• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Brawl96

I have like 1000 blocks on my system left. I wanted to go digital but I may have to go physical. what's the call? Do I upgrade my xl'a original 4gb (what size does everyone have?) or dare walk into a gamestop?

Mairu

I have like 1000 blocks on my system left. I wanted to go digital but I may have to go physical. what's the call? Do I upgrade my xl'a original 4gb (what size does everyone have?) or dare walk into a gamestop?

I bought a 32GB a couple months ago. I'm going digital because I think it's going to be nicer to have it always on the system in case I ever just want to play a song or two while I'm playing something else on the cart.

Not having the game on the store at midnight (or even 8am!) is kind of annoying though.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Invest in a 16 or 32GB microSD card with an adapter, they're shockingly cheap, and you'll be ready to stick it in in a New 3DS if you ever decide to upgrade.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M55C0NS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kouriozan

Both Curtain Call and Hyrule Warriors are in preparations and dispatching soon.
Feeling that day -2 again, gotta love Amazon.fr

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Picked up my copy & listened to the Selection Remix on the drive home. Surprised to see they still include Square Enix Members codes, considering they stopped with the yearly rewards last year or so....now I just gotta remember what my log-in info was.

Hoping to play a few songs before I gotta go back to class.

Anustart

Speaking of ems, I hate em too. I've done all songs on ultimate in the first except for ems. Only time I did ems was in the series mode.

The only complaint I've had so far is that the versus mode is kind of plagued by RNG with how powerful, or weak, the EX Burst skills that activate so often are. They can be as powerful as forcing you to hit exactly in the circle, or as weak as switching your health with the enemy when they have less health than you. However, the joys of having multiplayer as an option is worth it enough to overcome that minor issue.

This is exactly why I will only ever play with no EX Bursts online. They're way too random and unbalanced IMO.

Do some of the longer songs just cut mid song this time too?

There might still be a few that do this (I haven't played anywhere near every song yet), but so far I can say that the song cuts are much better this time around. For example, while I remember being incredibly disappointed by The Extreme (FF VIII) and The Final Battle (FF IX) cutting out in the original Theatrhythm just as they were getting to the good parts, in Curtain Call they fade in just after the long intro segments and let you play the entirety of the actual song. I have yet to find a song in Curtain Call that cuts out mid-song, and I've been looking!

What characters does playing the demo unlock? Or, are the characters random?

I need Locke to be a quick unlock. Getting the shards in part 1 was so time consuming!

Also, are dark notes still in? And, is unlocking characters via shards again?

The demo just gives you an additional 10 characters to choose from for your initial starting party, while the others are stashed away to be unlocked later. Locke might be among the ones you can choose from; I can't remember. Either way, Curtain Call lets you choose which character you want to unlock each time you gather enough of the right-colored shards for them, so once you get enough shards of whatever Locke's color is (can't remember), you can unlock him first if you want.

Can't wait for those spin-off tracks like Mystic Quest <3

They're SO FUN. I'm so glad Mystic Quest's music is finally getting the Theatrhythm love it deserves. I deeply, deeply hope the final battle (BMS) and Doom Castle (FMS) themes are eventually added as DLC.

So i bought Theatrhythm when it first came out, but didn't play too much of the songs with the clips in the background simply because I wanted to avoid spoilers. Is this still the case? Or even if I play it am I not going to see that much spoiler wise. While I have played about half of the series, I still haven't finished 6 and 9 and would not like to have those games spoiled for me.

There's a much smaller focus on EMS tracks (the ones with the clips in the background) in Curtain Call; not only do you have to unlock all of them to begin with, you'll never randomly encounter or be forced to play them in Quest Medley or any other mode (from what I've been able to tell so far, at least).

That said, the splash image for Final Fantasy VI in the main song selection list is an image from the ending, so... you might be kinda hosed there. Though I'm now wondering if you'd even know it was from the ending if I hadn't told you... kind of a Catch-22 there, huh?

aett

Invest in a 16 or 32GB microSD card with an adapter, they're shockingly cheap, and you'll be ready to stick it in in a New 3DS if you ever decide to upgrade.

I just got my new 32GB microSD with adapter yesterday. Fortunately I made sure to check my remaining space last week before I tried to download Curtain Call. It's really impressive that I had ten 3DS retail games, a ton of VC games, and several indie games all on a 16GB SD card. Now I'll be good to go for a lot more games and the New 3DS.

suzu

Got my copy in. :D

You guys are totally right about Mystic Quest. I've forgotten how catchy the songs were. lol

Goli

The game is up, downloading!
BxqqtAvIgAE1kOu.jpg

Anustart

Oh no :( "You need 5590 more open block(s) to download this."

WHY GOD WHY.

Edit: Goodbye sweet Mario Golf.

Edit 2 : Edit Boogaloo : This download is gonna take a minute. 3ds downloads shit so slow :(

cwistofu

Is it true that the songs in this game are of a lower audio quality than in the first game? I feel like I read that somewhere last night, that someone thought the songs were only 128kbps.

Not that it matters because I have no willpower and bought this game the moment it hit the eshop

That warning in the beginning about not being able to play my save on another DS or sd card doesn't count if I do a system transfer when the new DS comes out right?

Valus

I'm so bad at these types of games. I downloaded the demo and got completed wrecked on the "Ultimate" difficulty. Couldn't even last a minute.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Does the DLC shop work?

I'm getting a 005-6710 error.

Amazon says it's "Shipping Soon". What the hell, I know I selected the 3-5 day option but that doesn't mean you get to goof off with my purchase! Estimated date of arrival has it pegged at the 26th at the latest. 26th! 10 days! Mgrgrgrgr!

Hey, I thought you all might like to know that, similar to my prior Smash 3DS / Wii U giveaways, I'll be giving away packs of Curtain Call CollectaCards on my Twitter (@AshPaulsen) throughout the week! The packs were exclusive to PAX (wordplay, ha!) and include Ace, Rem, and Machina from Final Fantasy Type-0.

If interested, the giveaways are happening at 7pm PST from today through Friday, and all you need to do to win is be the first to correctly answer a Final Fantasy-related trivia question on my Twitter!

image.jpg

aett

I accidentally pushed A and didn't get to finish reading what the game said at the start regarding the initial party you choose and how that affects your music. Are you initially limited to the tracks from the games that your party is from until you unlock more, or something?

Also: who did everyone choose? Should the leader still be someone who is best suited for the Field stages like in the original game? I used Bartz originally, since he was perfect for that (naturally).

Amazon says it's "Shipping Soon". What the hell, I know I selected the 3-5 day option but that doesn't mean you get to goof off with my purchase! Estimated date of arrival has it pegged at the 26th at the latest. 26th! 10 days! Mgrgrgrgr!

From my experience, when you pick the free shipping the estimates are ridiculously overstated. I tend to get games one or two days after release, even while the tracking status is acting like its going to arrive the next week. This also depends on where you are compared to shipping hubs however.

Kouriozan

Also: who did everyone choose? Should the leader still be someone who is best suited for the Field stages like in the original game? I used Bartz originally, since he was perfect for that (naturally).

I heard Zidane is pretty good once you get him.
Very high agility for FMS.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Seems like the DLC store works for me now.

There's a free DLC song: Roses of May (FFIX)

I accidentally pushed A and didn't get to finish reading what the game said at the start regarding the initial party you choose and how that affects your music. Are you initially limited to the tracks from the games that your party is from until you unlock more, or something?

Basically, the characters you choose for your initial party determine the music you initially have access to (so if you choose Cecil, you get FF IV's music unlocked to start with). It really doesn't matter, though, because after you play 30 more minutes or so you'll have unlocked every game's music and like 95% of the whole songlist. :p

And yeah, having your party leader be someone best-suited for FMSes is the way to go once again. I basically just chose my initial party based on my favorite FF games and characters: Tidus, Lightning #2, Terra, and Zack (not huge on FF VII itself but Zack is far and away my favorite part of it). Looking back, though, I should have just chosen the original Lightning, because her stats are much better (or at least they were in the original Theatrhythm) and I love FF XIII but wasn't so hot on Lightning Returns...

1337Sauce

That said, the splash image for Final Fantasy VI in the main song selection list is an image from the ending, so... you might be kinda hosed there. Though I'm now wondering if you'd even know it was from the ending if I hadn't told you... kind of a Catch-22 there, huh?

As long as it doesn't blatantly scream ENDING to me, it doesn't matter. I understand a picture means nothing without context, so if I don't know the ending of VI right now, will the image that they have chosen mean anything to me at all?

Oh no :( "You need 5590 more open block(s) to download this."

WHY GOD WHY.
I hate how it checks funds then free space while on Wii U does opposite (so you can empty the fridge before filling the wallet).

Is it true that the songs in this game are of a lower audio quality than in the first game? I feel like I read that somewhere last night, that someone thought the songs were only 128kbps.

Not that it matters because I have no willpower and bought this game the moment it hit the eshop
The sound files are identical to the first game for unchanged songs. If it sounds different than it is the game at fault (I think the demo is lower quality for less fridge space or whatever).

Bitrate is not as easy to place as it uses a Nintendo custom bcstm codec (a derivative of one used since the Gamecube) but it is 32KHz (this is as high as that codec goes, Kid Icarus is 24KHz so it can be worse) so 12 bit instead of 16 bit.

Basically if you thought the first game sounded fine there shouldn't be any issue here.

There's a free DLC song: Roses of May (FFIX)
Could it be free for a limited time? First party games have been seen to do that with the first piece usually...

Jasconius

Well, I played a ton of this yesterday, so I'm having a bunch of fun with it. I picked up the original just a couple of months ago for cheap, so I was excited when I realized this was coming out now!

Starting to see more people in the vs mode now it seems. Played ultimate score no ex burst against someone but I really need some more practice, most of the battle ultimate scores are just a little beyond my level atm...

I like the quest medley mode but I kind of miss the old system for the dark notes where different parts of the song would be different difficulties, that was kind of cool.

I like the EX Bosses in the medley mode that use the EX Burst skills against you, was a cute thing for them to include.

Back to playing, though!

From my experience, when you pick the free shipping the estimates are ridiculously overstated. I tend to get games one or two days after release, even while the tracking status is acting like its going to arrive the next week. This also depends on where you are compared to shipping hubs however.

You have given me hope where there was none. I am prepared to be dashed upon countless rocks of despair.

Do we know what characters are unlocked by playing the demo?

While I can't recall who they were off the top of my head, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you only get 10 more OPTIONS to start. They're not permanent unlocks. Once you create your first party of four, all the remaining characters get locked.

I played yesterday and had 24 characters to choose from at the beginning. After a few songs, I got red shards, and it gave me the option to unlock people I thought I already had. I was super confused at first, but when I went to edit party, I saw that there were only my chosen 4 plus the new unlock to choose from.

While I can't recall who they were off the top of my head, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you only get 10 more OPTIONS to start. They're not permanent unlocks. Once you create your first party of four, all the remaining characters get locked.

I played yesterday and had 24 characters to choose from at the beginning. After a few songs, I got red shards, and it gave me the option to unlock people I thought I already had. I was super confused at first, but when I went to edit party, I saw that there were only my chosen 4 plus the new unlock to choose from.

Yep, this is correct!

Top Bottom