• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - April High Quality New Screens, Boxart and Sex pic

gdt

gdt5016 said:
Okay, I don't know shit about PC gaming. Can someone tell me if/how well this laptop will run this game?

HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition series
1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz
8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Is that all the info you need?

Just checking, and maybe a little OT. Will this let me run The Witcher 1 on high? Crysis 1?

/so excited to finally dip his toes into PC gaming

Trickster

It's gonna be so painful to not be able to play this game for a while after its release. But I just don't want to play this game on anything less than max.

Wallach

gdt5016 said:
Just checking, and maybe a little OT. Will this let me run The Witcher 1 on high? Crysis 1?

/so excited to finally dip his toes into PC gaming

The Witcher 1 kind of runs like a pig. That laptop will definitely play it, but I'm not quite as learned on mobile GPU/CPU to say it's going to run great on max settings. You're probably fine, and it's not like The Witcher is an expensive game anymore.

Fredescu

gdt5016 said:
Yep. Witcher 1 has performance issues in certain sections no matter your configuration (eg the Trade Quarter), but you'll run it as well as anyone else. Also Crysis. There's a bunch of benchmarks here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html . Most figures are for the 6750, which your 6770 is just a slighty faster version of. The CPU may hold you back in certain CPU heavy games, but you will probably at least be able to run them decently at medium.

kamspy

Now I just have to decide between the sweet box, easy access Steam, or DRM free GOG support.

I think this is harder than the game will be.

I want to see this in motion.

Some of the stuff looks really pretty, and other stuff has that weird UE3 "covered in saran wrap" look due to the lighting.

cj_iwakura

I haven't ponied up for a CE over $60 since Growlanser Generations.

That beauty in the OP might break me.

Don't really want the bust though.

Does Geralt have a new, better English VA? Please say yes.

The screenshot with dialog (Stay to get your fuck? really?) already dampens my hopes of a better script translation.

It's probably my biggest problem with The Witcher. Really enjoy the gameplay, but the translation is pretty poor and is exacerbated by the generally terrible voice acting.

cj_iwakura

piratepwnsninja said:

The screenshot with dialog (Stay to get your fuck? really?) already dampens my hopes of a better script translation.

It's probably my biggest problem with The Witcher. Really enjoy the gameplay, but the translation is pretty poor and is exacerbated by the generally terrible voice acting.

Same VA.

And I loved his VA in Witcher 1.

epmode

piratepwnsninja said:
I'm very sensitive to bad voice acting and I didn't notice any big problems with the first game. It's no Grim Fandango but it's certainly not "generally terrible". I really liked Geralt's voice too.

Maybe you played the original release and not the Enhanced Edition (which contained new voice acting, I think).

Desi

epmode said:
Maybe you played the original release and not the Enhanced Edition (which contained new voice acting, I think).
this is what I am thinking. The EE version was fine.

Zzoram

piratepwnsninja said:

People have a lot of nostalgia for Japanese->Engrish, I don't see how this is any different.

Exuro

jett said:
What are the books like? Did W1 follow them to the letter?
I'm still part way into the first book but they take parts and characters from it. I'm don't think it follows the exact story, but the world, characters and certain events happen in both. The beginning of the last wish is the intro cg cut scene of TW1 for example.

jett said:
What are the books like? Did W1 follow them to the letter?

Nirolak in not really right in this one.
Geralt
dies from a pitchfork of a stupid villager during some chaos
in the last book.
Jeneffer, his girlfriend and the girl "adopted" by them also die trying to save him.
This is told through the game, and the little story of how it happened is told by one of the innkeepers as a legend.

The Witcher starts with Geralt having amnesia some time after this event and not remembering very well what happened.
The intro about the striga at the start of the game, before you play, is an event portrayed in The Last Wish, the first book of the saga that contains small stories about adventures of Geralt, Dandelion and how he met Jeneffer.
Its said that the games are not cannon, but they follow the books perfectly (theres very little invented) and Sapowski helped writting the first game. The first game follow the books so well it needs to be cannon, to erase the stupid ending of the last book.

Also all the characters that appear in the books and the game are exactly the same. If you play before reading the books you will be surprised at how exact Geralt or Dandelion for example were portrayed by CD Projeckt in the game while you are reading the stories and hw they act in them. Is really one of the best adaptations of a work (movies, books...) to a videogame.
Sapkowski needs to be proud.

epmode said:
I'm very sensitive to bad voice acting and I didn't notice any big problems with the first game. It's no Grim Fandango but it's certainly not "generally terrible". I really liked Geralt's voice too.

I'm playing through it again right now, so Enhanced Edition. His delivery is flat and wooden (I actually remembered it being OK the first time through). It might not be so much the fault of the voice actor, but the director during the VO shoot. Thinking on it, that's probably the case. Lots of cases of strange inflection, trampling over punctuation, etc. Watched some clips of W2 and the dialog seems to have a better flow.

Plus, are you sure it's the same guy? In this clip Geralt sounds very different. Much less brooding and breathy with all his lines. Then again, better voice directing could be the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOGD-VQTW-E

Do I really need to play the first game to understand this?

I finally got round to downloading my Steam copy but it runs like shit and the mouse-based combat sucks. I don't know if i'd have time to play it all anyway even if I did like it.

I'm really hoping the sequel is more optimised (the signs pointing to yes), while controller support makes it de facto better for me.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I NEED SCISSORS said:

I finally got round to downloading my Steam copy but it runs like shit and the mouse-based combat sucks. I don't know if i'd have time to play it all anyway even if I did like it.

I'm really hoping the sequel is more optimised (the signs pointing to yes), while controller support makes it de facto better for me.
Witcher uses the Aurora engine... You may remember it from such wonderful, technical masterpieces as Neverwinter Nights(1 and 2). Nice way to say, it's a piece of shit. The game is never going to be optimized properly thanks to it.

Combat has always been the fault to the original. It gets mostly everything else right, but the combat left a lot to be desired. Make sure to select Keyboard+Mouse controls.

Exuro

I NEED SCISSORS said:

They've said that while it's still a sequel you dont NEED to have played the first game, but you'll get a lot more out of it. There's suppose to be flashbacks and such, not to mention the stuff that carries over from the first game. THe infinity engine sucks yeah and so does the combat, but the atmosphere and story kept me playing the game. The ending is crazy and amazing.

shintoki said:
Witcher uses the Aurora engine... You may remember it from such wonderful, technical masterpieces as Neverwinter Nights(1 and 2). Nice way to say, it's a piece of shit. The game is never going to be optimized properly thanks to it.

Combat has always been the fault to the original. It gets mostly everything else right, but the combat left a lot to be desired. Make sure to select Keyboard+Mouse controls.

That's the one I am using :/

And good to know I can still enjoy the sequel for what it is. Maybe some day i'll go back to W1 when I have a PC good enough to 'brute force' it.

jackdoe

I NEED SCISSORS said:
That's the one I am using :/

And good to know I can still enjoy the sequel for what it is. Maybe some day i'll go back to W1 when I have a PC good enough to 'brute force' it.
It doesn't take advantage of multiple cores though, so to "brute force" it, you need raw speed.

Exuro

cj_iwakura said:
Uh, am I the only one who liked Witcher 1's combat? It was simple, fluid, got things done with a quickness.
Not being able to chain different attacks together nor magics without the combo breaking was pretty terrible. Combat imo was just a short QTE event over and over. Did not like it.

Desi

cj_iwakura said:
Uh, am I the only one who liked Witcher 1's combat? It was simple, fluid, got things done with a quickness.
I did but I won't lie that I am happy they got rid of "Group style". Most of my troublesome fights were switching between group then to fast/strong on the last guy because the damage plummets into the ground.

jackdoe said:
It doesn't take advantage of multiple cores though, so to "brute force" it, you need raw speed.

Hmm, I did try disabling a core (got a dual core at 3.6ghz) but it actually made it worse.

Maybe Sandy Bridge can save us.

antonz

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Hmm, I did try disabling a core (got a dual core at 3.6ghz) but it actually made it worse.

Sandy certainly make things easier. Stock cooler 2500K will hit 4.5Ghz easily

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
cj_iwakura said:

Same. Some of the more advanced combos look really awesome, too, making for some really satisfying finishes.

overcast

Cat in the Hat said:
For those wondering what this looks like in motion. Here's a 10 minute walkthrough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUaz...layer_embedded
George-Takei-oh-my.jpg

Wallach

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I have an i5-750 that I typically run @ 3.6ghz and a 5850, and I get "mostly" 60 FPS with the typical problem areas being typical problem areas (although even those areas don't run awful, just bad in context). That engine just has significant issues, especially with how much they tried to get done with it.

On a side note, I'm glad they have controller support. I'll probably play W2 with a 360 pad.

antonz

kamspy said:
So which version is GAF buying?

I can't find a distinct advantage to any of them. They're all so great.
really just comes down to what you want. GOG is owned by CD Projekt so they get 100% of the cut which is why alot are going that route.

Top Bottom