• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaggedSac

The list of places made me recall my visit to the clermont lounge a few months ago. I think I lost 5 lbs of sweat in that damn place. Saw the biggest pair of knockers I've ever seen though. And on a regular sized woman at that. Strange place.

tmdorsey

Checking in. Grady baby living in Stockbridge. Love this city. As a person born and raised in Atlanta, the transformation I've seen the city go through and continue to do is pretty amazing.

mYm|17|

I miss Atlanta and wouldnt mind moving back there some day. The transformation that the city is going through is amazing. Ponce city market and Krog street market are the two things that didnt open until after I left that I wanted to go to so bad. Still have a ton of friends there and will definitely be coming back to visit.

Levyne

Banned
I used to live in West Midtownish area (Blandtown?) When I moved in it was kinda unimpressive but not too scummy and decent rental rates. Now there's at least 4 new apartment complexes within 4 minutes, a driving range, shops and stores. Spotty parts steadily getting blotted out. Was nice to see.

ajcacio

Banned
Born and raised in ATL, live on the westside now. No mention of a burger from Bocado, O4W Pizza, nor Bone Lick BBQ? (funded by none other than Atlantas own David Cross)

Glad to see there's finally an OT. I love this city

andthebeatgoeson

If anyone ever wants to see gentrification, come drive thru city of Decatur.

Heard it was a dump in the 90s up until recently. People on the block talk about drug dealers protecting people not too long ago. Now it's one of the best public school systems ITP with ranchers being torn down for $600k houses. Decent downtown area with good restaurants.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Real Talk

Fox Bros is overrated now.

It is the victim of becoming too popular. Food isn't as good as it use to be, and wait times are crazy cause its the "known" BBQ spot. Plus it isn't cheap anymore either. Not that good BBQ is ever dirt cheap or anything.

maxcriden

Great OT, nice work!

I recently did a mini restaurant recommendation guide for a coworker...maybe if I forward it to you you might consider putting some of it in the OT? Could be useful for in or out of towners. We just moved here in May but the restaurant scene is a huge step up from VT. (I'm in Stone Mountain but work in DT.)
Real Talk

It is the victim of becoming too popular. Food isn't as good as it use to be, and wait times are crazy cause its the "known" BBQ spot. Plus it isn't cheap anymore either. Not that good BBQ is ever dirt cheap or anything.

I've only been once. the parking situation is abysmal and I can see why residents are frustrated by it. Wait times were nuts and they don't have a good system in place to account for the long wait there. They need an overflow area or more space for people to wait in something like OPH or Pappadeaux. I was very impressed with the beef ribs and smoked wings, though, and the Frito pie was very good, too. Where do you recommend?

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
Born and raised in ATL, live on the westside now. No mention of a burger from Bocado, O4W Pizza, nor Bone Lick BBQ? (funded by none other than Atlantas own David Cross)

Glad to see there's finally an OT. I love this city

Exactly what I was thinking, food-wise. O4W pizza and Jakes Ice Cream next to it are amazing. You could add Orpheus Brewing to the brewery list too, though most of their stuff is more of an acquired taste.

Going on my 5th year in the A and really like it here. Living in O4W close to Ponce City Market, checked out Minero there last night. Also have lived in Morningside and VA Highland before I made the move to this part of town.

Nairume

Banned
Real Talk

I lived right down the road from it for a year and never actually went to try it out. Everyone I asked usually just wanted to go to Community (or, since we were in Kirkwood, we'd just walk to the good BBQ joint there).

maxcriden

I lived right down the road from it for a year and never actually went to try it out. Everyone I asked usually just wanted to go to Community.

That's the place right next to the delicious Mason Tavern, right? I wanna try it. It's great? What do you recommend there?

Nairume

Banned
That's the place right next to the delicious Mason Tavern, right? I wanna try it. It's great? What do you recommend there?
Aside from their brisket and pulled pork (which goes without saying), they have amazing mac & cheese. I also liked their brunswick stew.

friday

What's up ATL, I live right near L5P. Great thread OP, I never thought someone would put this kinda effort in for Atlanta.

Real Talk

Still the best wings in Atlanta. Crowds are off the chain in that place though, I only go right when they open, or for an early dinner. I would very much add Heirloom BBQ Market to the recommendations, it is my favorite spot in Atlanta for BBQ.

Should we add bar recommendations?

- Argosy
- Brickstore
- Little Trouble
- The Local
- 97 Estoria (smoking at night)
- Octopus Bar (smoking)
- All of the EAV

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Community is what I'd recommend too.

A lot of it depends on what area you are in as certain places might be good, but not worth an hour drive through traffic.

Also let me state I'm not saying Fox Bros is bad. It's still good.

It's just not great and worth the higher prices, long wait times, and cluster fuck that is the parking these days.

giga

Great OT, nice work!

I recently did a mini restaurant recommendation guide for a coworker...maybe if I forward it to you you might consider putting some of it in the OT? Could be useful for in or out of towners. We just moved here in May but the restaurant scene is a huge step up from VT. (I'm in Stone Mountain but work in DT.)

I've only been once. the parking situation is abysmal and I can see why residents are frustrated by it. Wait times were nuts and they don't have a good system in place to account for the long wait there. They need an overflow area or more space for people to wait in something like OPH or Pappadeaux. I was very impressed with the beef ribs and smoked wings, though, and the Frito pie was very good, too. Where do you recommend?

Yeah no prob.

Also, added a bars section. It's a big list, so I'm gonna separate it by location/area I think.

Remf

Chamblee here. DBA BBQ in the highlands is a good spot as well as my cousins BBQ joint, Sam's BBQ 1, in Marietta. Great pork and brisket.

As a fairly new resident of Newnan, GA I find this very useful. I've discovered a few of ATL's hidden gems on my own, but I'll definitely have to check out some of the others in the OT. Thanks!

ajcacio

Banned
Exactly what I was thinking, food-wise. O4W pizza and Jakes Ice Cream next to it are amazing. You could add Orpheus Brewing to the brewery list too, though most of their stuff is more of an acquired taste.

Going on my 5th year in the A and really like it here. Living in O4W close to Ponce City Market, checked out Minero there last night. Also have lived in Morningside and VA Highland before I made the move to this part of town.

Since we're just telling each other how right we are, I agree. I think Orpheus is the best craft beer in Atlanta. How was Minero? Sean Brock is cool AF. Thinking of taking some friends there later today?

Awesome OT! I'm going to use it as a "to do" list.

I'm way the hell up in Cumming but Kirkwood is my second home.

You should add Little Alley in Roswell to the food section. Best steak I've ever had.

And all of the snow is pretty much gone already :(

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
Since we're just telling each other how right we are, I agree. I think Orpheus is the best craft beer in Atlanta. How was Minero? Sean Brock is cool AF. Thinking of taking some friends there later today?

It's good, more authentic Mexican than most places around so just know that going in. Tacos are small like bartaco if you've been there, so you may need a bunch if you're hungry.

I got the carnitas platter and thought it was really tasty, but again the portion is on the smaller side. I drank the $3 pounders of tecate, but my girlfriend got a margarita and liked it.

tagrat

North Decatur here. I'm a native that grew up in the East Cobb / Roswell area.

BBQ tip: Grand Champion is my favorite overall. There is one in Krog Street Market, but the original is in East Cobb.

Katori

I've been in the area for over a year now, but in a roommate situation that I've found on Craigslist. Now my girlfriend and I want to rent a house/townhouse/duplex, but I'm having trouble finding anything north of 20 and east of 75/85 for under $1100. Any advice here? Buying isn't an option right now and we'd prefer to stay out of apartments. Might be totally unreasonable, but I'm not sure.

kodecraft

As someone born and raised in the ATX but has family in the ATL and I have lived there for sometime but now back in Austin....this is a great OT.

ajcacio

Banned
It's good, more authentic Mexican than most places around so just know that going in. Tacos are small like bartaco if you've been there, so you may need a bunch if you're hungry.

I got the carnitas platter and thought it was really tasty, but again the portion is on the smaller side. I drank the $3 pounders of tecate, but my girlfriend got a margarita and liked it.

We ended up going...it was fantastic. The charred wings were my favorite. I thought it was much better than Superica and I'm a big Ford Fry fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom