• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

the shooting mechanics in destiny are vastly superior to titanfall imo

You mean forcing people to use ADS and stay on the ground for maximum accuracy is good design these days? I mean there are a ton of good things to say about Destiny's gunplay, especially the impact and feel of the weapons, but actual shooting mechanic is not one of them. Plus, Destiny's gunplay is the descendant of Halo while Titanfall's is that of CoD, not really a fair comparison as they play very, very differently.

You mean forcing people to use ADS and stay on the ground for maximum accuracy is good design these days? I mean there are a ton of good things to say about Destiny's gunplay, especially the impact and feel of the weapons, but actual shooting mechanic is not one of them.

you're probably in the minority there. destiny feels like it actually rewards skill, unlike titanfall, where you can just spray in someone's general direction and let the aim assist do most of the work.

you're probably in the minority there. destiny feels like it actually rewards skill, unlike titanfall, where you can just spray in someone's general direction and let the aim assist do most of the work.

Do you know aim assist is actually one of the stats on Destiny's weapons? And the fact that its aim assist is at least on par with the Halo original trilogy via aggressive bullet magnetism? Or the shotgun and sniper spam that plagued the crucible for nearly a year?

Do you know aim assist is actually one of the stats on Destiny's weapons? And the fact that its aim assist is at least on par with the Halo original trilogy via aggressive bullet magnetism? Or the shotgun and sniper spam that plagued the crucible for nearly a year?

yes? i never said destiny doesn't have strong aim assist. it's just not absurd like titanfall's is. i get that people love to get fired up about destiny, but gunplay is not a good target to go after, because it's sublime.

the shooting mechanics in destiny are vastly superior to titanfall imo
Depends on how narrow in scope 'shooting mechanics' is. The guns in Destiny are certainly more satisfying to use. But most of that is because of PVE and RPG elements which don't have a place in Titanfall to begin with. I'd argue that the trash hipfire in Destiny is a problem and I vastly prefer what they did with Titanfall 2.

They both suffer from comical levels of aim assist. Though I kind of feel like the aim assist is a strength for Destiny PVE at least.

I do appreciate the feel and recoil mechanics in Destiny but I don't think they really have much of a place in Titanfall.

As far as look mechanics with the advanced settings and even the plethora of options in the normal settings Titanfall completely blows Destiny away. I don't think I would play Destiny without a XIM to help me fight through their nonsense. Whereas I know I can enjoy Titanfall on a controller if it comes down to it.

They're just different enough games that what works for one won't necessarily work for the other.

Overall best shooting mechanics this gen goes to R6 Siege to me, with Battlefield 4 as the runner up (incidentally also the game I feel like Titanfall could steal a few pages but I already rambled at length about the hitscan vs projectile thing).

SwolBro

Banned
Overall best shooting mechanics this gen goes to R6 Siege to me, with Battlefield 4 as the runner up (incidentally also the game I feel like Titanfall could steal a few pages but I already rambled at length about the hitscan vs projectile thing).

Woah, let's not go overboard here. Having aim-assist is key in a game like Titanfall, just not what it's like now.

Siege and Battlefield have the worst types of gunplay. Battlefield is an utter bore, and Six Siege only works because of how the game plays slow and methodical.

I said *comical* levels of aim assist, I didn't even argue that there should be no aim assist in Titanfall. Though aim assist does get a little goofy when shooting projectiles with travel time. I think killing aim assist and standardizing look mechanics and control options across FPS games on console wouldn't be a bad thing, but that's another discussion.

As for Siege and Battlefield, what do you know? You wear it as a badge of honor that Titanfall is the only game you play. You've got 45 minutes on Siege and haven't even touched Battlefield since BF3 on 360 which was pretty gimped compared to the PC version (unlike more recent games in the series which have feature parity with current gen) going by your Xbox account.

I also specifically ignored Siege as a game for Titanfall to take inspiration from as far as gun mechanics go because I don't think they're a good fit! When I say best, of course I mean true to the type of shooter that the game is. I can't really think of a way to make R6's gunplay better. I don't feel the same way about the original Titanfall and I certainly don't feel that way about the sequel though.

From Battlefield's playbook though I'd ditch hitscan completely, albeit with probably higher projectile speeds to compensate for Titanfall's faster movement speed. I wouldn't take the stance modifiers for spread and the like, they don't fit. In fact I favor adding more airborne accuracy per the earlier comment about Frothy and Gamesager wanting it. I would consider Battlefield style spread increase over time to force some burst control at distance, and balancing of AR vs SMG like Battlefield does in that AR has more recoil, less spread, and SMG has low recoil but high spread. And of course I'd grab the higher TTK across the board.

As for Battlefield being a 'borefest', nonsense. That shit is a non-stop action movie if you want to play it that way. Pretty much the only competitor Titanfall has to the 'Xbox, Record That!' crown.

Derp2Herp

Neo Member
I don't think anything tops Call of Duty in terms of aim mechanics and aim assist. Not sure why they didn't make it exactly like that. It even worked great for that third person game mode in MW2. Responsive and can hardly feel the aim assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JNgF6JQXBA

Titanfall 2 is still great though and is easily better than most but still falls short when compared to Battlefield and Call of Duty.

Dylan

Is the aim assist different from console to PC? I'm playing on PC and have never tried the console version.

I think that criticism of the shooting mechanics in Titanfall is totally valid, but don't forget about the part where you are constantly wall-running and wall-jumping over the entire map and shooting from the hip as you double jump away from gigantic robots. There's a reason the mechanics are tuned differently in Titanfall compared to other games.

Arrrammis

Patch notes are up: https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/discussion/11482/colony-reborn-the-patch-notes/p1#Head

Highlights for me:
-Holo Pilot now has the name and a health bar of the owner pilot
-Holo Pilot will give a subtle audio cue now to the owner when it's destroyed

-Amped Wall can now be destroyed

-Various improvements to Pilot melee

-Adjusted Live Fire scoring priority so Kills now count higher than Flag Captures

-Added Random Pilot Execution option. This will choose a random execution out of the ones you have unlocked.
-Advocate Gifts will now default to rewarding random cosmetic items instead of credits. This should help players who primarily play one type of loadout get more cosmetic rewards
Man, this all looks fantastic!

Attrition

• Enemy npcs appear on the minimap in Attrition - for Titanfall 1 veterans, all pilots have Minion Detector.

Nice, should make making comebacks in Attrition more possible when the entire enemy team are in Titans

Edit: Why does the SMR have to be a primary, its amped version is so good with dealing against titans, that I wish I could use something like the Flatline with it

VeeP

Patch notes seem solid. Looking forward to the update and next months Roadmap.

In fairness Halo was getting stale.

I disagree, and for the record, Reach was a poor Halo MP game. Halo was getting stale, so they decided to make terrible gameplay choices (Bloom, holy shit, WHY! Armor Abilities - ARMOR LOCK, etc.)?

That's not how you fix a "stale" game. And as for stale, I would disagree. Halo 3 had an extremely healthy population, second only to Modern Warfare, and occasionally it was number 1 and MW was number 2.

You want to fix a stale game?

Improve the base gameplay, add a standard armor ability i.e. thrust/roll, improve weapon balance and the weapon sandbox, create great maps, have community weekends and prizes, create a new mode (Invasion was decent, but felt like it could've been more), don't butcher Firefight (ODST FF > Reach's FF).

SwolBro

Banned
As for Siege and Battlefield, what do you know? You wear it as a badge of honor that Titanfall is the only game you play. You've got 45 minutes on Siege and haven't even touched Battlefield since BF3 on 360 which was pretty gimped compared to the PC version (unlike more recent games in the series which have feature parity with current gen) going by your Xbox account.
I've tried every battlefield beta or free weekend they've had since. Never liked the game. It bore me too death.

Siege is good for what it is. I can see why people enjoy it. If Titanfall doesn't improve i'll jump back into Overwatch (played it for about 2 weeks or so) until I see what Destiny 2 is about.

Is the aim assist different from console to PC? I'm playing on PC and have never tried the console version.

I think that criticism of the shooting mechanics in Titanfall is totally valid, but don't forget about the part where you are constantly wall-running and wall-jumping over the entire map and shooting from the hip as you double jump away from gigantic robots. There's a reason the mechanics are tuned differently in Titanfall compared to other games.
If you're using the controller on PC the aim assist should be the same.

The issue isn't how the mechanics work since this game probably does need more aim-assist compared to your conventional boots on the ground shooter but the increased snap to target, stickiness, weapon strength, lack of a real strafe, pilot glow, all pile up on top of each other making the gunplay feel too much like COD easy mode of shitty fast TTK.

I disagree, and for the record, Reach was a poor Halo MP game. Halo was getting stale, so they decided to make terrible gameplay choices (Bloom, holy shit, WHY! Armor Abilities - ARMOR LOCK, etc.)?

That's not how you fix a "stale" game. And as for stale, I would disagree. Halo 3 had an extremely healthy population, second only to Modern Warfare, and occasionally it was number 1 and MW was number 2.

You want to fix a stale game?

Improve the base gameplay, add a standard armor ability i.e. thrust/roll, improve weapon balance and the weapon sandbox, create great maps, have community weekends and prizes, create a new mode (Invasion was decent, but felt like it could've been more), don't butcher Firefight (ODST FF > Reach's FF).
I never said the decisions that were made in Reach were good. I hated the game but a lot of what they attempted to do eventually laid the groundwork for Destiny and that's for sure in part thanks to Sage.

By the middle of Halo 3s life span you could see the game lost it's momentum. Halo 3 was a sloowwwwww clunky version of Halo 2 with shittier maps. The franchise was clearly falling behind once Modern Warfare took over.

I begged for Halo C.E to have it's own online on xbox live for a very long time but when I tried giving C.E a go during that awful halo bundle release i realized that man did the game show it's age. I don't think anything will bring Halo back at this point. They'd really have to do something completely different.

I applaud Bungie for realizing the franchise had ran it's course.
_______

The update said it's improving overall movement? Wonder what they did.

Amped Wall can now be destroyed.

Holy shit finally.

Reduced the amount of core meter generated by dealing damage to Titans
Removed the icon on top of a battery that would appear after a Pilot stole a battery via Rodeo

Great Titan gameplay changes, slows down the pace, the later is a welcoming change to the rodeo system.

Added Random Pilot Execution option. This will choose a random execution out of the ones you have unlocked.
Advocate Gifts will now default to rewarding random cosmetic items instead of credits. This should help players who primarily play one type of loadout get more cosmetic rewards
Lovely QoL updates

Various improvements to Pilot melee
Amped Wall fixes

Wonder what these things do.

- Enemy npcs appear on the minimap in Attrition - for Titanfall 1 veterans, all pilots have Minion Detector.

THANK THE HEAVENS! :D

Got so annoying just running all over the damn map trying to find a firefight during Attrition

VeeP

I never said the decisions that were made in Reach were good. I hated the game but a lot of what they attempted to do eventually laid the groundwork for Destiny and that's for sure in part thanks to Sage.

By the middle of Halo 3s life span you could see the game lost it's momentum. Halo 3 was a sloowwwwww clunky version of Halo 2 with shittier maps. The franchise was clearly falling behind once Modern Warfare took over.

I begged for Halo C.E to have it's own online on xbox live for a very long time but when I tried giving C.E a go during that awful halo bundle release i realized that man did the game show it's age. I don't think anything will bring Halo back at this point. They'd really have to do something completely different.

I applaud Bungie for realizing the franchise had ran it's course.
_______

The update said it's improving overall movement? Wonder what they did.

https://majornelson.com/2008/01/04/top-xbox-live-games-of-2007/

https://majornelson.com/2009/01/04/the-top-20-live-games-of-2008/

https://majornelson.com/2010/01/11/the-top-20-live-games-of-2009/

Again, maybe to you it was "stale". To others? Nope.

A lot of people really enjoyed it, and kept playing it. Making stupid design choices like Sage and Bungie did didn't make the game any less "stale". It turned people off to Halo.

Halo 3 was a bit slow, but it had good maps, tons of options, great weapon balance, a wonderful sandbox, etc.

Reach didn't have any of that.

SwolBro

Banned

A lot of people really enjoyed it, and kept playing it. Making stupid design choices like Sage and Bungie did didn't make the game any less "stale". It turned people off to Halo.

Halo 3 was a bit slow, but it had good maps, tons of options, great weapon balance, a wonderful sandbox, etc.

I never said Halo 3 wasn't popular, it was but Halo 3 was the beginning of the end for the franchise. It had nothing to do with Reach. By time Reach came Halo was already behind COD. People had moved on.

The best Halo since 3 is this new one and despite it bringing back some fans has still not been able to pull back that type of crowd it once had. So, It's going to be interesting to see where they go from here. Are they going to build upon what 5 did, or are they going to completely change it up in order to try and capture a bigger crowd?

Anyone know when the update hits today?

bigJP

Halo 3's popularity had more to do with the social aspect of the game and when it came out. it was beginning to get stale towards the end. reach just killed it. 4 was double suicide. with 5, their is just too much competition with other games

grendelrt

I have to be missing something here, but the bundle for all the new colony content is 24.99. But when I add up the content 4.99, 4.99, 3.99, 3.99, 2.99, and 1.99 = 22.94? <<- Edit: Unless it gives teh 3.99 customization for all the titans, then it would be cheaper. It says each titan, dont know if that means northstar and legion or all titans, I am guessing all titans?? That would make more sense.

Arrrammis

Hmm, downloaded the update, but all of the prime titans and paid skins are still locked with a "Coming Soon" message on them. I need that Northstar Prime!

Why can't I choose the mode for the new map? I just got trown in last titan standing 5 times in a row, and I hate that mode. So frigging frustrating to try and get a good game going

Arrrammis

You know what, I'm going to just go nuts with ticks this weekend for the new players. Spend the entire match getting as many as I can, eject out of titans as soon as I get them to start another streak, and then just unleash hell near the end of the match!

Why can't I choose the mode for the new map? I just got trown in last titan standing 5 times in a row, and I hate that mode. So frigging frustrating to try and get a good game going

What you don't like about LTS? I can give you some tips if you struggle in it.

Hmm, downloaded the update, but all of the prime titans and paid skins are still locked with a "Coming Soon" message on them. I need that Northstar Prime!

Not up on the store yet.

What you don't like about LTS? I can give you some tips if you struggle in it.

Not up on the store yet.
I just don't like the titan combat, I absolutely love the pilot gameplay. Attrition is amazing until the titans drop for me.

Also, there is this stutter that appears every couple of seconds on ps4 that's annoying the shit out of me.

silentbum

Neo Member
I have to be missing something here, but the bundle for all the new colony content is 24.99. But when I add up the content 4.99, 4.99, 3.99, 3.99, 2.99, and 1.99 = 22.94? <<- Edit: Unless it gives teh 3.99 customization for all the titans, then it would be cheaper. It says each titan, dont know if that means northstar and legion or all titans, I am guessing all titans?? That would make more sense.

Yeah, I'm not understanding the bundles either. Feels like I'm missing something.

Arrrammis

Hmm, just watched one of my teammates in LTS get excecuted by a Northstar Prime, but they aren't available for purchase yet... Weird.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
The bundle includes all purchasable cosmetics released for that package, so the Angel City bundle includes Ion Prime, Scorch Prime, the AC Camos, the AC callsign pack, and all six of the Titan customization packs released with Angel City. For today's DLC, Colony Reborn, the bundle includes Northstar Prime, Legion Prime, the CR camos, the CR callsign pack, and all six of the Titan customization packs released today. It is much cheaper than buying individually.

I'm especially happy how we implemented the bundles. We do the math on what you own/don't own and doesn't let you buy the bundle if it wouldn't save you money. Turns out some games don't do this, and will let you double-buy items and everyone is "just cool" with it ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Hmm, just watched one of my teammates in LTS get excecuted by a Northstar Prime, but they aren't available for purchase yet... Weird.

Sony store took a while to update. If you check again it'll be there.

RedFury

The bundle includes all purchasable cosmetics released for that package, so the Angel City bundle includes Ion Prime, Scorch Prime, the AC Camos, the AC callsign pack, and all six of the Titan customization packs released with Angel City. For today's DLC, Colony Reborn, the bundle includes Northstar Prime, Legion Prime, the CR camos, the CR callsign pack, and all six of the Titan customization packs released today. It is much cheaper than buying individually.

I'm especially happy how we implemented the bundles. We do the math on what you own/don't own and doesn't let you buy the bundle if it wouldn't save you money. Turns out some games don't do this, and will let you double-buy items and everyone is "just cool" with it ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

Thank you! I accidentally bought both prime skins first time around even though they came with the deluxe edition. Would have spent it on other bundles but this happened so it is appreciated.

SwolBro

Banned
hows the new gun?

The 101 is a re-skinned 201 which is going to piss people off that thought this was going to be a new gun. We didn't need another AR in the game so i'm fine with it. i do wish they at least made it sound a little different though. And why on earth does Colony run like Angel city? I thought they remade the make with new assets? It runs like poop.

I went and bought the new camo skins, and the new banners are cool so i got that as well. Overall it's a meh DLC. We need more maps, bottom line. A 5 pack of all new fresh maps in the design mindset of TItanfall 1 is what this game is desperately needing.

grendelrt

I'm especially happy how we implemented the bundles. We do the math on what you own/don't own and doesn't let you buy the bundle if it wouldn't save you money. Turns out some games don't do this, and will let you double-buy items and everyone is "just cool" with it ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Thanks for clarificaion, I wasn't sure if it was six or two customization packs for the titans since it was only northstar and legion in the other parts of the bundle. That is cheaper by like 10 bucks.

Are you backing out of a match and matchmaking back in?
I did this and got in a lts match 5 times, bit after that I had attrition and pilot vs pilot mostly so it's all good.

Are you guy's aware of the stutter that happens every few seconds ? I can capture some video if needed.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
A few time yes because I'm trying to get a game other than Lts. I just went back to mixtape. Is ctf and bounty hunter in the 24/7 play? list so far I have gotten mostly Lts with some attrition and PvP.

There is a time period where you will be finding the same matches due to the way matchmaking works. This is different than playing 5 LTS games in a row - that should never happen in a playlist like Colony 24/7.

The Colony 24/7 playlist is only Attrition, PvP, and LTS right now. If you want to play CTF and BH on Colony it is in rotation for all modes. Personal mixtape is your bet there.

I did this and got in a lts match 5 times, bit after that I had attrition and pilot vs pilot mostly so it's all good.

See above. Working as intended :)

Are you guy's aware of the stutter that happens every few seconds ? I can capture some video if needed.

Please do! First I'm hearing of it, and not seeing any stutter here on my regular PS4.

There is a time period where you will be finding the same matches due to the way matchmaking works. This is different than playing 5 LTS games in a row - that should never happen in a playlist like Colony 24/7.

The Colony 24/7 playlist is only Attrition, PvP, and LTS right now. If you want to play CTF and BH on Colony it is in rotation for all modes. Personal mixtape is your bet there.

See above. Working as intended :)

Please do! First I'm hearing of it, and not seeing any stutter here on my regular PS4.
What datacenter are you using? I'll capture some footage tomorrow and pm you it

Top Bottom