• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - April High Quality New Screens, Boxart and Sex pic

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
kamspy said:
So which version is GAF buying?

I can't find a distinct advantage to any of them. They're all so great.

Normally I'd go with Steam for all the bells and whistles that version comes with, but CD-Projekt are doing things the right way and I will gladly buy it straight from them on GOG since they deserve it. They're self publishing the digital version as far as I know, and there is no retailer cut on GOG, so it's 100% profit for them. Plus, it still comes with all the pre-order bonus shit and a free game from GOG as well (you can select from several titles).

jackdoe

MrOogieBoogie said:
Same. Some of the more advanced combos look really awesome, too, making for some really satisfying finishes.
The game actually got quite easy when you realized that nearly every enemy could be stunned by the sign of Aard, which allowed you to one hit kill enemies, even some bosses, through the overpowered finisher.

I'll get down to the first game eventually. For some reason the controls didn't jive with me very well and some of the animations bugged me a lot. Those are the kind of superficial things that can keep me from sitting down with a game for the first hour or so, but once I can look past my shitty nitpicks I know there's a damn good game inside.

gdt

Fredescu said:
Yep. Witcher 1 has performance issues in certain sections no matter your configuration (eg the Trade Quarter), but you'll run it as well as anyone else. Also Crysis. There's a bunch of benchmarks here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html . Most figures are for the 6750, which your 6770 is just a slighty faster version of. The CPU may hold you back in certain CPU heavy games, but you will probably at least be able to run them decently at medium.

Wow, thanks for all the info.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
cj_iwakura said:
As much as I love GOG, I want that artbook.

I want it too, but then I realize I'll look at it once then put it in a drawer and forget about it for years.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Do I really need to play the first game to understand this?

I finally got round to downloading my Steam copy but it runs like shit and the mouse-based combat sucks. I don't know if i'd have time to play it all anyway even if I did like it.

I'm really hoping the sequel is more optimised (the signs pointing to yes), while controller support makes it de facto better for me.
I felt the same way as you. Put it down after a few hours due to the same reasons. I'm just going to wiki the story and maybe watch a video of the main ending cinematic if there is one.

kamspy

Snuggler said:
I want it too, but then I realize I'll look at it once then put it in a drawer and forget about it for years.

I've got shoe boxes full of LEs and CEs. Yet I still buy them. I don't even look at the art book most of the time. Maybe when the game is installing. After that it's off to the box. I have a problem.

Snuggler said:

I just find all the other stuff to be sorta dumb (dices, cards, etc). Only thing I care for is the artbook and the statue. Wish GoG would have had a middle sku, make the book available for retail by itself, or something. I mean, how many units of that $130 sku do they really think they're gonna sale?

antonz

AgentOtaku said:
I just find all the other stuff to be sorta dumb (dices, cards, etc). Only thing I care for is the artbook and the statue. Wish GoG would have had a middle sku, make the book available for retail by itself, or something. I mean, how many units of that $130 sku do they really think they're gonna sale?

probably a ton. The first game had a CE much like it but it was for Poland only. This time they are bringing it worldwide

Wallach

overcast said:
So this is never getting ported to us console dwellers? Because I don't have the money for a high end pc.

I think more effort was being put in to try and bring in a console version after the PC release. They had similar plans for the first game but they scrapped those plans eventually (probably after some programmers laughed them out of the room or threatened them with blunt objects). Chances are higher of the console port actually happening this time.

Heavy said:
I felt the same way as you. Put it down after a few hours due to the same reasons. I'm just going to wiki the story and maybe watch a video of the main ending cinematic if there is one.

Found a good synopsis from a NeoGAF user in another thread:

Castor Krieg said:
The main premise:

You are the Witcher, not some fucking emo loli boy in fantasy world. Ok, so it's a fantasy world, but no sir, no pussy elves in this tale! Here we have racism, we have humans hating elves, elves hating humans, dwarves hating humans, other human hating humans!

So you are the Witcher that just got robed. Motherfuckers! So you go on a quest full of T&A and adventure to find out WTF was stupid enough to steal from you, when everybody knows the only thing worse than a monster in your bed, is a Witcher next to your wife!

So yeah, you are the Witcher, you go around, sleep around, cut shit up. Once in a while you drink beer with your NOT HUMAN friend, then cut some more shit.

Zeliard

overcast said:
So this is never getting ported to us console dwellers? Because I don't have the money for a high end pc.

CD Projekt has indicated it's looking into releasing a console port after the PC version is out.

Making a console version after the fact, when it has no chance of negatively affecting the PC version, is the way to do it.

overcast

Zeliard said:
CD Projekt has indicated it's looking into releasing a console port after the PC version is out.

Making a console version after the fact, when it has no chance of negatively affecting the PC version, is the way to do it.
Yeah that makes sense. I'm in for sure. Does this follow the firsts plot?

Zeliard

overcast said:
Yeah that makes sense. I'm in for sure. Does this follow the firsts plot?

I've been staying away from reading about story elements for Witcher 2, but I have to imagine it continues the story. You can also import a Witcher 1 save, so they'll probably be linked pretty closely. First game ends on a pretty big cliffhanger as well.

Exuro

overcast said:
Alright then. Need to find a way to play the first, if at all possible. Thanks guys.
If you can't, there's a few lets play The Witcher videos on youtube that goes through the whole game. Not sure if you'd be interested in that but the story is too good to miss out on.

Exuro said:
Yeah, the last scene in TW1 is basically the set up of the story in TW2.

*sigh*

looks like I gotta install Witcher1 yet again and try to get past the 1st damn chapter ....so damn boring =(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AgentOtaku said:
*sigh*

looks like I gotta install Witcher1 yet again and try to get past the 1st damn chapter ....so damn boring =(

There is a good chance you might feel the same way about Witcher 2, despite the pretty graphics. It's likely to fix many of the issues with the first game, but ultimately I don't think it's gonna change anyone's mind who didn't like the first game.

That being said, chapter 1 is the least interesting part of the game. It takes a big step up after that. I dunno, maybe it's just me but I think people should be required to play TW1 before 2. It's like skipping Mass Effect and jumping right into ME2.

Exuro

Snuggler said:
There is a good chance you might feel the same way about Witcher 2, despite the pretty graphics. It's likely to fix many of the issues with the first game, but ultimately I don't think it's gonna change anyone's mind who didn't like the first game.

That being said, chapter 1 is the least interesting part of the game. It takes a big step up after that. I dunno, maybe it's just me but I think people should be required to play TW1 before 2. It's like skipping Mass Effect and jumping right into ME2.
I dunno, a lot of people I know that didn't like it said that combat was a big issue for them. Having a real time combat system may fix their issue with the game. And if the first chapter of TW2 is full of awesome unlike TW1's they may also continue playing.

Van Buren

AgentOtaku said:
*sigh*

How's this for a bit of motivation ? The Prologue and Chapter 1 are meant to ease you into the various RPG systems in place. Chapter 2 is where the game opens up and gets more and more intriguing with respect to the the main storyline and the various warring factions. Then there is a nice change-of-pace scenery. Finally, the game has a subtle and intelligently written and executed conclusion. Once you get comfortable with the initial rocky bits, the payoff is immense.

Exuro said:
I dunno, a lot of people I know that didn't like it said that combat was a big issue for them. Having a real time combat system may fix their issue with the game.
That would've sealed the deal for me. It's why I'm so excited for the sequel.

Snuggler said:

That being said, chapter 1 is the least interesting part of the game. It takes a big step up after that. I dunno, maybe it's just me but I think people should be required to play TW1 before 2.

I actually love the universe and have read The Last Wish/Blood of Elves. Witcher1 merely introduced me to the world. Even if Witcher2 isn't my cup of tea, I'll still love the literary works.

That said, my problem with the first one is aimless/amateurish the opening bits feel. You're just wandering around (let's put these quest points on opposites of the map!) and shit is vaguely explained. I'll try to keep an open mind this time around though....

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Exuro said:
I dunno, a lot of people I know that didn't like it said that combat was a big issue for them. Having a real time combat system may fix their issue with the game. And if the first chapter of TW2 is full of awesome unlike TW1's they may also continue playing.

True, but for what it's worth, you spend only a fraction of the game actually engaged in combat. I guess we all got different priorities, but I probably wouldn't even care about this game if I wasn't enjoying the hell out of the first game right now. Being able to continue the story is a big deal to me.

That said, my problem with the first one is aimless/amateurish the opening bits feel. You're just wandering around (let's put these quest points on opposites of the map!) and shit is vaguely explained. I'll try to keep an open mind this time around though....

It does get a lot better though. I thought the intro part was kinda bad and the first chapter was so-so, but chapter 2 onwards keeps getting better and better. It really is worth playing through, in my opinion of course.

Sober

AgentOtaku said:
Late to the thread but I saw this in the OP

WHAAAAAAA!!!!???
Not like PCs are strangers to controllers. Plus it's not like it's a shooter.

Native PC game without console port but with controller support? Master race indeed.

Sober said:
Not like PCs are strangers to controllers. Plus it's not like it's a shooter.

Native PC game without console port but with controller support? Master race indeed.

It's just nice as it's VERY rare that a PC centric/exclusive dev goes out of it's way to redesign the game UI for the controller ...even if they have NO intention of releasing it on consoles at some point (though in regards to W2, we'll see).
Most of the time, devs are inclined to say fuck it and "lol, PC players only use Keyboards, DUH!"

Animator

Ickman3400 said:
But then how do I put it on steam?

Add non steam game?

I am the biggest steam fanboy but its not like having this on steamworks matters its not a mp game. I think we should support the devs %100 since they deserve it. :)

Animator said:
Add non steam game?

I am the biggest steam fanboy but its not like having this on steamworks matters its not a mp game. I think we should support the devs %100 since they deserve it. :)
i hate steam with all my heart and still think you're wrong

Minsc

Gold Member
AgentOtaku said:
It's just nice as it's VERY rare that a PC centric/exclusive dev goes out of it's way to redesign the game UI for the controller ...even if they have NO intention of releasing it on consoles at some point (though in regards to W2, we'll see).
Most of the time, devs are inclined to say fuck it and "lol, PC players only use Keyboards, DUH!"

They absolutely have intentions of releasing it on consoles, the engine has been tested/built with mainly the 360 in mind, but also the PS3. Hence the lack of DX11, ideal CPU performance @ 3 cores... etc.

Minsc said:
They absolutely have intentions of releasing it on consoles, the engine has been tested/built with mainly the 360 in mind, but also the PS3. Hence the lack of DX11, ideal CPU performance @ 3 cores... etc.

Makes me even more hyped then as it should run pretty okay on my Asus G73JW Laptop

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
AgentOtaku said:
Makes me even more hyped then as it should run pretty okay on my Asus G73JW Laptop
Ok with modest settings :p

I'm sure this game will look great even on medium settings.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I wish I had a PC that could run this, it looks incredible. I hope they still plan on doing a console version. They came so close with the first game before it got canned :(

Beowulf28

Do you guys think my PC could run this at atleast Medium settings:

Radeon HD 4850 1 GB
Core 2 duo @ 2.8 ghz
4GB DDR2 Ram

????

Animator said:
Add non steam game?

Then you go ahead and do that and I'll get it on steam like every other game. Everyone's happy.

LiquidMetal14

Beowulf28 said:
Do you guys think my PC could run this at atleast Medium settings:

Radeon HD 4850 1 GB
Core 2 duo @ 2.8 ghz
4GB DDR2 Ram

????
Yes, take out blur and DoF and you should be good.

LiquidMetal14

AgentOtaku said:
May I ask what you base this on?
I have yet to play the game. Going mainly by what we all know. If you take out stuff like I mentioned (which I've done in a few games but not to chicken out but because I didn't like the blur), you should see a performance boost. I'm speculating really. Until the game is in our hands that's all I can do. Turn off redundant effects. Even tone down the AA and try enabling MLAA as that may give a big boost too.

Top Bottom