• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

xJeVrXS.png

C8NE1MRUAAEHqhp.jpg:small

C8M-Vr9XsAAMCrM.jpg:small

C8M9qYnXcAUiepe.jpg:small

C8M_DLyWAAA-j7M.jpg:small

C8M2xVlW0AAmtMm.jpg:small

C8M2uNBXoAASIV4.jpg:small

C8M2MtjXUAEL0Qh.jpg:small

giga

Did no one notice the description of the city I have in the OP? It's finally come full circle.

When the writer passed through this country no army had invaded it, yet it looked desolate and forsaken. Not half the land is under cultivation. Fences and buildings are going to decay. In all the little towns the stores and hotels are closed. Travel from morning until night and you will not see a man, save some greyheaded grandfather. Husbands and sons have all gone to the war. Nothing remains to be seen but old women and children, many of them plowing in the field, and all fearful that they shall not be able to harvest the wheat they have planted. Most of their servants had been run off since planting time to Southwestern Georgia for fear they might, of their own accord, run the other way. I presume their crops ere this have all been harvested; doubtless what JOHNSTON left SHERMAN has taken.

I feel for you folks who use I-85 often for commutes. I have lived/gone to school/worked ITP and in the same general area since I've been here and have managed to avoid long interstate/major highway commutes so far.

It will definitely be a factor in where we settle down and buy a home.

zsswimmer

I live in midtown and luckily I don't necessarily have to take 85 to work but I usually take it bqck. It would really suck if still worked at my other job, driving to chamblee and back doing delivery.

How many midtown peeps we got in here?

giga

Can you imagine if 75 collapsed? I kind of wish it would so Cobb would be forced to allow Marta up there.

rambis

Banned
Lol I worked at Leapfrog up until last week. If anybody has ever rode by it, its the large building with the giant green frog overlooking 85 right off Buford/Druid Hills. Glad I got the hell outta that traffic but 285 is another beast all together.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I feel for you folks who use I-85 often for commutes. I have lived/gone to school/worked ITP and in the same general area since I've been here and have managed to avoid long interstate/major highway commutes so far.

It will definitely be a factor in where we settle down and buy a home.

Yeah living and working ITP is the way to go.

As bad as interstate traffic is in the metro area, the local city traffic is among the most navigable of any of any big city I've lived in/drive in once you learn a few major bottlenecks to avoid.

A far cry from say D.C. where you just can't get much of anywhere for 2-3 hour layover during rush hours in interstates or local streets.

I recommend east Atlanta (even into Dekalb a bit). That area is gentrifying super fast as the changes in East Atlanta Village and Kirkwood spread. Those areas are expensive now but you can go a mile or two further and find some cheap places in safe pockets in Eastlake etc. despite the surrouning area being a little ghetto still.

Kaladin

Anyone here ever been to Terminal West? I'm going there for a show for the first time for my birthday in June. What's parking like, what is the best spot to see and hear? ect.

Anyone here ever been to Terminal West? I'm going there for a show for the first time for my birthday in June. What's parking like, what is the best spot to see and hear? ect.
When I went they had paid parking at the venue. There weren't any other places to park, you had some apartments nearby but all the spots are reserved for residents or guests.
Also it's a super small venue so really you'd kinda forced to be up close and personal.
Dope spot tho, I enjoyed the show I went to see there.

Kaladin

When I went they had paid parking at the venue. There weren't any other places to park, you had some apartments nearby but all the spots are reserved for residents or guests.
Also it's a super small venue so really you'd kinda forced to be up close and personal.
Dope spot tho, I enjoyed the show I went to see there.

Nice to have a venue with paid parking, it's what I love about Center Stage. Also dig the intimate vibe. I'm going to see Aaron Watson, a country singer from Texas who always seems to be on the verge of getting bigger....think a younger George Strait.

Yeah living and working ITP is the way to go.

As bad as interstate traffic is in the metro area, the local city traffic is among the most navigable of any of any big city I've lived in/drive in once you learn a few major bottlenecks to avoid.

A far cry from say D.C. where you just can't get much of anywhere for 2-3 hour layover during rush hours in interstates or local streets.

I recommend east Atlanta (even into Dekalb a bit). That area is gentrifying super fast as the changes in East Atlanta Village and Kirkwood spread. Those areas are expensive now but you can go a mile or two further and find some cheap places in safe pockets in Eastlake etc. despite the surrouning area being a little ghetto still.

We're a ways away from buying but for now working and living in NE ATL has been good to us. My barber is down near L5P though, so I know Eastlake and Kirkwood are farther away from work than we want to be.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
We're a ways away from buying but for now working and living in NE ATL has been good to us. My barber is down near L5P though, so I know Eastlake and Kirkwood are farther away from work than we want to be.

Yeah, definitely depends on where your work is.

I work downtown so I'm like 6 miles away. Never takes more than 15-20 minutes even at rush hour (well maybe morning rush hour as I never have to be in before 10ish, but I20 just generally isn't bad other than as you get to the 75/85 ramp) as traffic just isn't bad on that side of town unless there's a big accident or something. My fiance works in west midtown so she has an extra 10-15 minutes, but still not bad.

Also, I just hate the northern metro area (Buckhead and beyond). Just the type of snobby, upper middle class white areas I can't stand even as an upper middle class white male. :D I do miss living in midtown, but needed to rent a house after moving in with my fiance who has large dogs. They're old and we'll probably go petless for a while and buy a condo in midtown if we end up staying here long term. For now east Atlanta works as at least EAV and Kirkwood are nice and the latter is walking distance for us.

RBH

Braves are playing their last exhibition game of the pre-season there today. I wonder how fucked attendance is gonna be.
Luckily, the attendance for today's game is capped at 25,000 people, as it's only open for season ticket holders. They had already set today's game as a "soft opening" for SunTrust Park before the first regular season home game in two weeks.

Yeah, definitely depends on where your work is.

I work downtown so I'm like 6 miles away. Never takes more than 15-20 minutes even at rush hour (well maybe morning rush hour as I never have to be in before 10ish, but I20 just generally isn't bad other than as you get to the 75/85 ramp) as traffic just isn't bad on that side of town unless there's a big accident or something. My fiance works in west midtown so she has an extra 10-15 minutes, but still not bad.

Also, I just hate the northern metro area (Buckhead and beyond). Just the type of snobby, upper middle class white areas I can't stand even as an upper middle class white male. :D I do miss living in midtown, but needed to rent a house after moving in with my fiance who has large dogs. They're old and we'll probably go petless for a while and buy a condo in midtown if we end up staying here long term. For now east Atlanta works as at least EAV and Kirkwood are nice and the latter is walking distance for us.

Totally understand the type you mean, especially as an upper middle class black male. Unfortunately the prices are more of a concern than what the uppity neighbors think.

They can have Buckhead since I'm about 15 minutes from work and there are some hidden neighborhoods with good parks and friendly people just inside and outside the perimeter in the Chamblee/Dunwoody areas we hang.

RBH

040217%20collapse%20002.JPG

The man accused of setting the fire that destroyed part of I-85 talked with companions about smoking crack cocaine before the blaze started, according to a document released Saturday.

The fire collapsed a well-traveled stretch of I-85 — triggering millions of dollars in damage and wreaking havoc on traffic, potentially for months, as the state rebuilds the wrecked section.

Basil Eleby, 39, was charged on Saturday with first-degree arson in connection with the fire. Wearing a navy jumpsuit, flip-flops and handcuffs, Eleby reluctantly shuffled into a courtroom at the Fulton County jail for his first appearance hearing Saturday morning.

Judge James Altman announced the arson charge, which was added on top of an earlier felony charge of criminal damage to property, and set bond at $200,000. The judge said he had considered an amount more “commensurate” with the damage inflicted.

“But in this case,” the judge said, “that would amount to hundreds of millions of dollars.”

Eleby and two others, Barry Thomas and Sophia Brauer, were charged Friday in connection with the fire. (Brauer earlier was identified by a different last name, but she was listed in the document released Saturday as “Brauer.” The discrepancy could not be resolved on Saturday.)

Thomas and Brauer were charged with criminal trespass. Eleby, who has been arrested 19 times since 1995, mostly on drug offenses, according to jail records, is facing far more serious charges.

According to an affidavit by a fire department lieutenant, the suspect admitted to frequenting the area where the fire was set and acknowledged being there on Thursday afternoon at about the time the fire started.

Eleby told investigators from the Atlanta Fire Rescue Department and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that he’d met Thomas and Brauer there at about 4 p.m. and they “discussed smoking crack cocaine together.”

But Eleby ultimately decided “he would consume the drugs by himself” and “left the area before the fire started,” according to the affidavit, which was prepared in support of Eleby’s arrest warrant.

Thomas told a different story.

“Mr. Thomas watched Basil Eleby place a chair on top of a shopping cart, reach under the shopping cart and ignite it,” said the affidavit, which was released on Saturday.

Thomas told authorities he and Brauer then fled in the opposite direction of Eleby, it said.
http://www.ajc.com/news/local/warra...ng-crack-before-blaze/dhJ61rKsrLtTKQnmf3JmYM/

These are homeless people? Any word on the people who left the shit under the highway?

That type of stuff is left under overpasses all over the city. You've never noticed it before? I'm guessing they use overpasses as either easy to reach storage for construction material or they are too cheap to rent a warehouse.

andthebeatgoeson

That type of stuff is left under overpasses all over the city. You've never noticed it before? I'm guessing they use overpasses as either easy to reach storage for construction material or they are too cheap to rent a warehouse.

Then why leave it? We can't depend on homeless people not starting fires to disrupt an important highway. Doesn't the fire department assess this crap about whether it's a fire hazard?

Then why leave it? We can't depend on homeless people not starting fires to disrupt an important highway. Doesn't the fire department assess this crap about whether it's a fire hazard?

How many decades of stuff like this left in overpasses all over the country. This is the first time something disastrous has happened. 20/20-ism doesn't really help.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Looks like the weather is going to get rough today. I have an interview at 1:30, wondering if they are going to cancel it.

Cyanity

Banned
Heads up AtlantaGAF: There's a furry convention coming to your city this weekend. It's called Furry Weekend Atlanta, and is a great chance to people (animal?) watch and get dumb pics with fursuiters.

Ganhyun

seems to be heavier the further south you are right now. So the northern metro suburbs are getting alot of rain but not the winds and stuff.

Brannon

Newspaper says that I-85 will be opened by June 15th.

If they skip all the process of pre-construction that aren't super specifically about safety and ramrod it as priority one, two and three AND don't care about the cost... then maybe?

It's a race.

Kaladin

Newspaper says that I-85 will be opened by June 15th.

If they skip all the process of pre-construction that aren't super specifically about safety and ramrod it as priority one, two and three AND don't care about the cost... then maybe?

It's a race.

Just after the weekend I'll be there for my birthday......perfect?

GulAtiCa

So if anyone here has ever ran/walked the Greenway trail up here in Roswell/Alpharetta. Here is what it looked like the yesterday afternoon after all those days of rain!

I've never ever seen it this bad. Certain parts do get little flooded when it rains heavily and sticks around for an extra day, but like small puddles that cover small sections. Never like this!

So if anyone here has ever ran/walked the Greenway trail up here in Roswell/Alpharetta. Here is what it looked like the yesterday afternoon after all those days of rain!

I've never ever seen it this bad. Certain parts do get little flooded when it rains heavily and sticks around for an extra day, but like small puddles that cover small sections. Never like this!

Were you here in 2009? I wasn't in Roswell, but it was way worse then.

GulAtiCa

Oh yeah, I remember that flooding. Almost forgot about that. Driving home to get home was really hard that night. I didn't even use that trail yet, so didn't even think about it. Damn. 2009 must have made that river bank several feet high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom