• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Since living in SoCal, the thing I miss the most about Portland is the roads. It was where I grew up and learned to drive, so I know the area better than I know anywhere else. I'm not driving in SoCal yet, but when I do, I think it'll be a lot harder than driving in Portland.

What do you mean? You miss the layout of the streets? The quality of the streets?

As a previous resident of Portland and now SoCal, the majority of the drivers are awful.

brau

In town for a little while here, anyone open to a small meet up this weekend?

If i am not out and about i would be up for meeting up. Today was supposed to be my day off for the rest of the week. but i am at work doing a submission and will be going to grab some lunch in a little while.

What do you mean? You miss the layout of the streets? The quality of the streets?

As a previous resident of Portland and now SoCal, the majority of the drivers are awful.

Yeah, the layout, not the quality of the streets. Portland has plenty of signs telling you where you are, but in San Diego, I always feel lost!

AcridMeat

Banned
If i am not out and about i would be up for meeting up. Today was supposed to be my day off for the rest of the week. but i am at work doing a submission and will be going to grab some lunch in a little while.
We'll have to keep in touch, I'm probably going to end up at Ground Kontrol this weekend.

brau

Hope everyone around here is staying dry and warm. Roads are pretty slick today. I wish i didn't have to go into downtown today. We'll see how the MAX delays.

But i hope no one is affected by power outage.

Doombear

Hey all, meant to mention this in case there are any Ghibli fans like myself.

OMSI is doing a Ghibli Showcase at their Empirical Theater. Plenty of showtimes, this week and next. They have added a few shows next weekend too as a few this weekend are now sold out.

Here is a link to the search page, so it can be a bit wonky. So far my daughter and I will be going to Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. I own all of these, but there is nothing like seeing them in the theater, and she hasn't seen any of the 'older' ones in the theater so we are excited.

Tried to convince her to see Grave of the Fireflies with me... but she knows better.

jfoul

My wife and I are going to be moving to Portland or Seattle around the beginning of 2017. We're probably going to rent for a year or two until we buy a house. Any neighborhood suggestions within the city or suburbs?

I'm from Lake Oswego, which is a suburb, and there are some nice houses in the area. I never lived in the actual city, so I don't really know what that's like. I miss the Portland area a lot, but now my family all is going to be living in the San Diego, California area.

Sumidor

My wife and I are going to be moving to Portland or Seattle around the beginning of 2017. We're probably going to rent for a year or two until we buy a house. Any neighborhood suggestions within the city or suburbs?

Honestly, this is a tough question to answer without any parameters. Like how much money are you looking to spend, where will you be working, what kind of things you like to do, etc.

Personally, i've been living downtown in the Pearl district for almost 10 years, and I love it. It's one of the more expensive areas and considered the "snobby area", but everything is within walking distance (bars, restaurants, my job) for me. I hate driving, so being close enough to work that I can walk is the most important thing to me.

Honestly, this is a tough question to answer without any parameters. Like how much money are you looking to spend, where will you be working, what kind of things you like to do, etc.

Personally, i've been living downtown in the Pearl district for almost 10 years, and I love it. It's one of the more expensive areas and considered the "snobby area", but everything is within walking distance (bars, restaurants, my job) for me. I hate driving, so being close enough to work that I can walk is the most important thing to me.

Yeah but in terms of property to buy there isn't much in Pearl outside of condos. Pearl is awesome if you can afford to rent there but I wouldn't recommend buying a condo. Portland housing is rising hard in recent years. I thought NE area Just North of Broadway had real nice neighborhoods but I would imagine are expensive.

Again without parameters it's impossible to answer the question.

Sumidor

Yeah but in terms of property to buy there isn't much in Pearl outside of condos. Pearl is awesome if you can afford to rent there but I wouldn't recommend buying a condo. Portland housing is rising hard in recent years. I thought NE area Just North of Broadway had real nice neighborhoods but I would imagine are expensive.

Again without parameters it's impossible to answer the question.

Yeah, there's nothing but condos down here and I would only recommend buying down here for certain people. But pretty much anywhere in inner Portland is getting crazy expensive.

Yeah, there's nothing but condos down here and I would only recommend buying down here for certain people. But pretty much anywhere in inner Portland is getting crazy expensive.

Yeah but if you can afford it do it now. Value is only going to continue to go up as more and more people move into the city and spillover from Seattle trickles down to Portland.

jfoul

With this relocation, personally I'm leaning more towards living within the city limits and trying something new. My wife is more set on suburb life, and is looking at the western suburbs (Beaverton Tigard, Tualatin). In either area, I would like to stay in the $1000/month range. I was just looking at Buckman Terrace Apartments on 303 NE 16th Avenue
Portland, OR 97232.

I'll be working at home, sticking with my current job for now. My wife will probably transfer with her current job, until finding something related to her major in the area.

Cross Post
My wife and I will be visiting Seattle & Portland for roughly 3 days each. We're flying into Seattle first, then taking the Coast Starlight train to Portland.

jfoul

What's the ISP situation in Portland? Is it all Comcast, or does the city have it's own Fiber? Seems like some sort of fiber must be in the city already if Google has it listed as an expansion city.

Edit: Recent update 3-4 days a go. Looks promising, and another requirement of mine fulfilled.

It's been obvious for months that Google intends to go ahead with offering fiber-optic service in Portland: The company has begun hiring a local staff, it's won tax breaks for the service and it's been meeting with Portland land-use planners to map out its network.

Since Google announced interest in serving Portland in February 2014, Comcast, Frontier and CenturyLink have all announced plans to offer their own gigabit connections. CenturyLink has been the most aggressive, rolling out fiber-optic service to much of Portland, but the upgrade has been accompanied by a sharp uptick in the number of complaints about the company.

brau

So yesterday. I took family out to eat to a Morrocan place called Marrakesh around the Pearl District. Went there last week and had a really nice experience with my wife. But this time not so much. This is what happened.

FUBLm6N.png

Generally we are quiet, nice and we tip really well to attentive servers. We didn't last in this place more than 10 mins i think. We left after he brought in the water. I have never felt so upset at a restaurant and offended before.

Futureman

that's bizarre... maybe even thread worthy. I've never had a bad experience at a restaurant like that but would immediately leave like you did.

brau

that's bizarre... maybe even thread worthy. I've never had a bad experience at a restaurant like that but would immediately leave like you did.

I thought about making a thread and asking about experiences like this. First time ever for me. My wife and i were mortified since we brought her mom and her two friends here for a nice dinner before they had to leave town this morning. :(

Like i said, service was quite awesome a week ago on Tuesday with a different waiter. Food was pretty good, and the service was attentive and fun. Unlike yesterday. I am quite shaken and upset about the whole thing. Looked at other Yelp reviews, some people do mention a waiter with the same kind of attitude.

That sounds pretty bad. I've never had that happen in a restaurant. In general, I'm surprised at just how good the quality of the service, atmosphere, and food is in most restaurants.

I've heard of that restaurant. It reminded me of a Peruvian restaurant called Andina that I went to for my sister's high school graduation and my grandparents were there from the east coast. It's not really my kind of food, but it was good for the family.

My favorite restaurants in PDX were probably Mediterranean and Indian. Also Pizza Schmizza was good.

In So Cal there are just so many Mexican places, it's pretty crazy.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous

Maybe look into this area of NW Portland.

The apartments there range from $900-1200, walking distance to the grocery store, shops, restaurants. Public transit. About a mile from the MAX station, which you can take to downtown, or beaverton, instead of driving.

So yesterday. I took family out to eat to a Morrocan place called Marrakesh around the Pearl District. Went there last week and had a really nice experience with my wife. But this time not so much. This is what happened.

Generally we are quiet, nice and we tip really well to attentive servers. We didn't last in this place more than 10 mins i think. We left after he brought in the water. I have never felt so upset at a restaurant and offended before.

That's shitty. My wife and I went to Marrakesh for Valentine's Day 3 years ago and the waitstaff couldn't have been nicer. Hopefully they get rid of that guy; he doesn't sound like he's cut out for being a waiter.

jfoul

Maybe look into this area of NW Portland.

The apartments there range from $900-1200, walking distance to the grocery store, shops, restaurants. Public transit. About a mile from the MAX station, which you can take to downtown, or beaverton, instead of driving.

Thanks, I probably wouldn't have found this during our visit. This seems like a really nice area outside of the city that has everything I want.

We've recently decided on Portland over Seattle, so now we can focus on one area during our visit in June. If everything goes as planned, we'll be moving in January.

Does it bug anybody else when someone pronounces Oregon as Ore-gone? I thought it was an east coast thing, but last week a girl in a medical clinic pronounced it that way. I'm in California, so it borders with the state to the north and she still doesn't know how to say it right?

Cat Party

Does it bug anybody else when someone pronounces Oregon as Ore-gone? I thought it was an east coast thing, but last week a girl in a medical clinic pronounced it that way. I'm in California, so it borders with the state to the north and she still doesn't know how to say it right?
Oregon, home of the "Willamette, dammit," and Est-a-CAY-da, does not get to complain about mispronouncing things ;P

Thanks, I probably wouldn't have found this during our visit. This seems like a really nice area outside of the city that has everything I want.

We've recently decided on Portland over Seattle, so now we can focus on one area during our visit in June. If everything goes as planned, we'll be moving in January.

That's my neighborhood. The one word of warning is that if you're not into driving into Portland proper (or taking the train) there's not a lot of neat stores/restaurants in the western suburbs. It can be frustrating when you want something good to eat but don't have the time or patience to drive into the city. For some people it's not a big issue but figured I'd still give you a heads up. I still haven't found an actual good breakfast place that doesn't require going into the actual city.

Oregon, home of the "Willamette, dammit," and Est-a-CAY-da, does not get to complain about mispronouncing things ;P

Clatskanie is the one I still don't know if I'm saying right. It was one of those that I said wrong at a job where we dealt with city names constantly so my coworkers laughed at my wrong way of saying it. Then by discussing it and saying it both my wrong way and the correct way while working at that job I can no longer remember what's right.

I could see it but then again I've found that Oregonians have stupid pronunciations for a lot of things, so they can't complain

jfoul

That's my neighborhood. The one word of warning is that if you're not into driving into Portland proper (or taking the train) there's not a lot of neat stores/restaurants in the western suburbs. It can be frustrating when you want something good to eat but don't have the time or patience to drive into the city. For some people it's not a big issue but figured I'd still give you a heads up. I still haven't found an actual good breakfast place that doesn't require going into the actual city.

That'll be a non issue for us, we prepare everything we eat, and very rarely eat at restaurants. I just want to be decently close to Portland, or within the city limits. I'll be relying mostly on bicycle and public transit to get around (I prefer rail over bus).

Do most of the the rail & bus routes allow bicycles on board?

That'll be a non issue for us, we prepare everything we eat, and very rarely eat at restaurants. I just want to be decently close to Portland, or within the city limits. I'll be relying mostly on bicycle and public transit to get around (I prefer rail over bus).

Do most of the the rail & bus routes allow bicycles on board?

If you're talking about that place in NW it's not in city limits, I think technically it's Beaverton. I'm pretty sure the east side of Portland is better for biking, in some areas.

About bikes on board:

Bringing your bike on the bus or train
You can bring a standard-size bike on the bus, MAX, WES or Streetcar, but only if there's room in one of the designated bike spaces. They fill up quickly at rush hour and during events (such as Blazer games), so plan ahead.

If you're talking about that place in NW it's not in city limits, I think technically it's Beaverton. I'm pretty sure the east side of Portland is better for biking, in some areas.

About bikes on board:

It's not Beaverton but I tend to call it that since people have a tough time imagining where I'm talking about if I call it NW Portland since they picture areas more like 23rd St.

But it's a Portland address and not Beaverton. At least where I am. I'm not at the apartments that the map link went to but I'm very close by. Likely it's unincorporated out that way so it goes to Portland as the city.

It was even more confusing giving my previous address that was in Portland but it was in a wedge of unincorporated residential out between Beaverton and Tigard (Progress Ridge area with Cinetopia and Big Al's but on the south side of Barrows). Nobody would ever call that area Portland but the silly city limits caused that.

Are you looking outside of the city for a reason? What's your price range?

jfoul

Are you looking outside of the city for a reason? What's your price range?

I've been living in the NE Ohio suburbs for awhile now, so city living is alluring. I'm fine with either a city neighborhood, or a close suburb if it's conveniently located by the rail system. As for rent, we would like to keep it around $1,000 a month. I'm easy to please. Just give me easy access to the city & parks, good internet (Google Fiber roll out pls), and a nice iMax theater.

brau

Since Jfoul has been inquiring about places to live.

Is Gresham really that bad?

I found this place.

It looks nice, and with a little girl incoming we would like a bit more space, some parks around and overall a safe neighborhood with potentially good schools. But after looking into safety and Gresham it seems there is a high crime rate...

We are also considering buying a home. But i would need to look more into it.

This Woodlawn area is really nice when we've cruised around there.

4saGs7R.png

Any recommendations? Right now we live way north of Portland.

I found this place.

It looks nice, and with a little girl incoming we would like a bit more space, some parks around and overall a safe neighborhood with potentially good schools. But after looking into safety and Gresham it seems there is a high crime rate...

I wouldn't live in pretty much any of the apartments along Powell. Especially the ones just a few blocks east of that one. There are still nice places in Gresham, but I'd avoid Powell and definitely avoid the Rockwood area.

For Northeast and North Portland it gets really tricky because things can swing pretty dramatically from block to block. Woodlawn is on the upswing so it's not a bad time to move there before it gets too expensive.

brau

I wouldn't live in pretty much any of the apartments along Powell. Especially the ones just a few blocks east of that one. There are still nice places in Gresham, but I'd avoid Powell and definitely avoid the Rockwood area.

For Northeast and North Portland it gets really tricky because things can swing pretty dramatically from block to block. Woodlawn is on the upswing so it's not a bad time to move there before it gets too expensive.

Yea.. Woodlawn is on the rise and its a nice area that will be worth much more in a few years. Not that its any cheaper right now.

Any other areas tho?

I did some google navigating of the area in Gresham and it does look pretty spotty. Are there any particular reasons to avoid those areas? i guess i read too much gang related violence and what not? with that in mind that place is out of the question now.

Yea.. Woodlawn is on the rise and its a nice area that will be worth much more in a few years. Not that its any cheaper right now.

Any other areas tho?

I did some google navigating of the area in Gresham and it does look pretty spotty. Are there any particular reasons to avoid those areas? i guess i read too much gang related violence and what not? with that in mind that place is out of the question now.

Depending on how far you want to commute, homes in Sandy are relatively inexpensive. They also have fiber internet, if that matters to you. Out of county, though. Honestly, it's gotten so expensive in Portland it's hard to recommend anything.

brau

Depending on how far you want to commute, homes in Sandy are relatively inexpensive. They also have fiber internet, if that matters to you. Out of county, though. Honestly, it's gotten so expensive in Portland it's hard to recommend anything.

Does the MAX or the bus reach Sandy? seems pretty far. I work downtown, and i currently live all the way north, next to the Columbia Bridge. By Delta Park. Since i hop on the max i can be at work in 30 mins and not worry about it. Its super nice.

I do know my wife will prefer more outdoor and secluded than city like. I'll check housing there.

Fiber would be awesome.

Does the MAX or the bus reach Sandy? seems pretty far. I work downtown, and i currently live all the way north, next to the Columbia Bridge. By Delta Park. Since i hop on the max i can be at work in 30 mins and not worry about it. Its super nice.

I do know my wife will prefer more outdoor and secluded than city like. I'll check housing there.

Fiber would be awesome.

I don't believe the buses run out there, but I don't know. Lightrail doesn't, for sure. Speaking of Woodlawn: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/04/teenage_girl_riding_trimet_bus.html

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Hi all!

I'm going to be visiting Portland in July sometime and I am completely clueless about where to go, what to see, what to eat, etc! I would really love to hear your suggestions. I will probably have only a weekend to see/do things. Will I need a rental car/what's public transport like? Is there Uber? What neighborhood would be good to look for an airbnb? Any good parks/places to see nature? Places to rent bikes (I hear the bike riding there is great!)?

I am eager to hear all your thoughts! I realize I could googe it but I am more interested in hearing what locals have to say. Thank you in advance! :)

I've been living in the NE Ohio suburbs for awhile now, so city living is alluring. I'm fine with either a city neighborhood, or a close suburb if it's conveniently located by the rail system. As for rent, we would like to keep it around $1,000 a month. I'm easy to please. Just give me easy access to the city & parks, good internet (Google Fiber roll out pls), and a nice iMax theater.

Sacrifice space and quality to be in the inner city, it's worth it. $1,000 is on the cheap side but a studio or low-end one bedroom is doable in certain neighborhoods I would think.

brau

I don't believe the buses run out there, but I don't know. Lightrail doesn't, for sure. Speaking of Woodlawn: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/04/teenage_girl_riding_trimet_bus.html

Sheesh... No where is safe haha.

Hi all!

I'm going to be visiting Portland in July sometime and I am completely clueless about where to go, what to see, what to eat, etc! I would really love to hear your suggestions. I will probably have only a weekend to see/do things. Will I need a rental car/what's public transport like? Is there Uber? What neighborhood would be good to look for an airbnb? Any good parks/places to see nature? Places to rent bikes (I hear the bike riding there is great!)?

I am eager to hear all your thoughts! I realize I could googe it but I am more interested in hearing what locals have to say. Thank you in advance! :)

You gotta go try the wings at "Fire on the Mountain Wings" if you like wings. Some of the best i've ever had.

Other places to see, the Japanese gardens are really nice.

The Max can take you pretty much everywhere around downtown imo. That is what i take to go to work and most places, unless i am with my wife and we drive. Which is also a good option but can get expensive since you have to pay to park everywhere.

There are Ubers yep.

Other cool places with nature... around Pittock Mansion is really nice. You can actually park south of the acres and take a hike up to the mansion and its pretty awesome. If you go up there you can visit the Skyline Burgers. Really good burgers and milkshakes.

A bit outside of Portland you can go to Mount Hood for more nice trails for hiking.

If you are coming in July you can probably go on a boat on the Columbia or the Willamette river...and i would suggest biking across some of the bridges and a long the waterfront downtown. Its super nice. actually... there are some dates in summer where they close a big area of Portland for people to bike around. Its pretty awesome, so maybe you'll be here when that happens.

People will recommend Voodoo Donuts. I guess its a fun experience... i like Blue Star better or some of the other local shops.

I can probably keep going, but i also know more people here can recommend probably a bunch of cool places that i yet to go do or try.

Cat Party

I found this place.

We are also considering buying a home. But i would need to look more into it.

This Woodlawn area is really nice when we've cruised around there.

4saGs7R.png

Any recommendations? Right now we live way north of Portland.

I live in Gresham. It's fine. You do need to steer clear of a few neighborhoods, particularly Rockwood (which borders Portland). It's a big city by Oregon standards, and it tends to get nicer toward the east.

brau

I live in Gresham. It's fine. You do need to steer clear of a few neighborhoods, particularly Rockwood (which borders Portland). It's a big city by Oregon standards, and it tends to get nicer toward the east.

Oh nice. Any neighborhood recommendations?

Hi all!

Public transport is really good throughout the city, but it can become an issue if you want to go out into the suburbs or do some hiking out in the Columbia Gorge (for example). If you're staying in Portland proper, you should be fine with public transit / renting a bike. We have Uber and Lyft as well, along with taxis, so your transportation needs should be easily met.

As far as what to do... well, what kind of stuff are you into? I always recommend Powell's City of Books, because it's awesome. Beyond that, there's lots of cool stuff, but it depends if you're more into walking along interesting shopping neighborhoods, going to attractions like the Zoo or OMSI (a cool science museum aimed more towards the youth), outdoor stuff like Multnomah Falls, or just kind of wandering around the city (or biking as you mentioned)? As far as food, are you looking for world-class (expensive) restaurants like Beast or Le Pigeon, or more affordable brewpubs (of which we have a lot)? If you're into old school arcade gaming, you might check out Ground Kontrol, an arcade that serves beer and liquor.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Sheesh... No where is safe haha.

You gotta go try the wings at "Fire on the Mountain Wings" if you like wings. Some of the best i've ever had.

Other places to see, the Japanese gardens are really nice.

The Max can take you pretty much everywhere around downtown imo. That is what i take to go to work and most places, unless i am with my wife and we drive. Which is also a good option but can get expensive since you have to pay to park everywhere.

There are Ubers yep.

Other cool places with nature... around Pittock Mansion is really nice. You can actually park south of the acres and take a hike up to the mansion and its pretty awesome. If you go up there you can visit the Skyline Burgers. Really good burgers and milkshakes.

A bit outside of Portland you can go to Mount Hood for more nice trails for hiking.

If you are coming in July you can probably go on a boat on the Columbia or the Willamette river...and i would suggest biking across some of the bridges and a long the waterfront downtown. Its super nice. actually... there are some dates in summer where they close a big area of Portland for people to bike around. Its pretty awesome, so maybe you'll be here when that happens.

People will recommend Voodoo Donuts. I guess its a fun experience... i like Blue Star better or some of the other local shops.

I can probably keep going, but i also know more people here can recommend probably a bunch of cool places that i yet to go do or try.

Thank you so much for your input! We're going that weekend of the 23rd, my husband is getting a tattoo done in Portland by this very specific tattoo artist, which basically means I'll be on my own for most of the day exploring a city I have zero knowledge on.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Public transport is really good throughout the city, but it can become an issue if you want to go out into the suburbs or do some hiking out in the Columbia Gorge (for example). If you're staying in Portland proper, you should be fine with public transit / renting a bike. We have Uber and Lyft as well, along with taxis, so your transportation needs should be easily met.

As far as what to do... well, what kind of stuff are you into? I always recommend Powell's City of Books, because it's awesome. Beyond that, there's lots of cool stuff, but it depends if you're more into walking along interesting shopping neighborhoods, going to attractions like the Zoo or OMSI (a cool science museum aimed more towards the youth), outdoor stuff like Multnomah Falls, or just kind of wandering around the city (or biking as you mentioned)? As far as food, are you looking for world-class (expensive) restaurants like Beast or Le Pigeon, or more affordable brewpubs (of which we have a lot)? If you're into old school arcade gaming, you might check out Ground Kontrol, an arcade that serves beer and liquor.

Ty so much for you input! The tattoo shop my husband is headed to is on SE 52nd Ave in Woodstock.The problem is I know so very little about Portland that I am not sure where the line is for Portland proper and Portland suburbs lie. Coming from LA where everything is an urban sprawl I am probably overthinking it since everything is so car based here.

I do love books! I also really like just exploring streets, window shopping, seeing the neighborhoods. I love bike riding so I figure together those two would be a good fit. As far as eateries, I'm not a picky eater, but I do prefer ore laid back, hole-in-the-wall places as opposed to fancy (experiences) ones. Also yes, Arcade gaming is great! I'll look the place up on yelp!

Ty so much for you input! The tattoo shop my husband is headed to is on SE 52nd Ave in Woodstock.The problem is I know so very little about Portland that I am not sure where the line is for Portland proper and Portland suburbs lie. Coming from LA where everything is an urban sprawl I am probably overthinking it since everything is so car based here.

I do love books! I also really like just exploring streets, window shopping, seeing the neighborhoods. I love bike riding so I figure together those two would be a good fit. As far as eateries, I'm not a picky eater, but I do prefer ore laid back, hole-in-the-wall places as opposed to fancy (experiences) ones. Also yes, Arcade gaming is great! I'll look the place up on yelp!

I'm not real familiar with SE 52nd and Woodstock, but it doesn't seem like there's a huge amount to do over there. If you can abandon your husband there for a bit, you could visit some other neighborhoods in SE; Division between 28th and 39th (lots of little eateries, and there's some stuff on Clinton street 2 blocks South as well), and Hawthorne between 33rd and 45th (interesting shops) are great for walking around. If you rent a bike, you could head up to Mt. Tabor and bike around, or head down Woodstock towards Reed College, which doesn't have a lot of commercial establishments, but is in a lovely residential neighborhood.

If you can spend a day downtown, I'd recommend going to Powell's, heading West up Burnside to NW 21st and NW 23rd Avenues (starting from Burnside and heading North), which have a lot of shopping and restaurants, finding a place to eat either there or in the Pearl District (the Deschutes brewpub is real close to Powell's and it's very good), and then heading to Ground Kontrol for some after-dinner drinking and games. I'm also a fan of North Portland's Mississippi neighborhood (between Fremont and Skidmore), but that might be a bit out of your way. Still, another great place for eating/shopping and walking around.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not real familiar with SE 52nd and Woodstock, but it doesn't seem like there's a huge amount to do over there. If you can abandon your husband there for a bit, you could visit some other neighborhoods in SE; Division between 28th and 39th (lots of little eateries, and there's some stuff on Clinton street 2 blocks South as well), and Hawthorne between 33rd and 45th (interesting shops) are great for walking around. If you rent a bike, you could head up to Mt. Tabor and bike around, or head down Woodstock towards Reed College, which doesn't have a lot of commercial establishments, but is in a lovely residential neighborhood.

If you can spend a day downtown, I'd recommend going to Powell's, heading West up Burnside to NW 21st and NW 23rd Avenues (starting from Burnside and heading North), which have a lot of shopping and restaurants, finding a place to eat either there or in the Pearl District (the Deschutes brewpub is real close to Powell's and it's very good), and then heading to Ground Kontrol for some after-dinner drinking and games. I'm also a fan of North Portland's Mississippi neighborhood (between Fremont and Skidmore), but that might be a bit out of your way. Still, another great place for eating/shopping and walking around.

Thank you again so much for your input! Yeah, I am definitely not going to sit around in a tattoo parlor all day and wait. I think renting a bike and just exploring the city will be a great way of spending the time. :)

Has anyone here tried Pok Pok? I hear great things about it.

Top Bottom