• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

emziuRr.jpg

Description of the city (article is a little old, but accurate):

As seen from Stone Mountain, a vast elevation of granite sixteen miles northeast, Atlanta appears situated upon a large plain, but as the observer descends from this giddy height and travels in the direction of either point of the compass, his progress is obstructed by sharp "pitches" and narrow "ravines," through many of which flow small rivulets. To such an extent is this the character of the surface, that scarcely an acre of level ground can be found in the limits of the city.

The soil, where there is any, is light and sandy, with a substratum of red clay. Other portions are gravelly and sterile. The most of the country is still covered with a heavy growth of timber. This description holds good until you pass a few miles north of Marietta, twenty-one miles north of Atlanta, including Dallas, lying a little northwest of the Alatoona Mountains. North and parallel runs the Ettawa River. From there to Dalton the surface is less broken, and constitutes the best grain and grazing portion of Georgia. Cass County is said to be the wealthiest in the State.

When the writer passed through this country no army had invaded it, yet it looked desolate and forsaken. Not half the land is under cultivation. Fences and buildings are going to decay. In all the little towns the stores and hotels are closed. Travel from morning until night and you will not see a man, save some greyheaded grandfather. Husbands and sons have all gone to the war. Nothing remains to be seen but old women and children, many of them plowing in the field, and all fearful that they shall not be able to harvest the wheat they have planted. Most of their servants had been run off since planting time to Southwestern Georgia for fear they might, of their own accord, run the other way. I presume their crops ere this have all been harvested; doubtless what JOHNSTON left SHERMAN has taken.

The city is laid out in a circle, two miles in diameter, in the centre of which is the passenger depot, from which radiate railroads to every quarter of the Confederacy. On the north side of the depot is a park, inclosed and ornamented with trees and flowering shrubs. Opposite the three vacant sides are situated the three principal hotels. In the business portion of the city are many fine blocks of buildings. Before the war these were mostly filled with consignments of goods from the large cities of the North and Northwest for the supply of the cotton regions. Now the city is one vast Government storehouse. Here are located the machine shops of the principal railroads; the most extensive rolling mill in the South foundries, pistol and tent factories, &c., &c. In addition, the Government have works for casting shot and shell, making gun carriages, cartridges, caps, shoes, clothing, &c., &c.

Encircling the city is a line of rifle-pits nine miles in length and about thirty inches high, upon slight eminences. At nearly regular intervals there are planted twelve or fourteen batteries, said to be mounted with condemned guns! The fortifications were constructed as a defence from raids, and for the year past have been manned with a small force. It is not generally supposed that JOHNSTON will attempt to make a stand in the city.

(more at link)

Historical Significance:
- Outkast
- MLK / Civil Rights Movement
- 1996 Olympics
- Coke
- Gone with the Wind
- Clermont Lounge

BOe6x6T.jpg

- Buckhead
- Cabbagetown
- Candler Park
- Castleberry Hill
- East Point
- College Park
- Decatur
- Downtown
- East Atlanta
- Grant Park
- Inman Park
- Kirkwood
- Edgewood
- Little Five
- Midtown
- O4W
- Poncey Highland
- Reynoldstown
- Virginia Highland
- Westside

1eGlV7t.jpg

- ATLtoDo
- Atlanta Wikitravel
- Center for Puppetry Arts
- Fox Theatre
- Hiking and Running Trails
- Georgia Aquarium
- Atlanta Opera
- Atlanta Symphony
- Shakespeare Tavern
- Atlanta Ballet
- Topgolf
- Clermont Lounge

MzyhL7n.jpg

Lists:
- Top 38 — Atlanta Eater
- Best 50 — Atlanta Magazine
- Zagat
- Thrillist
- Yelp
- OpenTable

Pizza:
- Ammazza
- Antico
- Varuni Napoli
- Fellini's
- Varasano's
- O4W Pizza

Burgers:
- Argosy
- Holeman and Finch
- Grindhouse
- Farm Burger
- Yeah! Burger
- Vortex
- Ann's Snack Bar
- Bocado

BBQ:
- Fox Bros
- Heirloom BBQ
- Community Q
- Fat Matt's
- This Is It
- Bone Lick BBQ

WVd7sBn.jpg

EAV
- Argosy
- Octopus Bar (smoking)
- The Earl
- Graveyard Tavern

Decatur
- Brick Store Pub
- Kimball House
- Leon's Full Service
- Pinewood
- The Cask Room

Midtown
- The Independent
- Proof & Provision
- Cypress Street Pint and Plate
- The Lawrence
- Ecco
- Grain
- Fado

Westside
- Little Trouble
- Ormsby's

O4W
- Ladybird
- Bantam Pub
- Bitters

Virginia Highland
- Manuel's Tavern
- The Local
- Bookhouse Pub

Edgewood
- Sound Table
- Sister Louisa’s Church of the Living Room & Ping Pong Emporium
- Mother
- Joystick
- Noni's

Cabbagetown
- 97 Estoria (smoking at night)

Little Five
- The Porter
- Wrecking Bar

Buckhead
- Prohibition
- Fado

Inman Park
- Barcelona Wine Bar
- Krog Bar

swZIr9y.jpg

- Braves (MLB)
- Falcons (NFL)
- Hawks (NBA)
- Yellow Jackets (NCAA)
- United FC (MLS)
- Panthers (NCAA)

NjrIlOU.jpg

- World of Coke
- CNN Center
- Fernbank
- Jimmy Carter Library
- The High
- MODA
- MOCA
- Monetary Museum
- Center for Civil and Human Rights
- MLK Jr. Historic Site
- College Football Hall of Fame

uGtLP3B.jpg

- Centennial Park
- Piedmont Park
- Grant Park
- Stone Mountain
- Botanical Gardens
- Lullwater Park
- Oakland Cemetary
- Sweetwater Creek

5YdmFa1.jpg

- Sweetwater
- Monday Night Brewing
- Red Brick
- Three Taverns
- Wild Heaven
- Red Hare
- Orpheus

veAG8Sn.jpg

- Ponce City Market
- Krog Street Market
- Atlantic Station
- Lenox
- Perimeter
- Phipps Plaza
- Westside Provisions

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I always thought atlanta was a bigger city than charlotte.

Apparently by population it's ranked 39 and charlotte is 17. Mind blown.

I wonder how it ranks by size.

RBH

Nice OT.

Been living in Atlanta since I was 4 years old and can't see myself ultimately living anywhere else.

I think the restaurant scene in Atlanta is one of the most underappreciated aspects of the city in general. Whenever I have family/friends come into town, they're always talking about the food afterwards.

Atlanta is a much bigger city than Charlotte.

Love Atlanta, been there a bunch of times and they always have great concerts come through!

Ronin

Nice OP!

Poncey-Highland checking in.

I've been in Atlanta since I was about 12. After high school I was so ready to get out of here. Moved away when I was 22 but I ended up missing it a lot. Came back later and fell back in love with it. It's home.

Also I'd like to think I'm numb to the pain the Falcons, Braves, and Hawks bring me.

Born and raised in metro Atlanta for 35 years now living in Sandy Springs. However, that's about to end as my job is planning to transfer me to Denver very soon.

Atlanta isn't too bad, but I'm ready for a change of scenery. Also, it'll be nice to live in a city with 4 pro sports teams again as I really missed going to hockey games.

I'm in Athens but kinda consider myself one of you guys as far as GAF is concerned. Looking forward to having a pro soccer team to root for.

Great OP!

andthebeatgoeson

I'll rep both Philly and the A. But no outkast in the op.

That's worst than that first post.

ZUsMKN5.gif

A ton of people think of music when it comes to the A.

Partially good ot, op.

AEREC

Odd city for an OT but why not I guess. I'm from the area and always thought it was a boring city. Recently moved to Seattle and find it much more enjoyable and explorable.

giga

I'll rep both Philly and the A. But no outkast in the op.

That's worst than that first post.

ZUsMKN5.gif

A ton of people think of music when it comes to the A.

Partially good ot, op.

Music is definitely one of the first things to come to mind when I think of ATL.

Its one of the reasons why I wouldn't mind retiring and living in Atlanta for the rest of my life.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Moving to Warner Robins in the coming weeks, probably gonna be taking a lot of trips to Atlanta and or Macon.

eloestmn

I dont live there anymore, but I was born in East Point. South Fulton Hospital in 1978.

This was my mothers Parents house.

It wasnt always that awful paint job nor that overgrown. Honestly its sad to see it in that shape. (the street view images are pretty old so no telling what it looks like now.) There was a serious Pecan Tree in the back yard. I lived in the house on the left until 1987. There was a family that lived on the right that had two adopted kids and once when the daughter cut their grass without permission...the mother dug up the entire front yard and shaved the girls head.

Ducking fantastic op. Nice, been waiting on this.
Midtown checking in. Specifically across the street from the fox theater. Watching the snow fall.

I don't blame you for thinking that. Charlotte is a boring ass fucking city, so it seems a lot more smaller than its population would lead you to believe.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I don't blame you for thinking that. Charlotte is a boring ass fucking city, so it seems a lot more smaller than its population would lead you to believe.

Boring? nah, clearly you haven't been to Charleston. Voted US best city 2015. It's pretty. But the only thing people do here is drink.

Atleast if I were in Charlotte I could go to a football or basketball game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom