• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

JonnyKong

A Yoshi ride sounds rather too specific to me to be exciting. If they're going to make a dark ride based on the Mario universe, they may as well implement as many characters as they can going through various terrains, and ultimately ending up inside Bowser's castle with the man himself.

A Yoshi ride sounds rather too specific to me to be exciting. If they're going to make a dark ride based on the Mario universe, they may as well implement as many characters as they can going through various terrains, and ultimately ending up inside Bowser's castle with the man himself.

Yoshi would round out the attraction lineup quite well imo.

Yoshi - slow-paced cute dark ride aimed at kids

DK - Moderately thrilling (think Mummy) family coaster with a neat trick

Mario Kart - Prolly the closest to a "guided tour" ride. Will likely have an intensity between DK and Yoshi, along with the most intricate theming to give it the broadest appeal. I'm guessing Bowser's Castle will be the facade for this, but I'd be very surprised if Rainbow Road or other popular environments don't factor into the ride.

Gartooth

Yoshi would round out the attraction lineup quite well imo.

Yoshi - slow-paced cute dark ride aimed at kids

DK - Moderately thrilling (think Mummy) family coaster with a neat trick

Mario Kart - Prolly the closest to a "guided tour" ride. Will likely have an intensity between DK and Yoshi, along with the most intricate theming to give it the broadest appeal. I'm guessing Bowser's Castle will be the facade for this, but I'd be very surprised if Rainbow Road or other popular environments don't factor into the ride.

Mario Kart being located in Bowser's Castle is pretty interesting. I wonder if they are going to try to blend the Kart kind of ride experience with a more traditional Super Mario dark ride. (Ex: Rescue Peach from Bowser)

Regardless the Castle would make a fantastic queue. I also hope we see locations such as Mario Circuit and Rainbow Road rather than just one track.

Edit: Actually that sounds like what the Warp Pipe patent was for!

JonnyKong

How do people feel about vr on coasters?

I'm not a huge fan to be honest. I didn't enjoy it on Air at Alton Towers, and after watching a video just then of it on Kraken at Seaworld, I'm still not convinced.

RayStorm

How do people feel about vr on coasters?

I'm not a huge fan to be honest. I didn't enjoy it on Air at Alton Towers, and after watching a video just then of it on Kraken at Seaworld, I'm still not convinced.

Didn't do much for me at Batman: Arkham Asylum in Parque Warner Madrid either. Well, that's not quite true, it did some things: increase loading and thus waiting times and give me a set of badly crushed ears between the safety harness and the VR glasses.

Aside from that the implementation left a bit to be desired. I would imagine something more realistic than the basic mobile phone VR-game graphics I got. Also way more in the way of actual moving parts, explosions etc. And music, that was missing too.

I actually got to ride it two times in a row due to the VR-glasses not working the first time, and I have to say, riding it in complete Darkness was kind of better.

This actually seems strange when the concept art the first showed for Japan was clearly hiding the DK area.
Of course, plans always change with this things, and they still havent showed the DK area on the latest concept trailer so he is maybe right.

This actually seems strange when the concept art the first showed for Japan was clearly hiding the DK area.
Of course, plans always change with this things, and they still havent showed the DK area on the latest concept trailer so he is maybe right.

Yeah, some of the more informed folks on Inside Universal seem pretty adamant that Mario Kart, DK, and Yoshi being locks for Orlando. DK doesn't seem to be coming to Japan.

Goldrusher

Today is the first day Disneyland Paris is now 100% owned by The Walt Disney Company,

Euro-Disney was taken off the stock exchange yesterday, after TWDC bought out every shareholder over the past few years, which included the local government and multiple banks.

It's also the very first day TWDC actually fully owns a park outside of America.

Tokyo Disneyland is still owned and operated under license by The Oriental Land Company, while the parks in Hong Kong and Shanghai are partially owned by the local governments.

Goldrusher

So uh Walibi Belgium just announced 6 years / $100 million of new rides at once, including 3 coasters. :eek:

Basically every year until 2023 they will revamp an area of the park, and add new rides.

jrKkPOz.jpg

2018 sees a re-theme of the back of the park, with the addtion of a new Gerstlauer family coaster. The park's waterpark will get a new kids area.

In 2019 an area near the front of the park will get a similar makeover. New stuff here includes an interactive theater and a new restaurant.

In 2020 the western area sees the addition of a Mack Twist'n'Splash.

In 2021 a brand new area with a hypercoaster (omg!) which will be the biggest coaster in the Benelux. The area between existing coasters Vampire and Loup-Garou will be transformed into a Louisiana/Voodoo theme.

In 2022 a new theme for the area with the indoor shuttle loop and the log flume, with a new ride.

And finally in 2023 an expansion of the waterpark.

Xun

Considering I'll only be at DLP for a day, is Walt Disney Studios Park worth a visit?

From what I can gather I should probably give it a miss?

Goldrusher

Considering I'll only be at DLP for a day, is Walt Disney Studios Park worth a visit?

It's not a park where you want/can spend a full day.

Consider getting a ticket to both parks, then just ride Tower of Terror and Ratatouille, maybe Rock'n'RollerCoaster and Crush, before heading (back) to Disneyland.

gsrjedi

I think it also depends on the park hours. When I went a few years ago in November, DLP closed at 7, so I ended up missing out on seeing a bunch of stuff. I'd say if the park is open later then go to Studios ride Crush and Ratatouille. They're the best unique rides at Studios (although Epcot may get Ratatouille)

zeemumu

Finally got around to riding Mission Breakout. It was a ton of fun. Hell of a long wait though, but that's to be expected. There's a lot more to see in the queue than there was in Tower's

I can dig it. I mean, I'm not wild about it, but I can see where it's coming from.

The ride doesn't take place in 2017.

It's unsavory, but so are the pirates. They're assholes. Does this scene really bother people?

I think it's fine given the context, but then again, I'm also a dude. Plus, rapey subtext at a family theme park is a little ehh...

I think it's fine given the context, but then again, I'm also a dude. Plus, rapey subtext at a family theme park is a little ehh...

It's a ride where pirates assault a town filled with innocent people and damn near burn it to the ground for no good reason. Pretty sure they torture the mayor or whoever by dunking him underwater repeatedly. A lot of "bad" things happen in the ride, and one could argue that the "...a pirate's life for me!" is somehow condoning it. I'm surprised this scene in particular has been singled out.

zeemumu

It's a ride where pirates assault a town filled with innocent people and damn near burn it to the ground for no good reason. Pretty sure they torture the mayor or whoever by dunking him underwater repeatedly. A lot of "bad" things happen in the ride, and one could argue that the "...a pirate's life for me!" is somehow condoning it. I'm surprised this scene in particular has been singled out.
It hasn't. This isn't the first thing they've changed/removed for these reasons. There's also giving the women being chased around food and beer, or having them chase the pirates

It hasn't. This isn't the first thing they've changed/removed for these reasons. There's also giving the women being chased around food and beer, or having them chase the pirates

My bad.

Hopefully next they change the story so there's no glorification of pirates ravaging a city and its helpless inhabitants to get rich.

zeemumu

My bad.

Hopefully next they change the story so there's no glorification of pirates ravaging a city and its helpless inhabitants to get rich.

The whole glorification seems like something spawned from the films. The pre-Jack Sparrow ride was a cautionary tale about greed. That's what that whole thing with the skeletons and the cursed treasure is about. Then you go back in time and see what went down

That said I need to grab that pin before they stop selling it

aparisi2274

I'm sorry, but this Pirates change to the auction scene is just plain DUMB!

The ride is about Pirates... Pirates were scumbags. This is how they lived and how they acted.... the ride has been open for over 40yrs and now all of a sudden it's no longer appropriate... what a shameful day for the Disney company....

What next? They're gonna change the name of Dole Whip to something else because the word whip might be referred to Slaves or people into S&M...

PC bullshit needs to stop.

I'm sorry, but this Pirates change to the auction scene is just plain DUMB!

The ride is about Pirates... Pirates were scumbags. This is how they lived and how they acted.... the ride has been open for over 40yrs and now all of a sudden it's no longer appropriate... what a shameful day for the Disney company....

What next? They're gonna change the name of Dole Whip to something else because the word whip might be referred to Slaves or people into S&M...

PC bullshit needs to stop.

Bingo.

Next thing they'll change Haunted Mansion attic scene with the bride who keeps killing her husbands, and they'll get rid after the ride outside;
siEAhTL.jpg

Can't have spousal abuse!

Then next on the chopping block will be Splash Mountain where Brer Fox catches Brer Bear in a noose by accident, and then towards the end of the ride where Brer Fox has Brer Rabbit in one hand and a noose in the other. I don't think anyone cares because it's animals, but if it was people it never would've made it beyond the drawing board.

P.S. I'm against any of these changes.

They already changed Pirates where the one Pirate chases after a Lady, they reversed the platform they are on, and she now chases him with a broom instead.

zeemumu

Bingo.

Next thing they'll change Haunted Mansion attic scene with the bride who keeps killing her husbands, and they'll get rid after the ride outside;
siEAhTL.jpg

Then next on the chopping block will be Splash Mountain where Brer Fox catches Brer Bear in a noose by accident, and then towards the end of the ride where Brer Fox has Brer Rabbit in one hand and a noose in the other. I don't think anyone cares because it's animals, but if it was people it never would've made it beyond the drawing board.

P.S. I'm against any of these changes.

They already changed Pirates where the one Pirate chases after a Lady, they reversed the platform they are on, and she now chases him with a broom instead.

There's some irony in this. The bride in the attic is probably one of the most recent alterations to the mansion aside from Hatbox Ghost returning, and there are a lot of things that had to be altered to even allow Splash Mountain to exist (the removal of virtually anything having to do with the live action slavery bits of that movie, changing the tar to honey, etc.)

And as for Bluebeard, that's kinda the point of Bluebeard so I don't see anyone getting upset over that as long as they don't add "Had literal room of corpses" to the description.

I think giving her a gun and making her a pirate would be pretty cool.

Xun

It's a shame they're changing it since it shows pirates behaving exactly as they would be behaving, even if it's not politically correct.

I'm certainly not outraged like some though.

Edit: This shouldn't stop me from riding Pirates in Paris on the 31st July, right?

It's not a park where you want/can spend a full day.

Consider getting a ticket to both parks, then just ride Tower of Terror and Ratatouille, maybe Rock'n'RollerCoaster and Crush, before heading (back) to Disneyland.

I think it also depends on the park hours. When I went a few years ago in November, DLP closed at 7, so I ended up missing out on seeing a bunch of stuff. I'd say if the park is open later then go to Studios ride Crush and Ratatouille. They're the best unique rides at Studios (although Epcot may get Ratatouille)
Thats what I thought, thanks guys!

It was the 1700's. Pirates were assholes. If anything the mid-00's refurb having Jack sitting on gold instead of the pirates ending up in jail made things worse.

Hell that whole refurb semi-ruined the ride. It'd probably be better off if they went back to square one and do a massive overhaul to mimic the one in Shanghai.

Xun

It was the 1700's. Pirates were assholes. If anything the mid-00's refurb having Jack sitting on gold instead of the pirates ending up in jail made things worse.

Hell that whole refurb semi-ruined the ride. It'd probably be better off if they went back to square one and do a massive overhaul to mimic the one in Shanghai.
No thank you.

Whilst the Shanghai ride is impressive, it lacks the charm that made the original so great.

zeemumu

They didn't get rid of the jail part.

Looks like the Magic Kingdom is getting a Tron Lightcycle coaster. Its going to replace the Tomorrowland Speedway.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/07/confi...-replace-tomorrowland-speedway-magic-kingdom/
I'm fine with this but I kept imaging Tron having a presence in Epcot. Like if they're putting IP in Epcot they could at least go halfway with edutainment. With Tron's aesthetic being inspired by PCB and transistor design, it would've been a good opportunity to have electronics be something people learn about even if the IP itself never explained any of it. There's such basic things to electronics that people don't know, it would seem like such a no-brainer thing to talk about.

flyover

I'm fine with this but I kept imaging Tron having a presence in Epcot.
I like that idea. It would fit really well, especially with how Epcot felt in its earlier days.

But like others have said, the Speedway is wasted space. So that's fine, too. Just don't ever get rid of the Peoplemover, Disney. That's all I ask.

I think the change on pirates is dumb because it was 1700 and the pirates were terrible people, even when spin as a comedic effect in the ride. Its like changing history books so kids cant be offended of all the terrible shit we did as humanity. No. They should know about it, and the should learn how to change it in real life for the future not being the same.

If they really wanted more woman of action presence in the ride, hey should have created a pirate woman ravaging with the other pirates as a new scenes, becuase pirate women existed and they were terrible people just as male pirates, and that scene is actually something I would have liked to see. Just adding a gun to the redhead and changing a little the auction scene is cheap and stupid. As bad as adding Jack Sparrow everywhere.

Now, the tron lightcycle news. Finally disney does something with head and actually retires a ride that nobody like it and was a big waste of space to add something cool.

Bingo.

siEAhTL.jpg

Wouldnt be surprised they actually changed the "some fat, some thin" line in the near future.

JonnyKong

Any UK gaffers keeping up to date with the progress of the new woody over at Alton Towers?

I'm excited to see what it's "secret" will be, plus whatever the hell the theming is going to be.

Yeah, that Barbosa effect is pretty cool... I wonder if WDW or DL will be getting that effect as well...

That could be a nice addition even to the current Barbossa scene, I don't think it would be too hard.

Heck if they were okay with a big change they could probably project onto the ship as well and have it flash into a ghostship/blackpearl.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
some of the Star Wars Land comments from this week lead me to believe a couple things:

-You decide if you're with the First Order or with the Resistance.
-Both rides allow you to live that fantasy out, one way or the other...

They've talked about the Falcon simulator being a "customized" mission --- so assuming that means it reacts to you and it's whether you are members of the Resistance borrowing the Falcon, or members of the First Order stealing it?

The battle ride puts you in the middle of the battle, so you could be on either side (and it sounds like you get to role play and have an impact)?

interesting stuff, making it work operationally will be real interesting to see

Any UK gaffers keeping up to date with the progress of the new woody over at Alton Towers?

I'm excited to see what it's "secret" will be, plus whatever the hell the theming is going to be.

Its a GCI so im really interested of what the do. Aso, with the are is in and the marquees they are using, im pretty sure the theme is pirates.

Ultra Detailed photos from SW Land coming to DHS and DL in 2019/2020...

Looks really nice.

In other news the refurbished Paris version of POTC with the auction changed and such was opened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKCa2n3MaJw
Barbossa is pretty cool.

No a big fan. The aution scene, i though they would at least do something smart about making a powerful female pirate on that scene with the redhead, but now all the joke is gone, is just another pilling scene of the ride, that mixes with all the rest of pilaging scenes.
If they really wanted to change it;
Auctioneer: Do I hear six? six for this great treasure from the house of blablabla...
Drunk Sailors: We wants the redhead!
Redhead (pointing the gun and shooting): Shut your filthy mouths or instead of treasure you are going to buy a nice bullet to your head! So who really wants to buy our excellent cargo?!

You keep the pirates being still shitty pirates, you keep the redhead joke, and you make the redhead a powerful woman that could wreck your shit at any moment.

But nope, they just went the safest shitty way, out with the jokes completely, the redhead just stoods there holding the gun. Wow. So much thought put into it disney, bravo.

Also Barbossa alone in the cave makes little to no sense, even if the skin effect is cool.
Im glad I could visit the ride without before any movie nonsense was added to it.

some of the Star Wars Land comments from this week lead me to believe a couple things:

-You decide if you're with the First Order or with the Resistance.
-Both rides allow you to live that fantasy out, one way or the other...

They've talked about the Falcon simulator being a "customized" mission --- so assuming that means it reacts to you and it's whether you are members of the Resistance borrowing the Falcon, or members of the First Order stealing it?

The battle ride puts you in the middle of the battle, so you could be on either side (and it sounds like you get to role play and have an impact)?

interesting stuff, making it work operationally will be real interesting to see
This and Mario Kart are brining the A game during those years. Lets see who makes this amnitious projects better, Im scared one is going to fail masivelly becuase of how hard its going to make this technology work with fgood operations.

That was such a crappy shoehorn excuse "Peter Quill" came to EPCOT as a kid, so now we bring the Guardians of the Galaxy to EPCOT today.

Top Bottom