• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Ottaro

Surprised the turnout was essentially the same in Dallas as Fort Worth. I would've expected something closer to Austin.

Just the nature of having split urban centers, I suppose.

And to be fair, Austin is what it is: both the state's liberal capitol and the state's government capitol. I was thinking of skipping the Dallas one myself so that I could go make a fuss around our capitol building instead.

Any of y'all going or at the protest going on at Terminal D in DFW?

I was there Sunday! It was a fantastic gathering. Tons of people brought food and water for the families and the protestors.

Anyone in the cityline area of Richardson/Plano have any suggestions on good apartments? Fiance and I are looking to possibly upgrade now that we are both making decent money but I hate the unknown of apartment hunting so very much.

Anyone in the cityline area of Richardson/Plano have any suggestions on good apartments? Fiance and I are looking to possibly upgrade now that we are both making decent money but I hate the unknown of apartment hunting so very much.

It's really difficult to tell atm imo. Most of the apartments in Plano and Richardson are older with few new ones that have been built in the past decade or so, most of the nice ones will cost you an arm and a leg.. I'm assuming you want to be close to 75?

You might want to look into Allen as there's tons of newer complexes there and it's only about 10 minutes further north. Granted with the construction on 75 it can really suck if you have to morning drive south, especially right before legacy.

It's really difficult to tell atm imo. Most of the apartments in Plano and Richardson are older with few new ones that have been built in the past decade or so, most of the nice ones will cost you an arm and a leg.. I'm assuming you want to be close to 75?

You might want to look into Allen as there's tons of newer complexes there and it's only about 10 minutes further north. Granted with the construction on 75 it can really suck if you have to morning drive south, especially right before legacy.

Yea this is one of our biggest obstacles right now. We live in that area, but in an older apartment complex. Everything else is either the same age/price, or has literally been built in the past few months so the reviews on them are sparse at best.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yea this is one of our biggest obstacles right now. We live in that area, but in an older apartment complex. Everything else is either the same age/price, or has literally been built in the past few months so the reviews on them are sparse at best.

A lot of nice newer apartments in Frisco off Legacy or closer to the DNT.

There's some real nice ones off of Bethany&75 and Exchange&75 in Allen.

Don't know your price range but. http://www.loftsatwatterscreek.com/

Delayne Apartments are also supposed to be really nice and more affordable. There's a couple of new complexes that are close to completion as well but I don't have the info on them.

Schlep

The problem (?) is there are too many companies moving here, causing people to move here, and not enough housing. Even in far north Fort Worth, the apartment I just moved out of last year is now going for $1050/mo. It's a 750 sq ft 1br.

I'm very glad I started building a house when I did.

Hi DFW GAF, I will be working in the Irvin, TX area starting this summer and I'm looking for suggestions for areas to live. No strong preferences, but I prefer to stay close to the office in the Las Colinas area and the airport. Mainly interested in i bedroom apartments, though would also consider a house if there's a good deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did notice that houses in Irving, especially towards the South side. are quite a bit cheaper than the general DFW area (which are red hot). Any particular reason for that?

akileese

I mean, not really outside of it being a not so nice area and hearing planes fly over all day.

It's like 99 percent planes I think. one of the reasons my place in Euless was so cheap was because of all the planes flying overhead all day. Honestly, it was worth it. If you're not going to be home a lot and just want a bed to sleep in, go for it. If you want peace and tranquility in the home, seek housing elsewhere.

I will note that avoiding planes in DFW is futile. Even up by Keller we get planes on Alliance airport as well as the fighter jets from time to time.

Hi DFW GAF, I will be working in the Irvin, TX area starting this summer and I'm looking for suggestions for areas to live. No strong preferences, but I prefer to stay close to the office in the Las Colinas area and the airport. Mainly interested in i bedroom apartments, though would also consider a house if there's a good deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did notice that houses in Irving, especially towards the South side. are quite a bit cheaper than the general DFW area (which are red hot). Any particular reason for that?

Check the MacArthur and 635 area. Lots of apartments and places to eat and grocery shop. It's close to work and easy access to go to the airport and towards Dallas. Are you looking to buy a home?

The neighborhoods there are mostly old neighborhoods from the 80's and 90's, plus it's surrounded by industrial areas so people don't really have a desire to move there, build new developments, or even gentrify it.

But tbh, it's mostly because a majority of DFW think it's the ghetto.

I will note that avoiding planes in DFW is futile. Even up by Keller we get planes on Alliance airport as well as the fighter jets from time to time.

Yup this is true. I live 12 miles south of DFW and if I look at the sky towards the south, there's usually 3 planes spaced out far enough and headed towards their final approach to the airport all at the same time! At one point in the day you can see 4 planes using the same specific approach in a span of 30 minutes! It's pretty amazing actually.

Ottaro

Perfect weather for a protest. The immigrant/refugee solidarity rally this morning was great.

The neighborhoods there are mostly old neighborhoods from the 80's and 90's, plus it's surrounded by industrial areas so people don't really have a desire to move there, build new developments, or even gentrify it.

Yup.
I've spent a lot of time in south Irving, it's not a bad/dangerous area at all, but it never saw the economic investment that north Irving did.
They have a strong latinx community there and in west Dallas. All the rich white folks took their money north fifty years ago and never looked back. White flight is chiseled into DFW's geography.

Thanks for the tips guys, going to start calling apartments next week. I'm mainly looking at apartments because housing prices in DFW are super high right now.

akileese

MY HOUSE IS GETTING POUNDED........... BAD

edit: damn golf ball sized hail everywhere........... surprised my windshield didn't bust

Jesus where are you? We're out in Keller and the skies got really mean...it rained for a bit, then it passed. We're still getting a tiny bit of thunder/lightning but nothing major. My mother in law is getting sirens up in McKinney/Allen though.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Well our house got the living hell beat out of it. Going to need a new roof after this :-/. We're in north west Frisco.

Damn that sucks y'all.

The skies looked scary af here in Arlington/GP but that's all it ever was, not even a drop of rain hit the ground over here.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My neighbors took this:
IMG_3710_zpsq7n3dgvu.jpg

Mine got hit with golf ball plus sized hail but luckily it didn't crack any windows.

It got hit pretty freaking hard though.

The sheer volume of it was pretty insane, there was a crazy amount pelting my house for a brief window.

The new X men tv show has apparently been filming here for almost a month now. They are shutting down parts of deep ellum at night this week.

NR1

Cross posting to my Off-Topic discussion:
Texas is being overrun by Bob-ombs!

For several years now, people in the Dallas-Fort Worth area have been greeted by these Bomb-omb images all over the place. I have seen them painted on street signs, old barns, bridges, business walls, and various other locations. Sometimes they appear as stickers while other times they are spray paint. The above photos were taken by me on March 15th in Rockwall, TX at the intersection of E Washington and S Fannin Streets.

Based on this Tumblr account, these guys have been popping up all around Texas since as early as April 2011.

http://whereisbobomb.tumblr.com

Where is Bob-omb? said:
I saw my first one in Austin during SXSW and then saw two more later that week. It looks like a modified Bob-omb from Mario. Did some searching around on the web and found other folks noticing it too.

Then, while visiting family in the Dallas area, I see another one. Now I'm obsessed! What is this thing and why do I keep seeing it everywhere?!?!

I started this site to track down more of these and/or figure out what the hell it means. If you come across this smoking, walking bomb, snap a picture and post it here!

It wasn't until now, that I learned that these guys were popping up outside of the DFW area. It appears to be limited to Texas though. Anyone else seen these bob-ombs while driving to work or hanging out around town? Any thoughts as to what they are suppose to mean?

Didn't even know we had storms? What area and what time?

e: Quick Delkus twitter check brought this up! http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/hackers-prompted-sirens-to-go-off-across-dallas-area/429739791

TLDR; They're claiming someone hacked the system?

It was pretty interesting tbh. I was at Topgolf on Park Lane until midnight when I first noticed, took an Uber down to Uptown and you can still hear it.

My Uber driver was joking and saying the Russians sent a missile to Grand Prairie to knock out Lockheed Martin before launching a full scale assault.

What he said actually freaked me out coz it's very plausible... LM has a huge operation in GP and I remember my high school history teacher who's a former Marine say that if somebody were to launch missiles at the US, DFW would be one of the first targets due to LM, Raytheon, Boeing, and all the other military companies located here.

Thankfully, I was drunk af and headed to a bar after that so I forgot about it until I woke up haha.

I'm going to guess it was a social engineering thing. If we are stupid enough to network a safety critical system xternally...

I honestly don't know the point of doing it besides to annoy people lol. The crowds in Uptown weren't concerned whatsoever that death was upon them and just kept partying on until last call.

It was pretty interesting tbh. I was at Topgolf on Park Lane until midnight when I first noticed, took an Uber down to Uptown and you can still hear it.

My Uber driver was joking and saying the Russians sent a missile to Grand Prairie to knock out Lockheed Martin before launching a full scale assault.

What he said actually freaked me out coz it's very plausible... LM has a huge operation in GP and I remember my high school history teacher who's a former Marine say that if somebody were to launch missiles at the US, DFW would be one of the first targets due to LM, Raytheon, Boeing, and all the other military companies located here.

Thankfully, I was drunk af and headed to a bar after that so I forgot about it until I woke up haha.

I honestly don't know the point of doing it besides to annoy people lol. The crowds in Uptown weren't concerned whatsoever that death was upon them and just kept partying on until last call.

It freaked out a ton of people. 911 lines were clogged.

Ottaro

Dallas' skyline could be in for big changes, thanks to one of the world's top architects.

Sir Norman Foster, the legendary British architect whose firm has designed some of the world's most compelling skyscrapers, is working on a tower for downtown Dallas.

Developer H. Ross Perot Jr.'s Hillwood real estate firm has hired London-based Foster + Partners to create concept plans for an almost 70-story tower on the northern edge of downtown.

The soaring glass-and-steel high-rise would be across Woodall Rodgers Freeway from the Perot Museum of Nature and Science.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2017/03/24/round-skyscraper-famed-architect-remake-dallas-skyline

I'm not sure how I feel about it tbh. It would completely reshape the skyline but I don't know if for the better. It's interesting though.

Ottaro

I would just like to remind everyone that most of you have elections coming up. I plan on going in for early voting tomorrow. A lot of mayoral and council member races, which have a big impact on our day to day life.

Find out what is on your ballot:

Dallas County: http://www.dallascountyvotes.org/election-day-voting/

Denton County: http://www.votedenton.com/election-day-voting/

Collin County: http://www.collincountytx.gov/elections/election_information/Pages/sampleballots.aspx

Tarrant County: https://www.tarrantcounty.com/en/elections/Upcoming-Election-Information/Sample-Ballots-by-Entity.html?linklocation=Button%20List&linkname=Sample%20Ballots

I would just like to remind everyone that most of you have elections coming up. I plan on going in for early voting tomorrow. A lot of mayoral and council member races, which have a big impact on our day to day life.

Collin County: http://www.collincountytx.gov/elections/election_information/Pages/sampleballots.aspx

Tarrant County: https://www.tarrantcounty.com/en/elections/Upcoming-Election-Information/Sample-Ballots-by-Entity.html?linklocation=Button%20List&linkname=Sample%20Ballots

Thanks, I was looking for this info will go out and vote. Gonna be a slaughter but I am glutton for punishment.

Thanks, get out there folks. And don't forget to do some research!

akileese

So Pete Delkus posted about this on FB but tornado sirens are now outdoor warning sirens and can be used for high wind and hail.

I think I'm okay with the hail portion as long as they put a cap on the size of the hail they sound them for, but high wind seems iffy. What's the threshold for "high wind"? We routinely get some pretty severe winds, but not enough to cause structural damage (yesterday was incredibly windy but there was no inclement weather attached).

My real concern with this is that if you start blaring sirens every time there's 40MPH winds people will tune them out and become desensitized to them, which will lead to more weather related fatalities than not. Thoughts?

Ottaro

My real concern with this is that if you start blaring sirens every time there's 40MPH winds people will tune them out and become desensitized to them, which will lead to more weather related fatalities than not. Thoughts?

I was raised to be scared of those sirens. Playing outside and hearing those go off while the sky darkened felt hella ominous. Using them for any weather less severe would desensitize some people I imagine.

In other news

Breaking: Donald Trump taps Irving Mayor @Bethvanduyne as regional HUD administrator. trib.it/2pZ8LgB
https://twitter.com/texastribune/status/861627780420730880

These two deserve each other. She wont be missed here.

Moderate? Haha

That driver was an idiot, I mean he already was getting in a car chase to begin with, but who the hell decides to go through the busiest streets of Dallas during the lunch hour rush??

Typical Fort Worth-ian lol.

akileese

Hey friends! I remember way back when we used to have an Initial D team on this place back when the first Round One opened in Arlington.

Turns out the newer one in Grapevine now has Maximum Tune 5! If you have one of the Bandai cards (they sell them at the counter), you can just keep popping in your save data and upgrade your card.

Does anyone go to Grapevine for Initial D/Maximum Tune?

Speaking of arcades... I was at Free Play Arlington last night.

They had a great selection of cabinets like TMNT Turtles Against Time, NBA Jam, Tekken Tag, Gauntlet, Killer Instinct, House of the Dead, and lots of pinball machines.

Also they had Super Street Fighter II but of course some basement dwellers were hogging it all up and didn't really let anybody else play it. I was there for 2 hours with friends and it was literally the same nerds that were there everytime I'd walk by the bar.

I wanted to complain to management about it but it was just super busy and it wasn't worth the trouble so eh. But hopefully they establish some kind of rule where you can't hog up the damn cabinet.

Top Bottom