• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Talk was a tornado touched down in Lewisville on 121. We immediately ran to the tub and we could hear the ridiculously high winds outside despite being in the farthest interior of our apartment. The lights flickered a lot and it was 5 minutes that felt like an hour. I don't think I got back to bed until 530 or so. The scary thing was I had the bedroom window open but never even heard the sirens. My fiance heard them luckily.

Those were fortunately straightline winds, the reports the NWS released this afternoon didn't have anything about Lewisville, just a really small tornado in Keller and Corinth.

Realized I have no jeans at all. Kind of weren't a thing with me in Florida.

Certainly thinking about them now...

I did get an ice scraper for my car. Figured that'd be a good investment just in case.

Anyone watching UFC 194 Saturday night?

Gonna be at Cocky's Wing Bar eating dem unlimited wings and watching the fights if anyone is looking for a place to watch. It's in Burleson(Home of Kelly Clarkson).

Wreav

Banned
This has been one of the most colorful falls I've seen in my 10 years here, thanks to no big freezes yet. The sunsets have been insane in the last week, and so much red in the trees. Feels weird.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This has been one of the most colorful falls I've seen in my 10 years here, thanks to no big freezes yet. The sunsets have been insane in the last week, and so much red in the trees. Feels weird.

oh this isnt normal? Sad. I was laughing at everyone complaining that we dont have nice colorful falls here. I came from up north, Fall stays pretty for all of 5 days, then its ugly browns everywhere. Here we (at least this year, my first) have had a beautiful fall for a lot longer.

Wreav

Banned
oh this isnt normal? Sad. I was laughing at everyone complaining that we dont have nice colorful falls here. I came from up north, Fall stays pretty for all of 5 days, then its ugly browns everywhere. Here we (at least this year, my first) have had a beautiful fall for a lot longer.

Yeah this is totally out of the ordinary. Usually we get a hard freeze in November and everything dies immediately.

Wreav

Banned
Spent the morning at Klyde in shorts...the perfect fall so far.

12357610_999912823400211_215598937_n.jpg

akileese

Oh fun. My apartment is right by one of the Trinity River levees right past downtown in North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts!

The trinity forks off so much that in reality, everyone who lives here should be aware of how bad it's gotten. I have friends who live up in Fort Worth and happen to live next to one of the danger areas. I live in Carrollton and there's a small creek here. Ironically, I'm nowhere near any of the flood danger zones, but I'm so close to the lake mileage wise (about 12-15 miles) that I'm pretty much screwed.

akileese

Yep fortunately (for me) it's on the other side of the county but I'm keeping an eye out.

Good to hear! They just updated it to expire at 815. I'm traveling right now and quite happy to be in Mississippi right now, which is something I never thought I'd say.

Watching the newscast on NBC right now and they've got the helicopter shots of the destruction... and holy fucking shit.

I was out shopping last night over in Arlington and it was such a relative calm over there when this hit. It was mostly blinding rain and of course the flash flooding threat over there and you wouldn't even know that 30 minutes away from us there was a tornado barreling down the houses.

One of my friends in Garland luckily escaped this shit, he was at the Mavs game the entire night and the tornado was 2 miles away from his house so there's some debris and fence damage, but his house is thankfully intact.

besada

Banned
I hope everyone made out okay and is safe. A friend of a friend lost someone in the tornado last night. Stay safe everyone.

NR1

FYI, Jerry Springer will be at McKinney Avenue Tavern in downtown Dallas (owned by Big Al Mac from Kidd Kraddick in the Morning) on Thursday (01/07/16) at 7pm singing Elvis songs for Elvis' 81st birthday.

I went last year and it was a lot of fun. Big Al is usually there every day until 7pm and it very approachable. Springer is approachable too and happy to take photos.

FYI, Jerry Springer will be at McKinney Avenue Tavern in downtown Dallas (owned by Big Al Mac from Kidd Kraddick in the Morning) on Thursday (01/07/16) at 7pm singing Elvis songs for Elvis' 81st birthday.

I went last year and it was a lot of fun. Big Al is usually there every day until 7pm and it very approachable. Springer is approachable too and happy to take photos.

That is so random and awesome haha

FYI, Miku Hatsune expo will be at the Bomb Factory on May 14 for anyone interested in that. I am actually shocked that something like that would show up are here.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wife and I are looking to have a cheap fun weekend sometime, anyone have any suggestions? We are trying to save money right now due to our dog needing emergency surgery, so we killed the entire entertainment budget (several overnight stays at the animal ER in Plano are fricken $$$$$$$$". Curious if anyone knows of some very cheap fun things to do around dallas/ft worth.

woodchuck

Wife and I are looking to have a cheap fun weekend sometime, anyone have any suggestions? We are trying to save money right now due to our dog needing emergency surgery, so we killed the entire entertainment budget (several overnight stays at the animal ER in Plano are fricken $$$$$$$$". Curious if anyone knows of some very cheap fun things to do around dallas/ft worth.

Arts district / klyde warren park. The DMA is free and of course, the park is free too. There are food trucks around which are cheap. You could also spend time walking around downtown. As you make your way from the arts district to downtown, you can end up at Dallas farmers market and walk around/eat good food for cheap

Woodchuck has the right idea above.

Katy trail is a good one too, nice long walk around that is nice. There's also Arbor Hills Nature Preserve in Plano for a hike.

This list is good too
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/dallas/best-cheap-dates-in-dallas-under-20

besada

Banned

Check on these two lists:
http://www.fortworth.com/things-to-do/free-things-to-do/
https://www.thrillist.com/entertain...s-dallas-museum-of-art-katy-trail-bishop-arts

We have enough museums, galleries, and cultural centers in the area that you can visit new content every weekend, in perpetuity. Add in dozens of traditional events in DFW and the mid-cities and there's a bunch of free stuff to do.

My wife and I like museum, galleries, and little art shops like the ones near Fair Park. But there's generally a bunch of live, inexpensive music going on somewhere, if that's more your thing.

Ballet Folklorico is amazing, as is the Hip Pocket Theater. We have a bunch of small theaters doing a variety of work, from the broadly comedic to the avant-garde. Most of them aren't very expensive if you hit a matinee or an off day, say $10-15 a person.

If you're interested, this site has a bunch of shows and dates, including college and community theaters, which can be very inexpensive or free. I think I paid $8 the last time I went to a community theater to see a friend.
http://www.broadwayworld.com/dallas/regionalshows.cfm

Pagusas

Elden Member
Thank you all, wonderful suggestions :) Also the dog is back home and getting better. almost 10k was the final bill... if you dont have it, get pet insurance!

Pagusas

Elden Member
How is the Perot science museum? The website makes it look like its just for toddlers.

my wife and I liked it, not the best science museum we've ever been too, but its still well produced and an interesting 2 - 3 hour time waster. It is geared more toward the younger audience but lots of interesting stuff to play with.

How is the Perot science museum? The website makes it look like its just for toddlers.

There's a ton of kids there during the weekend and holidays, etc. Though they do have adult nights on their calendar where they have some kind of event around a theme

Last one I went to the whole museum was open, they were serving drinks and a Cure cover band was playing. IIRC the ticket was not very expensive. Good stuff!

my wife and I liked it, not the best science museum we've ever been too, but its still well produced and an interesting 2 - 3 hour time waster. It is geared more toward the younger audience but lots of interesting stuff to play with.

There's a ton of kids there during the weekend and holidays, etc. Though they do have adult nights on their calendar where they have some kind of event around a theme

Last one I went to the whole museum was open, they were serving drinks and a Cure cover band was playing. IIRC the ticket was not very expensive. Good stuff!

I will check it out. Thanks!

Wassap Dallas Gaf!

I'm going to be visiting Dallas in a couple weeks and I wanted to ask a few questions.

1.) How's the traffic in the city? I hate driving in SF. Does Dallas get that bad?

2.) I plan to attend a Mavs game (tickets are already purchased). Any tips with that (parking, places to go before/after)?

3.) Are there any Latino oriented/run places I can visit?

4.) Any areas to avoid (specifically at night)?

5.) I'll be going with my girlfriend for her birthday, so I'd like to do to something romantic with her. A suggestions?

Super pumped to be visiting!

woodchuck

Wassap Dallas Gaf!

I'm going to be visiting Dallas in a couple weeks and I wanted to ask a few questions.

1.) How's the traffic in the city? I hate driving in SF. Does Dallas get that bad?

2.) I plan to attend a Mavs game (tickets are already purchased). Any tips with that (parking, places to go before/after)?

5.) I'll be going with my girlfriend for her birthday, so I'd like to do to something romantic with her. A suggestions?

1) weekday rush hour is pretty bad otherwise traffic is better compared to other cities. Traffic is definitely better than the Bay Area.

2) Where will you be staying? Depending on where you are, you could take the Dart to the game or just Uber. There are a few bars and restaurants around the American Airlines Center. But for more nightlife, you could walk (about 10 minutes) to uptown or uber there. Lots of bars and clubs on McKinney avenue (between fairmont and Lemmon ave) or cedar springs (between maple and routh)

3) someone else might be better to answer this question.

4) where will you be staying? That will determine what areas to avoid.

5) you could grab a romantic dinner at lark on the park or savor then spend time at Kyle warren park or go to a show in the arts district. Alternatively, five sixty (restaurant in reunion tower) is pretty romantic. Basically any fine dining place in Dallas is romantic: the French room, mansion at turtle creek, etc. Uchi would be a good place too. Tell them you're celebrating a birthday and they may give you free dessert. Also romantic is dinner at trinit groves then spending time on the pedestrian bridge overlooking downtown.

What you get out of Dallas will largely depend on where you're staying.

akileese

Wassap Dallas Gaf!

To elaborate on the poster above about #1, avoid 35E at all costs. It's an absolute hell hole during the week. Also be wary of BNSF trains on surface street. They take ten minutes to pass and have a knack for showing up around rush hour.

1) weekday rush hour is pretty bad otherwise traffic is better compared to other cities. Traffic is definitely better than the Bay Area.

2) Where will you be staying? Depending on where you are, you could take the Dart to the game or just Uber. There are a few bars and restaurants around the American Airlines Center. But for more nightlife, you could walk (about 10 minutes) to uptown or uber there. Lots of bars and clubs on McKinney avenue (between fairmont and Lemmon ave) or cedar springs (between maple and routh)

3) someone else might be better to answer this question.

4) where will you be staying? That will determine what areas to avoid.

5) you could grab a romantic dinner at lark on the park or savor then spend time at Kyle warren park or go to a show in the arts district. Alternatively, five sixty (restaurant in reunion tower) is pretty romantic. Basically any fine dining place in Dallas is romantic: the French room, mansion at turtle creek, etc. Uchi would be a good place too. Tell them you're celebrating a birthday and they may give you free dessert. Also romantic is dinner at trinit groves then spending time on the pedestrian bridge overlooking downtown.

What you get out of Dallas will largely depend on where you're staying.

I'll be staying at 1000 S Sherman St, Richardson, TX 75081. Seems to be a short drive to downtown Dallas.

I did reserve to rent a car to hopefully expedite my mobility.

Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely look into those places!

Top Bottom