• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

friday

I thought it was much better than Superica and I'm a big Ford Fry fan.

Yeah I went to Superica once and I wasn't super impressed. I would say the food is weirdly too rich. After an appetizer I was kinda finished. I work in Forest Park, so I score all my Mexican food down there. Don Burrito Grill is a damn good lunch spot.

cbrun44

I'm in Decatur. Looking to take my 4 year old daughter to a "real" arcade (not a Dave & Busters). Any suggestions in metro Atlanta? Am I out of luck?

Great to know! Never really considered it due to the fact it's really a bar. But looking at their site kids appear welcome early.
There's also one in Loganville called Flashback Games that's also very very good.
Edit: Oh you said Metro Atlanta. Nvm, it's close by though.

RBH

1645475_Still.jpg

Georgia lawmakers are set to introduce a bill to expand MARTA rail. It would require a new tax and the approval of voters.

It’s been more than a decade since MARTA last expanded its rail system – largely because of an absence of funding. But lawmakers say if residents in Fulton and DeKalb County want expansion – they can pay for part of it with a new sales tax.

The projects are "expensive but it will help move people, and give citizens the option of transit. And we need to expand transit," said Rep. Brandon Beach (R-Alpharetta), who said he would introduce the measure Monday.

Beach said the plan would raise more than $8 billion to expand MARTA rail. It would ask voters to approve a one-cent sales tax in Fulton and DeKalb counties. Half would go for road improvements. Half would go to expanding MARTA rail.

It would attach three lines to the existing MARTA rail system -- one that goes north up Georgia 400; another that goes east to Stonecrest Mall out I-20; and a light rail line called the Clifton Corridor, which goes through Emory and southeast to Avondale.

Despite its costs, many Georgia Republicans have begun to warm up to rail transit as population has grown and roads have clogged.

"The millennials and the young people are demanding it. Our peer cities that we compete with, Dallas and Charlotte, they're expanding transit. And we need to expand transit in order to get into the job centers," Beach said.

House Speaker Rep. David Ralston (R-Blue Ridge) is among the Republican who has begun to talk up rail transit as a way to keep Georgia competitive for jobs. New companies "want to be located near rail," Ralston said Tuesday. "I think we have to face reality and we’re going to have to talk about transit in some fashion."

If the bill passes the legislature, it would require approval of the Fulton and DeKalb County boards of commissioners, followed by the approval of voters on election ballots.
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/2016/01/26/bill-would-built-8-billion-new-marta-rail/79366804/

friday

Good news to me. The city has grown so much in the last decade, now the transportation infrastructure needs to grow too.

Althane

That Clifton line would be pretty awesome. Living in Brookhaven, I've got most everything I need to get to covered by MARTA, but it would be pretty sweet to have a light rail line there, make it easier to go hit Rise and Dine in the morning.

Two more Georgia State University students have been robbed at gunpoint in Library North, the scene of multiple armed robberies in the last month.

Both robberies occurred before 8 a.m., according to a university alert sent Thursday morning.

Two GSU students said they were robbed of their laptops, the university said in the alert.

The suspect, GSU said, was wearing black Adidas shorts, a black top and a grey beanie.

This was at least the fourth robbery the university has reported since December — all happening at Library North at the intersection of Decatur and Courtland streets.

Deputy Chief Carlton Mullis said the university is looking into why robberies keep happening in the library.

“Armed robberies are very rare at Georgia State and certainly inside the buildings,” he said.

One factor at play may be the isolated study areas of the library, which may allow robbers to remain hidden, Mullis said.

“We are increasing our police and security patrols of campus and specifically in and around the libraries,” he added.

Library robberies started on campus Dec. 15, when a student was robbed at gunpoint of his cellphone and laptop at about 1:30 p.m.

The next day, GSU police arrested 38-year-old Daniel Duplessy, who remains in custody at the Fulton County Jail.

His arrest didn’t halt campus robberies.

The next robbery was reported Jan. 12, when a student told police a black man described as 5-foot-11 with a low haircut and tattoos on his neck stole his book bag, which contained a MacBook.

Georgia State police, in turn, enhanced library patrols with specialized units on Jan. 12, police said.

But despite the change, the man allegedly returned to Library North Jan. 14 and stole a student’s MacBook and cellphone, Mullis told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

A week after that armed robbery, police released a sketch of a man wanted for questioning in that incident and two others.

Mullis said no one is in custody in connection with the most recent robberies, but he thinks they are all related.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/georgia-state-university-2-students-robbed-at-gunp/nqDtb/
This is freaking ridiculous. I cannot believe how unsafe my library is now. Can't even go and study in there.

friday

That GSU story is crazy. I don't really understand how they are letting people in that are not students. I am going to assume that the robberies are not being done by students.

There's also one in Loganville called Flashback Games that's also very very good.
Edit: Oh you said Metro Atlanta. Nvm, it's close by though.

This isn't directed at you, but I got so pissed off when I read this post lol. Flashback Games used to be in Athens and I loved the place to death. I have no idea why they moved to Loganville.

Ganhyun

How about that crazy shit down 75 yesterday

So glad I didn't have to go over that way. Would have sucked.

That GSU story is crazy. I don't really understand how they are letting people in that are not students. I am going to assume that the robberies are not being done by students.

I would not assume. I don't know anything about that library but is it possible its also being used as a public library as well? If so, this may be what makes them require student ids.

Kaladin

Many campus libraries let the public in with limited access to resources. This is required if they are a government depository which means they house government documents.

I would not assume. I don't know anything about that library but is it possible its also being used as a public library as well? If so, this may be what makes them require student ids.

Many campus libraries let the public in with limited access to resources. This is required if they are a government depository which means they house government documents.
Nah, for the most part you have to go here to get access to the library. Otherwise, You can enter in as a guest but you have to give up your ID to do so.
Not sure where the breakdown is. :/

RBH

mls-atlanta-united.jpg

Atlanta United’s season-ticket prices will range from $20 per game to $225 per game and the process of going on sale will start next week for Founders’ Club members in the order they joined.

Atlanta United’s most expensive tickets can be found in the SunTrust Club section of Mercedes-Benz Stadium at midfield behind the team’s benches. The total cost for 18 home games is $4,050. The team, owned by Arthur Blank, will begin play in 2017.

The least expensive tickets will be sold in either the Supporter’s section behind a goal, or on the other end of the stadium behind the opposite goal, described as Goal on the season ticket pricing map released by team. The total cost for 18 home games in the least expensive sections is $360 per ticket.

For comparison sake, the Seattle Sounders – the top MLS team in attendance and the franchise that Atlanta United officials have consistently referenced as a model franchise – have season-ticket prices for this year ranging from $23.50 to $69 per game for 19 games, according to the team’s website. Those don’t include the Sounders’ four-seat field-side tables that cost $275 per seat per game, with additional amenities included.

The league has twice declined to provide average season-ticket prices for its teams.

Atlanta United becomes the third Atlanta team selling season tickets in new stadiums slated to open next year.

Falcons tickets in Mercedes-Benz Stadium range in price from $55 to $385 per game, plus one-time personal seat license fees ranging from $500 to $45,000 per seat.

The Braves’ season-ticket prices in SunTrust Park range from $6 to $475 per game.

For Atlanta United, the conversion process of purchasing season tickets will start with an email that will detail the availability of seats. Approximately a week later, the Founders’ Club member will receive a phone call. Every member should receive a phone call no later than July.

A member may purchase as many as eight season tickets. The team says it has received pledges for between 29,000-30,000 season tickets.

Only Founders’ Club members can purchase season tickets at this point. The cost to join is $50 and will count toward the cost of a season ticket.

Construction on Mercedes-Benz Stadium will not be complete when the MLS season starts in March, 2017. Blank said the stadium will open in July, 2017, but said he expects to play 17 regular season home games at the $1.4 billion stadium.

Between the Supporters Section and Goal Section and Mercedes-Benz and the SunTrust Club are six levels of pricing.

A season ticket in the Sidelines section will cost $630. A family of four sitting in that section would see a cost of $2,520.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/pro-sports/atlanta-united-releases-season-ticket-prices-for-2/nqJmp/

IMG_0063.jpg

RBH

State Senator John Albers, R-Roswell talks about his skepticism of the MARTA bill:

“I’m looking for real meaningful solutions so we can help people in the very short term,” Albers said. “Because to have something that may, in 12 or 15 years, benefit someone isn’t really helping that mom or dad trying to get to work, or get their kids to soccer practice.”

Albers said residents in his area are fearful that a MARTA rail line could actually increase traffic congestion, by drawing in commuters from outlying areas.

Albers — the rail skeptic – acknowledged the shifting situation. “Imagine this balloon, if you will, rising with the potential of doing something. And right now, there’s a thumbtack with MARTA that can pop that balloon,” the Roswell lawmaker said. “Let this sail and get going, and then we’ll get something that’s really meaningful.”
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/0...rta-a-gaffe-and-perhaps-a-game-changing-poll/

Bullshit. I can say that when I move from here next month, I'm looking forward to living in a place that actually supports light rails being built where people live despite their demographics. They can remove their filter now. Everyone who has lived here since the light rail was started knows the real reason why expansion will never reach the areas it really needs to. Still pisses me off reading this crap.

giga

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Back at university in Virginia and I miss home so much. ��

whats the temperature like down there right now?
Light snow flurries dancin' around here in Norcross, actually.

DrFunk said:
"we don't want the detritus MARTA riders up here"
Said the gatekeepers of that classy black hole of commercial abandonment expanding from Gwinnett Place Mall.

I have no doubt the new Braves stadium is gonna get Cobb talking about expanding MARTA reeeeeaaaaaal quick once they see the traffic fallout.

We are even getting some flurries down here in Newnan! As a NY transplant I'm happy to see a little bit of Winter down here :)

Apdiddy

Newnan here although most of the town likes to pretend they aren't part of Atlanta. We have one average to OK BBQ place called Sprayberry's (I ate there a few times and I didn't like the BBQ). Fox Bros. BBQ is so much better.

I used to work in downtown Atlanta and there are restaurants everywhere although I mostly ate at Wendy's in CNN center every day.

There's also some great food trucks although the city of Atlanta wants them to be at Underground Atlanta and you'll see them during events like Shaky Knees Festival, Music Midtown, etc.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Seems like I might have to send some resumes to the ATL area. My grandmother stays in Decatur, and I have friends in Duluth/Norcross aka Korea 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom