• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Wreav

Banned
Technically the one on Webb Chapel is the only "legit" imax in town, but I will always prefer going to the AMC Firewheel, just because the theater and surrounding area is so much nicer.

Schlep

I had the impression there was at least something in Arlington. But I guess not.

It's really just dive bars and pool halls. You're not going to meet anyone there, and if you ever say to anyone, "hey, let's go out tonight in Arlington" they'll probably laugh pretty hard. I'm in far north Fort Worth, and Sundance Square and 7th street are ok, along with a few other places like Montgomery Plaza.

Unfortunately it doesn't hold a candle to Uptown for most people. There are so few places in FW that it's like a step above the local bar. A lot of the same faces every week.

It's really just dive bars and pool halls. You're not going to meet anyone there, and if you ever say to anyone, "hey, let's go out tonight in Arlington" they'll probably laugh pretty hard. I'm in far north Fort Worth, and Sundance Square and 7th street are ok, along with a few other places like Montgomery Plaza.

Unfortunately it doesn't hold a candle to Uptown for most people. There are so few places in FW that it's like a step above the local bar. A lot of the same faces every week.

While Arlington doesn't have places like the Granada in Dallas there's some fun places to go to off of 30 and Cooper on the other side of Jerry's world. You got the Arlington Improv, Arlington Music Hall, the dueling piano bar, Sherlock's.

Arlington just gets a lot of flak because most of their night life places are a little more diverse and darker skinned than most people around here care for.
francis.png

And we all know how a lot of white people are secret racists around here, specially the ones that moved to the metroplex from the smaller rural areas surrounding dfw.

Schlep

While Arlington doesn't have places like the Granada in Dallas there's some fun places to go to off of 30 and Cooper on the other side of Jerry's world. You got the Arlington Improv, Arlington Music Hall, the dueling piano bar, Sherlock's.

Arlington just gets a lot of flak because most of their night life places are a little more diverse and darker skinned than most people around here care for.
francis.png

And we all know how a lot of white people are secret racists around here, specially the ones that moved to the metroplex from the smaller rural areas surrounding dfw.

haha, true. Arlington has the Highlands and a couple other spots, but it's more of a place you go once in a while as opposed to every weekend. There's no concentrated area of bars/high end restaurants/etc the way there is in Fort Worth, Dallas, or Denton (no high end restaurants, but the bars...), which is what it feels like GE is looking for.

Last time I was in Arlington was at the Improv to see Gary Owen. Can't even remember if that was this year.

Yeah I'd be moving out there by myself and I wouldn't know anyone up front. So having access to a somewhat active nightlife is helpful.

So there are areas in FW too? Someone said more northern areas of FW?

Schlep

That was me. I'm in far north FW area around Alliance. There are a couple spots up here and there's Sundance Square/7th Street that have several bars/restaurants. The nice thing is it's only about a 15 minute drive down to either area at night when lanes aren't shut down for construction. The bad is that uptown Dallas is definitely on another level when it comes to nightlife. FW is trying to get there, but the area is just starting to really grow whereas Dallas is well established.

As a UTA alum, I think you'd be stupid to dismiss Arlington's nightlife.

A lot of the bars around UTA obviously have a college feel yet they're very homely and less about the bullshit of Uptown. Outside of UTA is another story, they're definitely dive bars with a much older crowd but that shit is cheap so if you're just in to relax and have a drink, a lot of those places would do well.

The Highlands is meh tbh. Boomerjacks and Pluckers are really the only decent places to be at, but as usual it feels more like groups hanging out and it's kinda hard to meet new people over there if I'm being honest.

But around UTA, if you wanna meet some college aged people just hit up the Grease Monkey, J Giligans, Hooligans, Mavericks, and Caves.

Grease Monkey has fantastic burgers, beer and live music at least once a week. I know the UTA Jazz department comes out there during the school session every Tuesday I think. I've played with those guys before and they're one of the best jazz musicians you'll ever see this side of DFW.

J Gilligans has some bomb ass food, you gotta try their Irish Nachos... it's amazing. And if you're free on Thursday nights and you wanna see sorority girls make fun of themselves on stage, then feel free to drop by on Karaoke night. Those Thursdays were the highlight of my week actually... nothing like belting out an excellent rendition of Sinatra's My Way and dropping panties left and right haha.

Hooligans, Mavericks and Caves are decent places too but they're more for the alcoholics so that's all I can really say about them lol.

Frankly I enjoyed Arlington more than Uptown... only because Arlington is much much less pretentious than those snobs at SMU... you couldn't even get a girls number the moment she knows your from UTA because apparently were all losers who don't have daddy's money to afford school. Smh...

And today, jeez all I hear is SISU this, SISU that. If those kids knew how disgusting that pool was, that place would go out of business.

woodchuck

I live in uptown and yes, the majority of places are full of pretentious douchebags. But there are chill places too like Common Table, gingerman, Bowen house, parliament, nodding donkey, quarter bar. But the best part of uptown for me is the central location to lower Greenville/deep ellum/downtown/trinity groves/design district/bishop arts.

I live in uptown and yes, the majority of places are full of pretentious douchebags. But there are chill places too like Common Table, gingerman, Bowen house, parliament, nodding donkey, quarter bar. But the best part of uptown for me is the central location to lower Greenville/deep ellum/downtown/trinity groves/design district/bishop arts.

That's what's so intriguing for that area - or at least near it. I forgot about the SMU effect, but I'm also pretty good about drowning out that type of attitude and just doing stuff on my own.

Ugh so many things to consider.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Just got back from the Fort Worth zoo for the first time. Not a bad place, a lot smaller than I thought it would be, but still nice overall. Probably will never go back, but was nice to see once.

Hollycat

I've been stuck at home for a few days... really feeling the cabin fever. Is there anything anyone can recommend doing for free/cheap near the North side of 820?

woodchuck

That's what's so intriguing for that area - or at least near it. I forgot about the SMU effect, but I'm also pretty good about drowning out that type of attitude and just doing stuff on my own.

Ugh so many things to consider.

Just remember though. Pretentious or not, uptown is full of the finest women in the country

Just remember though. Pretentious or not, uptown is full of the finest women in the country

Now this, this is something I can't deny.

I was visiting a friend at my old workplace and we ended up eating lunch at the Chuy's on Knox and good lord... my friend is already a 9 to begin with, but with the other gals in the room she got dropped down to a 6 and the crazy thing is, she knows it lol.

Wreav

Banned
They might be pretty, but they tend to be vapid and golddiggery. More power to you if you have the cash to blow.

I flew over to Dallas yesterday to see apartments up close. Looked at a place just out of the city, near SMU in midtown, and a couple near the Trinity River and Bishop Arts District.

Decided on a place in the Bishop Arts District. So pretty excited to have that selected and in process for move in next month.

kingslunk

Welcome to Dallas. Pretty cool city IMO.

If you're a movie buff there are a few indie theaters in the area that show less mainstream films. We also get pre screenings to almost every movie quite frequently too.

woodchuck

I flew over to Dallas yesterday to see apartments up close. Looked at a place just out of the city, near SMU in midtown, and a couple near the Trinity River and Bishop Arts District.

Decided on a place in the Bishop Arts District. So pretty excited to have that selected and in process for move in next month.

Nice. Bishop arts district is awesome. Lots of great restaurants, coffee shops, bars.

Good choice. It's a great area that gets a bad rap due to South Oak Cliff. South Oak Cliff is bad but not all of Oak Cliff is.

Welcome to Dallas. Pretty cool city IMO.

If you're a movie buff there are a few indie theaters in the area that show less mainstream films. We also get pre screenings to almost every movie quite frequently too.

Nice. Bishop arts district is awesome. Lots of great restaurants, coffee shops, bars.

Good choice. It's a great area that gets a bad rap due to South Oak Cliff. South Oak Cliff is bad but not all of Oak Cliff is.

Thanks all. Yeah, should be fun exploring what the area has to offer. Also looks like I'm close to the new Dallas street car, so getting to downtown Dallas during the day should be simple. Looks like service ends crazy early at 7:15pm, so not really an option for a ride after a drunken night.

And yeah I'm on the northern edge of Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts it looks like. Right near the trinity river. Oaks Trinity apartments actually.

Hollycat

I have no idea what to do tonight. Part of me really wants to go to Sue Ellens, but its a super long drive.

bleh. Any gaffers wanna hang out?

Las Colinas is fncking weird lol.

I feel under-dressed and out of place every time I'm there... like I'm already wearing a J. Crew or Brooks Brothers shirt, chinos in a variety of colors, and casual shoes that should be more than enough to look good, but nope lol. Maybe it's coz I wear my shirts untucked, or that my chinos are more casual than business, maybe I need to buy a pair of dress shoes... idk lol.

I've always driven by it a lot since I live pretty close but ever since I started working here last week, I feel like my casual yet dressy gear doesn't live up to the local standards.

Seriously, my office is pretty casual, but I walked in the Starbucks on Macarthur and 114 earlier this week and I felt like a hobo coz I was wearing chino shorts.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Las Colinas is fncking weird lol.

I feel under-dressed and out of place every time I'm there... like I'm already wearing a J. Crew or Brooks Brothers shirt, chinos in a variety of colors, and casual shoes that should be more than enough to look good, but nope lol. Maybe it's coz I wear my shirts untucked, or that my chinos are more casual than business, maybe I need to buy a pair of dress shoes... idk lol.

I've always driven by it a lot since I live pretty close but ever since I started working here last week, I feel like my casual yet dressy gear doesn't live up to the local standards.

Seriously, my office is pretty casual, but I walked in the Starbucks on Macarthur and 114 earlier this week and I felt like a hobo coz I was wearing chino shorts.

Yup, the business crowd in these parts tend to dress business formal, at least a lot of the crowd that goes to the local food places. I always feel underdressed while waiting in line at Bread Zeaplin (which btw, go to if you havnt, so GOOD).

Schlep

Yep, a lot of old school companies in that corridor means lots of business formal. By contrast, in far north Fort Worth there's a lot of "what I woke up in is fine" going on.

Now I understand why my brother, who works in LC too, goes business formal everyday, even though he's just a programmer sitting behind a computer all day haha.

There's a few outliers like local residents, or North Lake CC kids who dress casual, but beyond that, it's kinda weird for the moment... even worse since I've got a lowered Miata that looks and sounds too boy racer for the crowd lol.

Anyway, thanks for the food suggestion! I'll definitely stop by there next week. Also, try out Best Thai on Macarthur and Kinwest. Their Lo Mein is seriously one of the best things ever.

Wreav

Banned
Spent the weekend over in Ft. Worth for a wedding and had a lot of fun. The bike share downtown is awesome, and the reception was in T&P Station, which was neat. Cheap drinks compared to uptown, too!

Furniture? Go Nebraska or IKEA for the best cheap prices.

IKEA of course you have to build which is bleh but Nebraska has really good prices in their 'value' area and its like Ashley quality stuff.

Yeah the leasing office recommended I try out Nebraska Furniture. I'm actually pretty far from that place and Ikea, but that's not that big of a deal. I looked online and it does look promising. I've also never actually been in an Ikea. I hear it's pretty crazy.

Once some organizations that owe be a bunch of money get their crap together and pay me, I plan on making the trek up there and getting some proper furniture. Luckily I have just a studio, so I won't need much.

You could also try Nebraska furniture mart. I've never been but supposedly it's awesome. Then of course, there's IKEA.

Nebraska Furniture Mart is huuuuuuuuuge. Dropped by the opening weekend and the place is the size of a damn mall. They seem to have some pretty good deals once in a while.

Yeah the leasing office recommended I try out Nebraska Furniture. I'm actually pretty far from that place and Ikea, but that's not that big of a deal. I looked online and it does look promising. I've also never actually been in an Ikea. I hear it's pretty crazy.

Once some organizations that owe be a bunch of money get their crap together and pay me, I plan on making the trek up there and getting some proper furniture. Luckily I have just a studio, so I won't need much.

Thankfully both are next to each other and Nebraska Furniture Mart is way more than just furniture. They have things like fake plants to laptops to fridges to furniture to kitchen small appliances to rugs to a freaking subway and see's candies store inside haha

Thankfully both are next to each other and Nebraska Furniture Mart is way more than just furniture. They have things like fake plants to laptops to fridges to furniture to kitchen small appliances to rugs to a freaking subway and see's candies store inside haha

It's like Wonka's chocolate factory, except when you screw up they just make you work in the warehouse :/

Zebra

Hey folks, a heads up on something cool happening Friday night:

Aurora is a free and public contemporary art exhibition centered in the 68-acres Dallas Arts District. The expansive and immersive exhibition presents interactive light, video, performance, and sound artworks in exciting and unexpected public spaces.

Aurora

So I went to both Ikea and Nebraska Furniture Mart for office stuff. Ikea is like a maze. A massive maze. Felt like a mouse in there in the best maze there could possibly be! The "cheese" (meatballs and potatoes) at the end was pretty good too!

Nebraska Furniture Mart....... I've never seen anything like that in my life. I can't even describe the scale. Just... goddamn. Good thing I have only a studio. I'll say that. I didn't even make it to the second level.

Dallas-GAF... besides Wal-Mart are there any other stores that sell wooden materials and is open past midnight?

I think I'm gonna need a boat tomorrow morning.

alejob

I might be going to Dallas next summer to a conference.

I want to go east and maybe do some bass fishing for a day at lake fork. I might have to stay if I like it. Maybe find a smaller town outside the big city :)

akileese

Be safe all. Tornado warnings are legit this time. Sirens just went off in carrollton and Pete Delkus is telling people to take shelter up in the colony, Frisco, Plano.

Be safe all. Tornado warnings are legit this time. Sirens just went off in carrollton and Pete Delkus is telling people to take shelter up in the colony, Frisco, Plano.

Yeah, be safe out there.

I've been up since 3AM when I got a severe thunderstorm warning here at the eastern border of Tarrant county. Thankfully, it's died a lot down over here but I did hear that there's some wind damage up in Hurst, Richland Hills, Keller and Grapevine... basically NE Tarrant.

Shit's fncking wack though, it's the middle of fncking November and we're getting this mess? I'd honestly rather get a winter storm than this shit.

besada

Banned
Looks like we have some tree limbs down, and we got a shit pot of rain in a short time, but no hail. Strong winds, but the roof is still on.

akileese

Yeah, be safe out there.

I've been up since 3AM when I got a severe thunderstorm warning here at the eastern border of Tarrant county. Thankfully, it's died a lot down over here but I did hear that there's some wind damage up in Hurst, Richland Hills, Keller and Grapevine... basically NE Tarrant.

Shit's fncking wack though, it's the middle of fncking November and we're getting this mess? I'd honestly rather get a winter storm than this shit.

Talk was a tornado touched down in Lewisville on 121. We immediately ran to the tub and we could hear the ridiculously high winds outside despite being in the farthest interior of our apartment. The lights flickered a lot and it was 5 minutes that felt like an hour. I don't think I got back to bed until 530 or so. The scary thing was I had the bedroom window open but never even heard the sirens. My fiance heard them luckily.

Top Bottom