• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - April High Quality New Screens, Boxart and Sex pic

Wallach

Snuggler said:
As a pro-Elf person, I see myself having a run in with this Henselt at some point or another. Maybe it's just my white guilt or something but I can't imagine shunning my Elf bros in favor for those dorks in the Order (or any racist human for that matter).

You're pro-Elf? I never would have guessed.

Begone from me. Do not return.

Snuggler said:
As a pro-Elf person, I see myself having a run in with this Henselt at some point or another. Maybe it's just my white guilt or something but I can't imagine shunning my Elf bros in favor for those dorks in the Order (or any racist human for that matter).

The thing is, the inmense majority of the squirrels were idiots. Dont get me wrong, the order was also idiotic, but against my typical gaming roots (be always a good person, helping those with more needs...) and would have probably go pro elf if the game was not so magnificent written to make both parties good and bad.
Normal elfs and dwarfs were awesome (dat zoltan), but the squirrels were a bunch of idiots that didnt know really for what they were fighting (like the majority of real world terrorists).

At first, even if i didnt like much the principles of the order, Sigfried was an awesome character and it made me root for them,
at the end I was neutral, its the best solution for the game, even if it was not totally good
. The leader of the Scoiatel, he was the biggest prick in the earth.

Akia

From The Dust said:
giq0v.jpg

oh my god

Slo

See, I really didn't like the Order because they seemed like preachy do-gooders, most of whom probably only joined to gain a small amount of power over others.

Heavy said:
Have they commented on length? Like an estimate

And is there multiple endings?

16 endings supposedly, and I remember them saying it's going to be as long as 1...but after seeing that map and how huge it is, I dunno man it looks like it'll be bigger

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Lovely pics! This thread has inspired me to finally install and play the copy of The Witcher that my brother gifted to me on Steam a while ago. 15 gb ahoy!

Is there anything I need to know before diving in to make the most of my playthrough? I'd love to finish it before the sequel arrives (already pre-ordered) but I don't want to rush it, either.

Zeliard

EviLore said:
Hype tends to burn in the end, so I usually try to approach the pre-release cycle dispassionately, but I don't think I can contain my enthusiasm for this game.

I am going to be in full-blown poopsock mode come May 17th.

It's going to be hard to fuck this one up. The devs are too mighty and don't kowtow to mainstream accessibility.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Exuro said:
16, 4 main endings and 4 variations of each.

Crap, I can't remember a good real RPG since a long time.

This will be awesome!

Dammit! The Witcher 2 isn't on the Australian Steam store for pre-order :(((

It was originally but it got taken down? Prolly because they're going to double the price for it later on.

In that case, are there any US gaffers that could gift the game to me? (I'll pay you first of course).

antonz

Len Dontree said:
Lovely pics! This thread has inspired me to finally install and play the copy of The Witcher that my brother gifted to me on Steam a while ago. 15 gb ahoy!

Is there anything I need to know before diving in to make the most of my playthrough? I'd love to finish it before the sequel arrives (already pre-ordered) but I don't want to rush it, either.
Only thing to really warn you is the first chapter can drag on a bit. Other than that its a great game.

antonz

momolicious said:
Wait, I really hope there wont be censorship for steam version
SOmething tells me the ESRB is gonna bitch over the sex stuff. The Sex cards from the first game were bitched about enough.

Zzoram

antonz said:
SOmething tells me the ESRB is gonna bitch over the sex stuff. The Sex cards from the first game were bitched about enough.

Maybe, or maybe not. The Witcher 2 may benefit from being lower profile and PC only. The ESRB let much more vulgar stuff go in the God of War series. Naked women with interactive sex minigames. That's far more than GTA or The Witcher has ever done.

Salaadin

antonz said:
Is censorship up to the esrb? I always thought it was a publisher thing.
Either way, I doubt the gog version will be censored at all.

antonz

Salaadin said:
If the ERSB decided to be dicks and say AO it would kill the game ever going retail. They basically can enforce censorship through the threat of the dreaded AO Rating.

Zzoram said:
Maybe, or maybe not. The Witcher 2 may benefit from being lower profile and PC only. The ESRB let much more vulgar stuff go in the God of War series. Naked women with interactive sex minigames. That's far more than GTA or The Witcher has ever done.

It really depends as you say alot of games can get away with things. Can a small time group like CD Projeckt get a pass like Sony can is an issue

Van Buren

Len Dontree said:

The combat gets better as you level up and unlock Geralt's longer attack sequences. During the prologue and chapter 1, just try to get a handle on the unique combat system. Preparation is half the battle in Witcher - suppose a quest informs you of the kind of monsters you might face, the optimal way of playing the game is to use the well-thought out alchemy system to brew various potions, oils and bombs to even the scales in your favor - you're no demi-god in this game. It's a wonderfully immersive game-world - take your time and read up on the rich in-game lore.

The main draw of the game is the quest design when it comes to choices and consequences - you will rarely experience black-and-white binary choices, and even the consequences are delayed and unpredictable. You can't just reload a save game and pick a different choice; you make the most of what you've chosen and forge ahead. More often than not, you end up choosing the lesser of 3 or 4 evils, and even then, it's all subjective.

itxaka

Defeatist
Salaadin said:

Although the rating system is technically voluntary, nearly all video games are submitted for rating. Many retail stores prohibit the sale of unrated video games and the major console manufacturers will not license games for their systems unless they carry ESRB ratings.

Seems like its up to the publisher/developer to decide based on the feedback and rating obtained, so no cuts should be made unless it's for specific backwards regions like AU

Riposte

Can someone list all the likely huge differences we could get from the first Witcher? They didn't seem to matter TOO much plot-wise in the game. For starters there is the demihuman(w/e)/templar/neutral choice... the romance choice...

EDIT: It might be the titties, but I am about to take off my pants for this game. PSP fund is about to be sabotaged for a new videocard.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Van Buren said:
The combat gets better as you level up and unlock Geralt's longer attack sequences. During the prologue and chapter 1, just try to get a handle on the unique combat system. Preparation is half the battle in Witcher - suppose a quest informs you of the kind of monsters you might face, the optimal way of playing the game is to use the well-thought out alchemy system to brew various potions, oils and bombs to even the scales in your favor - you're no demi-god in this game. It's a wonderfully immersive game-world - take your time and read up on the rich in-game lore.

The main draw of the game is the quest design when it comes to choices and consequences - you will rarely experience black-and-white binary choices, and even the consequences are delayed and unpredictable. You can't just reload a save game and pick a different choice; you make the most of what you've chosen and forge ahead. More often than not, you end up choosing the lesser of 3 or 4 evils, and even then, it's all subjective.

Thanks! It really sounds like the type of game I've been itching for lately. I do have a soft spot for Bioware games, but it's refreshing to hear about how this one handles choice. The sequel looks even better of course, but I've put off playing the first one far too long.

Zzoram

Animator said:
Everybody should be buying this on GoG.

I'd rather have the Steamworks version. It's a bit less money for them, but it's more convenient for me. I'm glad they gave me the choice.

Stop it CDProjekt, you're making the entire industry look bad.

Can't fucking wait. AHH SO CLOSE!

Salaadin said:
It was so cool when they revealed all the different ways to buy and the various perks for each. I expected them to basically pad the gog version up so much that any other feels worthless but they didn't. I still feel like gog is the way to go but its nice to see that the other DD services aren't getting bare bones versions

Fucking class act.

Salaadin

Zzoram said:
I'd rather have the Steamworks version. It's a bit less money for them, but it's more convenient for me. I'm glad they gave me the choice.
It was so cool when they revealed all the different ways to buy and the various perks for each. I expected them to basically pad the gog version up so much that any other feels worthless but they didn't. I still feel like gog is the way to go but its nice to see that the other DD services aren't getting bare bones versions

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:

According to the unofficial FAQ:

9. What about censorship in US / German / ___ version?

-### Guys, we really don't know about censorship yet. Seriously, we find out these things once we send a finished game to, for example, ESRB. That has to wait. Sorry

Sounds like they don't find out till after it's sent out for review, which must happen soon.

GOG version is said to not be censored regardless of what happens to Steam/Retail.

I guess Steam has a policy of no AO games (makes sense since, well, I never saw one)? It would seem trivial to have an AO version and a censored M version if need be.

Zzoram said:

Still, TW1 was censored at first but for some reason the newest versions are not, guess ESRB changed their mind or didn't care, or may CDP self-censored it at first then changed their minds.

I can't remember the last time I was this fucking hyped for a game and with it being pretty much a known quantity at this point, man, bring it.

Van Buren

Reading the unofficial FAQ at the Witcher forums for the first time, it's refreshing to see a developer add more RPG features to a sequel, especially given the trend over the past half-a-decade for mainstream RPG games.

Furthermore, reading up on the combat system for the game has dispelled my only real worry for the game.

Slo

Minsc said:
According to the unofficial FAQ:

Sounds like they don't find out till after it's sent out for review, which must happen soon.

GOG version is said to not be censored regardless of what happens to Steam/Retail.

I guess Steam has a policy of no AO games (makes sense since, well, I never saw one)? It would seem trivial to have an AO version and a censored M version if need be.

Still, TW1 was censored at first but for some reason the newest versions are not, guess ESRB changed their mind or didn't care, or may CDP self-censored it at first then changed their minds.

I'm hoping to buy it through steam, but I'll wait to see how this turns out.

fap.gif

^^^ Pretty much to everything in this thread.

Building a gaming rig over the summer when I start my new job and this game is a big reason why.

Top Bottom