• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Izuna

Banned
I don't think Hemlok is OP, but it's banned from competitions because of how it restricts the preferred flow of the game I guess.

~~

Well, there's a problem with some maps being far too large for Marked for Death also. A pilot with grapple on say, Complex, is going to be impossible to catch up unless you match his abilities ~~ especially since it can be used to quickly traverse above the map itself.

We'll see I suppose.

SwolBro

Banned
I'm not, it actually takes some skill to use now. Everyone only used it before because it didn't require any skill.

I wouldn't say it takes more skill, it's just less OP. It still can be a devastating gun, it's not as crazy OP in the hands of potatoes. You're punished for missing now where from before you could recoup immediately by a 1 shot. For a 'competitive' player the hemlok can be used to lock down entire points on a map far more effectively than the G2. That's why it's banned.
______

Titanfall 1 is the superior game in a lot of ways and i think people at Respawn are noticing that and they'll realize that more the more people continue to clamour for aspects of the first game to be brought into Titanfall 2.

There's philosophical choices in the game design that has not panned out as hoped. There is nothing wrong in pointing those out, not sure why people here lose their shit over it. The more they backtrack to the original while keeping the aspects of Titanfall 2 that are better the more everyone will benefit because it will be a better game.

So, wtf? And like Izuna said no one here brings anything that valuable to the table to discuss besides simply saying everything is wonderful. If people actually engaged in real discussion this place would be a lot better, and possibly serve a more valuable purpose other than posting how awesome your last match was.

I wouldn't say it takes more skill, it's just less OP. It still can be a devastating gun, it's not as crazy OP in the hands of potatoes. You're punished for missing now where from before you could recoup immediately by a 1 shot. For a 'competitive' player the hemlok can be used to lock down entire points on a map far more effectively than the G2. That's why it's banned.
______

Titanfall 1 is the superior game in a lot of ways and i think people at Respawn are noticing that and they'll realize that more the more people continue to clamour for aspects of the first game to be brought into Titanfall 2.

There's philosophical choices in the game design that has not panned out as hoped. There is nothing wrong in pointing those out, not sure why people here lose their shit over it. The more they backtrack to the original while keeping the aspects of Titanfall 2 that are better the more everyone will benefit because it will be a better game.

So, wtf? And like Izuna said no one here brings anything that valuable to the table to discuss besides simply saying everything is wonderful. If people actually engaged in d real discussion this place would be a lot better, and possibly serve a more valuable purpose other than posting how awesome your last match was.

lol, this fucking guy..

"If people engaged in real discussion, this would be a better place..."

First off, I thought you were "done" with this place?.... yet, again and again, you keep coming back.... fucking why!? Haven't you gotten through your head that THIS WILL NOT BECOME the place you describe. If it did, more people would engage in the things you bring up. There would be, you know, dialog exchanged about it.
...but they dont... they've moved on, added you to the ignore list, or they aren't inclined to check it out when they see there are updates because they see who made the posts and they just say "nah, fuck that dude..." and go on about their day

I'm sorry if folks posting positive experiences about the last great match they had is not stimulating enough for you or isn't what you want to hear about.
That doesn't mean you have the right to shit on said experiences because it's not talking about how TF2 NEEDS to be like TF1, otherwise, Respawn are incompetent

SwolBro

Banned
lol, this fucking guy..

"If people engaged in real discussion, this would be a better place..."

First off, I thought you were "done" with this place?.... yet, again and again, you keep coming back.... fucking why!? Haven't you gotten through your head that THIS WILL NOT BECOME the place you describe. If it did, more people would engage in the things you bring up. There would be, you know, dialog exchanged about it.
...but they dont... they've moved on, added you to the ignore list, or they aren't inclined to check it out when they see there are updates because they see who made the posts and they just say "nah, fuck that dude..." and go on about their day

I'm sorry if folks posting positive experiences about the last great match they had is not stimulating enough for you or isn't what you want to hear about.
That doesn't mean you have the right to shit on said experiences because it's not talking about how TF2 NEEDS to be like TF1, otherwise, Respawn are incompetent

Considering the fact that you, and others like you are the ones that shit on people that don't actually talk about what YOU want to talk about i find your post ironic.
People went out of their way to come down on two people that were talking to eachother lol. Yeah, you guys ruin this thread. The numbers are on your side though, and that's a shame.

Some people just won't realize why the others don't like them.
Some people don't care.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah seriously, if opposing opinions are going to be piled on with "this fucking guy", then the real reason why this thread is toxic ain't those criticisms of Titanfall.

If Titanfall 2 didn't need an OT, this thread would get closed. Can we at least try to talk about the game and not shit on opinions for the nth time?

grendelrt

Considering the fact that you, and others like you are the ones that shit on people that don't actually talk about what YOU want to talk about i find your post ironic.
People went out of their way to come down on two people that were talking to eachother lol. Yeah, you guys ruin this thread. The numbers are on your side though, and that's a shame.

Some people don't care.

I wasn't going to reply to your posts but you literally just said a majority of this thread doesn't like you or your posts, but its everyone else's fault this thread is ruined.

We ruin the thread but yet Respawn devs themselves have basically told you to shut up.

You have been done with this game what 5x now, yet you come in here and once again derail the thread. What other person has been accused of constantly derailing the thread. But you still wont get it because its everyone else fault, right?!

Izuna

Banned
CTF Nitro should replace regular

See this just sucks, the people who actually post in this thread and want to discuss the game instead of complain and bitch are now leaving once again.

They don't tho, they don't want to discuss the game, they want to complain about anything that isn't overwhelmingly positive. It doesn't matter.

Look at this page and previous pages, this off-topic piling on has happened over and over again since OT2. It's one thing to complain about Swol a few times but look at this derail. If they think Swol is toxic to this thread, take it up to a mod. Now we have this mess. It's hypocritical.

The least they could do is repost what's on reddit, right?

--

All said, I can't wait for the TITANFALL 1 competition that /r/titanfall is advertising in a couple of days.

Izuna

Banned
Or at the very least keep the mechanics. No boosts and Phase shift dropping the flag really helps with the flow of the game IMO.

No Boosts is strange. It improves to mode in the same way I think it would improve any mode. The problem with boosts is how few of the selection are useful/used and how they're used the same way in each game. But I wouldn't throw them away with no replacement.

bigJP

new update and maps looks good but they honestly just need to release like 3 maps in one go (excluding live fire).

on an aside: i really dont see the issues with Swol's posts.

Arrrammis

Someone went through and spotted the Titanfall 2 youtubers in the new trailer, and it's pretty great if you're familiar with them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loQPyfPc-PA

new update and maps looks good but they honestly just need to release like 3 maps in one go (excluding live fire).

on an aside: i really dont see the issues with Swol's posts.

He used to make a lot of direct insults at Respawn employees because of design decisions, and a few folks in this thread hold a grudge because of that even though he's calmed down and posts discussions without that level of aggressiveness. People just like to dogpile.

bigJP

Someone went through and spotted the Titanfall 2 youtubers in the new trailer, and it's pretty great if you're familiar with them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loQPyfPc-PA

He used to make a lot of direct insults at Respawn employees because of design decisions, and a few folks in this thread hold a grudge because of that even though he's calmed down and posts discussions without that level of aggressiveness. People just like to dogpile.

i see.

just going back and playing tf1 makes me realize how much of tf2 is irritating. sure their are improvements, but the pilot movement and titan combat is much better in 1 than 2

SwolBro

Banned
I wasn't going to reply to your posts but you literally just said a majority of this thread doesn't like you or your posts, but its everyone else's fault this thread is ruined.

We ruin the thread but yet Respawn devs themselves have basically told you to shut up.

You have been done with this game what 5x now, yet you come in here and once again derail the thread. What other person has been accused of constantly derailing the thread. But you still wont get it because its everyone else fault, right?!
I'm not sure you've noticed but there's only been a few consistent posters here, and you along with a few others want to boot out anyone with dissenting opinions. I didn't derail anything, i made a comment and then was jumped on. As per usual.
I never actually made a direct insult to any of the devs in here. I have said things like "what the hell are these guys thinking?" or "why do they think this is good? this is crazy" things of that nature which i find justified.

What else am i supposed to say? At times it's out of frustration, or bewilderment. Case in point: Why would they make Titanfall 2 have movement mechanics but then introduce a ton of stuff to prevent you from applying those mechanics freely? That doesn't make sense. How else do you want me to express utter frustration with that concept other than at times saying "Respawn wtf".

Edit: In fact this idea that i 'insulted' devs started when it was discovered the Volt was never truly gimped. I called out the dev in here that didn't know what was going on with their own gun. So, yeah the idea that 1. they'd nerf a gun that wasn't OP on console but it was on PC and then say they don't balance exclusively for one platform (still doesn't make sense) and 2. Then realize they never in fact nerfed the gun and then proceeded to do so despite no one using it on console just made the whole thing even more of a clusterfuck. Of course people in here brushed it off, and claimed i was being rude. Okkkayyy.

just going back and playing tf1 makes me realize how much of tf2 is irritating. sure their are improvements, but the pilot movement and titan combat is much better in 1 than 2
See, comments like these are vilified despite the improvements that come out of them lol. That's what is truly bizarre. Everything i've ever complained about but that were eventually fixed only served to improve the game. Go back and see when people jumped on me over cloak. It's hilarious. I was accused of elitism, of snobbery, of being wrong and toxic, and the list goes on.

bigJP

titanfall is like halo to me. the 1st is the best and then with the following iterations, they make changes that no one seems to understand. they are so close to having an amazing game, but little things just snowball into issues that make me not want to really play it anymroe

VeeP

titanfall is like halo to me. the 1st is the best and then with the following iterations, they make changes that no one seems to understand. they are so close to having an amazing game, but little things just snowball into issues that make me not want to really play it anymroe

But... but... Halo 2 and Halo 5 have better multiplayer. And Halo 3, Reach, and ODST have a better campaign.

Edit: and that ODST soundtrack. God damn.

SwolBro

Banned

Totally agree. It's a problem with a lot of sequels. They try to adjust 1 minor issue and in doing so pile on a bunch of other issues.

Like, visibility. They thought (which i can understand and somewhat agree with) that it was hard to see pilots in Titanfall 1 at times. Instead of applying 1 change to fix this they go overboard. Not only do you glow, but you have a health bar above your head, you omit trails the faster you go, there's less a.i or no a.i in games, and so on.

And then there's things they don't even think about, such as why does a flag carrier only get punished if he's running stim? When you run stim you have even more trails to your jets but phase shift (until now) still carries the flag, grapple doesn't slow down at all when it should, etc. Grabbing the flag should do something to your tactical. Stim already gets punished, phase shift (thank god) now gets punished, so should grapple and some of the other tacticals in some way.

But... but... Halo 2 and Halo 5 have better multiplayer. And Halo 3, Reach, and ODST have a better campaign.

Edit: and that ODST soundtrack. God damn.
Halo 1 was better than 2 by far. You're forgetting how many balancing issues 2 had, they had to continue to balance the game well into it's life to reach the level of balance 1 had. Halo 5 doesn't really count since it's so far removed from the original. Halo 3 was a watered down version of 2, and Reach and 4 were all around awful.

Also, look at what Epic did with Gears. My god what a terrible blunder that turned into.

Halo sucks like Goldeneye, FPS for console players from the way-back times where FPS games on console didn't have anything approaching parity with PC FPS.

VeeP

Halo 1 was better than 2 by far. You're forgetting how many balancing issues 2 had, they had to continue to balance the game well into it's life to reach the level of balance 1 had. Halo 5 doesn't really count since it's so far removed from the original. Halo 3 was a watered down version of 2, and Reach and 4 were all around awful.

Eh, If I had to chose, I'd say give me a Halo 2 remaster over a Halo CE remaster. Things like SMG start's were a terrible idea, but Halo 2 had better competitive maps, amazing BTB maps, and IMO better movement/physics. BTR and BXB were also amazing glitches.

Sure, it had it's problems. Like you said, balance issues especially. I despised those SMG starts, especially on a BTB map (Waterworks with SMG's? Seriously?). But I think it gets knocked on way to much. And the noob combo was annoying, as well as the unlimited energy sword at times. But with Halo: CE, Pistol is literally all you need. At least when I played on XBC that's the way it was. And some people might enjoy that, IRL I know people who loved Halo CE because of that pistol.

But personally, I thought it was too OP. And I think I prefer Halo 2 and 5 (multiplayer-wise) because of that reason. Halo 2 with BR starts is better imo. And I think Halo 5 has an amazing balance in it's weapons sandbox.

And as for the Campaign, Halo CE had some good levels. I really enjoyed Silent Cartographer, Truth and Reconciliation, and Assault on the Control Room.

But the other games in the franchise, namely Halo 3 & ODST, do campaign better.

But I can see why people prefer Halo CE over the others. Halo 5 is definitely a different beast compared to CE, and I can see why some fans moved away from the series.

not sure what you're talking about. explain.
I'm saying console FPS in those days didn't deliver what PC did. Especially online multiplayer gameplay.

Nowadays on console you can get pretty much the same games and experience you get on PC.

I don't think Halo or Goldeneye would have anywhere near the following and nostalgia if more of those players had access to PC FPS of the time.

bigJP

I'm saying console FPS in those days didn't deliver what PC did. Especially online multiplayer gameplay.

Nowadays on console you can get pretty much the same games and experience you get on PC.

I don't think Halo or Goldeneye would have anywhere near the following and nostalgia if more of those players had access to PC FPS of the time.

i used to play unreal on pc, and still think halo was amazing

Izuna

Banned
I dunno

Halo 3 at least did what Overwatch does for many people today without having a terrible relationship with aggressive SBMM. Halo competitive is also fun to watch, I'm glad it exists.

I can't wait for Quake Champions. Main reason why I'm getting a laptop next week with a 1070 in it :)

And to include an anecdote, my brother was in a Div2 Quake 3 team and yet he still enjoyed the hell out of Halo 3. It required an entirely different set of skills.

ODST is the best Campaign

~~

LaneDS

Love CTF Nitro but really only when it's on those Live Fire maps. Some of the bigger ones just seem like not a great fit for the mode. I'm also at the point where I like the game where it's either all pilots, or all titans, and am less into the modes where both are in play (still enjoyable though, just less so).

Can folks, especially console folks, talk through general Ronin playstyle? I think Ronin is fun to use but usually feel like I get much less out of using him (he's a dude) than when I go with Tone (who I think is in a better, less overall dominant place than he (also a dude) was previously).

Current strategy is to run with the extra boost and the reduced cooldown on the phase shift, and use both of those to try to close the gap, empty four rounds into an opponent (or stun, then do that), then go for some melee. Still unclear on when blocking makes the most sense, what blocking is good against/not good against, and when to get the fuck out. Usually do alright damage but at the expense of most of my life bar, whereas with Tone I can stay alive usually till the end and do considerably more damage fighting like a brave person from halfway across the map.

tl;dr I like Ronin but want to get understand how to play him better

I use extra dash and 2 arc waves in case the first shock doesn't hit or there's more I need to stun.

My playstyle is generally avoid using normal melee unless it's for a group of minions, a pilot who's pestering me while I'm reloading, or a titan / reaper who's at low enough hp for a kill.

Also never bothered trying to attack enemy titans head on. Much rather flank, dump shots, then hide or run away.

LaneDS

I use extra dash and 2 arc waves in case the first shock doesn't hit or there's more I need to stun.

My playstyle is generally avoid using normal melee unless it's for a group of minions, a pilot who's pestering me while I'm reloading, or a titan / reaper who's at low enough hp for a kill.

Also never bothered trying to attack enemy titans head on. Much rather flank, dump shots, then hide or run away.

Seems like the range on the shotgun is pretty low, so it seems hard to engage them in combat and get away without taking a fair amount of damage in the process.

Also, is Sword Core any good? Seems not great so far. Granted, super limited time with Ronin compared to Tone, so my opinions come from a pretty uninformed position.

Appreciate the feedback either way though!

Afa

Current strategy is to run with the extra boost and the reduced cooldown on the phase shift, and use both of those to try to close the gap, empty four rounds into an opponent (or stun, then do that), then go for some melee. Still unclear on when blocking makes the most sense, what blocking is good against/not good against, and when to get the fuck out. Usually do alright damage but at the expense of most of my life bar, whereas with Tone I can stay alive usually till the end and do considerably more damage fighting like a brave person from halfway across the map.

I think Ronin's sword blocks and reduces most standard attacks except for Ion's laser shot and Northstar's charged railgun. Also the advantage is that swordblock can be held up indefinitely, I've been able to go head to head with a full health Legion, blocking all his shots and meleeing when he reloads.

SwolBro

Banned
Can folks, especially console folks, talk through general Ronin playstyle? I think Ronin is fun to use but usually feel like I get much less out of using him (he's a dude) than when I go with Tone (who I think is in a better, less overall dominant place than he (also a dude) was previously).

Ronin is all sword block all the time. Sword block does work against the laser shot but not the northstar railgun. Northstar is the main counter to Ronin. Sword core+2 arc wave is what the good players run with Ronin most of the time. It's all about movement side to side, and going in and out for melee's and sword core hits.

And if you don't know how to reload cancel with Ronin then you don't know how to play Ronin. Learn that.

because i know yall love to talk about the melee in this game:
https://streamable.com/pw15n
https://streamable.com/wk56e

These aren't the games' melee mechanics at fault here. You're throwing random blows into the air lol

lol

Arrrammis

I love holo pilot.
oumyi3c.gif

Arrrammis

Dear Titanfall 2 OT
from respawn
via linus

It feels like this was addressed to either the last OT or way earlier in this one. The last 2.5 ish pages (since the latest road map reveal) haven't had much outright negativity fired at the game or Respawn at all (aside from the occasional "I don't like pilots only modes" or "I really dislike the pilot glow". Plenty of personal drama though). Mostly it's been discussion about the recent trailer and people expressing interest and excitement over the content revealed in the road map and people new or returning to the game because of the revealed content.

Top Bottom