• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

PtM

Banned
Hi guys I don't know where I can ask this so here it goes..

I'm moving to an apartment building, and the WiFi there is shared, that's not good for my games! Tough we have cable TV there, my question is, can I connect a modem to the tv cable and get Ethernet there?

My understanding is that both TV and internet run through the same cable, is that correct?
Usually, no. Maybe there is internet over cable, but why would it if you already have WLAN.
My OG 3DS' Circle pad skin is out. It's pretty worn out too. Should I try to glue it back?
As long as you don't use too much glue, I guess.

Estocolmo

I just bought Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition for Xbox One.

I got a steel cover version with an art book and the game inside.

Is this steel cover edition the only version of the game? Isn't there a regular physical version of the copy with regular case and disc?

I just bought Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition for Xbox One.

I got a steel cover version with an art book and the game inside.

Is this steel cover edition the only version of the game? Isn't there a regular physical version of the copy with regular case and disc?

There is a standard version. What country are you in?

I'm sure I could find a retailer link to a normal version for you if you wanted.

I'm actually kind of curious about this steel cover you refer to. Is it a metallic slipcover?

Doofcake

Do these games benefit in some form from that? Visually or performance wise?

A lot of those are small bugfixes, almost never visual improvements, sometimes small performance improvements. Recently the updates have more to do with VR support.
EDIT: Whoops double post, thought I was in a different thread. Sorry.

Estocolmo

There is a standard version. What country are you in?

I'm sure I could find a retailer link to a normal version for you if you wanted.

I'm actually kind of curious about this steel cover you refer to. Is it a metallic slipcover?

Sweden. I just want the regular edition, no steel book edition.

This is what it looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo0ViP_uC1M

Appreciate your answer. I really want the regular edition.

phyrlord

I think I asked this before in here some where. I don't think I ever found out why.

Why did they change the max ammo in the shotgun in "Left 4 dead 2" to hold about half the ammo then in "Left 4 dead 1". It's insanely annoying.

Sweden. I just want the regular edition, no steel book edition.

This is what it looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo0ViP_uC1M

Appreciate your answer. I really want the regular edition.

Huh this is actually kind of challenging lol

So it looks like Germany banned/blocked the definitive edition of sleeping dogs outright?

Which explains why amazon.de doesn't sell it.

I think you may be on to something though as Amazon UK, Game UK and Amazon France all only seem to sell the art book version of the game.

Perhaps in Europe that is actually the only physical release of it???

In the US, we also have a more standard release that can be seen in this ebay listing.

Technically both the PS4 and XB1 are region-free now so you could in theory import one if they really don't exist in Europe but that would likely be overly expensive :(

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful and I hope I'm wrong about EU not getting a standard version for your sake.

Goodlife

Is there anywhere legit I can buy codes for Xbox one digital games?
Want to be digital only, but the MS store seems crazy over priced

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Did EA remove all the Tiger Woods content from the Playstation Store after they dropped Tiger from their games? Went to go buy some courses for The Masters 2014 and there is no Tiger Woods games at all.

Lagamorph

Does the DS version of Chrono Trigger have the anime cut scenes from the PS1 version?
And are there any differences between the European and US DS releases other than the European one coming out a year later?

I'm trying to play MGS2 from the Legacy Collection on PS3, but there is no sound. The problem is not the PS3 or the TV because other games have sound. There are no audio options. The system is hooked up through HDMI. Help!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If I play Wolfenstein: The Old Blood before The New Order, how much will it be spoiled since im not playing them in the order of them being released?

Does the DS version of Chrono Trigger have the anime cut scenes from the PS1 version?
And are there any differences between the European and US DS releases other than the European one coming out a year later?

It does have the anime cutscenes, you can turn them off though. (No idea if this was possible in the PS1 version.)

Apart from the available languages there's no difference. And even the languages are a big maybe, I know there are no German texts in the EU version at least, so maybe even that is the same.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm trying to play MGS2 from the Legacy Collection on PS3, but there is no sound. The problem is not the PS3 or the TV because other games have sound. There are no audio options. The system is hooked up through HDMI. Help!

Hmm...never heard of that problem. Did the game install anything to the HDD? Or a patch? Try deleting that and reinstall.

If I play Wolfenstein: The Old Blood before The New Order, how much will it be spoiled since im not playing them in the order of them being released?

The Old Blood is a prequel to the New Order so nothing story related will be spoiled at all. At most, a few references will be lost on you, but you will pick up on them when playing TNO after anyway.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The Old Blood is a prequel to the New Order so nothing story related will be spoiled at all. At most, a few references will be lost on you, but you will pick up on them when playing TNO after anyway.

Great. Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Something has been bothering me about the PS+ store for months...

So I go to this page with the intent of checking out the free plus games

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-plus/

But when I click on a game, it takes me here https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...splusmember:PS/USPLAYSTATION/PLAYSTATION-PLUS

Like I don't already have PS+...

Then I always have to search up each game individually to check them out. Is there any kind of page that just lists all of the current free PS+ games and has them ready for you to add to your cart?

RoadDogg

Can Metroid krawl?

Yes, the Gamma Metroid's main form of movement is c(k)rawling.

c1e7e211247613a92049692bf4579c2e.jpg

So I finally solved the problem. For whatever reason, I had to go into the PS3 sound settings and disable Dolby Digital. Now the disc has sound.

I'm trying to sort/organize my old video game stuff, and came across this thing I would like to identify:

nGZyqmp.jpg

It looks like something for the Wii (I don't have a Wii U) or possibly DS Lite. Probably some kind of cleaning tool?

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I guess I should have put something that shows the size, it's about 3.5"

quesalupa

I'm trying to sort/organize my old video game stuff, and came across this thing I would like to identify:

nGZyqmp.jpg

It looks like something for the Wii (I don't have a Wii U) or possibly DS Lite. Probably some kind of cleaning tool?

Anyone have any ideas?
Maybe a gold club attachment?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Does anyone know how to access the PSX virtual memory card on Vita ?

I think it's only possible from within a game. When running a PSX game, hold the PS button, then tap on "Settings"->"Memory Card Utility".

So I finally solved the problem. For whatever reason, I had to go into the PS3 sound settings and disable Dolby Digital. Now the disc has sound.

I'm glad you finally got it working. :)

Rufus

nGZyqmp.jpg

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I guess I should have put something that shows the size, it's about 3.5"
Might be a cleaning tool for the mouse that came with Mario Paint. To scrape off the dust that would accumulate on the little rollers inside.

I just got a Wii U (my after surgery gift from everyone) and its my first Nintendo console ever. I've got a few stupid questions though.

Is there anything I need to do when first setting it up? I've got the updates done but it still shows LoveFilm (which is now Amazon Instant) and stuff. The sites online are all a bit outdated.

What the hell is a Miiverse?

Is the UI meant to be sluggish? I've seen "please wait" while just trying to access the settings.

Anything else?

Thanks in advance, guys. :)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is there anything I need to do when first setting it up? I've got the updates done but it still shows LoveFilm (which is now Amazon Instant) and stuff. The sites online are all a bit outdated.

I think that updates after you first start it? Not 100% sure.

What the hell is a Miiverse?
Mostly a social network kinda thing where you can share your thoughts and impressions about the games you're playing. For instance you can directly post screenshots of your current game by opening Miiverse while the game is running. Some games also use those messages in-game (NES Remix 2 for replays, Mario Kart 8 for leaderboards, others just display comments on specific levels).

Is the UI meant to be sluggish? I've seen "please wait" while just trying to access the settings.

Hmm....yes. Honestly it was worse before the updates.

I think that updates after you first start it? Not 100% sure.

Mostly a social network kinda thing where you can share your thoughts and impressions about the games you're playing. For instance you can directly post screenshots of your current game by opening Miiverse while the game is running. Some games also use those messages in-game (NES Remix 2 for replays, Mario Kart 8 for leaderboards, others just display comments on specific levels).

Hmm....yes. Honestly it was worse before the updates.

Thanks very much :)

In an open world game. Are NPCs of towns you're far away from active, or does their AI only come into play when you are within a certain predetermined range?

mclem

In an open world game. Are NPCs of towns you're far away from active, or does their AI only come into play when you are within a certain predetermined range?

IT depends on the game. A GTA just has generic pedestrians that are spawned as required in the vicinity of the player. Ultima VII has their NPCs following a daily schedule, but I don't believe it actually follows that schedule continually, just looks it up when you move within range to dictate that NPC's actions at that given moment. Others fall somewhere in between those two extremes.

A game simply can't run full AI for that sort of quantity of characters in any sensible timeframe for conventional gameplay.

bomblord1

Banned
What would you call games that take place in an open but generally smallish or self contained world; That have a day/night system that let's the player progress as he/she wishes and also contains character relationship elements?

The games I have in my head are Harvest Moon/Rune Factory and the Atelier Series. I think the Sims could fit into the genre as well.

I want to say Life Sim.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
why did nobody send me the memo about infinity setup triple monitor gaming.

5760x1200 is sick.

bengraven

Is there a decent emulator to play IOS games on PC? Something like BlueStacks?

My son is obsessed with this free game he played on Kindle that's not available on "regular" Android, only Amazon Kindle and IOS. For some reason it's one of the few games on Amazon that can't be downloaded from the Store to a normal Android device.

I tried "IFunBox" but they apparently only have a limited version of the App store. I'd rather just play on "apk" or whatever the IOS version of those are.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there a decent emulator to play IOS games on PC? Something like BlueStacks?

My son is obsessed with this free game he played on Kindle that's not available on "regular" Android, only Amazon Kindle and IOS. For some reason it's one of the few games on Amazon that can't be downloaded from the Store to a normal Android device.

I tried "IFunBox" but they apparently only have a limited version of the App store. I'd rather just play on "apk" or whatever the IOS version of those are.

Ipadian is a popular one, not sure how wide a net it casts though.

Edit: Looks like it might be fishy though, neverrmind.

Top Bottom