• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Goldrusher

Has anyone been on one of these?
Those were everywhere in the seventies and eighties. They're getting rare now.

We have a park here - Bobbejaanland - which has the world's only flying version:

FlyAway02.jpg

P1190388.jpeg

There was a second one at Six Flags New England, but it closed in 2008.

thefro

I've been hearing July for Transformers, believe it or not. If you check Universal's annual pass blackout dates for 2013, all of July is blacked out for USF only, with the few months before and after being clear. Fear Factor Live may be getting replaced by then but I can't see a show being a good reason for blocking out a whole month. It has to be Transformers. The schedule is fucking batshit crazy but I read on another forum that in one month they've already done in Orlando what it took them eight months to do in Hollywood. This is as breakneck as it's ever going to get and I'm loving it.

And when all this is over, we still have a Grinch coaster and Kidzone expansion coming, Universal is out of their damn minds. There's going to be cool new stuff every year until at least what, 2015? 2016? Jurassic Park is due for something too, right?

That's good to hear, because they definitely need to invest the money & work into both parks. 9/11 really set nearly every theme/amusement park back 7-8 years.

Universal's basically just been replacing rides (Kongfrontation --> Mummy) or essentially updating them (BTTF: The Ride --> Simpsons, HB --> Jimmy Neutron --> Despicable Me, Earthquake --> Disaster) since then at USF, sans the coaster they put in. I think there's still less stuff to do there than in the 90s at their peak.

IOA basically has just gotten Harry Potter since it opened up which was huge but they can't wait another 10 years to put something new over there.

The studios is rumored to get the monster coaster while Animal kingdom will get avatar which it really needs.

The only park thats badly in need of new content is Epcot. I suspect that Disney will square away FLE , Start moving on Avatar and most likely make that stupid car ride in magic kingdom into a cars ride , bring the coaster to Hollywood and announce a big project for epcot.

After epcot i'd love for them to expand and make more of a lucas / speilberg area of the studios .

That's the big issue with 4 parks is they all constantly need new stuff. EPCOT & Disney Studios both need new attractions on the calibur of what they're doing with the Fantasyland Expansion.

Universal's been pretty heavily involved with Spielberg on the Parks side for years (and have the rights to Jaws/ET/Jurassic Park, etc), so I can't see a Spielberg/Lucas land at Disney Studios happening unless they have the rights already to Robopocalypse & Interstellar through the distribution deal they have with Dreamworks Pictures, and those films become big hits.

snacknuts

we all knew her
A top 10 of the hundred or so different roller coasters I've been on.

Overall
1. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure, New Jersey)
2. Phantom's Revenge (Kennywood, Pennsylvania)
3. Voyage (Holiday World, Indiana)
4. Nitro (Six Flags Great Adventure, New Jersey)
5. Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom, Florida)
6. Kentucky Rumbler (Beech Bend Park, Kentucky)
7. Maverick (Cedar Point, Ohio)
8. Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa/Africa/Current name, Florida)
9. Kraken (Sea World Orlando, Florida)
10. Legend (Holiday World, Indiana)

Nice to see the Holiday World love. I've lived in Indy basically my whole life and had never been to Holiday World before this summer. I was blown away by the quality of the rides, especially The Voyage. Probably the best coaster I've ever been on. They had an article about it in the NYTimes a couple months ago.

WDW held a preview of their new Enchanted Tales With Belle located in the new Fantasyland, and someone uploaded a video of it.

I have to say, the technology in it looks top notch. I was pretty amazed with the
Lumière animatronic

So are those audio-animatronics? If so, wow. Just...wow.

The attraction itself looks like it's primarily geared toward youngsters, but damn, that tech is impressive.

caramac

I think lines are going to be a problem for me in general after experiencing the magic of Universal Express in Orlando. Unlimited walk-ons for almost everything in the afternoon.

I know lots of visitors from the UK will book into a Universal Hotel just for one night, even though they have paid for two weeks accommodation elsewhere just to get the unlimited fast track passes. One night on site gets you two days fast track I believe.

All the Disney parks in Florida need a bunch of smaller dark rides and little intimate hideaways like New Orleans Square. Disneyland in California has so many rides in comparison to Magic Kingdom, for example. There should be 4 or 5 'C' or 'D' ticket dark rides for each park and added intimate touches for each.

Disney Studios needs the most help in this regard. Epcot has too much sprawl in Future World and the theme is tired for both the future world side of Epcot and Studios. It's not a real movie studio... nobody is fooled.

Took the family to Knoebels this summer and had a great time. One of the things that struck me was how much they respected the history of amusement parks. Both of their big wooden coasters were bought, dismantled and lovingly re-assembled on site. Same with some of their other rides.

There's one, Flying Turns, that they've been building since 2006. From Wikipedia:

The Flying Turns is a wooden bobsled roller coaster under construction at the Knoebels Amusement Resort in Elysburg, Pennsylvania. It is modeled after a similar ride designed by John Norman Bartlett and John Miller in the 1920s. The ride concept is similar to a modern steel bobsled roller coaster, however the Flying Turns will be made of wood, like the original rides. The layout of the ride is most similar to the original one that was at Riverview Park in Chicago, Illinois.

It's got no rails, the cars just slide along. I was talking to a guy working on it and he said that getting the cars right was the problem, just alot of trial and error.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Turns_(Knoebels)

iNaAbD7VUK1CX.png

ieh882uNT9KHW.png

ibzdeoK1KrQDL2.png

Anyway, a really nice park, clean, shaded and well cared for. Pretty good food too.

I know lots of visitors from the UK will book into a Universal Hotel just for one night, even though they have paid for two weeks accommodation elsewhere just to get the unlimited fast track passes. One night on site gets you two days fast track I believe.

Yep, on-site express is valid check-in through check-out. I'd much rather pay 200-300$ for a room rather than $225 per person for one day of unlimited express, which is what they were charging at the gate a few weeks ago. Personally I stayed on-site for four nights and felt it was worth it. Paid between $180-200 a night but the water taxi service, atmosphere (Royal Pacific), and ease of everything justified the price to me. Nothing like getting up in the morning, taking the water taxi to one of the parks, and blowing through everything with the express pass. Then get up next morning and do it again lol. The great thing about unlimited express is that everyone that bought the regular express probably uses it pretty early in the day. So even the most popular rides are near walk-ons mid-afternoon when everyone's regular express is used and most hotel guests are tired and back in their rooms. There was one day at around 3PM where I could have walked on Spiderman 10 times if I wanted. Settled for 3 lol.

All the Disney parks in Florida need a bunch of smaller dark rides and little intimate hideaways like New Orleans Square. Disneyland in California has so many rides in comparison to Magic Kingdom, for example. There should be 4 or 5 'C' or 'D' ticket dark rides for each park and added intimate touches for each.

Precisely the reason why DL's Fantasyland makes MK's look like a joke. I believe DL and DCA have about as many rides combined as all of WDW's parks.

DL is so fucking dense. You can't walk 10 feet without finding something cool to do.

So you get free Fast Track if you stay in a Universal hotel?

That rocks. I have a work conference that's being held at the Royal Pacific next May. (I'm pretty excited, as I haven't been to US or IoA yet. Just Disney.)

That rocks. I have a work conference that's being held at the Royal Pacific next May. (I'm pretty excited, as I haven't been to US or IoA yet. Just Disney.)

Yep, just go to the concierge and they'll set you up with one. Think of it as an unlimited Disney Fastpass for almost every ride with no specific return time. It seriously feels like cheating. You won't need specific touring plans or anything, just hop on whatever you want. I honestly walked onto Spiderman twice when the standby line was 40-50 minutes and into the overflow queue.

The only thing is that Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (IoA) and Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit (US) don't have express lines because of the way they load. On the other hand, hotel guests are allowed into the Harry Potter section of IoA an hour before the park opens, so you can just do that. Rockit's lines shouldn't be bad earlier in the day either.

caramac

Yep, on-site express is valid check-in through check-out. I'd much rather pay 200-300$ for a room rather than $225 per person for one day of unlimited express, which is what they were charging at the gate a few weeks ago. Personally I stayed on-site for four nights and felt it was worth it. Paid between $180-200 a night but the water taxi service, atmosphere (Royal Pacific), and ease of everything justified the price to me. Nothing like getting up in the morning, taking the water taxi to one of the parks, and blowing through everything with the express pass. Then get up next morning and do it again lol. The great thing about unlimited express is that everyone that bought the regular express probably uses it pretty early in the day. So even the most popular rides are near walk-ons mid-afternoon when everyone's regular express is used and most hotel guests are tired and back in their rooms. There was one day at around 3PM where I could have walked on Spiderman 10 times if I wanted. Settled for 3 lol.

Sounds great and as you say worth doing a one night stay. I'm really hoping to get back to Florida next year (finances permitting) its been a long time (1999).

The only thing that's slightly concerning me is we are a family of five and I think all the on site hotels have a max room occupancy of four, so it would mean booking two rooms.

Sounds great and as you say worth doing a one night stay. I'm really hoping to get back to Florida next year (finances permitting) its been a long time (1999).

The only thing that's slightly concerning me is we are a family of five and I think all the on site hotels have a max room occupancy of four, so it would mean booking two rooms.

Their rooms sleep five but it will be pretty tight on space. You may want to consider getting a suite.

Disneyland is straight up more fun than Disneyworld I think. It's so much easier to ride more stuff during a day.

On a related note, I finally made it to Cars Land in California Adventure and waited two hours for Radiator Springs Racer only for it to break down for an hour right before I got to the front. At the end of the night too. So we ended up racing over to Space Mountain before the park closed, only for that to break down right as we got to the front too. Sigh. I'm going again tomorrow though so I'll try Cars Land again.

DL is fucking great. Can't top the original.

I haven't ridden RSR yet but I think I'll hold off until the lines cool down. From what I've heard they've been 2+ hours all day every day since it opened, with very rare exception. And I'm not getting there at rope drop and waiting 45 minutes to get a fastpass, no way. I think lines are going to be a problem for me in general after experiencing the magic of Universal Express in Orlando. Unlimited walk-ons for almost everything in the afternoon.

Wow, RSR was fun when my friends and I got to ride it (was right around Fourth of July). The first day we rode it, we expected it to be a 3hr line but it was cut down considerably due to the ride breaking down. We persevered by chatting and playing our 3DS' and were finally able to get on after nearly 2hrs. Second time, we had a magical morning for DCA so we ran from our hotel (Paradise Pier) and picked up our fast passes. Used them in the late afternoon so that we could watch fireworks at Disneyland.

Great thing about RSR is that it loads 6 people at once so you can take advantage of the single-rider line, though it's still long. Planning to go back in late December to see if the lines are any better lol.

This might be useful then:

http://news.disneylandparis.co.uk/calendar/calendar.xhtml?day=9&month=8&year=2012

It's a schedule of when rides are closed for maintenance.

closed:

Sep 10 to 12 Autopia
Sep 10 to 12 Armageddon
Sep 10 to 14 Mad Hatter's Tea Cups
Sep 12 to 14 Studio Tram Tour

If you arrive the 9th, you know what to do...

Thanks for that, I'll make sure we ride the teacups on Sunday as that's one we can do as a family which the boy will be able to go on

Debating on a trip to Orlando, havent been there in a good 10 years. Just trying to decide best time to go. Last 2 times I went we would go the week after thanksgiving and the place was dead, was so great. So debating between then or Jan/Feb.

ultron87

I rode Spiderman so many times the first time I went to IoA because of this. Best way to experience a theme park ever.

Xun

Precisely the reason why DL's Fantasyland makes MK's look like a joke. I believe DL and DCA have about as many rides combined as all of WDW's parks.

DL is so fucking dense. You can't walk 10 feet without finding something cool to do.
I'm hoping Disney puts a lot more attention into WDW now, since it is certainly lacking the love Disneyland receives. The Fantasyland Expansion is a step in the right direction, so hopefully they'll continue to improve each park further.

Having said that I still love WDW, and it is certainly my favourite collection of theme parks.

overcast

Went to Disneyland (CA) for the first time since Cars Land opened up yesterday with my girlfriend. Only went for 5 hours (we have the cheapest annual pass). California Adventure feels so great now, it honestly looks and feels more complete. I don't like Cars, but I was so excited to see Cars Land. It was also dapper day which is a really cool tradition. First time I've done that.

Goldrusher

Yesterday, Richard Rodriguez once again broke a roller coaster riding record.
He's been riding Blackpool's Big One for 103 days in a row now...and he's still going.

video: http://www.itv.com/news/granada/story/2012-09-10/roller-coaster-record/

Rodriguez was born December 12th, 1958 in Brooklyn, New York.
He is a lecturer at Fordham University in New York. He currently lives in Murphy, North Carolina.

image_update_2199d778e4ced46a_1347288654_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

548124_10151149632672365_400774289_n.jpg

uk_108.jpg

His achievements (most of these are 24/7 with 5 min breaks)

1977 - Coney Island Cyclone, USA - 104 hours
1978 - Swamp Fox, USA - 110 hours
1978 - Rebel Yell, USA- 124 hours
1979 - Roaring Tiger, USA - 128 hours
1979 - Big Dipper, England - 140 hours
1979 - Ghost Town Coaster, USA - 150 hours
1979 - PNE Flyer, Canada - 168 hours
1980 - Florida Hurricane, USA - 172 hours
1980 - Big Dipper, UK - 209 hours
1981 - Super Manege, Canada - 220 hours
1982 - Superwirbel, Germany - 328 hours
1994 - Big Dipper, UK - 549 hours
1998 - Big Dipper, Blackpool - 1013 hours (46 days)
2000 - Big Dipper, Blackpool - 2000 hours (3 months)
2001 - The Boss, USA - 100 days (daytime only)
2002 - Expedition GeForce, Germany - 104 days (daytime only)
2003 - Expedition GeForce (day) & Superwirbel (night), Germany - 49 days
2007 - The Big One, UK - 17 days

2012 - The Big One, UK - 104 days and counting (daytime only)

Cookie18

I've been working at the Pleasure Beach this summer. I finally took advantage of the free wristband today. It was great because the park is dead so I could just walk on anything I wanted and the ride ops would send us round again if we wanted. The Big One wasn't open due to the winds though.

I have to say that I was shocked how not used to rollercoasters I am. I've only been on a few at Disneylands and Universal Studios etc. I still feel fairly sick from today though, perhaps that is to do with going on everything in under 2 hours and not having time to rest though.

P.S. I've met the guy doing the Big One world record this summer, he's a really nice guy and I've got a lot more respect for him after how I felt today even though I never went on the Big One.

Cookie18

Wait, so did he ride it once every day or continuously for 103 days?

He rides it from when the park opens until, I think, 5 or 6pm in the evening. The park usually closes at 8pm and sometimes goes up so the time he finishes isn't necessarily when the park closes. Also I assume he gets a day off when the Big One is closed due to the weather. He wasn't on it today because it was closed and I recall it being closed a few time this summer.

Went to Disneyland (CA) for the first time since Cars Land opened up yesterday with my girlfriend. Only went for 5 hours (we have the cheapest annual pass). California Adventure feels so great now, it honestly looks and feels more complete. I don't like Cars, but I was so excited to see Cars Land. It was also dapper day which is a really cool tradition. First time I've done that.
I missed Dapper Disney Day!?

also Radiator Springs Racers was pretty fun. Not quite as fast as I would have liked, seems like there's a governor on it. It still breaks down way too much.

Xun

Looking at prices for Disneyland Paris, and my god is it expensive.

The ticket prices for WDW are a lot cheaper.

Goldrusher

Looking at prices for Disneyland Paris, and my god is it expensive.

The ticket prices for WDW are a lot cheaper.
Uh... no.

Disneyland Paris is much cheaper.

$100 for the Florida parks
$90 for the California parks

€61 for the Paris parks (€46 online)

(1 day, 1 park tickets)

also:

Also, this year, you can get a free ticket (1 day, both parks) for the week of your birthday.
You can still register here until Sep 30, the tickets are valid until Oct 6, 2013, on your birthday or within the following week.

Xun

Uh... no.

Disneyland Paris is much cheaper.

$100 for the Florida parks
$90 for the California parks

€61 for the Paris parks (€46 online)

(1 day, 1 park tickets)

also:

Also, this year, you can get a free ticket (1 day, both parks) for the week of your birthday.
You can still register here until Sep 30, the tickets are valid until Oct 6, 2013, on your birthday or within the following week.
I was referring to more than 1 day.

A 14 day ticket at WDW works out much cheaper than a 4 day ticket at DLP.

Oh and thanks for the heads up!

FafaFooey

I was referring to more than 1 day.

This.

Disneyland Paris is ridiculously expensive for a park that's inferior in every way to the other Disney parks around the world. They somewhat cleaned it up last year by doing some much needed maintenance and refurbishment, but the staff is still as rude as ever and all the French dubbing (which they started doing after French people complained) just stinks.
They need to realize more than 50% of the visitors are from other countries.

Goldrusher

Where do you guys get these prices?

A 4-day-ticket for the Paris parks costs you only €162.

I can't even find a 14 day ticket on the WDW website.
The max is 10 days, which costs you over $400. ($375+tax)

How is that cheaper?!

You can even get an unlimited season pass in Paris for €199. Access to both parks 365 days a year, with early access and free parking.

Xun

This.

Disneyland Paris is ridiculously expensive for a park that's inferior in every way to the other Disney parks around the world. They somewhat cleaned it up last year by doing some much needed maintenance and refurbishment, but the staff is still as rude as ever and all the French dubbing (which they started doing after French people complained) just stinks.
They need to realize more than 50% of the visitors are from other countries.
I haven't been since '95, but it felt a bit more fresh to me, but that's a given considering the age of the park.

I wouldn't mind going back, but I'm certainly turned off by the prices.

Where do you guys get these prices?

A 4-day-ticket for the Paris parks costs you only €162.

I can't even find a 14 day ticket on the WDW website.
The max is 10 days, which costs you over $400. ($375+tax)

How is that cheaper?!

You can even get an unlimited season pass in Paris for €199. Access to both parks 365 days a year, with early access and free parking.
I'm getting the prices from the UK sites.

A 14 day unlimited ticket is £236 at the moment, whereas a 4 day ticket to DLP is £141. That's an extra 10 days for just under £100, and there's more to see.

Given how many more days you get, a day at WDW works out cheaper.

Of course on a whole a trip to WDW will cost you more, but I do think Disneyland Paris is ridiculously expensive.

RayStorm

A 14 day unlimited ticket is £236 at the moment, whereas a 4 day ticket to DLP is £141. That's an extra 10 days for just under £100, and there's more to see.

Given how many more days you get, a day at WDW works out cheaper.

Of course on a whole a trip to WDW will cost you more, but I do think Disneyland Paris is ridiculously expensive.

You simply have to be aware that the cheaper option for long term DLRP stays is to get an annual pass. As someone else stated, it's 199€ and you get 365days access. And also some reductions at restaurants.
To put in in your words: That's an extra 351 days and all that for about 70€ less!

Xun

You simply have to be aware that the cheaper option for long term DLRP stays is to get an annual pass. As someone else stated, it's 199€ and you get 365days access. And also some reductions at restaurants.
To put in in your words: That's an extra 351 days and all that for about 70€ less!
For some reason I actually missed that when I read Goldrusher's post.

I'll have to look into it...

Edit: Is it just applicable to French residents? I can't find out where to get it in the UK.

Goldrusher

Is it just applicable to French residents? I can't find out where to get it in the UK.
No.

Scroll down a bit for a nice comparison:

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/planning/booking/annual-passports/

€199: 365 days pass, free parking, tons of discounts (35% at hotels, 20% in shops, 10% in restaurants, cheaper tickets for friends, discounts at Buffalo Bill, Disney Village cinemas, etc.)
€159: 320 days pass, free parking, some discounts (and smaller percentages)

€119: 280 days pass, parking is €30 extra --> this one is for French residents only

Xun

So I went to Thorpe Park today, and I'm amazed as to how much the place has gone downhill.

It lacks a soul.

No.

Scroll down a bit for a nice comparison:

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/planning/booking/annual-passports/

€199: 365 days pass, free parking, tons of discounts (35% at hotels, 20% in shops, 10% in restaurants, cheaper tickets for friends, discounts at Buffalo Bill, Disney Village cinemas, etc.)
€159: 320 days pass, free parking, some discounts (and smaller percentages)

€119: 280 days pass, parking is €30 extra --> this one is for French residents only
Thanks for the link!

Oh and you guys seen this? It's a walkthrough of the Fantasyland expansion and it looks incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z34EkQmZ0fE

I love this time of year for theme parks/amusement parks. Lots of fond memories from a local one I used to go to. Leaves on the ground, the smell of fall, cheesy halloween music playing, cool fall air with a breeze, halloween themed across the park, scare characters patrolling the midways at night, guests screaming and a rickety classic wooden coaster.

I've done Halloween Horror Nights and it's top notch. I miss being down there during this time, too.

aparisi2274

Too bad there's no new rides. Well other than the little mermaid d-ticket clone

As amazing as the theming is in NFL, I have to agree that its just a shame there are no new rides (well until 2014 at least, when the mine train ride opens). It seems weird to build an entire expansion and have 1 *new* ride and a refurb and a clone of another ride (Dumbo).

As much as I like this new expansion, I still think it was thrown together rather hastily to kind of answer the Potter expansion at Universal.

As amazing as the theming is in NFL, I have to agree that its just a shame there are no new rides (well until 2014 at least, when the mine train ride opens). It seems weird to build an entire expansion and have 1 *new* ride and a refurb and a clone of another ride (Dumbo).

As much as I like this new expansion, I still think it was thrown together rather hastily to kind of answer the Potter expansion at Universal.

It was fast tracked to retaliate potter but its nothing like it. Potter opened with a major e ticket plus a castle and town you can walk around and explore not to mention incorporating some existing attractions into the Harry potter world with new theming. New fantasyland is a little mermaid ride, a short mine cart ride that replaces Snow White that wont be open until 2014, and a eatery that is kind of sort of like beasts castle from beauty and the beast.

Bread

Banned
Those were everywhere in the seventies and eighties. They're getting rare now.

We have a park here - Bobbejaanland - which has the world's only flying version:

FlyAway02.jpg

P1190388.jpeg

There was a second one at Six Flags New England, but it closed in 2008.

rip nightwing :(

I would use my fast pass to reserve a spot on superman, and ride nightwing over and over until i could get on. It was such a fun ride.

Top Bottom