• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking of selling PS4 for Xbox One... Will I regret it?

zarmena

It's all down to exclusives. I switched from PS2 to Xbox 360 to PS3/PS4. I prefer Sony's exclusives but back when I got an Xbox,I preferred Microsoft's. You'll only regret it if you're not enjoying what the system has to offer.

Elixist

keep the ps4, there will likely be surprise exclusives that will appeal to you, smaller games etc. and find a cheap used bone after S drops

EGM1966

Sounds like the best move OP.

As a PC/PS4 owner id say the only reason to own an Xbox One is if you're friends are on the ecosystem and/or you want the exclusives. Sounds like you qualify!

It's a fine enough console TBH so long as the reasons for owning it outweigh the main remaining drawback: essentially least superior versions of multi-platform games.

anothertech

What games do you play on PS4?

You mentioned mostly 3rd party games, so it's important to know if you still play those and which ones. Most 3rd party AAA games at the moment perform significantly better on the PS4. This is the only reason I can see you regretting the decision.

If you are like some though, and can't see resolution diff, or frame drops don't bother you, it wont be a big deal.

Also, you may want to wait a month or two for the Xbone price drops, once the lower priced Slim is out. Deals on the OG Bone will prob be crazy this November too as they clear out stock.

I don't see the point in selling your PS4 if there are still a few games you want to play on it. Definitely seems like Xbox One would serve you better, but the solution here, imo, is to just have both.

Justinh

Probably, I have always regretted selling a console.
Yeah, I think this is the way I look at things.
The more I read the responses, the more I think the right answer is to just have both.

I've been saying for years that I wouldn't go back to owning all of the consoles again since I have less time to play games... but that's the only way I get my cake and eat it too.

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure saving up and keeping the PS4 is the best option, otherwise there might be a time in future when you'll find yourself wanting a PS4 again. I mean... unless you were planning on getting a NEO anyways. Now I'm conflicted...

Xbox One has decent deals all the time now anyways. You can get a new Xbox One with a bunch of games (name your game bundle) for less than 3 hundo (cheaper than what a Wii U would cost new with a game -only checking Amazon, Best Buy and Target). I imagine they'll get even better come later in the year when the Xbox One S 500 GB model is released.

cireza

I personally prefer Xbox One exclusives. I also had a PS4, but sold it, and I don't regret it.

You can always buy a cheap PS4 at the end of the gen if you really want to play that one game that was exclusive.

goonergaz

Just pick up a cheap XBO 2nd hand and have the best of both worlds...personally (for me anyway) most XB 'exclusives' are on PC anyway so...

Not only that you know there will be some good stuff coming to PS4 (Dreams/Kojima game/ND next game etc) and multis will be better.

So you sell your PS4 then you really want to play No Mans sky, Horizon and other titles that will come out you want to play because you can't and then once you've played those Xbox games you'll be wishing you kept the PS4 again. It's a cycle that doesn't end.

Wise advice; keep your PS4 and buy a cheap XBone when you can afford to.

barit

You'll regret it. Owner of both.

This. I think if you really go from PS4 to Xbone you will be in for a shock of how slow and frustrating the Xbone experience can be. Especially all those install times will left you annoyed. But maybe there are other functions that will amaze you like err .. Kinect? Well, you will make the right decision. I believe in you OP.

Minions

I don't know. You can always buy the PS4 back after. Personally I have a decent pc, ps4, wii u, and the xbox one. I kinda regret buying the Xbox One at this point (bought it a little over a year ago). Had I known all the games would be released on PC, I wouldn't have spent the money on the Xbox One.

Honestly,id keep the Ps4.Obviously your own choice but much prefer the Ps4s exclusives....my viewpoint is probably tainted against Xbox One though as I've a great gaming PC and see less and less point in my Xbox One

I'll never understand these threads. These aren't expensive boxes we're talking about. There's no need to sell one off to afford the other, and you're going to want the PS4 again someday. Keep the PS4. Buy the Xbox One.

Or lose money in the trade-off.

goonergaz

This. I think if you really go from PS4 to Xbone you will be in for a shock of how slow and frustrating the Xbone experience can be. Especially all those install times will left you annoyed. But maybe there are other functions that will amaze you like err .. Kinect? Well, you will make the right decision. I believe in you OP.

Yeah, I have to say I'm underwhelmed and I kept my PS4 - I mean, the instal times are a joke - EVERYTHING needs to be installed...on PS4 most games just work or need just a small install but on XBO it seems everything I chuck in requires a long installation. Then updates - I couldn't play Forza Horizon 2 without a 5gb update - not sure if it's just that game, but usually you can skip those updates if you play offline - but not with that game.

NEO0MJ

All I'll say on the matter is that I usually have more fun with KI than SF V.

I'll never understand these threads. These aren't expensive boxes we're talking about. There's no need to sell one off to afford the other, and you're going to want the PS4 again someday. Keep the PS4. Buy the Xbox One.

Or lose money in the trade-off.

Not everyone feels comfortable just throwing away $350+. If they did more people here would have a Wii U.

driver116

I'm fortunate to have PS4 and Xbox One sat alongside each other.
The Xbox One OS is a mess and IMO gets in the way of the games - and this on the latest update. It's just out right frustrating to use. Install times are a joke too. You'll miss the snappiness and simplicity of the PS4 I would think.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'd get the xbox one. there are games on it you want to play and that's where your friends are. when ever anyone asks what console they should get that's what i say to them...get the one that has the exclusives you want to play and the one your friends have.

if sony do end up having a load of exclusive titles you want to play then just hold off until you are satisfied you've fully experienced all the Xbox One exclusives and there are enough new exclusives on Playstation to justify buying a new console.

I've had a PS4 since 2013 but ended up buying an XB1 a while back because it had Halo 1-5, Sunset Overdrive, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Forza Horizons 2 + Motorsport 6. Once I played all them I sold it and went back to my PS4 where I am now playing Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne.

dealer-

I wouldn't sell the PS4 as I think you will regret it. It sounds like you've used it a lot and enjoyed it and there will be some more great exclusives during its life time.

Just buy an Xbox One if you have to, they are pretty cheap at the moment.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wouldn't it make sense for the OP to hold fire for about a month until live reports of the Xbone S are in, and hardcore xbox fans have had a chance to trade up to the new system?

I'd imagine you'd be able to find used OG Xbones selling for a great price, as well as new stock at clearance prices with the new model on the way in.

Now, seems like a bad time to buy.

Ploid 3.0

I have never sold a console to buy another from the same generation. It just seems like a loss unless a friend will straight up trade the system and random games for your system and random games. I did that in the nes era, but temporarily traded.

Maybe rent a system you want for a bit while saving up to buy one if you're still interested by then.

Stop buying new games at launch, redbox some. Go in money saver mode.

Shatohin

Neo Member
Of course you will regret it.
Sony and their product team is hot this generation. Better hardware and design since day 1.
Lots of exclusives, tons of new and indy stuff, new products like VR etc.
Xbox just trying to catch up for the last 3 years. Thats it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Do whatever works for you. If you don't want Sony's exclusive and games from Japan, go for it.

Of course once the S model comes out prices on the current model will continue to fall. Unless you don't want an extra piece of hardware, I don't think it would be a financial stretch to simply add it to your collection.

pastrami

Will you regret it? Maybe. Grass is always greener and all that jazz. But you have a solid list of reasons to switch. I say go for it, but I don't know you or your gaming preferences.

You can get a refurbished or pre-owned Xbox One for pretty cheap. Honestly, even if you'd rarely use it, I'd suggest holding on to the PS4. You never know what exclusives are going to come out in the future.

occelinho

Well, great exclusives are coming for both consoles so I would keep my PS4 and get a Xbox additionally.

But if that's not possible for you, then you should definitely follow your heart and get a Xbox if you prefer these exclusives.

You prefer the games, your mates are all on xbone, do the right thing and join them.

The question is whether you sell your ps4 or wait a couple of weeks for a really cheap deal on OG Xbones and keep both consoles but that's one only you can answer.

a.wd

own both, and haven't touched PS4 for a while, also multiplats do not perform amazingly better on PS4, but my family enjoys all the media functions and with BC opening up the library even further the XB1 is a tidy machine.

Trup1aya

OP, I'd probably try to keep the PS4 and find a cheap xb1 if I were you.

That said, this forum can't possibly give you good advice, because everyone is thinking about their own situation.

With Scorpio coming, I'm not sure why anyone would actually buy an Xbox One... doesn't make much sense

Because you want to play Xbox games now?
Because you don't to pay whatever premium Scorpio will cost?
Because you can get one for fairly cheap?
Because you want to upgrade from last gen, but still play BC games?

It makes plenty of sense

Duxxy3

So you prefer the exclusives on one system and that's where your friends already are?

Seems like an easy choice.

goonergaz

I have never sold a console to buy another from the same generation. It just seems like a loss unless a friend will straight up trade the system and random games for your system and random games. I did that in the nes era, but temporarily traded.

This. I once traded my C64 and games for a Master System and games - the novelty soon wore off and 'buyers remorse' hit me like a train. That was an expensive lesson.

Stop buying new games at launch, redbox some. Go in money saver mode.

Yep, this is what I do now - just the really must haves at launch

I picked up a second hand xbox one a few weeks ago.
Really like it.

Very well built machine and the exclusives are very good.

I also own a PS4.

With Microsoft's 'play anywhere' program for Xbox titles, I would abandon the console route and go PC. Sell the Ps4 and configure a gaming rig around what level you want to play at( low, mid, high end).

LAA

I wouldn't sell a PS4 for it no.
I'd rather keep both.
X1 has some exclusives worth trying, but don't think it's worth trading off the PS4 advantages for.

You're not interested in one of the best games coming out in 2016? Whatever floats your boat.

E8CTRZy.gif

Top Bottom