• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Luschient

If you're gonna be in Frisco, check out the National Video Game museum that opened recently. Lot of cool shit there plus an 80s arcade.

buttonsmasher

Neo Member
anybody heading out to that schoolboy/joey concert tonight? lets hang! I'm heading out with a pal that wants to rush the front, but I'm not that interested in being so sweaty.

I've brought it up before but it really seems like homelessness is getting bad in the DFW area including the suburbs. After reading some articles on the new bond in Dallas to help alleviate it I've read numbers that the city has reported an increase in 25% for 2016.

The sad thing is that landlords aren't even using the vouchers that are currently available as $8 million in vouchers has remained unused.

I've brought it up before but it really seems like homelessness is getting bad in the DFW area including the suburbs. After reading some articles on the new bond in Dallas to help alleviate it I've read numbers that the city has reported an increase in 25% for 2016.

The sad thing is that landlords aren't even using the vouchers that are currently available as $8 million in vouchers has remained unused.

Increased cost of housing, people coming from out of state taking jobs, and Dallas forcing the homeless to leVe tent city all made the homeless problem worse. It keeps creeping north and now I have to see them on corners in Plano. Unfortunately they go wherever the dart can take them and set up shop on a corner. People giving them money doesn't help.

Cagey

Banned

I've only been here since Memorial Day but I'm stunned at the amount of homeless people downtown. I never saw it this bad in NYC or Newark, even the roughest parts of the South Bronx.

I must pass 15 or so homeless people on a 5 minute walk to work every morning because of a single DART station.

early voting starts today

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1Ncz3jerlPIuJZAost73QFIxe8yQ
http://www.dallascountyvotes.org/wp-content/uploads/EVLocations.pdf

bO4fAtT.png

GOGOGOGO

NR1

VOTED!!

Fun story: The pollsters told the lady behind me to turn her shirt inside out before voting-- she was wearing a "Women for Trump" shirt. She asked why and they told her that it was considered "politically influencing" and was not allowed in the voting area. She put a sweater on over and the pollsters told her, "Luckly, you are good looking enough to get away with that." Oh the irony... Only in America can a woman be objectified moments before she casts a ballot for a man who objectifies women.

akileese

Since we're fast approaching winter (sort of?) I had a quick question for any folks with performance cars. I got a Focus ST a few months back and I'm debating whether or not to keep my all weathers on for the winter or get actual winter tires? I was thinking I'd just keep my all weathers on because if the weather goes south, odds are I won't be going anywhere anyways but I was curious what other people were running.

I kept my summer tires on year around. They survived the winters but I did drive more cautiously when it snowed or iced. Sure was fun to slide around in empty parking lots though.

akileese

I kept my summer tires on year around. They survived the winters but I did drive more cautiously when it snowed or iced. Sure was fun to slide around in empty parking lots though.

Hahaha nice. What do you drive? I think when we had that really bad rain storm a month back, I had my traction control off and I was going around that bend on the Bush by 35. I felt the back in slide a bit and I got control of it and turned it back on until it dried out.

2006 Miata with no traction control on Cooper Zeon RS3-A all season tires.

The past 4 years I was running Yokohama S.Drives summer tires and I never had any problem.

The only reason why I switched to all seasons this time is for comfort. My suspension is too stiff and the road noise is too much for a daily driver lol.

The shut down 102.1 the Edge today. Pour one out...

There's many reasons why it went under, but I never understood why they doubled down on nu metal. I guess they did it since 97.1 mostly plays 70s,80s, and 90s stuff.

It's like "Hey guys!! Wanna listen to some disturbed, godsmack and Blue October!!"

I'm just like

2YFfur1.gif

every time I would hear the station at work or on the road. A lot of rock and alternative music from the 80's 90's has aged well with its crowd but outside of a few bands from the 2000s (Muse, White Stripes, Weezer) the majority of alt rock music from that era aged horribly with most of it's audience.

102.1 is rumored to switch over to Christmas music for the season then switch to something else once it's done.

And supposedly, they were trying to beat 98.7 at their game by going with Christmas early but guess what... 98.7 just switched over to Christmas music at exactly 4PM today sooooo... lol.

That said though, I'm not too surprised The Edge got killed off. iHeartMedia hasn't exactly been in a good spot in recent years, for example, one of my buddies who's a board operator there got his hours cut a few months ago and he was already working part-time with only 20 hours a week!

Don't be too shocked if more radio stations jump formats in the next year or so. Radio is unfortunately dying and it just isn't profitable anymore... sports radio whether talk or actual sports is never going away, morning shows aren't gonna get cut unless they do something stupid on air or contract issues, but the rest of the time, it's seriously not a good look.

^The program director at the Ticket was saying they were gonna switch to adult contemporary (Whitney Houston) etc. after Christmas.

Interesting, that kinda falls in line with what I heard actually, that they're going to a format that's going to steal some listeners from KLUV/98.7.

I dunno if it'll work or if it's worth it though. Jack FM/100.3 already does AC and they do it really well, not to mention cheaply due to automation. Like seriously a few years back when I was working for CBS Radio, the Jack FM "studios" is no bigger than your average apartment living room. It's literally a huge mixing board, computer, chair, a server stack, trashcan, and a TV on the wall. Nowadays I think it might be a little bit bigger since they moved the stations to different locations/floors across the building but back then it was quite a shock for me.

Anyway, it's a shame what's happening though. I like to think the end of times for The Edge was when they fully dropped Adventure Club, and since radio was still somewhat profitable, they were able to coast along until Chris Jagger left the morning show in April of this year, now that is when I think it snowballed and got to where we are today.

Y'all need to jump on over to 91.7/KXT if you haven't, also the Local Ticket every Sunday night is amazing... and that's probably the only time I ever listen to the Ticket haha.

Interesting, that kinda falls in line with what I heard actually, that they're going to a format that's going to steal some listeners from KLUV/98.7.

I dunno if it'll work or if it's worth it though. Jack FM/100.3 already does AC and they do it really well, not to mention cheaply due to automation. Like seriously a few years back when I was working for CBS Radio, the Jack FM "studios" is no bigger than your average apartment living room. It's literally a huge mixing board, computer, chair, a server stack, trashcan, and a TV on the wall. Nowadays I think it might be a little bit bigger since they moved the stations to different locations/floors across the building but back then it was quite a shock for me.

Anyway, it's a shame what's happening though. I like to think the end of times for The Edge was when they fully dropped Adventure Club, and since radio was still somewhat profitable, they were able to coast along until Chris Jagger left the morning show in April of this year, now that is when I think it snowballed and got to where we are today.

Y'all need to jump on over to 91.7/KXT if you haven't, also the Local Ticket every Sunday night is amazing... and that's probably the only time I ever listen to the Ticket haha.

I like that station on occasion but their music sometimes is a bit too mellow for me, it makes me want to fall asleep on my commute to work. The music is good, just their choices seem to be more on the slower side.

besada

Banned
I switched over to the EDGE today and got "Closing Time" on a loop. That's a big moment for me. I was 19 when the EDGE came to town, and it was the only radio station that played alternative music. Granted, when they started it was basically R.E.M. all the time, but it was either that or rock, country, classic rock, so it was a breath of fresh air.

Farewell, KDGE.

Now it makes sense why during one time on the Russ Martin show they had one of the guys working on a Christmas music program but didn't say what it was for

NR1

83785418-20E3-4143-A66E-B68CEFD6FABB.jpg

262F9BA3-36F9-48CA-B5D8-D5C2A5F34B24.jpg

1AFCB292-9278-40BA-9E43-E61E1F724117.jpg

18076BC6-7EA6-4423-BB1C-45E56C343D92.jpg

F1A1F3BB-2C40-4950-839E-3B0FB8535DB9.jpg

Meeting Rufio (Dante Bosco), Don't Ask (James Madio), and HOOK screenwriter James V. "Jim" Hart!!

This was as the Alamo Drafthouse last night in Dallas, TX. Only Dante Basco and James Madio were scheduled to attend, but James Hart happens to live in Fort Worth, heard about the screening, and asked to be invited too at the last minute! Everyone was so fun and friendly too. I'm so glad I got to meet them! My girlfriend had never seen HOOK before, so it was an extra treat to meet these guys too. Took her to a Willy Wonka screening a few months back after Gene Wilder's passing which had the actors that played Teevee and Veruca Salt in attendance. It's always a blast to meet these people.

NR1

AA09A64D-9F74-4E64-B0F0-C59D9BF15723.jpg

I went a did a job recently at the Azure Condo Building in downtown Dallas... WOW!!! I was working on the 30th floor, where a certain someone owns a penthouse... asking price for the unit next-door is currently $5 million.

F67A2B93-51F1-48B2-817E-055653805178.jpg

D057E5DA-8115-4B94-BC94-71A906CA1DEA.jpg

0691BC9E-FFE7-43AB-AA94-333DBEE46F1E.jpg

F1E99E09-6DCE-47A7-AF71-A710225A9FDC.jpg

The rich live a lifestyle I'll never understand or experience...

akileese

This is the longest shot in the dark ever but my kid's friends showed up with a stray and we're stuck caring for it (at least until my wife can take it to the Fort Worth Humane Society). Is anyone interested? Since I assumed that answer is no, can anyone provide a better option than the humane society?

Our lease prohibits us having animals (not like pay a fee, but strictly prohibits it) so long term keeping of this little ball of fluff is out of the quest.

Suburbs gaf have any of ya been to the Allen Event Center for concerts? How was it?

I've talked to a few people who saw Hall & Oates and Collective Soul with Goo Goo Dolls and they seemed to enjoy it a lot.

I was thinking about getting tickets to go see Panic at the Disco in March possibly. Think it's a good venue for that type of band?

I'm actually surprised it's almost sold out, I didn't realize they still had that type of pull O_O

Reunion Tower fireworks show was awesome. Was able to see it from my apartment!

Can't believe this is the first year for it. Hopefully they do it moving forward.

Hey DFW GAF. I've been conversing with a lot of you for years. I don't know when the last time we had a meetup is but after posting my thread in the OT I actually wouldn't mind meeting some of y'all over some beers.

So I am proposing that we have a DFW GAF meetup. Now I am terrible at knowing good places for us to grab a beer. I also think it depends on the relative location of everyone and who would be interested. But I'm open to helping figure something out. For reference I live in Dallas north of 635.

So if you're interested in us doing a Meetup let me know in the thread below. Ideally I'd like it to happen before the end of the month.

Edit: if I see enough responses I think it would be okay to make a separate thread in the OT right?

Pagusas

Elden Member
snow today in DFW after what seems like 2 years without any.

Yep, my work closed down the office immediately. I love this about DFW. A few fluries and it all shuts down. It would take 2ft+ to shut things down when I lived in Northern Illinois, and all that ment was you were expected to show up to the office by noon instead of 8!

Cagey

Banned
Yep, my work closed down the office immediately. I love this about DFW. A few fluries and it all shuts down. It would take 2ft+ to shut things down when I lived in Northern Illinois, and all that ment was you were expected to show up to the office by noon instead of 8!
Early dismissal here. I was dumbfounded. "For flurries?!?!"

No complaints though.

Holy mother of god this shit sucks. I was excited at first since this is the first time my Miata has seen and been on snow(finally got all season tires lol) then by the time I hit the corner of 183 and 360, all hell fncking broke loose lol.

Traffic was backed up from there all the way to PGBT then PGBT was backed up even before 183 all the way up to I-20.

It took me 20 minutes to go to the HEB area at exactly 12PM and when I left at 3, it took me an hour to get home.

At one point I was debating on pulling off the road coz I couldn't feel my left leg anymore when I tried to use the clutch in my car lol.

Made it home. Thankfully my stretch of I-635 W was unscathed. It was completely fucked going east though. It snowed just enough to fuck up the roads good since apparently almost no trucks were deployed. My skid alarm went off 3 times though. Damn what a mess.

akileese

Holy mother of god this shit sucks. I was excited at first since this is the first time my Miata has seen and been on snow(finally got all season tires lol) then by the time I hit the corner of 183 and 360, all hell fncking broke loose lol.

Traffic was backed up from there all the way to PGBT then PGBT was backed up even before 183 all the way up to I-20.

It took me 20 minutes to go to the HEB area at exactly 12PM and when I left at 3, it took me an hour to get home.

At one point I was debating on pulling off the road coz I couldn't feel my left leg anymore when I tried to use the clutch in my car lol.

The path of snow was peculiar. George Bush was rough with a good bit of ice on the bridges. Sandy Lake was not fun. At all. 3 or 4 accidents in a 4 mile stretch. 121-114-170 from grapevine through Keller were completely fine. Now it's sunny. TEXAS!

Made it home. Thankfully my stretch of I-635 W was unscathed. It was completely fucked going east though. It snowed just enough to fuck up the roads good since apparently almost no trucks were deployed. My skid alarm went off 3 times though. Damn what a mess.

Oh yeah, NTTA, TxDOT and whoever else managed the roads were severely under-prepared. Like NTTA's sand trucks for the Irving/GP side of PGBT were all lined up on the side of the road getting filled up with sand at 3:30 in the afternoon... the snow was basically about to stop falling 30 minutes later. It's ridiculous imo.

The path of snow was peculiar. George Bush was rough with a good bit of ice on the bridges. Sandy Lake was not fun. At all. 3 or 4 accidents in a 4 mile stretch. 121-114-170 from grapevine through Keller were completely fine. Now it's sunny. TEXAS!

That's interesting, the HEB area was pretty much covered in snow and 183 had some accumulation on the shoulders.

Heck even my car was covered in snow when I got to it around 2:45, and I didn't have a dang scraper on me... then again who knew it was gonna be this bad? All the weathermen were saying "nah this shit ain't happening" for the entire week, but looky here, it actually did happen and all hell broke loose lol.

akileese

Hey all! Potential for severe weather tonight for the Fort Worth portion of the Metroplex. 60-70 MPH winds, quarter size hail, and maybe brief tornadoes. Be careful out there.

830pm edit: This storm is going straight down the 360 line. Headed for southern Tarrant county and going towards the airport and then lewisville/carrollton. Be safe all.

Man this is some shit y'all.

Cowboys lose and then we get this shitty weather?

Ugh.

830pm edit: This storm is going straight down the 360 line. Headed for southern Tarrant county and going towards the airport and then lewisville/carrollton. Be safe all.

Can kinda confirm.

Heard the sirens and I live nearby the Grand Prairie airport and supposedly there was a touchdown in that area so I actually had to get my ass in a damn closet.

Schlep

Surprised the turnout was essentially the same in Dallas as Fort Worth. I would've expected something closer to Austin.

Top Bottom