• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking of selling PS4 for Xbox One... Will I regret it?

Follow the exclusives you want to play.

I can't quite understand why you didn't get a One over a PS4 in the first place. You vastly prefer all their exclusives.

jdstorm

Banned
Op. Depends how you feel about Sony's upcoming exclusives.

If you want to play them its probably better just to wait a few months and buy an Xbox 1 after it starts getting drastic price cuts due to the S and the Scorpio.

With Microsofts commitment to bringing your game library forward, unless you absolutely must play It right now you can wait on Xbox games and they will still be easily Availiable years from now

TheShocker

I have both systems. I really enjoy both, with my PS4 being mainly for Sony exclusives. The things I enjoy more about my Xbox by far outweigh graphical differences. XBL, controller, friends, overall ecosystem, ect. Plus, having everything on my external hard drive is going to make my translation to the Scorpio easier.

That said, I would hold onto your PS4 and look to get a cheap Xbox one. There are tons out there.

Salty Hippo

lol at the reluctancy of many here to give a straight, obvious answer. I mean:

Would be interested in hearing some opinions on this..

Let me start by saying that my favorite games/series are typically from Nintendo. Over the last few years I've enjoyed my Wii U quite a bit. But, between now and next March, there is not going to be much software output from them. I know I'll more than likely be there day 1 for NX and the new Zelda (I know we don't know what NX is, but it'll play Nintendo games, so I'm in.)

That being said - I've also had a PS4 since shortly after it was released. Looking at my trophies, I can see that a vast majority of the games I've spent time with and enjoyed on my PS4 were multi-platform games that I could have gotten on an Xbox One. Don't get me wrong, my PS4 has been a great system but....

I think I would prefer to play some of the exclusives on Xbox. Games like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, RARE Replay, the HALO series and Dead Rising 3/4 look great. Meanwhile, aside from Horizon: Zero Dawn and No Man's Sky, there isn't all that much upcoming that I'm interested in. As a bonus, most of my friends are on Xbox which means if I ever want to play with them online I'd have to make a switch.

With all the deals going on right now for Xbone, I could basically trade in or sell my PS4, games and controllers and walk away with a Xbone. I could play through a bunch of these exclusives between now and March when NX comes out, then just keep it for the occasional multi-platform I really want (like Red Dead 3...)

I only hesitation is I think I might look back a year from now after some amazing Sony exclusive is announced and seriously regret it. I considered just having both, but I barely have time for 2 consoles let alone 3.

So, what should I do?

(For the record, I don't doubt they are both great systems, so this isn's a system warz thread)

I have no idea why you went with PS4 in the first place if those are the exclusives that interest you and if that's where your friends are.

Just sell all your PS4 multiplats for an Xbox One, and keep the PS4 strictly for the exclusives. You might as well play where your friends are even if you're playing the slightly inferior version.

There's a lot of great indie and Japanese exclusives on PS4 that are worth playing. You can at least rent or demo before completely writing them off. While they are far away, God of War and Spiderman are additional titles that would be worth keeping PS4 around for.

Xbox One does have some really good exclusives, but you don't have to give up PS4 just for that.

As far as Nintendo goes, day one hype for NX is very strange to see from burned Wii U users. That excitement is very mystifying.

I'd suggest just picking up an Xbox one dirt cheap used or on via one of the many sales. Worst comes to worst, you sell one down the road.

I switched with Halo 5 and I'm loving it. Can't argue that Xbox's exclusives are more often and have been much better (except Bloodborne) and that sweet, sweet controller. Follow your heart, but the Xbox is really cool.

jjonez18

Well if nothing much has been announced or has released already from an exclusive standpoint that interests you then the system is just not for you. Get the Xbox One.

malfcn

cruz_1469065406981_42828939_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Being able to play with your friends and having more interest in the exclusives offered by Xbox is a good enough reason to hop ship.

Why not wait for Scorpio though? Check out Horizon and No Man's Sky first, then trade in. Best of both worlds.

i'd say go for it if all your friends are on xbox but i am pretty sure you will regret it. Xbox One is slightly less powerful than ps4 so a lot of multiplat games run at 900p instead of 1080p (admittedly you may not notice). PSN store sales so far seem superior to xbox store sales. I have both and a PC and my xbox one is pretty much just a forza machine at this point, and my PC will be running Forza Horizon 3 I think (will buy digital so I get cross play).

Of the exclusives, only Forza series is the one I'd say is outstanding, whereas a number of PS4 exclusives have been GOTY tier for me - TLOU, Uncharted series, Bloodborne, etc.

Ideally you'd pick up a scorpion next year and keep your PS4 as an exclusives machine, but if money is tight I'd say sell/trade your PS4 now, pick up an xbox one S next month or a discounted xbone now, and then maybe rebuy a new PS4 Neo next year after a few exclusives like Horizon Dawn and Last Guardian and FF7 Remaster are out.

jdstorm

Banned
As far as Nintendo goes, day one hype for NX is very strange to see from burned Wii U users. That excitement is very mystifying.

I'd say the Burned Wii U users are the vocal minority of Nintendo fans. It was tough to have a WiiU as your only console in the early days. But if you stuck with it or bought one later after The library had grown you'd be incredibly happy with it.

For Most with another way of playing 3rd party games the Wii U is the standout console of the generation

Floody

I'm sure it's been said already, but I'd just wait for the Scorpio, the PS4 has a really strong next 12+ months and in that time you could save up for the Scorpio and play the Xbox games at a higher quality, if the Scorpio is still out your price range, the regular XB1s price will probably be much lower post Scorpio, so just get one then.

SRTtoZ

Na, just save up and buy one on the cheap. People are selling them like crazy and you can probably find one for $150-200 used. If you sell your PS4 and regret it then you'll be losing a bit more money re-buying it.

Just wait for the S to drop and get one of those sweet sweet clearanced out original Xbox Ones. The system keeps getting cheaper and cheaper and there's probably still plenty on inventory, you'll be able to have both for under $200

Bioshocker

I think I would prefer to play some of the exclusives on Xbox. Games like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, RARE Replay, the HALO series and Dead Rising 3/4 look great.

I think this answers your question. You can play the same multiplats on Xbox One so the difference between the two platforms is what exclusives are available (including indies). I own both and I wouldn't want to be without either of them, but you should go for the console with the exclusives you want the most.

Seems silly to buy any console right now to me with Neo and Scorpio right around the corner. I definitely wouldn't want to be stuck with the single worst version of multiplat games.

I'd wait for Scorpio personally, unless X1 exclusives are a majority of what you want to play for the next year.

I had an Xbox One only for well over a year and didn't really feel like I missed much. Now I have a PS4 as well and don't feel like I see much of a difference when I bounce between them. Honestly, I'm much more excited about Xbox's exclusive lineup in 2016, but that could change for 2017. I wouldn't say you're foolish for going Microsoft only.

The more I read the responses, the more I think the right answer is to just have both.

I've been saying for years that I wouldn't go back to owning all of the consoles again since I have less time to play games... but that's the only way I get my cake and eat it too.

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated.

I have both, and I dont regret it at all. I play them prety much both equally now, pluse I dont have to get all in a tissy when a third party exclusive is announced. Best of both worlds, but ive been a multi console owner since the ps2 era where I had that and a gamecube, than a 360 and ps3, now and xbox one and ps4. By 2018, Id imagine that will
Be scorpio and neo

Unknown?

Sony has more exclusive akin to Nintendo titles though with a much bigger selection of all varieties . Those Xbox games are the complete opposite of what you'd find on a Wii U. Tell us what genres you like and make sure you aren't just viewing what you don't have as greener grass.

You get the system for the games you want to play. If that's Xbox One games, then you get an Xbox One. Pretty simple.

Yea. What Begaria said pretty much.

Best case you can eventually get them all like I'm trying. Only Wii U left for me at this point.

Ehh tie ratio seems healthy enough considering the sparsity of new retail releases. Wii U owners seem pretty willing to buy 1st party software, as evidenced by things like Mario Kart 8 outselling all but seven 3DS games despite having 20% of the user base and Splatoon, outside of the Wii series, being their most successful new IP since like... Animal Crossing 15 years ago. Demonstrates that Wii U owners are actively buying new games and probably fairly happy with their purchases.

Anecdotal and all that, but I think the negative opinions surrounding NX come mostly from lapsed Nintendo fans who haven't been happy with a Nintendo product since the Gamecube.

Play Anywhere means he can play with Xbox users. At least for many of the fall games (Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4; Scalebound also supports this feature but that launches next year).

There really isn't any reason to own an Xbox if you have a gaming PC outside of you just wanting to own an Xbox - all the functionality you would want for the Xbox exclusives is available to PC users now. If OP's concerned with the userbase for competitive MP, he's better off sticking with his PS4.

Serious question. A large group of posters seem to shit on the quality of the Windows 10 store/ performance of the games. Yet people mention there is no need to buy an XBOX ONE if you have a gaming PC.

So it seems that you shouldn't buy an XBOX ONE because all the games are on pc, but you shouldnt buy them on pc because they have performance issues according to some posters. It seems like a never ending loop?

Serious question. A large group of posters seem to shit on the quality of the Windows 10 store/ performance of the games. Yet people mention there is no need to buy an XBOX ONE if you have a gaming PC.

So it seems that you shouldn't buy an XBOX ONE because all the games are on pc, but you shouldnt buy them on pc because they have performance issues according to some posters. It seems like a never ending loop?
I think there's this pre conceived notion that if something isn't on Steam it's anti consumer and that's where the hate comes from.

Matthew23

Having owned both I don't think you can go wrong either way. I will say that building up a new games library is expensive. If you have 360 BC games that would be a plus.

I want to echo this. How good is your PC, and how much to you (or do you not) mind Win10 stuff? With Microsoft announcing future first-party stuff coming to UWA that might help you out. If you're like me who gave up on having a current-spec PC years ago you could go with the X1, but you might want to wait a few months for the Slim to come out. You'll probably save $50-100 on the old model and could get a new for what a used costs currently.
Having owned both I don't think you can go wrong either way. I will say that building up a new games library is expensive. If you have 360 BC games that would be a plus.
Aah, this as well. Not sure what your lastgen preference was.

Much late edit:
Vote for ur conscience
lol

Nope do it. Xbox has great collection of games too. Horizon is next year, you might as well get Neo for that.
Horizon 3 comes out this September.

Edit: doh! Just realized you meant Horizon: Zero Dawn. My mistake.

Hard to say OP. Horizon is great, backwards compatibility is a plus. For my tastes PS4 stands head and shoulders above the Xbox, but I think I would have been content either way if I had settled on one or the other. But the grass will always look greener on the other side from time to time.

I ended up getting them both. PS4 for most games, and Xbox for racing mostly, Forza Motorsport and Horizon (Horizon 3 will own my ass later this year), though I've also loved Sunset Overdrive and have to make time to revisit Red Dead Redemption at some point. They both have their strengths.

DJKhaled

I own both and much prefer the Xbox One, it's all down to you, I rarely use the PS4 because it's download speeds are terrible for some reason. So i'd say you wouldn't regret it, but everyone is different.

gbland

Don't ever sell your hardware. EVER. You'll regret it. If you can afford an xbox one, then get one. They go by cheap these days.

Novocaine

Obviously if you have the option to keep your PS4 and get an Xbox as well do that.

It sounds like you want to play more of the Xbox exclusives so I don't think you'll be disappointed with a trade. And if you are, you can always get another PS4.

I have both systems but I have taken to buying multiplats on Xbox now. The PS4 will not be going away anytime soon because of Bloodborne and soon Persona 5. But I spend the vast majority of my time on Xbox now, especially with that sweet Elite pad.

Atomski

I sold my PS4 when moving over seas. Honestly havent missed it at all..

Outside of Bloodborne it really collected dust while I was playing PC games. It cost like 500 dollars for s ps4 over here so i havent had the urge to grab a new one at all..

jdstorm

Banned

I think it tends to turn into recommendations to buy 3rd party's on steam and exclusives on W10

Coxy100

Banned
I sold my PS4 for my xb1 last year. I do regret it in the sense that I sold my games too. Don't sell your games - just the console!

Now I'm looking forward to buying a PS4 for Christmas I hope - and I've started to get some games back ready...

i must admit whilst I have been an Xbox 'fan' since halo (and only had their consoles since until the ps4) the exclusives seem a bit tired now - and not as quality as they once were. Sony are more unique with their exclusives.

Good luck with what you choose OP :)

Cranster

Banned
Don't sell the PS4 but save up little by little and get an Xbox when you can. No need to rush, you can play its great exclusives in a year just as well.
I think this is a good suggestion. However if you you don't want to wait long to purchase an Xbox ONe I would wait to take advantage of some trade in deals for the 2TB Xbox One Slim console that is out on August 2nd.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't know what you want people to say OP. If you want those exclusives, i'd say go for it.

I personally see more value in the PS4's exclusive library coming up, but if none of those games interest you, there's no reason to hang onto the PS4 just because you might one day regret not owning one for some reason. Also, your friends are important to your playtime, so if they are all on Xbox, you should go there if you want to play with them.

After owning both a 360 and PS3 last gen, i quit being a multi console owner. Its so annoying having to keep up with so many games, and not having the other console really makes it easy to focus on building a singualar library without worrying about what platform i should buy on for what reasons. And its much easier now that live and PSN are both paid services, to skip out. No way am i paying for both

Broman1978

Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 is just up for release and you got plenty of games to catch up with so I would do it. Sold my PS4 and play almost every multiplatform on Xbox anyway. Will buy a Neo though later on =)
Buy now and trade it in for a Scorpio in the end of next year =)

Why not just wait for the Scorpio? That way you can play better performing multiplats on your ps4 for now, and then on the Scorpio when that comes out. Unless you want to start playing with your friends asap.

pswii60

If you prefer the exclusives, GO FOR IT.

I regret selling my Xbox One for a PS4, I prefer the Xbone exclusives more. I just got a PS4 because others kept saying it was better in a lot of ways, but I had no fun playing Street Fighter V or Uncharted 4.

Miss my Halo, Gears, and Banjo Kazooie...
There's a Banjo game?

WaterAstro

Sony announced more NEW games than anyone else at E3, and a lot of them are exclusives. Take that for what it's worth.

madmackem

It depends how much money you have, Xbox deals will be insane no doubt soon with the s launching if you're that short then trade it in but if you can afford it keep it for exclusives as its not worth losing so much on a console.

Top Bottom