• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Google Fiber pricing revealed for Atlanta:

MWrTWA4.png

https://fiber.google.com/cities/atlanta/plans/
https://fiber.google.com/cities/atlanta/

sQxRuRo.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Atlanta/comments/44z5tf/chart_of_google_fiber_comcast_xfinity_and_att/

Google has also created a map of apartments that are "on track" for Fiber in the metro Atlanta area:

https://fiber.google.com/cities/atlanta/apartments/

Was staying in Fort Gordon/Augusta last summer and I loved hitting up Atlanta. I certainly wouldn't mind living there. Looks like I missed a lot of stuff to see anyway, so I'll have to make a trip down their again sometime.

Ganhyun

Holy shit my apartment complex is in the list to get fiber!

Can't wait! I'll get to tell Comcast to fuck off with their caps!

giga

That $70 plan from AT&T does not mention that they get to watch your internet browsing. It's $30 more for basic American privacy rights.

Also, that $50 100/100 plan is killer. Get fucked Comcast.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That map is waaayyy bigger than the initial info lead us to believe. That shit goes way outside the perimeter.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
That map is waaayyy bigger than the initial info lead us to believe. That shit goes way outside the perimeter.

I was shocked to see my apartment in Norcross on there. Although I guess it explains why AT&T sales reps have been particularly aggressive and frequent out here lately.

Now we just gotta see how long the wait is.

Get fucked, Comcast. Can't wait until I have to stop worrying about running up against my data cap every month.

Nairume

Banned
Dang, I'm barely a quarter mile away from where they seem to be stopping at the moment.

Hopefully they either expand outward or at least scare Comcast into playing ball for a bit.

Hey all - might as well take a shot in the dark....

my wife who is from atlanta and I are trying to move down there from NYC ( where we've been for 12+ yrs). I currently work as a 3d character animator for broadcast/film...from my research there really doesnt seem to be much in the way of work for me in georgia. I'm willing to shift careers a little bit if required, such as storyboarding, design, editing, etc..are there any gaffers with advice or can help me get a foot in the door/contact info for any vfx/animation studios down there?

PM me if so please. cheers.

It makes me hopeful that they'll expand to places like Marietta and Kennesaw sooner rather than later.

There is an apartment building in Kennesaw that is getting it. I'm way outside the city limits of Kennesaw according to the map of the city's website (though I have a Kennesaw mailing address, no idea how that works), so I don't know if it'll come to me, but my fingers are crossed.

friday

I bet comcast looses their ass whenever google moves into town.

Speaking of awesome internet, we just opened an office in Chattanooga and that city got their act together a few years ago and put fiber everywhere. The local power company provides the service for google level prices. We had our internet on in no time and it's mega fast. It is so nice having the city provide the service rather than having to go through one of the communication companies.

Tarkus

I love the John's Creek area. Beautiful homes, nice shops and restaurants. Charming little hospital. Just the right distance from the city. Might look into it one day.

Ganhyun

I love the John's Creek area. Beautiful homes, nice shops and restaurants. Charming little hospital. Just the right distance from the city. Might look into it one day.

i work in that area. they've worked hard to clean it up (couple of years ago they had a massage parlor sex trade issue).

I bet comcast looses their ass whenever google moves into town.

Speaking of awesome internet, we just opened an office in Chattanooga and that city got their act together a few years ago and put fiber everywhere. The local power company provides the service for google level prices. We had our internet on in no time and it's mega fast. It is so nice having the city provide the service rather than having to go through one of the communication companies.

It's fucking sad that legislation will probably prevent this from happening everywhere for long ass time

GulAtiCa

Google Fiber can't get here soon enough. I can't wait. I'm up here in Roswell and already have 2 places that have it coming that are near me. So there is hope!

BrettWeir

On the subject of ISP's, can anyone state whether or not ATT Uverse data caps are enforced here in Atlanta? I'm sick to death of Comcast's shit.

I know Uverse says "250 Gigabyte cap", but in researching, they aren't enforcing it in quite a few other cities (Houston for example).

Really thinking about moving to Atlanta from Montgomery now, but I don't know anything about the place (affordable places to live, etc.)

andycapps

Athens native GAF checking in. Consider myself your cousin. Even though I live in Columbus, OH, Athens will always be my hometown.

Small update on Marta expansion bill.
It has been moved out of committee and is on its way to the Senate Floor.

Edit: Article
A bill that would let voters in DeKalb and Fulton decide whether to pay up to an additional half-percent sales tax for MARTA took a step forward in the state Senate on Thursday.

The Senate Transportation Committee approved Senate Bill 330 by a vote of 8-3 with a few amendments designed to appease mayors in Fulton County.

http://commuting.blog.ajc.com/2016/02/18/marta-expansion-bill-advances-in-senate/

RBH

Small update on Marta expansion bill.
It has been moved out of committee and is on its way to the Senate Floor.

Edit: Article

http://commuting.blog.ajc.com/2016/02/18/marta-expansion-bill-advances-in-senate/

Hell yeah

If the legislation is passed and approved by elected officials in the affected counties, residents could vote on the proposed sales tax increase in the November general election of 2016 or 2017.

The average resident would pay an extra $51 annually in sales taxes if an additional half-percent sales tax were imposed, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has previously reported.

andthebeatgoeson

I feel like sales taxes are inflated in our minds. I'm trying to get an assessment of it.

http://commuting.blog.ajc.com/2016/02/18/what-youll-really-pay-if-the-marta-tax-increases/

According to the Georgia State University Fiscal Research Center, the answer is: $51 per year.

Gilvin acknowledged his math did not account for the portion of the sales taxes paid by the hordes of workers, travelers and tourists passing through the counties each year.
According to Bluestone, the GSU researcher, dividing projected tax collections by population creates an inaccurate picture of the potential impact on residents.
“That would inflate the amount that the actual residents are paying,” Bluestone said.

They try and come up with a number but recognize the limitations. It's a small amount and I assume, a lively tourist population and traveling business community affects that in a positive way for the residents. I hope it passes. Traffic, on the connector, Saturday is a shit show. The street layout is shit tier. Few straight thoroughfares that help you to improve travel times thru the city compared to the highway.

RBH

Looks like the MARTA bill is dead:

I just got off the phone with state Sen. Brandon Beach, R-Alpharetta, who told me that SB 313, the bill that would authorize MARTA to pursue a massive $8 billion expansion up through north Fulton County and east to Emory University, failed to make the Senate Rules Committee calendar and won’t receive a Crossover Day vote on Monday.

“It’s dead,” said a clearly shaken Beach. “I put a lot of effort in that.”

We’re still trying to pin exactly why it wasn’t the green light, but one factor may have been brought to light on Wednesday, by House Speaker pro tem Jan Jones, R-Milton, in an interview on GPB’s “The Lawmakers.”

While Beach was the author, Jones said she was concerned that six GOP senators whose districts touch the north Fulton region were against it.
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/02/26/marta-rail-effort-dies-without-a-senate-floor-vote/

Fuck this shit

Tadale

I recently moved from Sandy Springs where my address would have gotten Google Fiber to Cobb County where service won't reach me. Huge bummer.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

Good god some of the comments on that article.

Newshound65 said:
Just take a look as to what has happened to Lenox & Perimeter Malls to understand why the good folks in North Fulton don't want it happening to North Point.

Is this idiot serious? Lenox is the nicest mall in Atlanta.

I'd kill for light rail options coming out to Villa Rica.

giga

I think it's pretty clear what that commenter wanted to write.

"Just take a look as to what has happened to Lenox & Perimeter Malls to understand why the good, white folks in North Fulton don't want it happening to North Point."

RBH

One course of action would be to get out and vote during the primaries on May 24th and vote out the clowns who were opposed to the MARTA bill.

Or at least I'll be doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom