• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

butzopower

proud of his butz
Gonna be coming up July 25th and staying until the 28th. Haven't gotten an AirBnB yet, any part of the city people suggest? We're going to see Jamie XX at the Wonder Ballroom the night we get in which should be awesome. I'll scour through this thread / OP, but what are some suggestions of some good local fare be it beer or food or entertainment, something distinctively Portland outside of Voodoo Donuts.

Sumidor

Random question, but does anyone know of any restaurants that serve Beef Wellington? I heard Ringside does, but it's not on their menu. I know East Burn has it, but I'm not a huge fan of that place.

Cat Party

Any one here interested in two tickets to PAX Prime on Sunday for face value? Thought I'd see if anyone here was interested. PM me.

How much are they? I've never been to a convention.

Also, are you guys getting smoke from all the fires? It's been smoky as hell here for two days and I'm like, 50 miles south of the Cougar Creek fire.

Down here in Corvallis, we're getting lots of smoke from the wildfires.

Cat Party

How much are they? I've never been to a convention.

Also, are you guys getting smoke from all the fires? It's been smoky as hell here for two days and I'm like, 50 miles south of the Cougar Creek fire.
I think they are $35 each. I don't have the tickets in front of me.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have some recommendations for bar with a decent dance floor in Downtown? Holocene seems pretty legit, but I'm trying to avoid use of a cab/uber/whatever.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Looking for a good place to eat lunch near the airport. We've got a car and like 2 hours to kill.

Everywhere is near the airport in Portland basically!

The airport actually offers some great food opetions like Pok Pok and Bunk Sandwiches.

If you are still looking (this is way past 2 hours since you posted this) I can come up with outside options.

xxracerxx

Portland just got Amazon Prime Now.

One hour delivery.

Here is the list of zip codes:
97005, 97075, 97076, 97077, 97201, 97202, 97203, 97204, 97205, 97207, 97208, 97209, 97210, 97211, 97212, 97213, 97214, 97215, 97217, 97218, 97219, 97221, 97225, 97227, 97228, 97229, 97232, 97238, 97239, 97240, 97242, 97258, 97280, 97282, 97283, 97290, 97291, 97293, 97296, 97298.

Greetings Portland-Gaf!!!

I'm visiting you guys n gals in October for three nights. I never been to portland before so will public transportation be sufficient to going around town and exploring the area?

I'm also looking for a good hotel $150~ a night kind of thing. Any particular area you suggest or hotel would??

Thanks a bunch

brau

Portland just got Amazon Prime Now.

One hour delivery.

Here is the list of zip codes:
97005, 97075, 97076, 97077, 97201, 97202, 97203, 97204, 97205, 97207, 97208, 97209, 97210, 97211, 97212, 97213, 97214, 97215, 97217, 97218, 97219, 97221, 97225, 97227, 97228, 97229, 97232, 97238, 97239, 97240, 97242, 97258, 97280, 97282, 97283, 97290, 97291, 97293, 97296, 97298.

HECK YEA!!!!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Greetings Portland-Gaf!!!

I'm visiting you guys n gals in October for three nights. I never been to portland before so will public transportation be sufficient to going around town and exploring the area?

I'm also looking for a good hotel $150~ a night kind of thing. Any particular area you suggest or hotel would??

Thanks a bunch

Public transit works really well. I get around almost entirely on that + walking.

Not sure about hotel options, though. I'd veer towards staying out of downtown and picking somewhere near a good MAX/bus line, likely to be cheaper. (The Lloyd district has a lot of hotel options, may be a cheap enough one there.)

Still a ways away from Portland, but In-N-Out officially opened up it's first location in OR out in Medford today. Let's cross our fingers that they expand quickly further north.

brau

Still a ways away from Portland, but In-N-Out officially opened up it's first location in OR out in Medford today. Let's cross our fingers that they expand quickly further north.

oh nice! this would be great.

I did go over the weekend to a great burger place. Skyline Restaurant.

I had an amazing burger there and a milkshake. Best ones i have found. Not super greasy or fatty. Just good flavor on the meat. Good stuff! I definitely recommend it.

Hey there. I moved to So Cal almost two years ago, but I still have strong feelings for Portland.

If anyone's into retro gaming there's this convention coming up in a few weeks: http://www.retrogamingexpo.com/

I went two years ago and it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it this year, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

AcridMeat

Banned
Anything fun/cheap to do tomorrow? Thinking of hitting ground kontrol for at least a little bit. Was looking at the cheaper museum options but nothing caught my eye.

brau

Anything fun/cheap to do tomorrow? Thinking of hitting ground kontrol for at least a little bit. Was looking at the cheaper museum options but nothing caught my eye.

Its a foggy one today.

Did you figure out what to do?

I have not been to that arcade yet. But i do work close by.

AcridMeat

Banned
Its a foggy one today.

Did you figure out what to do?

I have not been to that arcade yet. But i do work close by.
Amazing weather today. Ended up at GK to start, realized I spent most of my ones on the max earlier this week, went further downtown, biked with my sister from her work waterside to the new bridge, kept riding /found a place to eat and then stopped at another place for a beer.

It's been a long time since I've ridden a bike that much, my legs are tired.

brau

Amazing weather today. Ended up at GK to start, realized I spent most of my ones on the max earlier this week, went further downtown, biked with my sister from her work waterside to the new bridge, kept riding /found a place to eat and then stopped at another place for a beer.

It's been a long time since I've ridden a bike that much, my legs are tired.

You didn't get to go to the opening of the bridge?

I think it was 3 weekends ago. They closed like 12 miles of streets, around the neighborhood of the bridge. It was awesome.

Also. Really nice bridge.

Sounds like you had a great one! I am just about to leave work. lol.

I'm visiting Portland for the next week, flying there tomorrow. Is there anything going on in town I should know about from 11/7 to 11/15?

This thread is pretty quiet compared to the Seattle thread, even though Portland is a very nice city too.

brau

I'm visiting Portland for the next week, flying there tomorrow. Is there anything going on in town I should know about from 11/7 to 11/15?

This thread is pretty quiet compared to the Seattle thread, even though Portland is a very nice city too.

Did you end up doing anything nice?

I got to visit "The Peoples Pig" and had an excellent dinner there. Got the sampler to share and it was just delightful. The place is pretty small tho, but we were comfortable and had a great time. The chicken they make there is just too good to be true.

It would be nice to get more people in here to plan something tho.

Did you end up doing anything nice?

I got to visit "The Peoples Pig" and had an excellent dinner there. Got the sampler to share and it was just delightful. The place is pretty small tho, but we were comfortable and had a great time. The chicken they make there is just too good to be true.

It would be nice to get more people in here to plan something tho.

I've just been going through some of my old stuff and helping set up for a garage sale. My dad is moving to Southern California.

That restaurant sounds pretty good. Kind of far out for me though.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
e1i9YI3.jpg

It's too late, too goddamn late.

Dartastic

My basement keeps flooding, and the landlord insists it's just a "wet basement".
Mine has been flooding too. Luckily this basement is my apartment, and it's so obvious that they have to do something about it. I've managed to get my shit together enough so that nothing really gets damaged, but it's still a major pain in the ass.

Being from LA, I'm used to flooding when it rains because it hardly ever rains.

It seems weird that it floods so much here considering how much it rains.

xxracerxx

Being from LA, I'm used to flooding when it rains because it hardly ever rains.

It seems weird that it floods so much here considering how much it rains.

It doesn't usually rain this much in this little time, the system cannot handle the downpour.

brau

I would've thought PDX was ready for the rain, but i guess it can only handle the light rain we had until now. What kills me is how slow the MAX moves. My 40 min commute turns into over an hour. :(

Stay dry you guys.

Also.. the temp today. 60 hahaha i felt silly wearing a scarf this morning.

EDIT: also... is it normal for people to not clear up all the leafs? There is tons of them and i see them clogging the drains haha.

A fucking Tornado hit Battle Ground? Lordy.

It didn't occur to me at work tonight how odd a tornado in Battle Ground was while creating the property damage claim. But yeah, that's pretty weird. Many years back when I lived in Springfield I remember a tornado touching down doing some light damage across a few properties and that blew my mind at the time.

I like rain but I'm getting a little tired of it now.

Any of you have any strong recommendations for movers? My friend and I are going to be roommates again and she's made an appointment with some random movers but if there's someone that is professional and good quality I wouldn't mind a suggestion. Just a short job moving her stuff about five miles.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
A tornado touched down in Stayton just a few years back.. fucked up my brothers girls brothers store pretty good.. .so it's not unheard of to have them hit.

We just get the more sudden rush of a tornado, instead of the long build-up long running ones they get in the plains.. but you really just need the high pressure/low pressure temp diff to make it happen.

Since living in SoCal, the thing I miss the most about Portland is the roads. It was where I grew up and learned to drive, so I know the area better than I know anywhere else. I'm not driving in SoCal yet, but when I do, I think it'll be a lot harder than driving in Portland.

Top Bottom