• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

*Message notification pops up after a steamroll match*

"Oh boy, let's see what style of hatemail I get today!"

Umm... Huh... Never gotten a positive message over Titanfall before... Not sure how to react...

I responded commenting on the hate mail thing and wishing him GG's

Ha
Nice

I had a couple freak out after the first clip in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBVyFNjk-C0

The person on the mic called me "dad" and followed me around the round after lol They also sent a message. I wish Titanfall 2 recorded voices in-game as I would have included it but unfortunately it doesn't. At least not when the video was captured.

R6Siege has no issue with it... Respawn???

Titanfall 2 badly needs a weighted 'vote to kick' option.

It's time to put some measure of power into the hands of the player, beyond the noble act of quitting as an act of protest against the matchmaking.

Players should be able to vote to kick players from the team. In many cases, the players the matchmaking places you with are sum negatives to the team, and indeed, are no more than feeders that help the opponent earn boosts and Titans faster. The team would be stronger a man down than with them on the team.

Players with the highest score at the time should have greater weight in the vote than those lower on the scoreboard, as they're doing the bulk of the carrying. If they're fine with the worthless dead weight, or indeed, handicap, then that should matter more than whether the guy that's barely better than the cancerous braindead player has a problem with the guy beneath him on the totem pole or not. Likewise, if the best performer wants the cancerous boil on the ass of the team gone most, it shouldn't matter if said boil is buddies with other team members.

Each player should only have the ability to call for one kick vote per player.

Kicked players should have the situation explained to them in delicate terms. Something like 'your teammates would prefer to be down a man than have you on the team. We recommend replaying the tutorial level in the single player campaign. You can also buy prime titans from the store.'

The ability to bypass curated matchmaking entirely and simply select games from a server browser on console, would be a HUGE improvement too.

JaMarco

Titanfall 2 badly needs a weighted 'vote to kick' option.

It's time to put some measure of power into the hands of the player, beyond the noble act of quitting as an act of protest against the matchmaking.

Players should be able to vote to kick players from the team. In many cases, the players the matchmaking places you with are sum negatives to the team, and indeed, are no more than feeders that help the opponent earn boosts and Titans faster. The team would be stronger a man down than with them on the team.

Players with the highest score at the time should have greater weight in the vote than those lower on the scoreboard, as they're doing the bulk of the carrying. If they're fine with the worthless dead weight, or indeed, handicap, then that should matter more than whether the guy that's barely better than the cancerous braindead player has a problem with the guy beneath him on the totem pole or not. Likewise, if the best performer wants the cancerous boil on the ass of the team gone most, it shouldn't matter if said boil is buddies with other team members.

Each player should only have the ability to call for one kick vote per player.

Kicked players should have the situation explained to them in delicate terms. Something like 'your teammates would prefer to be down a man than have you on the team. We recommend replaying the tutorial level in the single player campaign. You can also buy prime titans from the store.'

The ability to bypass curated matchmaking entirely and simply select games from a server browser on console, would be a HUGE improvement too.
lol keep dreaming

Vote to kick a player just because he isn't being skillful as you are is a freaking terrible idea, elitism to its absolutely worst.

Yup this dudes is always crying about matchmaking which leads me to believe he isn't as elite as he thinks or he could carry. Vote to kick is a really stupid idea

Welcome to the true Titanfall.

I'm usually not a huge fan of sniping in mp games but I can't put the damn kraber down now. Wingman elite is now my favorite secondary as well.

Yup this dudes is always crying about matchmaking which leads me to believe he isn't as elite as he thinks or he could carry. Vote to kick is a really stupid idea

I'm usually not a huge fan of sniping in mp games but I can't put the damn kraber down now. Wingman elite is now my favorite secondary as well.

I dont ever recall claiming to be elite. I can carry teams in bounty hunt, maybe attrition if the other team is also unpartied randoms (I typically play solo, sometimes party up via networks, but nobody ever talks so whats the point?) and not 4, 5 or 6stack. I sure as hell can't single-handedly carry in LTS or CTF, at all.

I want close, fun matches filled with people of similar skill, at reasonable latency. Only the most dedicated apologist would argue thats an unreasonable ask in the year 2017. Short of reaching that apparently impossible goal, I want the players to have power/options to impact or shape the team they're on to make matches closer and more enjoyable.

'Git gud' or 'you're not elite' is no better a response to complaints of a broken matchmaking system than it is a broken meta or unbalanced weapons. The very purpose of curated matchmaking is to prevent scenarios of teams so unbalanced that single players are tasked with carrying the day, among other frustrating lopsided scenarios. If the response is 'git gud', then just give me a serve browzer, and let me roll the dice to see what teams I land with. At least that way, if I'm going to be randomly stuck in bad situations anyway, it's only going to be on maps I want, and I get to see the ping of the match before I'm already in. Titanfall's matchmaking offers all the compromises of curated matchmaking with none of the benefits.

AFK players are already auto-kicked. But a group vote to kick somebody that actively harms your team and helps the opponent more than an AFK player is out of the question? Ok. *shrugs* If all people were as aghast at the notion as some here, the kick vote would never be approved by the team anyway and the match would carry on.

And for the record, if Im having a lousy game, which certainly happens, I do quit. Why should my team have to eat the consequences of faster Titan or boost fills on the other team just cause I cant get my shit together? Let somebody else who isnt ice cold jump in a provide better play.

This isn't Halo, where dropping out of the match leaves your team permanently down in numbers. And Halo doesn't have gameplay systems whereby every kill powers up the opposing team towards potent rewards.

grendelrt

I dont ever recall claiming to be elite. I can carry teams in bounty hunt, maybe attrition if the other team is also unpartied randoms (I typically play solo, sometimes party up via networks, but nobody ever talks so whats the point?) and not 4, 5 or 6stack. I sure as hell can't single-handedly carry in LTS or CTF, at all.

I want close, fun matches filled with people of similar skill, at reasonable latency. Only the most dedicated apologist would argue thats an unreasonable ask in the year 2017. Short of reaching that apparently impossible goal, I want the players to have power/options to impact or shape the team they're on to make matches closer and more enjoyable.

'Git gud' or 'you're not elite' is no better a response to complaints of a broken matchmaking system than it is a broken meta or unbalanced weapons. The very purpose of curated matchmaking is to prevent scenarios of teams so unbalanced that single players are tasked with carrying the day, among other frustrating lopsided scenarios. If the response is 'git gud', then just give me a serve browzer, and let me roll the dice to see what teams I land with. At least that way, if I'm going to be randomly stuck in bad situations anyway, it's only going to be on maps I want, and I get to see the ping of the match before I'm already in. Titanfall's matchmaking offers all the compromises of curated matchmaking with none of the benefits.

AFK players are already auto-kicked. But a group vote to kick somebody that actively harms your team and helps the opponent more than an AFK player is out of the question? Ok. *shrugs* If all people were as aghast at the notion as some here, the kick vote would never be approved by the team anyway and the match would carry on.

And for the record, if Im having a lousy game, which certainly happens, I do quit. Why should my team have to eat the consequences of faster Titan or boost fills on the other team just cause I cant get my shit together? Let somebody else who isnt ice cold jump in a provide better play.

This isn't Halo, where dropping out of the match leaves your team permanently down in numbers. And Halo doesn't have gameplay systems whereby every kill powers up the opposing team towards potent rewards.

But it does, if you drop in LTS or Live Fire the team has a numbers advantage on a no respawn game type. Not to mention when you quit, that ice cold person you refer to more than likely is being dumped into some shitacular game that is half way over and sucks. Nothing is more irritating than having your play time wasted in half way over games you have no change to do anything in. If anything people rage quitting like you are should be the ones punished (which is what CS and Overwatch both do).

Testing Reddit's video upload feature:

How to start a CTF match.

Also that feeling when someone using r97 says "git gud".

10-son-i-am-disappoint.jpg

Izuna

Banned
You know

R2 is one of those games where if you git gud enough you don't have to complain about bad teammates (unless it's LTS etc.)

What is Free Agents?

But it does, if you drop in LTS or Live Fire the team has a numbers advantage on a no respawn game type. Not to mention when you quit, that ice cold person you refer to more than likely is being dumped into some shitacular game that is half way over and sucks. Nothing is more irritating than having your play time wasted in half way over games you have no change to do anything in. If anything people rage quitting like you are should be the ones punished (which is what CS and Overwatch both do).

As far as punishing quitters, good luck. Overwatch does do it. CS does it. Halo 5 does it.

Quitters remain. Their systems don't work. The players wait out the punishment, play again.

The enjoyment of the core gameplay loop pulls them back, the frustration of poor balance or lopsided skill matchups pushes them away. It's a tug of war leading to a pattern of play awhile, frustration builds, quit match, sit out temp ban, play again, repeat.

The only significant fix for quitting is superior matchmaking and balance. There will always be some percentage of the population that quits out of a match due to raw impulsive emotion, and there's really nothing to be done about those instances, you can't fix emotional impulsivity or design around it. But for the most part, people who quit do so because the game has failed to provide a match where they foresee a reasonable shot at victory. These quitters don't do it impulsively, they play a fair bit in the match, read how the match is playing out, observe what their teammates and opponents are doing, intuit the skill gap, check the score gap increasing... then reach a 'point of no return' where they lose hope of victory and leave to find another match. It's not some angry reaction to losing one battle, it's the accumulation of several factors snowballing.

That speaks to the frustration you spoke of talking about being the guy that comes in JIP... lots of people simply immediately back out of matches they JIP, not because of anything frustrating that happened (obviously), simply because they foresee no shot at victory or an enjoyable experience. The point of not return is the point of entering the match to see a lop-sided score.

You put players in matches where they feel they have a legitimate shot at winning until the very last kill, you'll see far fewer quitters. You put players in matches with teammates that can't hold up their end of the bargain and/or up against opponents that clearly outclass them (or their team, in aggregate), people will leave and find a more competitive match. .... or stop playing the game altogther, as obviously many many many many people have with TitanFall 2.

You know

R2 is one of those games where if you git gud enough you don't have to complain about bad teammates (unless it's LTS etc.)

The same could be said of literally any game. Put in enough time and 'git gud' enough, and you will be able to beat the vast bulk of the population aside from top end players working in preset teams against you (and in some cases, maybe even them too).

But assuming game X is not the game you're willing or able to dedicate that time to, or you're not some prodigy, then chances are far greater you fall within the bell curve. This is the population for whom curated matchmaking is meant to serve.

I can 'git gud' with a server browser and zero curation. The point of curation is to provide close matches with limited latency as you climb the ladder of 'gitting gud' or hit your plateau of 'gudness'. Saying 'git gud' is simply taking the responsibility and failure of the developer and their feature suite, and putting it on the player. 'Yeah, this feature doesn't do what it's supposed to, but if you didn't suck it wouldn't matter'. 'Yeah this car's anti-lock brakes don't really work, but if you didn't suck at driving you wouldn't need them'. Great.

So, I always wanted the Titan HUDs to look/feel different (at least a little) than your pilot's so I did something. A reddit post reminded that I wanted to play around with this and now Im finally getting to it! Excuse the quality! Its a video grab pulled from my PS4 :)

This also reminded that faction insignias are bugged for me and aren't displayed in-game near the scores up top. Anyway, I tried to keep things close to the center without being annoying. I hate most things that are enabled by default. Its like the person who created or okay'd these additions wanted to bombard you with redundancy. Most things either have a visual or audio cue. Or both. Then there's the text notifications on top of everything else. Just dumb.

I would love more options for the HUD.

The center killfeed and points pop ups aren't necessary. I would love to enable the killfeed for the bottom right (or left with the above image).

The center text notifications for smoke, boost, and core are, again, unnecessary. The Core notification has both a visual (pulse effect) and audio (OS voice) cue. Plus the text. Smoke and boosts are the odd ones out for some reason. No audio or visual cue (well the icon just appears without anything else) outside of the LARGE text. Why not add the yellow flash effect to these along with the audio ping that is used for Titan abilities?

The rodeo visual is mostly fine minus the RODEO ALERT text and players name. Just unnecessary. Why would you want to know the persons username? Useless info along with the RODEO ALERT text. The image alone tells me all I need to know. Its kind of insulting with how much of the same info is thrown at you. If Im looking at my screen I have that info. I don't need to be constantly reminded with pop ups.

Here is an image I edited with the Titans name and symbol removed because, well, its useless info. I already have them in my sights.

Cleaner right?

Here is another example

More info that only serves as clutter. Something I forgot to highlight is my teammates info. Why do I need to know that when they're not even in my field of view? They're on the other side of the buildings but this info is only there to serve as clutter. I been in situations where I couldnt see an enemy because of the hovering names/health bars/titan names and symbols.

Again, Titan name and symbol when I already have that info.

Here is the Core notifications. LARGE text and pulse effect. Oh and audio too but you cant see that. This along with the other shots also show the top notifications about stalkers, reapers, etc. Why? I see them on the map. Again, adds to the clutter.

I will say that I greatly appreciate the HUD options that are available and, of course, the FoV slider. Big, big thanks for that. The cards, medals, level up ceremonies were just ridiculous and blocked a good portion of the screen. Again, big thanks.

But like most things we can always improve :p

grendelrt

You know

What is Free Agents?

Are you guys on consoles?? Because I can sometimes carry a game on PC but my win rate is nowhere near yours. I am top 3 for 80% of my like 1900 games. But this is what I get on PC all the damn time,
Definitely not anything you can do to carry a lot of the games on PC from my experience.

Drifters

a north of 200 score means you are in the Titan-FLOW rather than the Titanfall. I've had a couple of near 300 point games recently (ironically) with Northstar (who I had long hated) but is a total beast.

Izuna

Banned
If you wanna carry all the time, play Bounty Hunt. Even Didact sits on my shoulder in that game mode because I abuse all the cheap shit and he lets me kill the AI 😁

Are you guys on consoles?? Because I can sometimes carry a game on PC but my win rate is nowhere near yours. I am top 3 for 80% of my like 1900 games. But this is what I get on PC all the damn time,

Definitely not anything you can do to carry a lot of the games on PC from my experience.

On PS4

I can get a pretty good idea of how the match will go within first minute or so. I've just been leaving recently if I come across very bad players. There have been times where I've been carried and it feels great lol

grendelrt

a north of 200 score means you are in the Titan-FLOW rather than the Titanfall. I've had a couple of near 300 point games recently (ironically) with Northstar (who I had long hated) but is a total beast.

If you wanna carry all the time, play Bounty Hunt. Even Didact sits on my shoulder in that game mode because I abuse all the cheap shit and he lets me kill the AI ��

On PS4

I can get a pretty good idea of how the match will go within first minute or so. I've just been leaving recently if I come across very bad players. There have been times where I've been carried and it feels great lol

Yeah that's just a recent example I had a screen of, my point being I dont know how I could get a higher win % when my team sometimes is just un-carriable. I dont really worry about the stats anymore, I am top 3 or mvp in like 9/10 matches now so I know its not me doing it lol. I have also tried not to be salty anymore, I always feel guilty afterwards haha.

Arrrammis

So like. What are the rules?

There are batteries that spawn all over the map, and picking up those batteries is the only way to charge your titan meter. It takes 3 batteries to fully charge your meter, and if you die you drop all of your batteries. (anyone can pick them up)

I don't like it because it's incredibly steamrolly, once one player gets their titan, they can run around taking the batteries from other players and keep healing their titan while making sure that no one else can get their meter up. Since your meter resets when you die, you either have to be really sneaky or really lucky to get your titan if an experienced player already got theirs.

Arrrammis

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/6n68xr/respawn_please_add_glitch_back_to_attrition_map/

Let see if Respawn finally acknowledges this and provides an explanation on why Glitch continues to go missing when Complex and Crash Site appear more often than any other map

Agreed on the Glitch not appearing in Attrition or Bounty Hunt in my experience (I've gotten it in LTS though), but the second part sounds like confirmation Bias. in maybe 15ish hours of playing over the last week or so, I've played Crash Site about 5-6 times and Complex maybe twice. It always feels like maps you don't like come up often, like Colony for me. Too much open airspace for roof campers to use and not enough places to wall run around.

Agreed on the Glitch not appearing in Attrition or Bounty Hunt in my experience (I've gotten it in LTS though), but the second part sounds like confirmation Bias. in maybe 15ish hours of playing over the last week or so, I've played Crash Site about 5-6 times and Complex maybe twice. It always feels like maps you don't like come up often, like Colony for me. Too much open airspace for roof campers to use and not enough places to wall run around.

Crash Site and Complex will come up multiple times within an hour for me. Maybe they're targeting me for my fantastic hot takes/ideas

Alx

Woah, I got to play Glitch in Attrition tonight ! It must have been... the third time since it released. Maybe they fixed it (or I got really lucky)

Izuna

Banned
There are batteries that spawn all over the map, and picking up those batteries is the only way to charge your titan meter. It takes 3 batteries to fully charge your meter, and if you die you drop all of your batteries. (anyone can pick them up)

I don't like it because it's incredibly steamrolly, once one player gets their titan, they can run around taking the batteries from other players and keep healing their titan while making sure that no one else can get their meter up. Since your meter resets when you die, you either have to be really sneaky or really lucky to get your titan if an experienced player already got theirs.

That sounds like ass...

Thanks

Yeah, it makes no sense why trash site and complex come up while Glitch is buried.

Honestly, if you gave me a pot with nothing but glitch, war games, dry dock, relic, angel city, Eden, exoplanet, and maybe colony, I'd probably play nothing else. Few shooters feel as though the quality of the experience is as directly tied to map design than TitanFall. And map design was one of R1's greatest strengths.

Holy crap, you know matchmaking broken when it matches you against......no one...shit you not, there was never anyone on the other side....

Regular occurrence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/6n68xr/respawn_please_add_glitch_back_to_attrition_map/

Let see if Respawn finally acknowledges this and provides an explanation on why Glitch continues to go missing when Complex and Crash Site appear more often than any other map

I have played glitch ctf, PvP, and bounty hunt this week but I havent seen it show up for attrition at all. I play glitch all the time on ps4 so I didn't notice it was an issue.

I guess live fire ctf is up now I'm disappointed we still dont have a playlist for aim assist adjustments.

This game is getting way to frustrating to play on consoles with all the g2 spam. Respawn can you at the very least add a fire rate cap on the g2 PLEASE.

The other thing that's been really annoying me is phase shift if we have to have this stupid shit in the game give it only one charge. Playing a team of phase shifters with g2s in PvP last night was the first time I have ever rage quit.

I was considering putting the game down till changes are made but live fire ctf is gonna pull me back in.

The single charge, longer phase shift in the high TTK playlist felt more balanced to me. It really decreased it's usefulness are far at charging into groups of enemies like an idiot and coming out alive, but maintained it's usefulness as an evasive/retreat option.

Basically, you were much more likely to use the shift to run away and around a corner or something, knowing that you didn't have another one on hand. When you have two, you basically start using one aggressively, secure in the knowledge that if you phase back and the enemy still has line of sight, you can phase again in hopes of escape.

...though frankly, if they wanted to just take that ability out completely, I wouldn't cry about it. And that's coming from somebody who uses it a TON, simply because I find it's the most useful ability for a solo player. When I'm running teams, I use sonar knife since it's team-wide and helps everybody. But as a solo, I'm more concerned with my own survivability... especially if I'm the only guy on the team that seems to be concerned with his own survival.

Top Bottom