• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge compares PS4/XB1 games (that nasty, awful XB1 sharpening filter at work)

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Fucking A. The AC4 images in the first post make me regret blowing over a grand on new consoles. They both look like shit compared to the PC version which I am currently playing.

HORRORSHØW

Is that Squall?

9G6Qdzx.png

I know the screens are zoomed in to show all the pixels but those screens don't fully translate to reality. 1080p is obviously clearer than 720p but nobody's going to be that up close/zoomed in to their TV and on a 32" 720p TV you might be hard pressed to find a difference.

zebaz08

The technophiles' obsession with resolution is frankly quite disgusting at this point when it's quite obvious that there are more important things that should be focused on. I'm glad that at least MS are being visionaries in this regard with the XB1 and their labor-of-love filter that greatly improves picture quality.
LOL

iceatcs

I know the screens are zoomed in to show all the pixels but those screens don't fully translate to reality. 1080p is obviously clearer than 720p but nobody's going to be that up close/zoomed in to their TV and on a 32" 720p TV you might be hard pressed to find a difference.

That's not true, because 1080p is a lot, not that small step over 720p.

It's a lot for me to see the difference on the bigger screen, so you can remove "nobody".

I looked at both images and the XB1 version looks more cinematic. The darker image actually works with the type of game it is and it being at 900P is no small feat. The games basically look the same because 900p isn't that much worse than 1080P. Just do the math, 1080-900= 180. Microsoft could've went with a much stronger console but then they realized they can make a better software for their OS and still get games looking good since the resoultion differences are minor. They basically just did a 180 and achieved balance. 720P is great too since not every even owns 1080P tvs. 720P game will look better than a 1080P game with bad graphics.

*cringes*

Mononoke

Banned
Dead Rising 3 looks like ass too on a 1080p TV because of the filter crushing the blacks and adding the sharpening effect. I think it looks worse then anything posted in this thread. So many jaggies.

Racer1977

Did this thread get invaded by misterxmedia or something? Some posts read like his writing style.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with some people, we live in a world were some will swear blind 720p is superior to 1080p, and ridiculous sharpening effects, which ruin an image, somehow "pop".

Some of these lot are still looking for that "secret sauce" in the Xbox One, as if it's some secret NASA shit, rather than standard PC tech!

ypo

Originally Posted by Preview/beta build with sharpening and contrast filter

YzleSBk.jpg

Originally Posted by Final retail version without the filter

s13zOVd.jpg

The clueless are going to look at the first shot and be like "OMG Xbone version has the better textures"....

synce

Yeah most people would say Xbone is better in every instance. These are of course the people who buy the glossiest, most over-saturated monitor at Best Buy

weevles

The few people I know who got an XBO love the sharpening filter. They think it looks better than PS4. >_<

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah most people would say Xbone is better in every instance. These are of course the people who buy the glossiest, most over-saturated monitor at Best Buy

Or people that don't don't own a 50+ inch 1080p TV and are only judging screenshots. These look much worse on a big screen. As someone that owns both systems it's night and day how poor X1 games look in comparison.

Hawk269

Or people that don't don't own a 50+ inch 1080p TV and are only judging screenshots. These look much worse on a big screen. As someone that owns both systems it's night and day how poor X1 games look in comparison.

I own both, I have a 65" Sony XBR65" 4k set and I disagree with what you are saying. I have what is arguably the best looking PS4 game in KillZone and NBA 2k14, but they are no match for the visuals in Ryse. Say what you want about the gameplay, which I think is great when played on a higher difficulty.

Ryse hands down, visually is the most stunning game I have played and I also have a high end gaming rig with 2 GTX Titans paired with a I73930k CPU and with all the PC games I have, I still think Ryse is overall the best looking game with some amazing visual effects.

Saying that it is night and day and that X1 games look poor in comparison is totally off base as Forza is also extremely impressive visually as well.

It's really shocking there is such a difference in multiplat games at launch

Does this mean there will be a substantial difference next year? And the years after?

Dragon

Banned
I own both, I have a 65" Sony XBR65" 4k set and I disagree with what you are saying. I have what is arguably the best looking PS4 game in KillZone and NBA 2k14, but they are no match for the visuals in Ryse. Say what you want about the gameplay, which I think is great when played on a higher difficulty.

Ryse hands down, visually is the most stunning game I have played and I also have a high end gaming rig with 2 GTX Titans paired with a I73930k CPU and with all the PC games I have, I still think Ryse is overall the best looking game with some amazing visual effects.

Saying that it is night and day and that X1 games look poor in comparison is totally off base as Forza is also extremely impressive visually as well.

Forza is impressive visually? Smh.

The important thing to take away is that the PS4 has the ability to look like the XB1 version (especially if you mess with your TV). But the Xbox One version cannot look like the PS4 version.

Removing the sharpening filter, screwing with your TV, whatever. It can't beat a native 1080p image.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

2 Titans and you can't tell the difference? What's the saying, silk hat on a pig? Maybe pearls before swine is better.

Forza is impressive visually? Smh.

Interiors are beautifully modeled and the cars match the photo modes of the last games on the track(outside of effects like motion blur and the like) It's a great looking game despite some of the aliasing and crowds. Do hope they add anisotropic filtering for the next game or a patch or something. Draw distance on the tracks isn't great.

2 Titans and you can't tell the difference? What's the saying, silk hat on a pig? Maybe pearls before swine is better.
He can tell the difference in the screenshots posted. He's saying Ryse which is an Xbox One exclusive is the best looking game he's played. This was in response to a question saying Xbox One games as a whole are inferior to all PS4 games.

hawk2025

Heh, I thought quite the opposite.

Killzone looks markedly better than Ryse (I've finished Ryse, not KZ).

Regardless, the comparison without using multiplatform games is completely pointless.

Mononoke

Banned

Ryse is the exception to the rule, it looks gorgeous. But Dead Rising 3 upscaled to 1080 has crushed blacks and jaggies up the wazoo. The jaggies are also much more noticeable on Battlefield (I had a friend bring his copy over to compare it on my PS4) -- and the X1 version just looks worse.

I don't know what to say, but the jaggies + crushed blacks definitely look worse on X1 and overall PS4 titles look a lot more cleaner. They need to fix their scaler, or whatever setting they are applying to these games.

Ryse is the exception to the rule, it looks gorgeous. But Dead Rising 3 upscaled to 1080 has crushed blacks and jaggies up the wazoo. The jaggies are also much more noticeable on Battlefield (I had a friend bring his copy over to compare it on my PS4) -- and the X1 version just looks worse.

I don't know what to say, but the jaggies + crushed blacks definitely look worse on X1 and overall PS4 titles look a lot more cleaner. They need to fix their scaler, or whatever setting they are applying to these games.

Dead Rising 3 doesn't have crushed blacks for me when using the upscaler. Definitely has the sharpening effect but the blacks look how they should.

Mononoke

Banned
Dead Rising 3 doesn't have crushed blacks for me when using the upscaler. Definitely has the sharpening effect but the blacks look how they should.

Well, I calibrated my TV and I still have crushed blacks. Again don't know what else to say. Maybe the X1 doesn't work well with certain TVs. But that's pretty unacceptable that the system is giving inconsistent performances. I don't recall this ever being an issue with the 360. And hell, there was that one thread where a GAF user was literally proving this issue existed with his capture card (the capture card would show the right colors and his actual TV was showing something much worse). Something isn't right here.

???

It's incredibly obvious right in the tutorial!

Yeah I know right? Lol that intro looks atrocious.

???

It's incredibly obvious right in the tutorial!

I've seen images people have posted that look terribly crushed. For whatever reason it might be, tv settings, perfect contrast/brightness calibration, etc I don't suffer from those issues. Could you'll have your Xbox Video settings set to Full Range instead of limited? Most T.V.s need limited range and only T.V.s from the past few years have support for 32/36 bit color.

Well, I calibrated my TV and I still have crushed blacks. Again don't know what else to say. Maybe the X1 doesn't work well with certain TVs. But that's pretty unacceptable that the system is giving inconsistent performances. I don't recall this ever being an issue with the 360. And hell, there was that one thread where a GAF user was literally proving this issue existed with his capture card (the capture card would show the right colors and his actual TV was showing something much worse). Something isn't right here.

Wasn't that Timu who later realized he was capturing at 720P(in the Xbox settings themselves) so the issues were unrelated?

Edit: He answered below.

pixlexic

Banned
xbone only has crushed blacks if you set it to full rgb. Limited still gives a darker image but thats different from crushed.

i dark image can be adjust to show correctly. crushed will never show correctly.

The issue is by having that darker image means problems people whole run everything through home theater set up where more than one device is on one hdmi input.

it needs to be fixed!

Timu

I've seen images people have posted that look terribly crushed. For whatever reason it might be, tv settings, perfect contrast/brightness calibration, etc I don't suffer from those issues. Could you'll have your Xbox Video settings set to Full Range instead of limited? Most T.V.s need limited range and only T.V.s from the past few years have support for 32/36 bit color.
It was mainly the gamma, now the screens are perfectly fixed.

hawk2025

No, no I couldn't.

Mononoke

Banned
xbone only has crushed blacks if you set it to full rgb. Limited still gives a darker image but thats different from crushed.

i dark image can be adjust to show correctly. crushed will never show correctly.

The issue is by having that darker image means problems people whole run everything through home theater set up where more than one device is on one hdmi input.

it needs to be fixed!

I don't have it set to full rgb, still has crushed blacks in certain games. Only when it scales to 1080p. Ryse for some reason is 100% unaffected.

Timu

So why was your capture card (when capturing at 720p) looking drastically different than what was showing up on your TV? I'm confused.
Probably m Roxio or something, lol, I just got the Avermedia and it's insanely accurate, like much better than the Roxio.

If he was capturing at 720p and it looked better, then doesn't that prove the problem? Meaning, his TV is scaling to 1080 (hence the crushed blacks + sharpening effect), the capture card is capturing 720p therefore it doesn't have the issue.

No, it would prove that there was an issue with the TV. If it was crushing blacks at 720P at the very least it has nothing to do with the xbox upscaler which is what you stated.

Mononoke

Banned

it needs to be fixed!

No, it would prove that there was an issue with the TV. If it was crushing blacks at 720P at the very least it has nothing to do with the upscaler which is what you stated.

Why is my PS4 games looking infinitely better than my X1 games. If the TV was the problem with calibration, makes no sense why it looks different for one vs the other. I also have no issues with Forza which is Native 1080p and Ryse which is 900p (and Crytek used their own scaler).

This still makes no sense. I've already calibrated it to death, and I still get these issues with any game that is lower resolution scaling up to 1080p on X1.

HTupolev

Clearly there's more than just pixel resolution at play in that Gif. Definitely not the same assets.
No, they're the same assets. Look at the jaggies on the geometry in the console-res shot; there's no way that image could clearly resolve those fine details with that resolution.

Mononoke

Banned

I just wanted to apologize for my original post. It was mean to assume everyone is having this problem. Clearly the issue is on my end. Don't understand why X1 won't play with my TV or WHY it only happens with lower resolutions scaling to 1080 (Forza which is Native 1080 doesn't have these issues, and Ryse which uses its own Scaler from Crytek doesn't have the issue either).

I also don't have this problem with PS4 titles. I'm really perplexed.

Top Bottom