• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge compares PS4/XB1 games (that nasty, awful XB1 sharpening filter at work)

Why is my PS4 games looking infinitely better than my X1 games. If the TV was the problem with calibration, makes no sense why it looks different for one vs the other. I also have no issues with Forza which is Native 1080p and Ryse which is 900p (and Crytek used their own scaler).

This still makes no sense. I've already calibrated it to death, and I still get these issues with any game that is lower resolution scaling up to 1080p on X1.

I was responding to the example you gave regarding Timu's situation. Obviously you're having issues but there are people playing Dead Rising 3 and other games without any black crush at 1080P. Now, there is no one playing Dead Rising 3 without that terrible sharpening filter at 1080P but oh well. Hopefully they get rid of it soon or allow it's disabling as seen in BF4. My only other recommendation is to check what you have your color depth at and make sure it fits your T.V.

I usually don't have particularly strong feelings about these side-by-side comparisons one way or the other, but making the Caribbean look that dark and murky is just criminal. I can see how it would appeal to a certain subset of gamers, but trust me: video game sunshine won't hurt you the way the real thing does. You don't need an emo filter.

Hawk269

2 Titans and you can't tell the difference? What's the saying, silk hat on a pig? Maybe pearls before swine is better.

Wow. Learn to read. I did not say I cannot tell the difference. What I did say is that overall, Ryse looks better overall than any PC game I have played. Just the forest level in Ryse is better than many PC games with similar type of environments.

Again...not saying I cannot tell the difference.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Wow. Learn to read. I did not say I cannot tell the difference. What I did say is that overall, Ryse looks better overall than any PC game I have played. Just the forest level in Ryse is better than many PC games with similar type of environments.

Again...not saying I cannot tell the difference.

You sir, disgust me

I was responding to the example you gave regarding Timu's situation. Obviously you're having issues but there are people playing Dead Rising 3 and other games without any black crush at 1080P. Now, there is no one playing Dead Rising 3 without that terrible sharpening filter at 1080P but oh well. Hopefully they get rid of it soon or allow it's disabling as seen in BF4. My only other recommendation is to check what you have your color depth at and make sure it fits your T.V.

So the sharpening filter is universal but the contrast filter is hit or miss?

Is it really that bad? I prefer the XB1 screenshots to be honest.

Point is, you can get that look by yourself with vivid mode or tv tweaking. The same can't be said for the reverse.

When I'm playing BF4 I go in a dark room and I can't see shit because of crushed blacks and the only solution is to turn up brightness to the point where it ruins the overall picture.

Hawk269

You sir, disgust me

Ok. You said I could not tell the difference, when I never mentioned ANYTHING about not being able to tell the difference between my PC games and my PS4/Xbox One games. My point was that as an overall game visually, Ryse overall is better that any PC game I played (visually speaking).

Not sure why you are attacking me and going as far as saying that I "disgust" you. It sounds like you have a serious problem with something, not sure what or why?

No Love

Banned
Clearly there's more than just pixel resolution at play in that Gif. Definitely not the same assets.

Oh noez, why does 720p look better here? :p

iJ8XUxe1TStD5.gif

Wrong. Exact same assets.

QaaQer

Ok. You said I could not tell the difference, when I never mentioned ANYTHING about not being able to tell the difference between my PC games and my PS4/Xbox One games. My point was that as an overall game visually, Ryse overall is better that any PC game I played (visually speaking).

Not sure why you are attacking me and going as far as saying that I "disgust" you. It sounds like you have a serious problem with something, not sure what or why?

I think they are intrepreting it as 'ryse is the best looking game every on any platform'. Maybe you should fill us in on what else you've played, whether you have a decent 1440p monitor, etc. Because Ryse is 900p and running on pretty low end gear. Now if you said it was the best console game you've played, well nobody would be disgusted.

Einbroch

Banned
Why do all PS4 screenshots on almost all sites have washed out colors when compared to the One? Capture technology or something?

It's weird because it was true last gen too.

gcubed

I weep when I see people blast the contrast and sharpening up and saying it looks more real

The colors aren't washed out people, they are accurate. The Xbox destroys the image and crushes black's, it's in no way "better" in any true sense besides the fact that you like the fake neon look. Their color gamut has been screwed since the 360

shem935

Banned
Why do all PS4 screenshots on almost all sites have washed out colors when compared to the One? Capture technology or something?

It's weird because it was true last gen too.

The Xbox has an upscaler that adds contrast and sharpens the image. It also crushes the blacks. The exact same results can be replicated via your tv or monitor for the ps4 and pc. Just at a higher res.

Einbroch

Banned
The Xbox has an upscaler that adds contrast and sharpens the image. It also crushes the blacks. The exact same results can be replicated via your tv or monitor for the ps4 and pc. Just at a higher res.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I just always see the Playstation versions of screens and they're always so washed out when they aren't on my TV.

Clearly there's more than just pixel resolution at play in that Gif. Definitely not the same assets.

iJ8XUxe1TStD5.gif
The lessors who haven't played Dark Souls expose themselves.

To be fair, though, the artists at From Software are god-damn wizards. To think that their high resolution assets could have been obscured forever in the fog of 720p for which they were created. I mean, they never even knew that their game would be ported to PC one day, and despite that, created such a detailed world that is done a monumental disservice in its original final product.

Is it really that bad? I prefer the XB1 screenshots to be honest.
If it doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Count your blessings. What matters for you as an individual, in the end, is how you feel about it.

I weep when I see people blast the contrast and sharpening up and saying it looks more real

The colors aren't washed out people, they are accurate. The Xbox destroys the image and crushes black's, it's in no way "better" in any true sense besides the fact that you like the fake neon look. Their color gamut has been screwed since the 360

Like I was saying before. Try playing battlefield and walking into a dark room without seeing a damn thing. Crushed blacks is stupid as hell and no one should advocate it.

iJ8XUxe1TStD5.gif

You're consistently one of the most uninformed posters on this site when it comes to graphical discussions.

None of the assets were redone for that game, and if you can't see that, even in THAT straight forward gif, then I don't know what else to say.

To be fair, though, the artists at From Software are god-damn wizards. To think that their high resolution assets could have been obscured forever in the fog of 720p for which they were created. I mean, they never even knew that their game would be ported to PC one day, and despite that, created such a detailed world that is done a monumental disservice in its original final product.

It's actually pretty common to develop textures and other primary assets in a much higher resolution than you intend to use and then shrink to fit the performance needs of the game. It's just an easier workflow in general. The real perplexing part is when you have developers who are releasing their PC version simultaneously but for some reason don't include their hi-res assets with the PC version. (The obvious example being Skyrim, where Bethesda just decided to release the PC version with console-size textures and then threw the HD ones up for download on Steam when people called them on it.)

ekim

Then you have eyesight issues, get to your optician's immediately for a check-up .

Why not accept, that people might like the sharp look more? I know it's a cheap trick to make up for the lower resolution but just because of that it doesn't look bad per se. It's like telling someone who likes the Ramones, that their music is shit because they can only play 3 power chords.

(Disclaimer: I also prefer the PS4 shots)

Forget the filters man those X1 shots look plain ugly in general. When aliasing is that horrendous in a still shot, it would only be much worse in motion.

moniker

How can some people defend this crap? If you want a shit image just turn up the contrast and sharpening on your TV instead of ruining the image quality for everyone.

peace

Neo Member
If that's what AC4 looks like on the One then isn't the WiiU version better looking? It appears so by the pics.

peace

Neo Member
You're consistently one of the most uninformed posters on this site when it comes to graphical discussions.

None of the assets were redone for that game, and if you can't see that, even in THAT straight forward gif, then I don't know what else to say.

I think what he means is there are more bushes (and other details?) in the 720P pic (look on the right for example)

Hoo-doo

Banned
People with Xbones saying they can't see the differences or prefer the Xbone version for added "crispness" or "pop".
People with PS4's saying the differences are huge and that the PS4 is da bes.

These threads are always the fucking same. Only good thing about it is the people getting caught underneath bish's hammer.

I don't understand the sharpening filter at all. Doesn't the 360 have a decent upscaler? Couldn't MS just have used that?

It's more about making the upscaled image more appealing to uninformed customers. Even in this topic you can find people preferring the XB1 shots. They don't know it's simply because the higher contrast makes the colors pop more at first glance. But if you look closer, it also hides details and the artificial sharpness mostly enhances the flaws like aliasing (while some people would call it a crisp look).

It's basically the same thing companies do with the TVs they sell. Out of the box, most TVs are set up ridiculously because many people expect their new HDTV to have brilliant colors etc. (while they ignore that all actors have orange faces...).

Personally, I first turned off every picture "enhancer" of my HDTV. Then calibrated using a few test images (basically setting everything back to 0 / 50). Once that was done, I slightly played around with basic settings like gamma, contrast and saturation to appeal to my personal taste (I do like the image to pop a bit more).
Professional developers will also create their games according to "normal" settings (of calibrated monitors) and not the surreal setting modes of TVs. You will know that you set it up right when you almost NEVER have to adjust the ingame brightness settings for their test images.

You can re-create that XB1 filter with any TV (if you really want to...), so for now it's forced on everyone. Even if you like it, you should be for having it removed because you should instead change the TV settings so all the games look that way to you. The games using this filter would then looks worse however, even to you :p

Bishop89

Does anyone have a list of standout ridiculous quotes from users in this thread I can laugh at?

This is the kind of topic which would bring out the salt and blatant bias.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Why not accept, that people might like the sharp look more? I know it's a cheap trick to make up for the lower resolution but just because of that it doesn't look bad per se. It's like telling someone who likes the Ramones, that their music is shit because they can only play 3 power chords.

(Disclaimer: I also prefer the PS4 shots)

The XBone screenshots look like jagged mess. I don't see what sharp look they have? Unless these images have been distorted to up-play the differences?

Personally, I first turned off every picture "enhancer" of my HDTV. Then calibrated using a few test images (basically setting everything back to 0 / 50). Once that was done, I slightly played around with basic settings like gamma, contrast and saturation to appeal to my personal taste (I do like the image to pop a bit more).

Yes. The first thing to do with a new TV is make sure the blacks are black, and not a gray/white washed out mess.

Then you have eyesight issues, get to your optician's immediately for a check-up .

There is maybe nothing wrong with his eyesight. It's his opinion.

People in this thread have stated they preferred Xbone's pictures only cements to me that Microsoft does really cater to a certain group of people. It goes beyond NHL, tv or Kinect. They even go on the terrain of visual disparity. This was clear to me last gen when certain titles like Forza, a simulator look in areas as flashy as Need for Speed, but this new generation they have gone as far as to artifically tamper with a developers visual creation.

They seem to choose for division and hope that it works out for them. Although GAF rightfully despises the upscaler, I am almost certain that in the real world people actually see these images and prefer the Xbone, because the colors are more vivid.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I think what he means is there are more bushes (and other details?) in the 720P pic (look on the right for example)
Talking about the Dark Souls GIF, not the other one.

Haunted

Assassin's Creed is such a mixed bag, graphically. Sometimes it looks like a poor last gen game, sometimes it looks just great.

Gold Member
That colour / darkening is awful on X1 but aside from that the images look pretty similar IMO. That said I have AC4 (on PS4) and it looks way better in motion than that image shows so I don't even think comparing screenshots tells the whole story here. I was really impressed with it personally, especially given its a cross gen release.

Nictel

I don't know about the p's but I do know about the aliasing:

Put the slider on the AC4 screen over the boat, on the Ghosts screen over the 'Odin' name and check out the solar panels. On the other games I don't really see much difference other than, again, some slight aliasing.

That being said, Forza looks great. The PS4 has a slight edge with the multi-platform games.

Top Bottom