• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

VeeP

Titanfall 2 (and BF1) are coming to EA Access soon. I already see the XB1 population hitting 10,000+ so hopefully this can boost the population even further.

grendelrt

Joined like 5-6 matches late today, probably over half my matches. They really need to penalize constant quitters, especially in LTS and Live Fire. Dont know how that isnt a thing at this point. Did finally spend some time with Monarch, did decent, hit or miss whether I get on a roll or not. A couple pilots with thunderbolts or missile launchers can really wreck your day lol.

xrnzaaas

Btw, I used to do this achievement for people for £5-7 on eBay :D It was so great to get free food.

Imo...

You will get it easily if you do these things:
- Learn how to air strafe
- Use Shotgun and EPG-1
- Follow this simple route https://youtu.be/XwoocT96rZg?t=32s (32seconds in)

Lol, I can definitely see a lot of people desperate for the platinum trying to get it using other means (I've stored this for later for the time being ;)). Even the master difficulty playthrough wasn't that hard, especially since the titan boss battles didn't rely on displaying good reflexes and good aim, instead you had to be careful and smart (and a little bit lucky ;)).

The core concept and mechanics package in TitanFall and TitanFall 2 is pretty much beyond reproach IMO. It's so much fun, so frenetic and tactical at the same time. And that core gameplay will keep me coming back pretty much forever.

And the TitanFall 2 campaign is a ton of fun, even if really feels every bit like the 'lets just come up with cool, completely disconnected gameplay ideas, and we'll figure out some thread-bare reason to tie them together' game design it's been described as by the team.

Presentation, both art direction and performance are fantastic. I love the look of this world.

....but dear god, I think Respawn needs a complete reshuffling of talent as far as user experience, community management and basic game maintenance.

The meta has been a mess from day 1, and every time they [eventually] fix one clearly broken element (generally after MONTHS of complaint without so much as a sneeze from the company's spokespeople), something else breaks. And half the time that other thing breaks not as an unintended result or domino effect of the requested fix, but because they just decided to make a change nobody asked for in addition to the requested fix.

The matchmaking is the worst of any game, in any genre, since Halo 2 popularized curated matchmaking in 2004. It's a disgrace. I'm not sure how much is done in house, how much is handled by EA, or if the exchange is what's creating the problems, but the people behind it should not have any part in the matchmaking for TitanFall 3. Or any videogame. Ever.

The map design in TitanFall 2 was really disappointing. Beyond the fact the every single map shipped in the box feels basically the same because of the 3-lane setup, the environments are filled with pointless geometry that serve no purpose other than tripping up players trying to make the most of the game's greatest strength - mobility. Why are there ankle-high lips and rails on so many 'platforms' that take a player traveling 60+ mph to 0 immediately? Why are there rocky outcroppings, tiny branches and twigs with full collision that will stop you on a dime, piping and antenna with collision, and all manner of shit that just offer nothing but a) impediment to consistent, smooth, fast movement and b) visual noise? It feels like a bunch of artists were given free reign to try and show how darn cool and talented they are, without a moment's fucking thought put into how all the details they're putting in annoy the player.

Best maps in the game? Glitch, War Games, and Drydock. Angel City, Eden and Exoplanet are the next tier down. The maps with the LEAST amount pointless, geometric minutia to trip up players.

Worst map in the game? Crash Site. And even after patching it, it's STILL the least fun map to move around on. And for some reason, they refuse to take it out of rotation. At this point it has to just be pure, stubborn ego.

If you want all that graphical flourish in your environment, great. Cut the collision for the player and add some contextual animation for other players to see your player spinning off or hopping over the objects automatically (within the same physical space obviously, and without causing their head to move significantly enough to hamper headshot aiming).

The net code, for whatever reason seems to be regressing badly. Or perhaps the population is just crashing to the point where ping has to be completely ignored just to fill matches.

Reapers are still in the game with full collision, interrupting Titan engagements and impeding tactical retreat by stopping your Titan dead. A year out, and we're still at the point that the 30ft titan doesn't simply knock over or push back the 10ft reaper if they back up into them. Sigh. They are not fun. They have never been fun. They are irritating bullet sponges with zero AI that only serve to annoy and ruin otherwise great player or titan engagements. And in many cases, I actually avoid engagements simply because of the number of Reapers around that I don't want to bother dealing with or taking damage from in the process of trying to fight an enemy titan.

It's been improved massively since launch, but I don't see how a game like this ships with a UI that renders entire modes stillborn on release because they're several page turns away from the main menu. They still really haven't recovered. CTF is essentially a niche mode, despite being a blast, but because so much of the population never even saw it, by the time it was made known, there were two classes - players who have been playing for months and are gods, and new kids who are intimidated to play because they've barely fucking played. No middle ground. So group 2 stays away, and group 1 keeps playing each other as population numbers dwindle.

And finally, it's not a great feeling being hit me up for extra money for fucking tchotchkes like skins, banners and models, when all these significant problems exist. But I understand most of those are simply art assets, and there's no opportunity cost of having your artists pump these things out, cause artists aren't the guys would otherwise be working bring the matchmaking up to speed by 2005 standards, or fixing the lag issues, etc.

But yeah. 8 days game time and counting. It's frustrating, but that core gameplay, when everything is working well... it just beats the shit out of every other FPS experience on the market.

...although LawBreakers does look pretty cool...

I don't know what makes me roll my eyes harder:

Play Titanfall 2: Deal with Phase Shifting Commando Prime users that can melt you with Alternators across the map

Play Titanfall 1: Deal with 6 man parties and constantly be down by 300 in Attrition

Xeteh

The run is on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNo23jjcxaY

Its making me want to play the campaign again

I actually just played it for the first time, visited my cousin and saw he had TF2 for the PS4 and I'd heard really good things about the campaign so I borrowed it from him. I really enjoyed it, really short and sweet but the platforming sections were really fun, combat throws new titan loadouts at you consistently enough to keep things fresh.

I don't play a lot of FPS campaigns but Titanfall 2's was a total blast.

Im hopping on in a few if anyone wants to group up

I actually just played it for the first time, visited my cousin and saw he had TF2 for the PS4 and I'd heard really good things about the campaign so I borrowed it from him. I really enjoyed it, really short and sweet but the platforming sections were really fun, combat throws new titan loadouts at you consistently enough to keep things fresh.

I don't play a lot of FPS campaigns but Titanfall 2's was a total blast.

Yeah, the campaign really surprised me. I've been wanting to go back and complete it on master and maybe even go for the Platinum trophy. It would be my first :p

Shampooh took a crack at Scroches multi-shot upgrade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQWByuEfXa0
"...Curiously, this is actually *disabling* an "alternate reload animation" setting, while his default form has it enabled, making me believe this is how Scorch was originally designed to function before Respawn probably decided it was too strong...."

E92 M3

So sometimes I read these complaint posts and think I'm crazy. Personally, I think TF2 is perfect for a solo player like. MM is fast, weapons are fun, I love most of the maps. Not a lot of complaints.

Respawn, please don't forget about the people that play and enjoy your game. It's been one of my all time favorite shooters next to Destiny.

So sometimes I read these complaint posts and think I'm crazy. Personally, I think TF2 is perfect for a solo player like. MM is fast, weapons are fun, I love most of the maps. Not a lot of complaints.

Respawn, please don't forget about the people that play and enjoy your game. It's been one of my all time favorite shooters next to Destiny.

Same man I'm at like 75% win percentage playing strictly solo and sometimes I leave lobbies when the ping is bad. My only complaint with matchmaking is that I see many high ping players skipping around in lobbies. I would prefer a region lock for matchmaking.

It's always entertaining reading some arm chair developer say this is the worst netcode and match making ever with no knowledge of how things work. I will say that how the netcode performs for me is a step down from titanfall1 but I think that's due to dropping azure and server locations.

I would like to know why my ping to the servers is always significantly lower on the menu than it is in game.

The game still has some balance issues with the g2 and r201 assault rifles aim assist. Some of the design choices like phase shift and the stupid pilot sentry guns are also frustrating.

Personally I felt the high ttk was fantastic and I'm still holding out hope we get aim assist on asualt rifle adjustments and high ttk soon.

Shampooh took a crack at Scroches multi-shot upgrade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQWByuEfXa0
"...Curiously, this is actually *disabling* an "alternate reload animation" setting, while his default form has it enabled, making me believe this is how Scorch was originally designed to function before Respawn probably decided it was too strong...."

Just now getting around to watch this

He should be able to load more than one. It may look powerful/quick because he's playing as BT in the campaign (faster and more than one dash) but this would very much work in MP. Scorch is very slow and situational so adding this would make him a much more viable pick.

Nizz

Damn, I swear it's like fate is preventing me from playing this game. I ordered the game from Amazon back in early June, it was too good a price not to get but it wasn't in stock. Stated it would be 2-5 weeks. I figured why not and ordered it.

A month goes by and I get an email from Amazon stating there was a delay again and I had to approve if I wanted to go through with the order. Disappointed, I canceled the order but found a third party seller (fulfilled by Amazon) that had the game available. So I ordered the game again back on Thursday with the promise it would have been here yesterday.

Go figure, check the mailbox and nope. Game is not here. Talk to customer service and they said if it wasn't here by Monday we would have to go through a refund process and order the game again.

Respawn, I'm trying!

Titanfall 2 is $19.99 at best buy and gamestop (I think $15.99 with GCU at best buy) so those are also options if you aren't tied to amazon, can go out and pick it up right now if a store is near you.

Two jifs that upset me greatly. The second showing my dumb lunge kill.

It attached to the WALL. WHY, RESPAWN? WHY IS THIS IN?
U7XliK0.gif

lb0Wi3T.gif

Cool Power Shot goose :D

aj7eqFS.gif

Bullying a baby Monarch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haFr1Pc5AOk

Punching a Titan into a friendly nuke and...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD9huhaJhG0

Brief video of chasing the Inner Pieces execution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOBOJuYLhG8

Whats in it?

Balance changes (hopefully High TTK across the board) and Frontier Defense

They should bring back the TF1 turrets and create a pilot kit that allows you to fortify them. Takes longer for enemies to hack (bring back Ice Pick). Maybe an Arc rounds upgrade for shields.

Turrets as they are now should not return in TF3. Same for A-wall and Phase Shift.

Also, only three weapons should be hitscan - 1 rifle, 1 smg, and 1 pistol. Having their own behavior, strengths, and weaknesses without feeling samey.

Arrrammis

The new game mode is interesting, but incredibly stream-rolly. Once one person gets their titan, they can just keep camping the battery points and killing whoever comes around, especially if they hop out every so often to pick up batteries. You lose all batteries when you die, so if you are up against a titan who knows how to hoard batteries, you'll never get your titan. I haven't managed to play a match without almost half the people leaving once 1-2 people get titans.

Some more hot ideas

Remove the 1-hit kill melee and replace with executions (like BF1). There should be separate executions for front and rear attacks. Aerial melees should take two to kill.

Smoke grenades should stick to objects, players, titans. It takes too long to be effective.

Co-op where...

Likely the last week of this month

Joined like 5-6 matches late today, probably over half my matches. They really need to penalize constant quitters, especially in LTS and Live Fire. Dont know how that isnt a thing at this point. Did finally spend some time with Monarch, did decent, hit or miss whether I get on a roll or not. A couple pilots with thunderbolts or missile launchers can really wreck your day lol.

Every attempt to punish players for quitting in pretty much any game has failed. The people who quit just wait it out, the punishment is never significant enough to override the immediate frustration of being dicked over by lag, matchmaking, etc.

You reduce quitting by putting players into matches close enough that they believe they can win until the very end, and ensure they feel their struggles are self-inflicted and surmountable, rather than by products of developer-side gameplay design or execution.

Arrrammis

Finally got back into mp after a while away

Does no one online use holo pilot? Rarely see it in matches. I've found it quite useful

I use holo all the time, I think people ignore it because it doesn't have a direct effect on a fight. Phase shift protect you, stim makes you move faster, etc.. But one thing I do notice that is really useful is that a.i. (including auto titans) will always prioritize the holo instead of you.

Arrrammis

What's the benefit of regen?

You basically get reset to level 1, but you keep your credits, camos, progress for stat unlocks (i.e. for executions or some camos), and anything you unlock with credits. IT's basically a way to keep progressing by unlocking more camos, callsigns, etc., but there's no new weapons that you can get.

Arrrammis

*Message notification pops up after a steamroll match*

"Oh boy, let's see what style of hatemail I get today!"

Umm... Huh... Never gotten a positive message over Titanfall before... Not sure how to react...

I responded commenting on the hate mail thing and wishing him GG's

Top Bottom