• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Holy fuck it sounds like I need to get downtown.

I went to Bridgeport yesterday evening and ran into about a dozen players wandering around.

I have a sister living in Portland. A notification popped up on my Facebook timeline saying that shes interested in going to a Pokemon Go meetup that'll congregate at a Starbucks somewhere in town. It had 2.9k people saying they'll attend. I'm excited to see the turnout because that's pretty bonkers.

Post a link bro

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Hello again Portland GAFers!

My trip is really soon and I wanted to run by a day trip to you. I got a good deal on a car rental for a day, and I was thinking of doing this:

5DnRDRv.jpg

I read online that this is a fun loop to do, would you agree? Is there any hikes, vistas, places to stop at, small detours, etc that you guys would recommend? I love nature and forests, so any farms, vineyards, hikes, etc that you think are worth stopping at, I'd totally love to hear about it.

Thank you again for all your awesome input! :)

Any opinions on tattoo parlors around the area? I'm on the western side near Beaverton but I'm willing to drive a bit if the quality makes it worth it. I've done some cursory browsing and right now I'm thinking of setting up a consultation at Dead Gods Tattoo in Tigard. I'm up for some other suggestions to check out.

My trip is really soon and I wanted to run by a day trip to you. I got a good deal on a car rental for a day, and I was thinking of doing this:

I read online that this is a fun loop to do, would you agree? Is there any hikes, vistas, places to stop at, small detours, etc that you guys would recommend? I love nature and forests, so any farms, vineyards, hikes, etc that you think are worth stopping at, I'd totally love to hear about it.

The loop will take a fair bit of time so I'm not sure how deep you want to get into hiking or whatever but there's plenty of different trails and waterfalls along the northern route and I'm sure there's tons through the whole loop. Multnomah Falls is the probably the most popular and it'll be packed but it's also a fairly quick hike up and down so it may not be bad just to keep time for other stuff as well. I did Munra Pointe recently and that's a fairly difficult hike on a trail that's not maintained and that took 4-5 hours. Just depends on your skill and time you want to take. You might want to stop for a meal at Edgefield in Troutdale.

My father and I enjoy stopping at Calamity Jane's outside of Sandy when he's visiting and we're going out on a drive. I've seen some people not speak highly of it but I think they're pretty decent and they're along your route.

Cat Party

5DnRDRv.jpg

I've never done this as a loop but it looks like fun. Tons of places to stop on the way. I don't know much about hikes, though. These are a few of my favorite things to do:

Multnomah Falls is a necessity. It's just past the edge of the metro area, so try to hit it right when it opens, as it is very busy and the parking lot gets closed in the afternoon.

Hood River is a pretty cool town. Whenever I go, I always stop at Pfriem, which just off I-84 in Hood River's new riverfront area. Good lunch spot.

When you head south of Hood River, you get into apple country. If you're coming soon, apples won't be in season, but there are still several places along the road that grow/sell more than that and will be open. There's a spot called the White House that is neat to walk around for a bit.

Once you've come around Mt. Hood, you could head up to Timberline Lodge, a.k.a., the Overlook from the Shining, which is a bit off the main road.

When you finish the loop in your map, you could definitely head to Edgefield in Troutdale. It is a really unique property. Basically, it's an old poor farm that has been converted into a hotel/winery/brewery/concert venue/restaurant/pub/golf course/movie theater/spa/pool hall with about a dozen separate bars strewn about. Great place to wander about get hammered.

jfoul

5DnRDRv.jpg

Pretty much did this loop about three weeks ago. You can start with Latourell falls, Vista House, Multnomah Falls (I suggest hiking to the top), Bonnerville Dam, and hit some areas around Mt. Hood (Trillium Lake). I can't wait to get back for more exploration.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Any opinions on tattoo parlors around the area? I'm on the western side near Beaverton but I'm willing to drive a bit if the quality makes it worth it. I've done some cursory browsing and right now I'm thinking of setting up a consultation at Dead Gods Tattoo in Tigard. I'm up for some other suggestions to check out.

My husband got an amazing tattoo from Kirsten Holliday at Wonderland Tattoos. She has a very specific style though so it will depend on what's a good fit for the artwork you have in mind.

The loop will take a fair bit of time so I'm not sure how deep you want to get into hiking or whatever but there's plenty of different trails and waterfalls along the northern route and I'm sure there's tons through the whole loop. Multnomah Falls is the probably the most popular and it'll be packed but it's also a fairly quick hike up and down so it may not be bad just to keep time for other stuff as well. I did Munra Pointe recently and that's a fairly difficult hike on a trail that's not maintained and that took 4-5 hours. Just depends on your skill and time you want to take. You might want to stop for a meal at Edgefield in Troutdale.

My father and I enjoy stopping at Calamity Jane's outside of Sandy when he's visiting and we're going out on a drive. I've seen some people not speak highly of it but I think they're pretty decent and they're along your route.

I have all day to do the drive so I don't particularly feel pressed for time. The estimate from PDX to Hood river is an hour....is that seem reasonable to everyone? I mean, that seems really easy to me since that's my commute to work everyday. lol. I also hike often but it would be nice to have a shorter hikes to do in different places. Thanks for the advice. :)

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
I've never done this as a loop but it looks like fun. Tons of places to stop on the way. I don't know much about hikes, though. These are a few of my favorite things to do:

Multnomah Falls is a necessity. It's just past the edge of the metro area, so try to hit it right when it opens, as it is very busy and the parking lot gets closed in the afternoon.

Hood River is a pretty cool town. Whenever I go, I always stop at Pfriem, which just off I-84 in Hood River's new riverfront area. Good lunch spot.

When you head south of Hood River, you get into apple country. If you're coming soon, apples won't be in season, but there are still several places along the road that grow/sell more than that and will be open. There's a spot called the White House that is neat to walk around for a bit.

Once you've come around Mt. Hood, you could head up to Timberline Lodge, a.k.a., the Overlook from the Shining, which is a bit off the main road.

When you finish the loop in your map, you could definitely head to Edgefield in Troutdale. It is a really unique property. Basically, it's an old poor farm that has been converted into a hotel/winery/brewery/concert venue/restaurant/pub/golf course/movie theater/spa/pool hall with about a dozen separate bars strewn about. Great place to wander about get hammered.

Thank you for all your input! Extremely helpful! :) Yeah, I am going soon so sadly it won't be apple season but hopefully I'll still see some orchards!

Pretty much did this loop about three weeks ago. You can start with Latourell falls, Vista House, Multnomah Falls (I suggest hiking to the top), Bonnerville Dam, and hit some areas around Mt. Hood (Trillium Lake). I can't wait to get back for more exploration.

Awesome! Happy to hear you had a good time. :)

My husband got an amazing tattoo from Kirsten Holliday at Wonderland Tattoos. She has a very specific style though so it will depend on what's a good fit for the artwork you have in mind

That's some really quality work there at that studio. I'll keep them in mind when I settle on what I'll get done and if I decide on something more natural that may be the best place for it. Currently I'm thinking I'll get something more mechanical in design so it likely wouldn't fit as well within their work considering the portfolios from each of them.

Dartastic

Anybody here playing Pokemon Go? Haven't had a chance to make my way out of the burbs into the city yet, but I bet it's a pretty crazy scene. I've already ran into a good amount of people wandering around Tualatin and Tigard trying to catch 'em all.

My roommate is into it and so she wanted to catch a bunch when we went to eat and then she drove around a bit trying to find lures and gyms. I started it up so I wasn't just sitting there doing nothing. It's an amusing diversion but I won't be running around all day to find lures and such.

That was out in Beavertonish sort of area. Quite a few lures in the area so people are active.

It is crazy to me. I walked around Division/Clinton area today a couple different times with my daughter so she could catch Pokemon. We were running into groups of 2-5 people every other block. It was hilarious. We all knew what we were doing too and there were many times when we stopped and talked to the other people and had a laugh about how hilarious it all is.

She is loving it of course, and I am just kind of taken aback by the whole phenomenon. I am no stranger to games taking people by storm, I mean who didn't get sucked into Candy Crush or something similar, but to actively see like... EVERYONE I run into in a busy part of the city playing it? It felt crazy. I love it.
There are so many people playing Pokemon Go. I love it. hah. I'll probably be going to one of the bar crawls soon.

Sumidor

That's some really quality work there at that studio. I'll keep them in mind when I settle on what I'll get done and if I decide on something more natural that may be the best place for it. Currently I'm thinking I'll get something more mechanical in design so it likely wouldn't fit as well within their work considering the portfolios from each of them.

You should figure out what you want to get before trying to find an artist. Cause you'll want to find an artist that specializes in the style you want.

There are so many people playing Pokemon Go. I love it. hah. I'll probably be going to one of the bar crawls soon.
I'm planning to go to the one on the 31st at Ground Kontrol.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I'm planning to go to the one on the 31st at Ground Kontrol.

Kinda want to do that one just to help sure up our gym there. And it's genuinely been a fun way to interact with people and notice little bits of the city you might otherwise miss.

That said, if you're not a fan of the game, definitely stay away from Mt. Tabor on Saturday. Big gathering then.

krae_man

Just booked a flight and hotel for Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Retronauts is doing a 10th anniversary panel there.

PRGE GAF meetup is a must.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Wow guys. What can I say. I am so, so, SO jealous you live in this wonderful city!!!

Thank you all for your tips and advice! It helped me out a bunch. I cannot wait to come back!

Just booked a flight and hotel for Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Retronauts is doing a 10th anniversary panel there.

PRGE GAF meetup is a must.

I'll have Sunday off for sure so maybe I'll have to go on that day. Thanks for pointing it out. I don't pay attention to any conventions and such that come through so they're usually already going on when I'm trying to go to work and people are milling about everywhere. I work two blocks from the convention center so I tend to just hear a bit about the events from side conversations.

I'd be curious to see some of the developers speak. I have no attachment to any of the "personalities" except perhaps James Rolfe and even then I'm not sure what would come out of seeing him at a panel or whatever.

I could always do better on my retro knowledge so I'd like to go more for that in mind.

Tarkus

I'm looking into a really good job opportunity in Salem. How's the annual weather in Oregon? How much rain and snow?

I'm looking into a really good job opportunity in Salem. How's the annual weather in Oregon? How much rain and snow?
The Salem and Portland areas are pretty much the same weather-wise. Rarely does it hit 100 degrees in the summer and will spike down to the teens once every so often in the winter. We'll have a random couple days of snow and the area basically shuts down because nobody is ever really ready for it. Our higher elevation areas tend to get a bit more snow and our favorite volcano has snow year round if you're a back country skier. Our temps are pretty stable and mild though, on average mid to high 30s in winter (overcast and gloomy though for a couple months) and 70s to 80s in the summer. We've barely hit the 90s for the first time today in July, but will be cooling down again this weekend. Our rain is more so a fine mist except this last year where we did have more downpours because of El Niño and it doesn't rain as much as it's portrayed. I personally love the weather here; Spring and Fall are the best.

Portland's homeless crisis has now added a new zip code: The Laurelhurst neighborhood in Southeast Portland. Some of the homeless forced to find a new place to live off the Springwater Corridor are setting up tents at one of the city's largest and most beautiful parks. And of course, that's not sitting well with the neighborhood.

http://www.kgw.com/mb/news/local/homeless/laurelhurst-park-seeing-influx-of-homeless-campers/298858576

We really need a long term solution to this problem. It just keeps getting worse and the city is looking really trashed in so many different areas.

sikkinixx

Hey! If my wife and I are taking the rail thing from the airport... What's a good restaurant for dinner that is somewhere relived easy to walk to (pregnant wife doesn't wanna walk too much)? Foolishly I didn't look into it and we'll be there for the evening shortly.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey! If my wife and I are taking the rail thing from the airport... What's a good restaurant for dinner that is somewhere relived easy to walk to (pregnant wife doesn't wanna walk too much)? Foolishly I didn't look into it and we'll be there for the evening shortly.

Where are you heading on the MAX? Downtown? Gresham? Clackamas?

Visiting for a days next month with GF. So far we probably going to the following:

Food:
Pine State Biscuits

Drinks:
Deschutes Brewery

Attractions:
Powell's Books
Japanese Garden
Hiking at Multnomah

Shopping somewhere? since its tax free, mostly clothes

Any other suggestions, thanks!

P.S. I should add we are from LA so looking for options not available here. Like we have a Pok Pok here.

mYm|17|

Visiting for a days next month with GF. So far we probably going to the following:

Food:
Pine State Biscuits

Drinks:
Deschutes Brewery

Attractions:
Powell's Books
Japanese Garden
Hiking at Multnomah

Tasty and Sons! on Williams
Hood River. It's close to Multnomah Falls

Walk down Mississippi/Williams
Walk down Alberta Arts district

Tarkus

I gave a 12 pack of beer to a homeless guy! And some food! Salem is better than Portland to me. Probably moving out here in 3 months.

Cat Party

Food:
Pine State Biscuits

Drinks:
Deschutes Brewery

Attractions:
Powell's Books
Japanese Garden
Hiking at Multnomah

Shopping somewhere? since its tax free, mostly clothes

P.S. I should add we are from LA so looking for options not available here. Like we have a Pok Pok here.

Consider Ecliptic Brewery. The guy who runs it was behind many of the major successes at Deschutes, McMenamins, and Full Sail. He finally opened his own brewpub about 3 years ago.

Tasty and Sons! on Williams
Hood River. It's close to Multnomah Falls

Walk down Mississippi/Williams
Walk down Alberta Arts district

Thanks, we will probably do some urban walking too, love doing that and making random discoveries.

Consider Ecliptic Brewery. The guy who runs it was behind many of the major successes at Deschutes, McMenamins, and Full Sail. He finally opened his own brewpub about 3 years ago.

Ill check it out thanks!

GiJoccin

heading to portland mid january for the first time, and taking my friend out for a nice meal

any recommendations for top restaurants in portland? what sorts of options are there? don't mind tasting menus, looking for interesting and yummy food

Sumidor

Retro Gaming Expo is next week.

So is nobody interested in a meetup?
Have we ever had a meetup? I know it's been talked about numerous times, but I don't remember it ever happening.

heading to portland mid january for the first time, and taking my friend out for a nice meal

any recommendations for top restaurants in portland? what sorts of options are there? don't mind tasting menus, looking for interesting and yummy food

My favorite restaurant is Ox, it's very meat-centric. Also, I recently had a fantastic meal at Pono Farm Soul Kitchen. We did the chef's choice and it was incredibly well priced for how much food we got.

mYm|17|

Looks like i'm moving to Portland beginning of next year from Seattle. Partner got a job with same company in Seattle in Portland, but with a better title. Been to Portland on many occasions and we have friends that live there, but only familiar with the Pearl/ Alberta/ Mississippi.

What neighborhoods would be suited for the below.
- budgeting $400000 - $600000 for a house
- close to restaurants, shops, etc
- walk able to the above
- nearby parks

Well, definitely had an interesting night.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...etectives_investigat_4.html#incart_river_home

I was the one that found the body and called it in. A long night answering questions and standing around waiting for police procedures so I could be released.

Dispatcher requested me to inspect the body to determine if they could still be alive so now I can say I've touched a dead body. Not really something I plan to do again going forward.

FyreWulff

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...etectives_investigat_4.html#incart_river_home

I was the one that found the body and called it in. A long night answering questions and standing around waiting for police procedures so I could be released.

Dispatcher requested me to inspect the body to determine if they could still be alive so now I can say I've touched a dead body. Not really something I plan to do again going forward.

Be sure to talk to someone about it, even if you don't realize it any effect yet.

Now you'll have an interesting story to tell for the rest of your life.

Now you'll have an interesting story to tell for the rest of your life.
Another odd story to add. Having been at one of the large school shootings years ago it's just another odd thing to add to the list of weird occurrences along with other bad luck situations that surround me.

At least now they've announced the details so I don't have to remain silent to the constant deluge of texts and calls I've been receiving from my employees.

brau

Stay safe out there tonight Portland GAF.

I got a sweet message from a cousin of mine asking if me and my family were doing ok because he heard about riots within the protests here.

I hope no one was affected by them and everyone around here is keeping a level head.

:)

jfoul

Our move is coming up in a couple months, and we've narrowed down our search for apartments. We're looking at two apartments in the Tualatin area around here. Any opinions on the area? When we visited back in June, we only drove through Tualatin. A lot of stuff seems to be in walking distance, and Portland isn't too far away. We'll probably buy a house after a couple years of renting, once we get comfortable with our surroundings.

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom