• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

How can you tell if a game has pausing in cutscenes programmed in without trying it? I've found that some do but I'm reluctant to test it out on games because if it doesn't pause, it might very well just skip the scene.

I found that hitting the 360 dashboard button will often (but not always) pause it, hitting the PS3 home button usually NEVER pauses it, and the Wii home button ALWAYS pauses it.

ultron87

You can check in the manual. Or just try it as soon as some cutscene that was immediately after a save starts so you can easily go back if it does skip it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What are the best emulators to use for the various platforms?

I use BSNES (SNES), Fusion (SEGA consoles) and FCE Ultra (NES)... any others I should be using instead?

thanks ultron

new question: I read (from here) that letting your Xbox Live account expire can cause some headaches down the road later if you try to renew. Something about your gamertag might not necessarily be available anymore, can anyone clear this up for me? it sounds totally bogus

Roto13

Gryphter said:
thanks ultron

new question: I read (from here) that letting your Xbox Live account expire can cause some headaches down the road later if you try to renew. Something about your gamertag might not necessarily be available anymore, can anyone clear this up for me? it sounds totally bogus
When I did customer service for Xbox, I was told that once someone claims a gamertag, it's gone forever. Even if they change from Apollo1 to Apollo2, Apollo1 will never be usable by anyone ever again.

If that's still true, I doubt they'd let someone else take your name. That was a few years ago, though, so I don't know if anything has changed.

bjork

Gryphter said:
thanks ultron

Last I knew, it just goes from gold to silver, you don't lose your name.

For example, I canceled mine when I sold my 360 last year, but I just logged in to see the new Xbox site today and my profile was still there, achievements and all. Same name.

bjork

What was that thing called in Japan where you could buy a blank SFAM cart and have a game burned to it at a kiosk?

bjork said:
What was that thing called in Japan where you could buy a blank SFAM cart and have a game burned to it at a kiosk?
Disk Writer. (The article is about Famicom Disk System, but I believe the SFC systems were similar).

Edit: Did a quick google search for it. Apparently, they were called Nintendo Power (yeah, same as the magazine).

Does anyone have an audio file or know of a website that has the audio of the gargoyles in Fable 2? They were my favorite part of the game, and I wanted to hear their taunts again.

besiktas1

When I try changing the hotmail account associated with my gamertag it keeps giving me an error of "Cannot contact Live" or something. It's only a problem with this account, tried it with a dummy account and it worked fine... Help!

Binabik15

Where can I find high-ish res concept art from God of War enemies, especially the Minotaurs and the big dudes from GOW2 with the huge spkied maces. The minotaur´s are what I´m really after, though.

Rapstah

Ireland wins the Quidditch world championship at the start of the fourth Harry Potter book. Why wasn't Ireland in the official Quidditch game and why was Bulgaria, the team they beat in the final, in it?

IrishNinja

if you upgrade from a 360 elite to a slim, how do you transfer HDD date? does the latter come with a cable?
also, is there any use for my memory card upon getting such system? i like being able to take my account/saves about with me.

gotee12

IrishNinja said:
if you upgrade from a 360 elite to a slim, how do you transfer HDD date? does the latter come with a cable?
also, is there any use for my memory card upon getting such system? i like being able to take my account/saves about with me.
You can use a USB memory stick to transfer accounts/game saves (it will completely format the memory stick first though so be warned). Then you can transfer your license for all the DLC and redownload it to the new console. To do the transfer follow the link below.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/LicenseMigration/Home

It all worked for me...

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
friskykillface said:
does anyone know if a 12 month xbox 1 , live card work with a 360 system?

i think i heard that the old xbox 1 xbox live cards don't work for the xbox 360.

the ones that usually come in these boxes, i saw one for $3 and wanted to know
so i can pick it up.

B0000DBHIG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I bought a couple for £1 each and they sure do! Or did when I bought it just over a year ago, the headsets also work with the 360 controller.

Jokab

Not sure if this deserves its own thread, so I'll just put it here:

Which is the best Mario Party? Me and some friends are thinking of getting one to play over the ongoing break, and we obviously want the best one. We own all the consoles that it has appeared on, so that won't be a problem. We also already have 2nd and 4th installment.

suoodS

Jokab said:

Which is the best Mario Party? Me and some friends are thinking of getting one to play over the ongoing break, and we obviously want the best one. We own all the consoles that it has appeared on, so that won't be a problem. We also already have 2nd and 4th installment.

New Super Mario Bro's for the Wii is awesome. It's also the only one I played. I also never played Mario Party so I probably didn't answer your question. Sorry :D

My question: My MW2 is messed up. I installed the game to my 360 so I can play it. This worked flawlessly for months but now..when I joined a game and the map was loading, there was blue and yellow squares on the map image. As soon as it was suppose to start, it would freeze the whole system. What I don't understand is, if it's installed, shouldn't it not have to run off the disk (therefore not get messed up?)

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling but now every time I get to the 'Start' screen it says unable to read disk. Wut teh fook? :[

IrishNinja

GAF, what do you use to keep keyboard + mouse on your lap during comfy couch PC gaming?
or is this an elaborate lie like remedy told me

HYDE

Banned
If anyone's on the bench about cracking open their old xbox 360 harddrive and sticking it into the new 4GB slim, do it! It is so freaking easy. I broke open the old one, and grabbed the harddrive, then just plugged it straight into the new one. It's super easy, do it and save yourself a lot of $. It's cool to, because it doesn't void your warranty, get you banned, or ruin anything. And it even displays it as an official Microsoft HDD on your dashboard.

Where did Mega CD store it's game saves. A few of the games I tried didn't seem to have a "delete save" option either, so did the storage fill up after time?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ResidentDante said:
Where did Mega CD store it's game saves. A few of the games I tried didn't seem to have a "delete save" option either, so did the storage fill up after time?

on the internal memory/ram , 64KB one ( yeah SEGA is so awesome and was always years ahead of everyone ) , but it's small so you need a ram cartridge/Megacart (that you put into the Megadrive slot and then it work as memory cart) if you want extra saves storage.

IrishNinja said:
GAF, what do you use to keep keyboard + mouse on your lap during comfy couch PC gaming?

Lap Board/Lapdesk

Totobeni said:
on the internal memory/ram , 64KB one ( yeah SEGA is so awesome and was always years ahead of everyone ) , but it's small so you need a ram cartridge/Megacart (that you put into the Megadrive slot and then it work as memory cart) if you want extra saves storage.
Thanks, could you manage the saves on an internal OS?

In Resident Evil: Director's Cut (here accessed via psn) does the music seem like.. completely awful to anyone else? Like someone just facerolling the keys over and over? I swear the original RE had better music.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
am I the only one who can't play Hustle Kings? I've asked this before, but it freezes no matter what I do before I start a game. This started when I got my slim 250 gig a few months ago.

It makes no sense that this one game don't work on my PS3

theinfinityissue said:
In Resident Evil: Director's Cut (here accessed via psn) does the music seem like.. completely awful to anyone else? Like someone just facerolling the keys over and over? I swear the original RE had better music.

The music in the DC was totally redone. It's not your imagination.

Davey Cakes

Jokab said:

I'm going to chime in on this one and say that Mario Party 2 (which you already have) is the best of them. Though, many would say that the very first Mario Party is still the best, so take that for what it's worth. I'd say either Mario Party 1 or 2 are good choices.

If your friends feel like sticking to Gamecube stuff, I've only played 4 and 5. They both have decent minigames. The latter has more interesting board layouts.

A sensible ordering would probably be 2>1>4=5, when it comes to the Mario Party titles. I will say that I've played MP8 as well, but....it's not even worth mentioning.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
IMPORTANT QUESTION

I have $10 amazon credit from New Vegas. Is it impossible for me to use this credit towards buying Playstation Network content? It seems it is :(

thcsquad

The HDMI is busted on my PS3 slim. I've tried with multiple cables, including brand new ones. It works for ten minutes and just dies. So I've been playing games in SD, which is pretty awful but its better then not playing games at all.

However, GT5 is coming out soon and I am not playing it on SD, so I'm considering a component cable for now. I looked at the PS3 Component Cable on Amazon, and it looks like the end which plugs into the PS3 is rectangular, which can be either the regular composite out or the HDMI one. Obviously, if it plugs into the HDMI out, it's most likely not going to work, and in that case I shouldn't bother and just send the system into Sony. If it's the regular composite out, then I'm good.

Which is it?

Roto13

How well or poorly have Phantasy Star 1 - 4 aged? I've kind of been in an RPG mood lately and I have Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection so I have all four of these games. I'd like to play them in order, but not if they're too annoying. I don't want to have to stop to grind every ten minutes.

I've never played them before so I don't have any feelings of nostalgia for them.

Roto13 said:
How well or poorly have Phantasy Star 1 - 4 aged? I've kind of been in an RPG mood lately and I have Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection so I have all four of these games. I'd like to play them in order, but not if they're too annoying. I don't want to have to stop to grind every ten minutes.

I've never played them before so I don't have any feelings of nostalgia for them.

I'm really no expert when it comes to the series but I would say Phantasy Star 1 would be pretty tough to play unless you like to map out the dungeons on graph paper while you play. Confusing first person mazes basically. The rest should be less of a chore to play though. I'd say start with 2 though I don't remember it all that well.

thorin

thcsquad said:
I looked at the PS3 Component Cable on Amazon, and it looks like the end which plugs into the PS3 is rectangular, which can be either the regular composite out or the HDMI one. Obviously, if it plugs into the HDMI out, it's most likely not going to work, and in that case I shouldn't bother and just send the system into Sony. If it's the regular composite out, then I'm good.

Which is it?
It plugs into the same output as the composite. I take it you don't have the PS2 component cable? Because that would work too since it's the same connector.

I played through the first Phantasy Star (GBA version) for the first time in 2008 and it wasn't that great. It was most likely a very impressive game back in the late '80s, but unless you're nostalgic for the series you probably won't have that much fun. All characters have fixed skills and there aren't many items in the game. You're also going to need some graph paper to make it through the dungeons (or GameFAQs). It's fairly short. I completed it in less than 20 hours (with downloaded maps).

thcsquad

thorin said:
It plugs into the same output as the composite. I take it you don't have the PS2 component cable? Because that would work too since it's the same connector.

Nope, never had an HDTV with PS2 so I always used composite. Component cable it is, then!

Apoc29

EA Sports makes NBA (Live) and NFL (Madden) series of sports video games, and they also make the NCAA series of those respective sports. Is there any difference between the pro and college versions of the games besides the choice of teams you can play as? I'm not a sports guy, so I can't understand why anyone would want to buy the NCAA version when they can just play the 'professional' version. I read that NCAA doesn't even license the players' names in the games.

I recently picked up a fairly complete SNES console. It's missing some of the inserts and watnot. My main question though is, Is there a resource for what was included with different old school console bundles. I'm looking for as much detail as possible with pictures and everything, even down to twist ties and plastic wrap. Thanks in advance

Roto13

thundr51 said:
Anybody know whatever happened to the Phantom console? :lol
It was supposed to come out around the launch of the Xbox 360 but it didn't. It just kind of disappeared entirely after that. It was probably cancelled and they were too ashamed to make an announcement about it. :p

Top Bottom