• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

They are going to compromise some kind of deal , Norway type thing and spin it to sound like a win for all the sun/mail readers.

Hard Brexit isn't going to happen.

There's no way that gets through Parliament without tearing the Conservatives apart though.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I still don't get the UK stance. It's a disaster at worst, why bother at best. Brexit is pointless, stop it.

Somewhat unsurprisingly, the proposed transition would end just before the next (scheduled) General Election.

This isn't a negotiating position. It's how the Tories intend to save their own skin domestically.

Xando

Maybe it's a cunning plan to confuse the EU negotiators enough that they hurt themselves in their confusion and accidentally agree to everything we want. Or something.

I noticed that Davis said he wouldn't be able to put forward a figure for any financial commitments in October or November. So I guess the whole customs union discussions will have to wait a while longer.
If true this will start the real exodus.

Businesses still expect a transition to be agreed in time for the next FY. If there’s nothing they’ll have to activate their contingency plans.

Uzzy

If true this will start the real exodus.

Businesses still expect a transition to be agreed in time for the next FY. If there’s nothing they’ll have to activate their contingency plans.

Davis was talking about it this morning on the Today programme. He keeps banging on about 'legal obligations' and how the UK will pay any real obligations. Obviously that might change when the next round of negotiations start, but we'll see. There's not a lot of appetite to pay the EU a big chunk of money from any party.

I see no problem with that.

Every cloud...

I mean sure, I don't either. Theresa May, on the other hand, would certainly want to avoid that. So even if she wanted to avoid a Hard Brexit, and I've seen no indication that she wants to, it'd be a very courageous act to push for a softer Brexit knowing that it'd split the party. She'd probably not even survive as leader long enough to do it.

Jackpot

Banned
So have we had a single tangible benefit from Brexit at all? Like not just joke Farage-is-gone but anything like a short-term halt on payments to an overseas body?

So have we had a single tangible benefit from Brexit at all? Like not just joke Farage-is-gone but anything like a short-term halt on payments to an overseas body?

Well, from the Daily Express headline today:
House Prices Up By £10,000

Now we are in the market for a property right now and are selling our flat, and I can tell you from experience that is not fucking true at all. Prices are noticeably dropping and we had to shave £25k off the flats initial value.

Protome

I mean sure, I don't either. Theresa May, on the other hand, would certainly want to avoid that. So even if she wanted to avoid a Hard Brexit, and I've seen no indication that she wants to, it'd be a very courageous act to push for a softer Brexit knowing that it'd split the party. She'd probably not even survive as leader long enough to do it.
Hard Brexit would split the party too. A large portion of the Tories are opposed to it. May is literally only holding on to power because everyone knows Brexit will be disasterous for the Tories and they want to try and pin as much blame as possible on her so next election they can go in with someone new who goes "Yeah but May was terrible, eh? Look how she fucked up Brexit"

OK, so can someone explain to me why the cost of games is going up due to the £'s value decreasing? First Paradox and now Sega seem to be in on this (if Football Manager's £37.99 price point is anything to go by). Digital prices no less.

Protome

OK, so can someone explain to me why the cost of games is going up due to the £'s value decreasing? First Paradox and now Sega seem to be in on this (if Football Manager's £37.99 price point is anything to go by). Digital prices no less.

If the £ is worth less then you need more of them to buy things. Lots of things, not just games are going up in price and will continue to because the £ isn't worth as much anymore.

Don't think of it as the price of games going up, think of it as the games staying the same price but the currency you're buying it with being worth less.

Uzzy

It means that disgraced former defence secretary Liam Fox will have a cushy job. So that's nice.

Hard Brexit would split the party too. A large portion of the Tories are opposed to it. May is literally only holding on to power because everyone knows Brexit will be disasterous for the Tories and they want to try and pin as much blame as possible on her so next election they can go in with someone new who goes "Yeah but May was terrible, eh? Look how she fucked up Brexit"

Yup. It's why we're seeing this absurd balancing act of quitting the customs union (to appease the Hard Brexiteers), only to join a temporary customs union that replicates it (to appease the Soft Brexiteers). I expect we'll see similar proposals coming for free movement and the single market.

oti

Banned

£ value goes down.
You need to pay X more £ for one €/¥/$.
If £ prices stay the same, companies lose revenue.
Hence, companies ask you to pay them more to balance out the £'s decrease in value.

Xando

So i haven‘t read the proposals yet but since german newspapers call them „nothing but fantasy“ i guess this went like everyone expected?

Uzzy

New info on the Irish Border proposals.

When Brexit talks resume in two weeks, Britain will ask for an exemption for all small traders and farmers from a host of customs, agricultural and food safety checks. In return, it aims to seek “regulatory equivalence” with the EU to try to avoid the need for inspections of live animals and billions of pounds worth of other goods crossing back and forth.

Officials refused to speculate what consequences this might have for limiting the scope of trade agreements with non-compliant countries such as the US. Without matching regulations, the EU could block imports however, fearing that the open border is a back door into its consumer market.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
After the mad cow disease scare and the current egg crisis? After all the endless bickering about TTIP and American foodstuffs?

Am I being a pawn in a game of British maskirovka?

Edit: This "streamlining" business sounds more and more like a load of bollocks.

The ”partnership" model would create new red tape because products that entered the joint EU-UK customs zone would have to be traced to their end users to see whether EU or UK tariff levels should apply.

Traders would then have to claim back a discount if the relevant tariff was lower than the one that they first paid on the EU-UK customs border.

The ”streamlined" model would also create ”an increase in administration", the UK paper said, because importers would have to fill out self-assessments of customs duties to avoid border checks.

The new arrangements would enter into force when the ”interim" deal expired in 2021 or 2022, David Davis, the British minister in charge of Brexit, told the BBC on Tuesday.

He said at an event in Edinburgh the same day that the interim deal might expire at different times for different economic sectors.

”The implementation period comes into play with different people in different ways ... It may well vary by sector," he said.
This isn't a well calibrated plan to confuse the eurocrats. This is the result of Brexiteers jumping in with no plan, no perspective and no administrative apparatus ready to cope with the realities of leaving the EU.

Given the current state of things regarding the Irish border, I cringe thinking about what is going to happen when Spain inevitably pulls the trap Gibraltar card. What comes right after omnishambles?

Uzzy

I believe the term is 'constructive ambiguity'

I don't see how this works without giving the EU effective control over UK food and agriculture regulation, along with preventing disgraced former defence secretary Liam Fox from signing trade deals with America to import chlorinated chicken and hormone treated beef.

Mr. Sam

We need true believers to turn around and say, "Look, I know we promised unicorns that shit gold - but this just isn't workable."

After the mad cow disease scare and the current egg crisis? After all the endless bickering about TTIP and American foodstuffs?

Am I being a pawn in a game of British maskirovka?

Edit: This "streamlining" business sounds more and more like a load of bollocks.

This isn't a well calibrated plan to confuse the eurocrats. This is the result of Brexiteers jumping in with no plan, no perspective and no administrative apparatus ready to cope with the realities of leaving the EU.

Given the current state of things regarding the Irish border, I cringe thinking about what is going to happen when Spain inevitably pulls the trap Gibraltar card. What comes right after omnishambles?

Surprisingly nothing is more streamlined than being within the EU. Strange how these things work out...

jelly

Amusing but probably not wrong. Nobody else seems to be thinking straight. Corybn isn't the Tories but still full steam ahead on Brexit but don't say it! Well, you have the Tories, no explanation there and the Lib Dems, useless. Should be interesting but hopefully not full of idiots, get some people who professional backgrounds and not just career politicians.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-davis-aide-launch-new-political-party-reverse-brexit-second-referendum-james-chapman-the-a7895411.html

David Davis's former chief of staff is to launch a new political party to “reverse Brexit with no second referendum”.

Mr Chapman, who left his role at the Department for Exiting the European Union because of his despair at the Brexit process, will launch the party at the People’s March for Europe rally on 9 September.

“I did my best to make Brexit work for a year – and it won't," he said. "There is no upside and it is clear that every sector of our economy will suffer for decades to come. Project Fear is Project Fact.

“The first duty of our politicians is to stand up for the interests of their constituents – and that means sound money and job opportunities for all. The MPs that have left Britain careering towards a cliff worse than Black Wednesday have failed in that duty and are guilty of misconduct in public office.”

Mr Chapman said the People’s March would welcome people of all political parties.

“It's time for all of those with consciences to put nation before country and make sure we are Great Britain once again – not the Little Britain of Nigel Farage and Vladimir Putin's wet dreams."

The move is likely to draw comparisons to En Marche, the political movement started by French president Emmanuel Macron. En Marche billed itself as a centrist alternative to the entrenched left and right-wing parties.

Mr Chapman claimed his former boss has been "working three day week since day one" and that he had former Ukip leader Nigel Farage on speed dial.

saying he had witnessed him being “drunk, bullying and inappropriate”, criticised Mr Davis over comments about Labour's shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott, referring to an encounter in which Mr Davis had to apologise for remarks made about Ms Abbott in private text messages after the vote to trigger Article 50.

If the £ is worth less then you need more of them to buy things. Lots of things, not just games are going up in price and will continue to because the £ isn't worth as much anymore.

Don't think of it as the price of games going up, think of it as the games staying the same price but the currency you're buying it with being worth less.

£ value goes down.
You need to pay X more £ for one €/¥/$.
If £ prices stay the same, companies lose revenue.
Hence, companies ask you to pay them more to balance out the £'s decrease in value.

Greedy bastards never do it the other way though when the £ is super strong! Thanks for explaining :)

Theonik

Greedy bastards never do it the other way though when the £ is super strong! Thanks for explaining :)
It's not about greed as much as what drives prices down is competition, and when talking about copyrighted materials they are by definition not under direct competition. (copyright gives a timed monopoly on the sale of a work!)

Now, when you are looking at physical retail, retailers themselves do drive prices down because of competition which is why those tend to be very responsive to currency fluctuations. But with digital that isn't really the case.

Xando

German foreign minister on Brexit

DHXVP9qXYAEvuSD.jpg

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterso...find-uk-has-no?utm_term=.vlQlqVMRn#.lv4ew8Nzb

So this is pretty major

Sky Sources: Next phase Brexit talks and "sufficient progress" anticipated to be pushed back to December as looks to next German Government
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/897881066022817801

Uzzy

It sure is a good thing that the UK Government isn't on a tight deadline, one entirely chosen by them, to complete negotiations and come out the other end with a workable package. That'd be awkward.

TimmmV

I guess that was the plan all along.

The UK to revert to a bronze age minarchist society of farmers and herders.

Being back in the bronze age is a small price to pay for no browns getting our sovereignty back!!

Edit:

Not sure this is news (or even recently released), but I came across these videos by BBC Three before and thought they might be interesting for this topic:

Things not to say to someone who voted Brexit

Things not to say to someone who voted Remain

Obviously the first one has me triggered af

Good to see the real experts on trade writing for the telegraph.

DHgTW6TW0AIf3rF.jpg

...because they're under the same fucking sovereign and government you fucking hack of a writer. This would be an argument for keeping us in the EU, and indeed, speed rushing to full integration!

Burai

shitonmychest57
Good to see the real experts on trade writing for the telegraph.

DHgTW6TW0AIf3rF.jpg

Yet another article suggesting the best way to make Brexit work is for the rest of the world to do something self harming for no logical reason whatsoever to give us a leg up.

Things are looking pretty, pretty good.

Uzzy

So I've read some more about the IEA's proposals. They're advocating for the UK to adopt unilateral free trade, by dropping tariffs to zero and minimising non-tariff barriers. Sure, manufacturing and agriculture will be destroyed, but it doesn't matter as those aren't substantial parts of the economy anymore. It's more important to ensure consumers have cheap prices.

Which non-tariff barriers should be removed though? Well, there's this paragraph in the paper the IEA put out.

Nowadays achieving free trade isn't so much about tariffs or classic bread and-butter trade policies; it is about regulation and the general degree of economic freedom. Many restrictions to genuine free trade arise from current regulations in areas such as the environment, consumer protection, health and safety, and data security. These regulatory restrictions are pervasive and constitute barriers to free trade that are at least as important as the barriers created from trade policy.

Sounds like they want us to drop our regulations down to third world levels. Forget chlorinated chicken, we're going to have melamine in the milk!

What's really worrying is that Tory MPs like Mogg have parroted some of these ideas, just dropping tariffs entirely and dropping regulations on environmental and safety issues to India's level.

Xando

So I've read some more about the IEA's proposals. They're advocating for the UK to adopt unilateral free trade, by dropping tariffs to zero and minimising non-tariff barriers. Sure, manufacturing and agriculture will be destroyed, but it doesn't matter as those aren't substantial parts of the economy anymore. It's more important to ensure consumers have cheap prices.

Which non-tariff barriers should be removed though? Well, there's this paragraph in the paper the IEA put out.

Sounds like they want us to drop our regulations down to third world levels. Forget chlorinated chicken, we're going to have melamine in the milk!

What's really worrying is that Tory MPs like Mogg have parroted some of these ideas, just dropping tariffs entirely and dropping regulations on environmental and safety issues to India's level.
I‘m not too deep into this but wouldn’t the UK need to convince everyone to leave the WTO before this would be allowed in international trade?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I‘m not too deep into this but wouldn't the UK need to convince everyone to leave the WTO before this would be allowed in international trade?

Correct. Under the terms of the WTO, all WTO members are accorded Most Favourable Nation status with one another, meaning you can't treat any particular WTO member better than any other WTO member. To put 0% tariffs on all UK products, a state would have to put 0% on all tariffs on all WTO members, or they're breaching the terms of the WTO. It's very unclear to me many countries would be willing to do this.

This is also ignoring that tariffs are very low anyway. The average tariff among WTO members is 2.7% - it's a tiny part of what obstructs trade. The more significant barrier is actually regulatory differences - the most efficient way of producing chicken is different in the US to the EU because there are different regulatory standards, which means that a US chicken-exporter to the EU that also sells domestically is going to be more expensive than a domestic EU chicken exporter because they have to meet the costs of two regulatory standards and the latter only one. The most important part of free trade deals isn't tariffs at all, it's synching up regulatory standards - but this is exactly the thing that Brexiteers least want to do. If anything, from the talk of Mogg and co., they want to gut worker's rights and the like at a time when the EU is largely moving in the opposite direction.

This is just a terrifying shambles.

Uzzy

I don't think their position is that the 0% tariff should be reciprocated. They say that it'd be nice, but if not then that shouldn't stop the UK. I don't think the WTO would care if the UK unilaterally went to 0% tariffs for all imports from any country?

Xando

I don't think their position is that the 0% tariff should be reciprocated. They say that it'd be nice, but if not then that shouldn't stop the UK. I don't think the WTO would care if the UK unilaterally went to 0% tariffs for all imports from any country?
I don’t see what’s in it for the UK if it imports every trashcan available at 0% when exports are bound by WTO rules.

That’s like saying i‘ll buy your car for 5€ and then offer you my car for 7€ while your neighbor offers it for 6€.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom