• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

akileese

Speaking of arcades... I was at Free Play Arlington last night.

They had a great selection of cabinets like TMNT Turtles Against Time, NBA Jam, Tekken Tag, Gauntlet, Killer Instinct, House of the Dead, and lots of pinball machines.

Also they had Super Street Fighter II but of course some basement dwellers were hogging it all up and didn't really let anybody else play it. I was there for 2 hours with friends and it was literally the same nerds that were there everytime I'd walk by the bar.

I wanted to complain to management about it but it was just super busy and it wasn't worth the trouble so eh. But hopefully they establish some kind of rule where you can't hog up the damn cabinet.

Most arcades typically operate on the honor system where the only rule is "don't be a dick when other people want to play". Gonna date myself a bit but when I was growing up people put quarters/tokens up on the machine to signify next on and it was almost universally acceptable.

Can't really do that at Round One, and I've never been to Free Play Arlington so I can't speak for it, but if you hang around the machine and make it known you want next, someone will usually jump off for you unless they're in the middle of a session. No excuse for behavior like that with a fighting game box though.

If it happens next time you're there definitely bring it up to management. That sort of behavior is pretty much universally frowned upon, but also try to make it known that you want next. It's easy to say "Well I didn't know" if no one speaks up.

fmpanda

If it happens next time you're there definitely bring it up to management. That sort of behavior is pretty much universally frowned upon, but also try to make it known that you want next. It's easy to say "Well I didn't know" if no one speaks up.

As someone who knows a couple of the Free Play peeps, I can second this, they will always make it a point to take care of patrons and are good people who want to make sure everyone gets to enjoy their games.

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but I-30 at least on the Dallas side has been 70mph for a couple weeks now. Never got why it was 60 while US75, Loop 12, PGBT, SRT, and I-20 were all 70.

Wheee!!!

Looking to travel to Dallas to check out the city in October. Will be travelling with an 8 month old and my wife. Is the city easy to get around? Good time to travel? Any parts where I should be looking for hotels or areas to avoid? Good places to site-see/walk around?

Thanks!!

Looking to travel to Dallas to check out the city in October. Will be travelling with an 8 month old and my wife. Is the city easy to get around? Good time to travel? Any parts where I should be looking for hotels or areas to avoid? Good places to site-see/walk around?

Thanks!!

I've lived in DFW area, Plano to be precise for a year. But it has been some years since i have been there and i miss it dearly. As for touristy stuff.. uhm there's always Southfork Ranch, AT&T Stadium (try to catch a Cowboys game if you can find reasonable tickets), 6th floor museum and the longhorn thing in Ft Worth.

edit: There's also tons of decent Shopping malls and there's a good outlet in Allen north of Dallas and Plano as well. Good shopping in that area and theres In n Out burgers there.

NR1

Dallas isn't really known as a tourist destination. It has some cool stuff, but a lot of it is seasonal festivals and such- Pano Balloon Festivel, Addison Oktoberfest, Scarborough Fair, North Texas Irish Fest, The Texas State Fair, the ICE Exhibit at the Grapevine Gaylord Resort, etc...There is Six Flags in Arlington, the Stock Yards in Fort Worth, the Mesquite Championship Rodeo, South Fork Ranch in Plano, and the 6th Floor Musium in downtown Dallas.

besada

Banned

Thanks!!

Public transportation is not great. It's a car area. And Dallas drivers are aggressive.

October is good. It should cool down a little by then, so you don't feel like you're swimming through the city.

As for hotels, it depends on what you're looking for. Dallas ranges everywhere from little hotels that are cheap, to stuff like the Omni which is not cheap, to even more exclusive places like The Mansion or Hotel Zaza.

As for walking around and sight-seeing, the Dallas Center for Architecture has a 90 minute walking tour through the Arts District. You're pretty much looking at walking in the Arts District, West End, and the Fairgrounds area. If you get a sitter for the kid one night, you can wander around Deep Ellum. We have a great sculpture garden (Nasher Sculpture Garden) near the Aquarium, which is also near the Modern, also near the Holocaust museum, the House of Blues, and Dealy Plaza.

Depending on how long you're here, you might want to check out Ft Worth, which has a better Modern Art Museum, and whose great museums are all within a couple blocks of each other.

Look up the Fairgrounds and the Dallas Science Museum. The DSM is great for kids, and it's on the Fairgrounds which is full of art deco sculpture and often has events going.

Oh, the Texas State Fair will be going on at the Fairgrounds! So you can definitely enjoy that. Eat fried things that shouldn't be fried, listen to music, etc.

Thanks!!

Definitely take the kid to Klyde Warren, it's a public walking space with food trucks adjacent to the free Dallas Museum of Art.
I'd get a rental if I were you, unless you plan on Ubering everywhere.
Come in late fall or Spring

Raven117

Thanks!!

Hmm, not quite sure why you would want to visit Dallas as a tourist with an 8 month old.

I echo the state fair recommendations. (Make sure it is not Texas v. OU weekend though).

Fort Worth is a little better for tourists with the Stock Yards and the Kimball Art museum (world class).

Oscar

Just popping in to suggest The Cidercade in the Arts District.

New and old arcades, and their drinks are great (Bishop Cider Co owns it)

It's $10 for unlimited play, and the drinks range from $5-10 (Cider). They also have a kitchen but I can't vouch for it since I haven't tried their food.

More people should know about this place. Oh and it's 21+ after 8pm (or was it 10pm?).

Gero

If anybody wants an amazing view of Dallas and it's surroundings, go to Chase tower in Downtown and asked security that you will like to go to the Sky Lobby. It is at the 40th floor of the building and it has breathtaking views.

woodchuck

Just popping in to suggest The Cidercade in the Arts District.

New and old arcades, and their drinks are great (Bishop Cider Co owns it)

It's $10 for unlimited play, and the drinks range from $5-10 (Cider). They also have a kitchen but I can't vouch for it since I haven't tried their food.

More people should know about this place. Oh and it's 21+ after 8pm (or was it 10pm?).

Killer Queen is fucking awesome. And they have NBA jam

Does anyone in the DFW area want two free tickets to see DJ Shadow on the 22nd?

I can't use them, and I'd like to give them away to someone who would enjoy it.

EDIT: Gave them away!

NR1

I was watching Problem Child last night and it was a real trip realizing that it was filmed in Dallas!

At the end of the movie when John Ritter and Junior are chasing Kramer (The Bow Tie Killer), you can clearly see the circus in Fair Park (the Midway sign and the Texas Star Farris Wheel are prominently viewed).

During the car chase scene that ends with Flo flying off the bridge into the back of a pig truck, you can catch glimpses of the skyline and see Fountain Plaza and Reunion Tower. Also, the big red brick building with the South Side on Lamar sign is near the crash site. The bridge itself that they crash on and Flow flies off is one of the iconic 1950s concrete bridges that populate the southern part of downtown Dallas.

NR1

Sup Metroplex GAF. Are there actually gas shortages or are people overreacting?

Seems to be real with the added bonus of people overreacting. I heard on WFAA's Facebook that QT stations weren't going to be selling gas at half their North Texas stations this Labor Day weekend, so I went by my local Kroger to top off. The refilling truck was there when I arrived, but there were lines 3 cars deep at every pump. I warned my buddies and they sent photos from Costco and they had lines 6 cars deep at all their pumps. I stopped off at Home Depot and got two 5-gallon gasoline containers as a precaution since I need gas to work. Filled them up at a Shell Station by my house and there was a guy at the pump next to me doing the same thing except with 4 gas containers.

Sup Metroplex GAF. Are there actually gas shortages or are people overreacting?

I think there are gas shortages BECAUSE people are overreacting. Sucks, because I actually needed to get some gas this morning as I was practically out and I had to find a place that still had some.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Saw a huge line coming out of a distant Costco bleeding into a major street.
Was wondering what was up.

I thought it was maybe a line of people donating but apparently just another gas panic.

akileese

I think there are gas shortages BECAUSE people are overreacting. Sucks, because I actually needed to get some gas this morning as I was practically out and I had to find a place that still had some.

This is what I figured. I've got 3 days off so as long as I can fill up SOMETIME today/tomorrow I'll be fine (going to the FC Dallas/RBNY game on Saturday). Aside from that and some close proximity grocery shopping, I have nowhere to go through Monday.

NR1

I just drove past the intersection of Northwest Highway and blank and Preston the Chevron gas station has a line going out onto Northwest Highway. Ridiculous

Welp I'm dead then.

I live around 360 and I-20 and work around PGBT and DNT.

In terms of pricing, I don't care that much since I have a Costco card and that I have to get premium anyway.

It's the fact that I have to fill up every 250 miles... my commute is 300 miles a week, 60 a day so I'm screwed if we run out of gas by Tuesday.

Gonna drive by the Costco on Plano and DNT and see what's up during lunch lol.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Welp I'm dead then.

In terms of pricing, I don't care that much since I have a Costco card and that I have to get premium anyway.

It's the fact that I have to fill up every 250 miles... my commute is 300 miles a week, 60 a day so I'm screwed if we run out of gas by Tuesday.

Its not a supply issue, its a logistics issue that is being handled right now, this problem wont go on for weeks. Too much of our supply came from Houston, things will get re-routed here. Its utter stupidity that people are panicking like this.

akileese

Welp I'm dead then.

You & I appear to have the same commute and the same gas issue. I have to put premium in my car so I'll probably be okay. Probably gonna duck out of work a little early to try and beat the rush home to find a place that isn't out.

Its not a supply issue, its a logistics issue that is being handled right now, this problem wont go on for weeks. Too much of our supply came from Houston, things will get re-routed here. Its utter stupidity that people are panicking like this.

Precisely. If I had filled up last night I'd be fine for the entire weekend. This will all be fixed by the holiday weekend.

Sulik2

I'm going to Dallas this week, whats some fun stuff to do there?

Is Cattleman's a good steak house?

NM: I'm an idiot and forgot to read the OP.

Yeah, if it wasn't clear I was being sarcastic with my post lol.

A majority of the gas companies have already rerouted their tankers to head over here so while the prices are gonna remain high, supply should be pretty good by the weekend.

The problem right now is that the hysteria took over and depleting the supply. If people didn't start rushing out to buy gas last night, I think it would've been fine. But since word spread that we might run out of gas, everyone and their moms panicked and rushed to get gas.

It's one of the reasons why I like economics... it's basically a self fulfilling prophecy lol.

You & I appear to have the same commute and the same gas issue. I have to put premium in my car so I'll probably be okay. Probably gonna duck out of work a little early to try and beat the rush home to find a place that isn't out.

Oh snap if you see a red Miata on PGBT around 7:30 to 8am, that is most likely me lol.

I filed up last Tuesday so I'm good until the weekend. But by then I'll only be able to travel a total of 40 miles before running out.

akileese

Yeah, if it wasn't clear I was being sarcastic with my post lol.

A majority of the gas companies have already rerouted their tankers to head over here so while the prices are gonna remain high, supply should be pretty good by the weekend.

The problem right now is that the hysteria took over and depleting the supply. If people didn't start rushing out to buy gas last night, I think it would've been fine. But since word spread that we might run out of gas, everyone and their moms panicked and rushed to get gas.

It's one of the reasons why I like economics... it's basically a self fulfilling prophecy lol.

Oh snap if you see a red Miata on PGBT around 7:30 to 8am, that is most likely me lol.

I filed up last Tuesday so I'm good until the weekend. But by then I'll only be able to travel a total of 40 miles before running out.

Haha! You're a bit too late for me. I'm on PGBT at like, 630 or so, dark blue Focus ST. As long as I can get a fill up today, I'll be good for the weekend, even if I can't nab one until Monday or Tuesday. I'm in IT so luckily I can work remote.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Haha! You're a bit too late for me. I'm on PGBT at like, 630 or so, dark blue Focus ST. As long as I can get a fill up today, I'll be good for the weekend, even if I can't nab one until Monday or Tuesday. I'm in IT so luckily I can work remote.

Lol I'm on my commute on DNT and PGBT going from Frisco to Las Calinas at that time. If you see an all black Sonata Hybrid, thats me :D

Building a house around Propser right now, so soon as the current one sells and the new one is built, I'll be on an even earlier commute (when I'm not working from home).

Regardless I'm working from home tomorrow.

Working 7am - 4pm really helps me skip most traffic.

It's happening.....

giphy.gif

dSlfQrN.gif%20alt=

At least the dumbass traffic has died down a bit around gas stations because so many are out. I'm good for now. But this may be an issue if it extends into the middle of next week.

At least the dumbass traffic has died down a bit around gas stations because so many are out. I'm good for now. But this may be an issue if it extends into the middle of next week.

There's like one or two around me that actually have gas but the lines are so long and I'm already low enough as it is with the refill icon on.

I'm afraid that they'll run out by the time I get through the line and I'll be screwed.

akileese

Got gas today from Costco. No problem.

The Costco, Kroger, and Walmart in my neighborhood all had gas and had no massive lines. It's like people are only funneling to the busiest stations they can find.

It seems like MOST folks have finally grasped that rushing to the pumps and buying all the god damn gas you don't need is both:
1) Stupid as hell and unnecessary.
2) Just drives prices up sky high so that they don't want to drive anywhere anyways.

The QuikTrip on I-20 and Collins has gas as of 30 mins from this post and there's no wait either.

It was only regular/87 so it's not ideal for my car but at least I can get to work on Tuesday lol.

The QT on I-20 and Lake Ridge/161 had a long ass line though.

I should've gone to Costco earlier, the one in between Plano and Park on the DNT had 2 tankers chilling in the lot at lunch time, but there was a line and I was hungry af so I skipped it.

Slacker

Ok Texas GAF Whataburger was a major diappointment. It's like Sonic food without the good ice cream.

How dare you. :) Seriously though get the sweet n spicy burger next time and enjoy. ;)

Best local burger for my buck is as Shady's in Richardson near UT Dallas.

Is the apocalypse here??

Was just driving from Arlington to Plano and it’s smoky as fuck in Arlington while it’s clear as day in Plano.

besada

Banned
Is the apocalypse here??

Was just driving from Arlington to Plano and it’s smoky as fuck in Arlington while it’s clear as day in Plano.

Fire officials are still investigating the cause. It could be coming from a controlled burn near U.S. Highway 287 and Kimble Road near the Midlothian and Mansfield border.

Meteorologist Jennifer Myers said there is also a 17-acre wildfire burning in Bastrop County near Austin. Since the wind today is blowing from the south it could be carrying the haze all the way up to North Texas
http://www.fox4news.com/news/haze-smell-of-smoke-lingers-in-dfw

NR1

Dallas-GAF????

What's the plan ya'll? Ride the storm or jump ship?

Discord? Reset Era?

I'm just blown away by what has happened in the last 72 hours here on NeoGAF. I've been here for over 10 years and I'm just stunned to see it come to this so suddenly. What a mess... so sad...

akileese

Dallas-GAF????

What's the plan ya'll? Ride the storm or jump ship?

Discord? Reset Era?

I'm just blown away by what has happened in the last 72 hours here on NeoGAF. I've been here for over 10 years and I'm just stunned to see it come to this so suddenly. What a mess... so sad...

I'm out but if someone wants to make a discord I'm down.

NR1

I'm new to the whole Discord thing (just herd about this app in the last 48 hours), so I honestly don't think Im the best person to set something up.

Top Bottom