• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Is Time Warner Cable in Dallas as incompetent, overpriced, terrible, and possibly evil as it is in NYC?

Nope.

TWC in the Arlington/GP area 10mbps up and 100mbps down for around $60 IIRC.

My only issue with them and, this is partially our fault, is that during install, their incompetent sub-contractors disabled our DirecTV line when installing theirs. It's partially our fault because split connections are apparently rare but TWC acknowledged their shitty subcontractors and sent an actual TWC tech to fix their mess within a day or two.

All he had to do was re-route the cable connection to my room(where the modem is) and kept DirecTV's connection separate from mine.

Beyond that, we've never had any issues with them.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Anyone else take some hail damage this evening? Wife and I got the car damaged on our commute home. House took a beetling too.

Anyone else take some hail damage this evening? Wife and I got the car damaged on our commute home. House took a beetling too.

Didn't even rain a lick here in the mid-cities.

Hell, the sun was shining brightly here the entire time.

I hated the humidity though... good lord it reminded me of the Philippines when I stepped outside my office. Felt like I needed to take a shower when I got home lol.

akileese

Didn't even rain a lick here in the mid-cities.

Hell, the sun was shining brightly here the entire time.

I hated the humidity though... good lord it reminded me of the Philippines when I stepped outside my office. Felt like I needed to take a shower when I got home lol.

It got incredibly windy and dark here in Fort Worth. It passed in about 15 or 20 minutes and didn't even rain. It was very strange.

akileese

Looks like another humdinger rolling through. Stay safe everyone.

The winds are absolutely fierce. With that said, it looks like the worst of the hail and the tornadoes, which should be scarce due to the straight line nature of the storm, should be south of the metroplex. Still be safe everyone!

Thanks for the advice and answers from the posters above. Wife and I settled on a place and we're moving to Dallas at the end of May.

Is Time Warner Cable in Dallas as incompetent, overpriced, terrible, and possibly evil as it is in NYC?

I have the 100mb TWC internet and have had zero problems at all. Had the service since October. Right now I pay like $52 after taxes, but after the intro period is over, it'll go to $70 something. No complaints at all. I'm near the Bishop Arts area (like a mile from downtown). And granted, I'm at an apartment property that is something like going on 2 years old, so I'm sure all of the lines and infrastructure are all modern and spanking new.

Damn I was on the road and they sounded off the sirens here in south Arlington... almost had a heart attack then I find out it's due to the 60+ MPH winds that are about to hit the area.

-____-

Fnck man. Those sirens have been ingrained to me as a proper tornado about to swallow my ass, not some wind that can push me over. I understand that high winds are still considered to be severe weather, but man... it's a tough change especially when it's really ingrained in you.

akileese

Damn I was on the road and they sounded off the sirens here in south Arlington... almost had a heart attack then I find out it's due to the 60+ MPH winds that are about to hit the area.

-____-

Fnck man. Those sirens have been ingrained to me as a proper tornado about to swallow my ass, not some wind that can push me over. I understand that high winds are still considered to be severe weather, but man... it's a tough change especially when it's really ingrained in you.

Yikes sorry you had to go through that. We didn't get any sirens up in Fort Worth/Keller despite the 60 MPH winds. Up where I live they seem to only set them off for tornados and nothing else.

A lot of wind, a lot of rain, but no hail so that's good! It was over by about 815pm.

Slacker

Delkus was griping about the sirens thing last night on twitter and today on a facebook livestream thing. Every city has its own standards regarding when they sound the alarm, so you pretty much have to specifically find out what the sirens mean where you live. Really dilutes the effectiveness of the system to me. When I hear the sirens, I want it to mean I need to hit the deck.

akileese

Delkus was griping about the sirens thing last night on twitter and today on a facebook livestream thing. Every city has its own standards regarding when they sound the alarm, so you pretty much have to specifically find out what the sirens mean where you live. Really dilutes the effectiveness of the system to me. When I hear the sirens, I want it to mean I need to hit the deck.

This is what it should mean since you can hear them (at least where we live in Keller/Ft. Worth) in three different areas. How the hell am I suppose to know if real danger is coming? I'm admittedly glued to Pete Delkus' twitter during bad storms but most people aren't.

Yikes sorry you had to go through that. We didn't get any sirens up in Fort Worth/Keller despite the 60 MPH winds. Up where I live they seem to only set them off for tornados and nothing else.

A lot of wind, a lot of rain, but no hail so that's good! It was over by about 815pm.

Yeah, thankfully it wasn't that serious.

I was just driving on Cooper st from the Dunkin' Donuts headed home when those sirens went off... I was gonna take 20 east to go home but I ended up hiding inside the Parks Mall parking garage lol. Then I checked Twitter and that's when I saw that it was all for strong winds. Smh lol.

Really dilutes the effectiveness of the system to me. When I hear the sirens, I want it to mean I need to hit the deck.

I agree 200%.

I was actually talking to one of my meteorologist buddies about it this morning and she agrees that Arlington shouldn't have sounded the sirens for something like that. But on the other hand, you apparently gotta look at it from their perspective as well, in that if something did happen then Arlington would've been reprimanded to hell and back, especially since there was a Rangers game going on.

It's a damned if you do, and damned if you don't situation I guess.

akileese

Nasty winds and a shitload of rain. Be safe all. I don't think this is a dangerous storm per say, but it's been sitting over our neighborhood for like 15 minutes now.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I'm visiting NYC for the weekend on a work trip.. And man is this city fricking disgusting. Makes me truly appreciate Dallas. Seriously how can people live on in this filthy hell hole? It smells, garbage everywhere, it looks like shit, and I'm talking about Park Avenue in Downtown Mnahatten!

akileese

So I'm visiting NYC for the weekend on a work trip.. And man is this city fricking disgusting. Makes me truly appreciate Dallas. Seriously how can people live on in this filthy hell hole? It smells, garbage everywhere, it looks like shit, and I'm talking about Park Avenue in Downtown Mnahatten!

I'm a transplant from the tri-state and while I loved visiting NYC and spending a day or two there, hated the extended stays. I honestly don't know how anyone can live there. That said, most of my friends live in Queens or Long Island (or north Jersey). You pretty much hit it on the head.

That said, there's some amazing food joints in the area (Crif Dogs down on 113 St. Marks is pretty much my favorite hot dog joint in the entire country) that make it an awesome place to visit.

Speaking of food! K-Pop Burger just opened up on Timberland Drive in Fort Worth. It's pricey for a burger joint, but the burgers are monstrous and delicious. We went last night and my wife and I split a 2am (which has a layer of mozarella, a hash brown, fried egg, cheese, bacon, and BBQ sauce) and a side of fries so it ran us about $16. I'm a pretty fat guy and I've rarely ran into a burger I couldn't finish and I've yet to finish a meal from them in one sitting. The big downside is food can take a while to prepare if they're busy (I waited 35 minutes once) but I think it's worth the wait.

Speaking of food! K-Pop Burger just opened up on Timberland Drive in Fort Worth. It's pricey for a burger joint, but the burgers are monstrous and delicious. We went last night and my wife and I split a 2am (which has a layer of mozarella, a hash brown, fried egg, cheese, bacon, and BBQ sauce) and a side of fries so it ran us about $16. I'm a pretty fat guy and I've rarely ran into a burger I couldn't finish and I've yet to finish a meal from them in one sitting. The big downside is food can take a while to prepare if they're busy (I waited 35 minutes once) but I think it's worth the wait.

Thanks for the tip. Will have to make the drive one day.

I looked at the menu on their FB page and as a K-Pop fan, you'd think I'd be excited... nah, I'm shaking my head in embarrassment over here lol.

The food looks good though!

I'll definitely try it out if I'm ever in that area.

alejob

Will be in the Grapevine area for a conference next week. Looking forward to getting to know the place a little. Thinking of going fishing in Lake Fork.

Cagey

Banned
I moved to Dallas. Thanks for the advice from people some weeks ago.

People are very friendly, especially coming from the NYC tristate. Also it rains all the damn time.

Random question - What's the best Korean food spot? We went to Korean Kalbi and were underwhelmed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

People are very friendly, especially coming from the NYC tristate. Also it rains all the damn time.

Random question - What's the best Korean food spot? We went to Korean Kalbi and were underwhelmed.

You looking for a BBQ place or general dishes?
Where is the place you mentioned, I've never heard of it.

The fastest growing Korean hotspot is the NW corner of Old Denton Road and George Bush centered around an H-Mart with lots of Korean pubs, restaurants, some BBQ, chicken shack, etc. Even a place that only serves various kinds of juk (or congee).

I'm not super picky so I like to get BBQ over at Jin Korean BBQ in east Plano as I like the more self serve nature of it.

As for the rain, it's kind of unusual. :)

akileese

You just happened to move during the rainy season. It's been like this the last few years April through say...mid June. Then it literally won't rain for four months. It's become the norm around here. Get paranoid about everything overflowing and flooding and then watch the levels go back down over the summer.

As Dallow_bg said, there's a ton of Korean owned shops on Old Denton/George Bush in Carrollton (it's expanded in to pretty much all of the far East now as the opposite corner has a 99 Ranch Market and a Daiso). I always go to a place called Abe in that shopping complex because you can't beat them in price/portion/service. It's Japanese food but Korean owned and operated. There's no less than three Korean BBQ joints in that complex and there's also a karaoke joint as well.

In my history going there, all the food in that area is pretty good and you really can't go wrong.

E: Also as is tradition, tell everyone from the tristate it's terrible here. No work, rude people, horrible weather. Our house prices have gotten high enough as it is haha

Cagey

Banned
Ah it was called Koryo Kalbi Korean, on Royal by Route 35. I'll try the others by the H-Mart (also good to know) for when the in-laws come. Thanks!

akileese

Google Fiber posted a blog today about exploring Dallas. As is always the case with the metroplex, I have no idea if they mean the city proper, or the surrounding metroplex. Honestly, probably just the city proper.

Anyone thinking of going to Let's Play Gaming Expo at the Plano Center this weekend? This will be its second year after a surprisingly good first (aside from the name). At the least they'll have a well-maintained arcade with lots of rare vector-display games; I'm certain the console area will be good this year, too, and I hope The Obsolete Geek brings his Japanese PC collection this year. Ad hoc GAF meetup here would be excellent.

Somebody please tell mother nature to shut off the damn humidity... I literally just spent 5 minutes outside to clean my car and it looked like somebody sprayed water all over my face.

Granted it's early on in the season and my body hasn't acclimated yet but man... if this is an indication of how the rest of summer is going to be like, we're going to die lol.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Somebody please tell mother nature to shut off the damn humidity... I literally just spent 5 minutes outside to clean my car and it looked like somebody sprayed water all over my face.

Granted it's early on in the season and my body hasn't acclimated yet but man... if this is an indication of how the rest of summer is going to be like, we're going to die lol.
Just called Mother Nature. She said no.

Still less humid than Florida or the rest of the Midwest.

Holy crap anyone else awake? Absolutely getting pounded by storms here in Addison.

Yeah.

I can hear thunder going off in the distance but it's not as bad as it was the morning before. I literally could not sleep from 4 to 7AM since it sounded like the lightning was literally over my house.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to sleep peacefully right now lol.

akileese

Holy crap anyone else awake? Absolutely getting pounded by storms here in Addison.

Same in Keller/Fort Worth. Was like that Sunday night too around 4-530am. We just got pounded with thunderstorms relentlessly. Pete Delkus said there was something insane like 5000 lightning strikes in an hour.

Do y'all know of any job openings for a guy who can shoot and edit videos? A buddy's about to be let go since his contract is up and they decided not to extend his contract or bring him on full time. His now about to previous gig had him do a bunch of production work for one of the many reality TV shows filmed here and it's a great money-making gig but a terrible point on a resume since it basically amounts to a production assistant position even if you did a bunch of other things.

What about other gigs that don't require a specific kind of skill? I told him to go for Amazon but I myself don't even know where to apply for that lol.

It doesn't necessarily have to be full time, though of course that'd be great, but part-time or maybe even a temp gig would work. He's still wanting to do videography as a career so he just needs to get by for a few months while searching for another contract or gig in that field.

akileese

Just stay inside lol.

I was at Sundance square yesterday catching Pokemon around 8PM and I was still dying from the heat.

We went down to Bedford Boys Ranch from 9-1130 and still were almost dying. The Brand New show Friday night at Verizon Field was bloody fucking unbearable. I got sick when I came home because of going from hot to cold so rapidly.

We went down to Bedford Boys Ranch from 9-1130 and still were almost dying. The Brand New show Friday night at Verizon Field was bloody fucking unbearable. I got sick when I came home because of going from hot to cold so rapidly.

Does Bedford Ranch have a bunch of Pokestops or rare Pokemon?

So far I've only been to the botanical gardens and Sundance in Ft. Worth, then also around downtown Dallas during work lol. I still need to hit up the arboretum but it's just too damn hot so I think I'm gonna wait.

Is the Verizon field a new thing? Lol I honestly have never heard of it until this Brand New concert. I'm assuming it's just the field outside the VZ Center right? I was just there a few months back for graduation and I'm pretty sure they had no plans of demolishing that place... right? Lol.

akileese

Does Bedford Ranch have a bunch of Pokestops or rare Pokemon?

So far I've only been to the botanical gardens and Sundance in Ft. Worth, then also around downtown Dallas during work lol. I still need to hit up the arboretum but it's just too damn hot so I think I'm gonna wait.

Is the Verizon field a new thing? Lol I honestly have never heard of it until this Brand New concert. I'm assuming it's just the field outside the VZ Center right? I was just there a few months back for graduation and I'm pretty sure they had no plans of demolishing that place... right? Lol.

They have slowpokes, slowbros, occasional snorlax/blastoise/pikachu, magikarp (like...as shitload. Holy god. So many), psyduck, golduck, dratini, and dragonair.

Tons of pokestops, almost always with lures on them too.

e: Verizon Field is literally a patch of fucking grass they charge money to stand on. It's really unlevel, really uncomfortable, and sucks. But Brand New..so whatever.

woodchuck

Finally checked out Free Play Arcade in Richardson. Huge selection of games and good selection of beer. It was really packed on Saturday night. Hope they continue to do well.

Finally checked out Free Play Arcade in Richardson. Huge selection of games and good selection of beer. It was really packed on Saturday night. Hope they continue to do well.
Every sign points to them having chosen a good location (I can reach it easily from 75 heading south), great maintenance and upkeep, and not too many people except on weekends. A GAF meetup there would be cool.

akileese

Every sign points to them having chosen a good location (I can reach it easily from 75 heading south), great maintenance and upkeep, and not too many people except on weekends. A GAF meetup there would be cool.

I'd be down for this even though it's basically on the other side of the metroplex from where I live haha

Was there two weeks ago with some friends. Was our first time going there and it was pretty awesome. I was a little weirded out a bit by some guy that kept following to different fighting arcade games and kept challenging me while drunk but other than that it was an awesome night.

I'd be down for a second dallasgaf meet up there myself

fmpanda

Was there two weeks ago with some friends. Was our first time going there and it was pretty awesome. I was a little weirded out a bit by some guy that kept following to different fighting arcade games and kept challenging me while drunk but other than that it was an awesome night.

I'd be down for a second dallasgaf meet up there myself

Hmnn, that might be someone from the Unofficial Free Play Arcade Group, they do little challenges like that all the time so they can dominate scoreboards and whatnot, pay them little mind.

Free Play is my goto arcade joint as it's 5 mins away from my house, plus they have good beer too.

Slacker

I head to Richardson all the time to hit Shady's burger joint. Oh and Snuffer's there now too. I'll have to check out Free Play next time I'm around there. Is it kid-friendly during the day?

Top Bottom