• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Arrrammis

Outplayed a guy in the first round a coliseum game, after that he started spamming party invites... didn't accept, killed him. Too many DDOS'ers out there, grabbing IP addresses from chat parties.

BTW Shem and I are rolling High TTK on PS4 if anyone wants to join, just message me

Titanfall 2 just gonna keep placing me on teams of drool cups, just gonna keep quitting within 60secs.

Not my job to babysit people who cant put their pants on without help.

Worst curated matchmaking of any game since Halo 2 popularized the concept in 2004. Not even close. Garbage.

Arrrammis

Trying out the Cold War, it's fun firing 4 shots at once, but it's so weird being locked into the firing animation. I'm sure there's a good game balance reason, but I wish that I could use it like the charge rifle and not be locked in to firing once I touch the trigger. Too often I kill with the first burst and immediately start to charge another shot, and can't cancel it and just waste 1/4 of my ammo.

Apart from that, it still feel really weird that the splash damage does more damage than a direct hit. I can land all 4 shots directly on a guy but he survives, but if I barely miss him and hit the ground below him he dies? It's pretty hard to get used to.

Apart from that, it still feel really weird that the splash damage does more damage than a direct hit. I can land all 4 shots directly on a guy but he survives, but if I barely miss him and hit the ground below him he dies? It's pretty hard to get used to.

Wait, is that why it feels really inconsistent? It sounds backwards for a grenadier weapon to require not getting direct hits to do more damage

Titanfall 2 just gonna keep placing me on teams of drool cups, just gonna keep quitting within 60secs.

Not my job to babysit people who cant put their pants on without help.

Worst curated matchmaking of any game since Halo 2 popularized the concept in 2004. Not even close. Garbage.

I have Like a 75% win ratio playing strictly solo so maybe it's you? This game has a tiny player base ps4 has like 8-9k players on. If anything they need to put a region lock in matchmaking or fix whatever is causing the few laggy players skipping around in every lobby.

The games not competitive so no need for skilled based matchmaking. I wish we had a competitive mode but we don't have the population to support it.

I have Like a 75% win ratio playing strictly solo so maybe it's you? This game has a tiny player base ps4 has like 8-9k players on. If anything they need to put a region lock in matchmaking or fix whatever is causing the few laggy players skipping around in every lobby.

The games not competitive so no need for skilled based matchmaking. I wish we had a competitive mode but we don't have the population to support it.

Cool. I have a 65% win ratio, including the multitude of games quit that count as losses. Of games completed, I'd wager close to a 85% win rate. Including all those quits and lossess, Ive landed top 3 in 75% of matches played. Of the top 3 finishes, half are MVP.

The vast majority of my quits are done within the first minute of play, as its incredibly easy to identify shit players based on their breakout. If its clear I am the only person in the match with even basic awareness of the primary routes through the map, where the enemies are at any given time, etc, then I leave the farm animals to be butchered.

No need for skill-based matchmaking? Nonsense. Compeitive players are not the only players that want to be placed on teams of similarly skilled players against similarly skilled opponents. Few players want the task of playing babysitter for 4 or 5 players against a 6-stack. The utter failure of the matchmaking in this game is arguably the biggest reason its failed to build or retain a user base.

Its still a fun game. And modes like Bounty Hunt let you carry the weight of five drool cups at times, but rare is the satisfying back and forth match between genuinely even teams. Its a real shame.

Cool. I have a 65% win ratio, including the multitude of games quit that count as losses. Of games completed, I'd wager close to a 85% win rate. Including all those quits and lossess, Ive landed top 3 in 75% of matches played. Of the top 3 finishes, half are MVP.

The vast majority of my quits are done within the first minute of play, as its incredibly easy to identify shit players based on their breakout. If its clear I am the only person in the match with even basic awareness of the primary routes through the map, where the enemies are at any given time, etc, then I leave the farm animals to be butchered.

No need for skill-based matchmaking? Nonsense. Compeitive players are not the only players that want to be placed on teams of similarly skilled players against similarly skilled opponents. Few players want the task of playing babysitter for 4 or 5 players against a 6-stack. The utter failure of the matchmaking in this game is arguably the biggest reason its failed to build or retain a user base.

Its still a fun game. And modes like Bounty Hunt let you carry the weight of five drool cups at times, but rare is the satisfying back and forth match between genuinely even teams. Its a real shame.

I just don't think it will help with such a low population I already see so many laggy players. The game already has some form of skill based matching anyways.

I'm really enjoying the high time to kill Playlist I got some clips from the last 24 hours with a good mix of guns. I don't really like hard point or marked for death but the playlist is a blast so far.

What's with people glitching into the wall on crash site in marked for death is this new ? Bonus clip of the kids glitching and getting pay back on them at the end of the video. Is this a known glitch on the ps4?

https://youtu.be/AaFLDI95MtA

NeOak

Finally logged in to PS4 TF2 and played on the Hori PS4 Monitor I just got.

Too bad the Elite POS controller I bought for the PS4 goes haywire after a few mins :/

But shit man, I need to play more.

the_big_country

Neo Member
Too bad the Elite POS controller I bought for the PS4 goes haywire after a few mins :/

If you're willing to spend the money on a proper pro controller for the PS4, the best companies are those that just mod a normal DualShock 4. I went with Battle Beaver, but there are other companies (Cinch, Sharq, AimControllers.) Don't buy a Scuf since it'll break if you look at it funny, and you're gonna pay more than you would for an Elite controller.

Alternatively if you have an Elite, buy a CronusMAX or Brooks converter and go wild.

NeOak

If you're willing to spend the money on a proper pro controller for the PS4, the best companies are those that just mod a normal DualShock 4. I went with Battle Beaver, but there are other companies (Cinch, Sharq, AimControllers.) Don't buy a Scuf since it'll break if you look at it funny, and you're gonna pay more than you would for an Elite controller.

Alternatively if you have an Elite, buy a CronusMAX or Brooks converter and go wild.
I already have a XBO Elite controller, so I'll buy the converter. Thanks for the suggestions.

I already have a XBO Elite controller, so I'll buy the converter. Thanks for the suggestions.

The cronus adds a bit of input lag that you may notice if you are really sensitive to that.

Yeah, it helps the skill gap a ton.

Though I'm surprised how much I find myself missing boosts. Guess I got used to Amped Weapons and extra batteries, lol

Loosing batteries and amped weapons is worth it to get rid of those stupid sentry guns. I still question why they thought those would be a good idea.

Need a few more pointers for using Northstar. I have her at gen 5 already, but I feel like I'm still not doing as well as the other titans. My kits are usually counter ready or extra dash, and viper thrusters or enhanced payload.

Arrammis and shem, I know you guys run her so I was wondering if you have any tips. My biggest problem is usually survivability and not dealing enough damage.

Arrrammis

Need a few more pointers for using Northstar. I have her at gen 5 already, but I feel like I'm still not doing as well as the other titans. My kits are usually counter ready or extra dash, and viper thrusters or enhanced payload.

Arrammis and shem, I know you guys run her so I was wondering if you have any tips. My biggest problem is usually survivability and not dealing enough damage.

If you could post some gameplay that might make it easier to give pointers, but in general:
-Fully charge a shot before you round a blind corner if there's a chance that there's an enemy titan there
-flight core is a death with unless you can manage to catch your target(s) completely be surprise
-When fighting an enemy titan, I usually follow up my first shot with a cluster. If it hits, the bombs will stay there in the air and keep damaging the enemies.
-I'm sure you've noticed already, but the railgun is not hitscan, so you have to do a bit more prediction with you shots
-Tether traps are great for map awareness, if you throw one down and it get activated, you get an audio cue, so I you're worried about being flanked, throw down a tether trap behind you/on the flank path.
- fully charged shot can instantly kill a doomed titan if you hit the crit point.
-Even if you're fighting an enemy out in the open, I still think it's better to fully charge a shot rather than rapid fire. It causes more damage than rapid firing, conserves ammo, and causes more knockback.
- If a Ronin is charging you, throw down a trap, dash backwards, and keep shooting him. The knockback from the railgun is pretty great, especially if you hit him when he's no blocking.

Personally, I always run extra dash and penetrating shot. Triple dash is just great for mobility, and the penetrating shot goes straight through allies and enemies until it hits hard geometry or a shield, which is very useful for titan fights. You don't have to worry about teammates blocking your shots, just shoot through them and hit the enemy anyways.

If you're interested in some Northstar LTS gameplay from my perspective, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=910adUk2A90 (Ignore my awkward banter)

The cronus adds a bit of input lag that you may notice if you are really sensitive to that.

Loosing batteries and amped weapons is worth it to get rid of those stupid sentry guns. I still question why they thought those would be a good idea.

True.

Just lotta learn to be less aggressive with my Titans (Ion and Monarch). I liked the extra shield cause it let me go a little harder at the enemy ASAP. Now I either gotta steal a battery, or play a more defensive, poking style... at least until I level up Monarch.

NeOak

So I should get the Brooks?

Arrrammis

I'm a little nervous about all of the cars in the new live fire map, but otherwise really looking forward to the update!

Monarch Prime when?

So what's the best primary weapon in mp? I've been using the first rifle for the past few days and it's ok, but if there's better I'd like to know.
And are any of the pistols good enough to have in your secondary slot or should you always have a titan weapon? I've always liked using pistols and revolvers in shooters, but they don't seem very useful in this game compared to an assault rifle.

If you could post some gameplay that might make it easier to give pointers, but in general:
-Fully charge a shot before you round a blind corner if there's a chance that there's an enemy titan there
-flight core is a death with unless you can manage to catch your target(s) completely be surprise
-When fighting an enemy titan, I usually follow up my first shot with a cluster. If it hits, the bombs will stay there in the air and keep damaging the enemies.
-I'm sure you've noticed already, but the railgun is not hitscan, so you have to do a bit more prediction with you shots
-Tether traps are great for map awareness, if you throw one down and it get activated, you get an audio cue, so I you're worried about being flanked, throw down a tether trap behind you/on the flank path.
- fully charged shot can instantly kill a doomed titan if you hit the crit point.
-Even if you're fighting an enemy out in the open, I still think it's better to fully charge a shot rather than rapid fire. It causes more damage than rapid firing, conserves ammo, and causes more knockback.
- If a Ronin is charging you, throw down a trap, dash backwards, and keep shooting him. The knockback from the railgun is pretty great, especially if you hit him when he's no blocking.

Personally, I always run extra dash and penetrating shot. Triple dash is just great for mobility, and the penetrating shot goes straight through allies and enemies until it hits hard geometry or a shield, which is very useful for titan fights. You don't have to worry about teammates blocking your shots, just shoot through them and hit the enemy anyways.

If you're interested in some Northstar LTS gameplay from my perspective, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=910adUk2A90 (Ignore my awkward banter)

Thanks! Yeah, I'll try to record some of my matches with her using my loadouts. I'll test out your loadouts too.

And damn that video, you barely took any damage. Would the same tactics apply for the other game modes like attrition?

amdb00mer

Sweet. Looking forward to this update. And hopefully down the line we get Titanfall 3.

I want Titanfall 3 as well, but first I want some TF2 story DLC. I feel like it's a tad unfinished. Could simply be a mission to go rescue you-know-who.

So what's the best primary weapon in mp? I've been using the first rifle for the past few days and it's ok, but if there's better I'd like to know.
And are any of the pistols good enough to have in your secondary slot or should you always have a titan weapon? I've always liked using pistols and revolvers in shooters, but they don't seem very useful in this game compared to an assault rifle.

The R201/101 is a solid all rounder
Definitely have an Anti Titan weapon equipped unless you're playing PvP. The update thats hitting on the 27th will allow you have 3 weapon slots so you don't have to choose one over the other.

Dez_

High TTK mode is really fun. It's only an extra bullet or two, but it seems to be just enough to make for some more interesting gun fights. I haven't experimented with a good variety of the weapons yet. I can also see the melee becoming more prominent here.

Also, that Titanfall news looks great. Respawn has been doing a fantastic job with these content updates. I take it that the horde mode thing is coming next month, from the sounds of it.

JWiLL

Banned
Just reinstalled the game on PC as I picked up a 1080 last week...and god damn. This is seriously one of the best looking games of all time.

Also still amazes me just how much better the moment to moment gameplay feels than the "future CODs" of the last few years. Respawn really are the masters in this arena.

Sad to see the MP is hovering at around 2k players both nights I've been on. Still one of the greatest marketing/release date blunders of all time from EA.

Bigly sad!

I like basically everything I read in that FNN. GOAT map. Three weapon loadouts coming back... Frontier Defense next month.... Titan Damage on scoreboard for newly permanent Titan Brawl.

AWESOME!

Arrrammis

Thanks! Yeah, I'll try to record some of my matches with her using my loadouts. I'll test out your loadouts too.

And damn that video, you barely took any damage. Would the same tactics apply for the other game modes like attrition?

Dealing with pilots can be one of the more difficult things as Northstar, but I make liberal use of hover and cluster missiles, which are really good against pilots (instant kill if you hit them directly, even if you only splash they rarely have enough time to get away). But other than the pilot aspect, I think the tactics work pretty regardless of mode. You just need to work harder to keep track of the location of allies, and IMO Northstar is not a very good solo titan (I try not to be the first one to ever drop a titan on my team because Northstar has no shields or real defensive abilities).

Dealing with pilots can be one of the more difficult things as Northstar, but I make liberal use of hover and cluster missiles, which are really good against pilots (instant kill if you hit them directly, even if you only splash they rarely have enough time to get away). But other than the pilot aspect, I think the tactics work pretty regardless of mode. You just need to work harder to keep track of the location of allies, and IMO Northstar is not a very good solo titan (I try not to be the first one to ever drop a titan on my team because Northstar has no shields or real defensive abilities).

My experience is the opposite for some reason. I actually do better dealing with pilots than with Titans.

Also, are you using a faster sensitivity when ADSing with her? I considered doing that (all my sensitivities are default).

Izuna

Banned
Every cod pro on twitter and cod competive reddit. They don't like them but had to use them due to Bluetooth interference at events. Even after the supposed no lag update they say it still had a bit.of input lag. I'm sure it's fine for casual use.

May I see some receipts? Because as far as I can test, you get a maximum of 1ms with the CronusMax

Izuna

Banned
Here's a video from Drift0r timestamped to a discussion of the Cronus. I'd take it with a grain of salt because the CoD competitive playerbase are a whiny bunch, and are all on Adderall at events so they're extremely sensitive to these things.

What he says here is different. Yes, there seems to be documented delay with the USB mode. He doesn't seem to blame the CronusMax itself.

AND most of what he says is fucking untechnical BS. Of course the latest patch is the best (some devices are outright unusable without their latest one, including the Elite Controller anyway) and he says less than 1ms delay which would be undiscernable.

What I have seen is a video using a high-speed camera comparing a 360 stick on a PS4 via a Brook adapter showing ~1.Xms lag increase and the same test showing no results from the same person with the Cronus.

Certainly, no one can feel 1ms delay.

Top Bottom