• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

ultron87

Roto13 said:
It was supposed to come out around the launch of the Xbox 360 but it didn't. It just kind of disappeared entirely after that. It was probably cancelled and they were too ashamed to make an announcement about it. :p

At some point I think they released this "Lapboard" thing. It was a Keyboard and mouse you could use while sitting on the couch.

Yeah, it exists:

phantom_lapboard_2.jpg

N4Us

If I just plug a PS3 controller into a PS3 will it work without me having to do any login shit or whatever?

Ashes

Banned
Leckan said:
What exactly is an "AAA" title?

I hear it a lot but never do I hear about "A" or "AA" or "B" titles.

Well it doesn't reflect properly into real life, but at secondary school, high seventies was an A.
Maybe 70=A, 80=AA, 90=AAA.
Of course that means a 70 game is pretty decent game, but I think for most people seventy is off the radar, maybe a B or C.

Generally a AAA title is a title with hype, which well on its way to get really high scores, and is a favourite to be a amongst the games of the year. Yearly titles didn't use to count I think, but Cod seems to have changed that...

Edit: in layman times there's no in between, AAA titles are just blockbuster games.

onken

IrishNinja said:
GAF, what do you use to keep keyboard + mouse on your lap during comfy couch PC gaming?
or is this an elaborate lie like remedy told me

My brother has this thing that's like a tray except with a bean-bag stuck to the bottom so it sits on your lap, it's pretty nice.

I usually just use joy2key to map PC controls to my joypad though.

N4Us said:
If I just plug a PS3 controller into a PS3 will it work without me having to do any login shit or whatever?

Yeah should do.

Momo

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Has anyone ever used their PS3 to print something?
I can't give you a coherent reason as to why, but this question just made me burst out with laughter :lol

Carnby

is there an estimate of how many copies of Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition were printed? i recall them being out of print within a few weeks of release. i can't imagine the number being very high.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
is there multiple Yoshi's, with new ones being born when I hatch their eggs, or does he just resurrect after dying?

Speevy

Banned
Why don't games let you throw things or enemies at the screen anymore, such as in battletoads and tmnt turtles in time?

Numpt3

Erm guys does anyone know where the option the change your voice settings is on xbl? I could have sworn that it used to be in profile ---> edit profile but I can't find it now.

God I hate this new dashboard. :/

Edit: nvm, found it.

Philia

What is the best way to clean a DSi and as effectively keeping specks away?

I had a bitch of a time trying to input a screen protector at the bottom and with several failed attempts I just went without. I had a cloth that came with the screen protectors but that thing barely could even keep the darn specks away!

jediyoshi

What's the name of the side scrolling flash game where you're a runner and you control each limb with a different key?

Why do some PS3 title install trophies during boot up and others don't?

It's pretty annoying to watch that bar each and every time you load a game...

Do some games simply hide it during boot up or are there two ways for developers to implement it?

edgefusion

OneMoreQuestion said:
3307217923403.jpg

So is this the only PS3 game with an alternate colour for the bar on top of the cover? I'm tempted to get it just for that :D

No there are others, it's because they come in a box or slip-case rather than a plain plastic case. The only other example I can think of is Heavy Rain but it's becoming relatively common.

4195412454_7e8a01c626.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Snuggler said:
is there multiple Yoshi's, with new ones being born when I hatch their eggs, or does he just resurrect after dying?
Only one Yoshi.

mclem

Is Silent Hill: Shattered Memories more enjoyable if you've played it after playing through SH1? I'm toying with the idea of getting into the series, and not sure where to start.

Roto13

NinjaFusion said:
Why do some PS3 title install trophies during boot up and others don't?

It's pretty annoying to watch that bar each and every time you load a game...

Do some games simply hide it during boot up or are there two ways for developers to implement it?
I think most developers just hide it. The only game I've played that I can think of that installs trophies when you start it up is Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. It's like Backbone tries to suck in as many ways possible.

mclem

Further stupid question: I know XBLA titles are tied to both the console (playable by any gamertag on that console) and by gamertag (Playable on any console by that gamertag). Is it possible to play on any gamertag on any console provided the owning gamertag is logged in (on a different pad or something)? I'd like to demo some games without having the players I'm demoing to earn any achievements on my account!

Veelk

Banned
I'm having an issue turning on my xbox. Ever since the update, if I'd start it up, it'd go to the dashboard even if there was a game already in the console. I went to the console setting to adjust so that it starts up immediately, but it was already in that setting. What gives, gaf?

ultron87

Generic said:
I'm having an issue turning on my xbox. Ever since the update, if I'd start it up, it'd go to the dashboard even if there was a game already in the console. I went to the console setting to adjust so that it starts up immediately, but it was already in that setting. What gives, gaf?

I believe the recent dashboard broke that functionality. They promised to fix it at some point, I think.

Joei

I have a question and I was going to make a thread about this, but I decided against it. I currently have a 20$ Amazon Credit that I can use for a game but it has to be used by the end of this month. I considered the new Donkey Kong game, but frankly, any game I get will probably just get shelved since I'm playing some other games on my backlog and I don't want to get a new release that's just going to sit there or really district from the 2 games I have in line to play (Alan Wake and Metroid). That said, what I'm looking for is a game in the 20-40 dollar range on Amazon, and one that's probably an older release. Two games that have caught my eye are the first Uncharted and the God of War collection. Are there any other games that some of you might recommend?? The one type of game I'm really not looking for right now is RPG even though I typically like those games.

For some insight of games this gen that I've bought and liked/disliked, here's a slight rundown:

Bioshock 1 and 2, love both games
Demon's Souls, bad addiction, lol (finally kicked it)
Dark Siders, loved it
Batman AA, loved it
Assassin's Creed, didn't like
Mass Effect, couldn't get into
Crackdown, couldn't get into
Gears of War, couldn't get into
Ninja Gaiden 2, couldn't get into
NSMBWii, freaking loved it
SMG1 and 2, see NSMBWii

Also, if anyone has a better thread to direct me to, feel free to share. I still have about 2 weeks left for this credit so I'm not in an immediate rush to buy something.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune would be a good choice. It's probably harder to play if you've already gone through the sequel, but I consider it a must-play either way.

It's at the high end of your price range but I highly recommend The Sly Collection for PS3 if you like platformers.

If you enjoy arcade racers, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift goes for $30 on Amazon and it's a ton of fun to play.

just a few ideas

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So I recently got rid of my PSP 3000 and started using my PSP 1000 to play the occasional game but there is a problem. Apparently Gran Turismo PSP has DRM or some bullshit and now my save is tied to the PSP 3000 which is gone. What the fuck?! Is there anyway to recover my save? I had 743 cars on the thing hoping to transfer them to GT5.

FUCK!

My launch 360 finally red ringed just now. My question is: what do I do with this broken 360? Literally throw it in the trash? Am I supposed to take it to some disposal facility because it has some sort of biohazardy components? And how do I deal with this loss psychologically?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Leckan said:
What exactly is an "AAA" title?

I hear it a lot but never do I hear about "A" or "AA" or "B" titles.
to me it has always being an indicator of quality, which sometimes, but not always also means a big budget, highly marketed game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Trent Strong said:
My launch 360 finally red ringed just now. My question is: what do I do with this broken 360? Literally throw it in the trash? Am I supposed to take it to some disposal facility because it has some sort of biohazardy components? And how do I deal with this loss psychologically?

I just had this happen last thursday!

there is almost no resale value. Gamestop used to give like, $20 for a busted systems. Probably way less by now, with the new models out. Are you in the US? Might as well try to see what you get from them but you're better off just smashing it into pieces with a hammer or giving it a ceremonial burial. I still have my RRoD system, I'm not sure if I should bury it for sentimental purposes or try to sell it for a pack of smokes.

I've seen a lot of posts like this, in addition to my personal experience, maybe all the "old" style 360's are self-destructing.

No45

eLZhi said:
So I have composite cables for my PSP, but when I hook it up to my TV, the game is in a small box in the middle of the screen. How do I get it in full screen?
That'll be dependent on the screen, not the PSP I suspect. It's no doubt displaying it at the native resolution of the PSP, so you'll need to find your TV option to stretch it to full screen if that's how you want it.

Snuggler said:
I just had this happen last thursday!

there is almost no resale value. Gamestop used to give like, $20 for a busted systems. Probably way less by now, with the new models out. Are you in the US? Might as well try to see what you get from them but you're better off just smashing it into pieces with a hammer or giving it a ceremonial burial. I still have my RRoD system, I'm not sure if I should bury it for sentimental purposes or try to sell it for a pack of smokes.

I've seen a lot of posts like this, in addition to my personal experience, maybe all the "old" style 360's are self-destructing.

Yeah, maybe I should give it a proper burial. Or possibly a Viking funeral. I guess I won't get any real money out of it. I wonder if there are any launch 360s left? Maybe about 5 years is the outer limit how long they can last. Oh well, feels bad man.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Trent Strong said:
Yeah, maybe I should give it a proper burial. Or possibly a Viking funeral. I guess I won't get any real money out of it. I wonder if there are any launch 360s left? Maybe about 5 years is the outer limit how long they can last. Oh well, feels bad man.

give it an eskimo burial and lay it on an ice berg and cast it out to sea

confused

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
Any video game books/novels that are worth reading? and/or comics?

Halo, Gears, Mass Effect? L4D comic?

Don't know about the rest, but the Halo books were definitely worth reading.

confused said:
Don't know about the rest, but the Halo books were definitely worth reading.

The L4D comic is just... Boring.

Oh, there's a boomer! Those things spit bile at you!
A spitter! He's got me with his TONGUE!
TAAAAANK!!!

Every special zombie has to make an appearance, just because.

Roto13

The first series of Metal Gear Solid comics (based on the first Metal Gear Solid) are kind of boring, imo. They're pretty, though. Mirror's Edge is decent as far as video game comics go. And Doom and Killer Instinct are just hilarious.

Joei

Snuggler said:
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune would be a good choice. It's probably harder to play if you've already gone through the sequel, but I consider it a must-play either way.

It's at the high end of your price range but I highly recommend The Sly Collection for PS3 if you like platformers.

If you enjoy arcade racers, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift goes for $30 on Amazon and it's a ton of fun to play.

just a few ideas

Thanks for your recommendations. As for racing, I normally don't play them or enjoy them much, but I absolutely love, love, love Pure. I had such a blast playing that game. It's the only racing game I've owned since probably SNES days.

No45 said:
That'll be dependent on the screen, not the PSP I suspect. It's no doubt displaying it at the native resolution of the PSP, so you'll need to find your TV option to stretch it to full screen if that's how you want it.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Top Bottom