• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Has Respawn said anything about dying while using Phase Shift, because I've practically lost too many Bounty Hunt matches because I lost just enough bonus to cost us the game from doing said Phase Shift?

Happens to me a lot, too. I think it's sometimes due to the animation? The wrist slapping thing must be complete before you're completely safe? Just theorizing here. Then again, my ping now is almost always 180-200ms so I can't say. xD

Of course reasonable people can differ and I'm not trying to be a snob here. Nor do I think Tone is balanced right now. Let me put my point of view a different way.

I agree Tone is too strong when you look at the sum of her anti-Titan and anti-Pilot abilities. On the anti-Titan side, she's strong but she has counterplay. A player who has trouble fighting Tone as another Titan can learn how to best play against her and improve his game to the point where he can match or beat most Tones.* On the anti-Pilot side, she's strong and she has almost no counterplay. You can't improve your odds of surviving vs Tone by moving better or juking faster because the 40mm hitbox is so big it'll one-shot you regardless of your movement. You basically just have to try and never be in LOS of a Tone, phase shift as soon as she looks in your general direction, avoid being near any surface she can splash off of, etc. (Pilots have a similar problem facing really good Ions actually.)

So if Respawn is going to nerf some aspect of Tone's kit, I'd rather they make the 40mm hitbox smaller and increase the potential for counterplay by rewarding good pilot movement, rather than nerf her anti-Titan abilities in light of the fact that she already has counterplay there. Oh, and make Salvo Core not award core timer since the other cores don't work that way. Does that make sense?

* In case it's helpful to anyone, here are some tips for playing against Tone as Ion. These are probably not news to you but maybe someone will get some mileage out of these.

• The most important thing is to poke safely with Laser Shot. Keep Tone at long range, peek corners and fire one or two Laser Shots, then go back behind cover and wait for Laser Shot to recharge. You trade extremely well since she should not get enough locks to fire rockets before you're back behind cover, and even if she does, they'll either be blocked by cover or you can easily Vortex Shield them on reaction. Use Splitter Rifle opportunistically if she still hasn't turned around after the Laser Shots, but don't just sit there and try to trade with your Splitter Rifle at long range since its damage is pretty pathetic. Just focus on poking with Laser Shot.
  • If you're safely behind cover, you can disembark and reembark to fully recharge your energy bar (this is faster than waiting for it to recharge naturally)
  • If she pops Particle Wall, just wait it out, don't waste time and energy trying to burn it down unless teammates are also shooting it. You will have the advantage once it runs out.
  • Avoid being in the middle of a long lane without any cover (this goes for anyone who tries to fight Tone)--e.g. the sewer sidelane on Drydock.
  • Count her hits against you and be prepared to Vortex Shield the rockets. Be aware you will need to reserve as much as half your energy bar to catch a full tracking rocket salvo depending on your framerate (Respawn plz fix this bug) and whether she has the rocket perk.
  • At close range you'll want to pop laser core if you have it, and if not, spend your energy on laser shot and catching tracker rockets, then use the Splitter Rifle's secondary fire once you're at 0 energy. Splitter Rifle's secondary fire outdps's the 40mm at close range and you can keep firing it at the usual rate of fire even with 0 energy (until you have to reload), which means it's optimal to spend your energy on other abilities before you use the secondary fire. Exception--the Tone is already significantly lower in health than you and you just want to burn her down as fast as possible. In general though, you don't really want to fight Tone at close range unless you know she doesn't have Salvo Core. Even if she doesn't have Salvo Core, it's not as good a trade as poking from afar.
  • If you don't drop your Titan in a bad spot (in the middle of enemy Titans) it is very hard for Tone to force you to fight at her optimal range. Ion and Tone have the same mobility and Ion is great at peeking/kiting.

Nice list. I honestly have no issue with taking down Tones., I've come across good ones, but I don't feel cheated at all. It depends on the map, but for 80 percent of 'em (except maybe Kodai), I can use Ronin to deal with Tone easy.

Even something as wide open (relatively given the other maps' structure), I usually see a ton of Tones and go to town. Last game I had yesterday: https://twitter.com/excaliburps/status/817099329663954944

Most of the enemy Titans were Tones and Ions. Just slip past Tone's shield and she's toast. I think some people expect to fight her head on and win? I mostly run and flank before engaging. I can post clips if people want to as well. I do agree that Tone's kit is the most versatile though, and she's the easiest one to use properly. And yeah, her sonar thing not working on Pilots might mitigate some of her cheese. Way too easy to scour Pilots hiding just by a press of a button. Haha!

Since the big sales happened and I assume a lot of people bought the game since, I have been getting into a LOT of "match in progress" games.

Sometimes I join games that started for only 30 seconds, and sometimes I join matches that started for 4 minutes.

I would say that out of 5 games, 2-3 are in progress that I join.

I just want to play a full match and be able to level up :\ Although I did join a game half way through and they were losing pretty bad and I ended up carrying them and win :D felt bad ass :D

Same. What makes it super worse is, losing or quitting out counts as a loss. Sigh. I have no idea why this is the case. They should have a buffer that stops someone getting an L if they joined a match a minute or two in, no?

This is doubly annoying for me since any Data Center I use now has my ping at 180-200ms. Yep, EVERY game. I am kinda am getting used to it.

Izuna

Banned
I actually don't have any team on Xbox, let alone anyone that plays CTF.

These tournaments constantly banking stuff is making them not worth watching for me.

I can almost confirm that dying in phase shift is a lag thing. I've kinda realised that playing in US servers is a completely different game because of it.

~~

I still don't understand what is making Legion and sometimes Scorch harder to fight on console vs PC. It's like I take more damage or something. Meh. Legions are free Titans anyway (easy to nuke).

EPG and Mozambique has made me a much better player.

Battery pack boost with ronin is a must .

Amped Weapons >>>>> especially since scrubs are giving free batteries.

---

That's it, I'm going to get my G10 this morning. No distractions...

Izuna

Banned
So, I decided to try and see how many Minions I could kill if I went specifically for them.

C27inU5.png

Ronin is amazing. He's basically Stryder + Arc Cannon as first to fall. Also, Sword Core those Reapers, it's one of the better uses for it. Y'all need to try this EPG and Mozambique combo. I can't show it, but I also didn't die that game.

That might be my record. It's a shame it didn't get to Score: 300, but then again, about 11 of those points were just added because it was the final kill.

Hey guys. I wanna buy titanfall 2 for pc. Did the playerbase improve since launch? I remember reading some articles that the game will be dead soon on pc back then.

Izuna

Banned
Hey guys. I wanna buy titanfall 2 for pc. Did the playerbase improve since launch? I remember reading some articles that the game will be dead soon on pc back then.

Depends on your region. EU and US, afaik, are find if you want to play Mixtape (vairiety) or Attrition.

For Bounty Hunt, and all the other modes that aren't Attrition and Pilots vs. Pilots, it gets really hard to find a game.

They supposed to be fixing this, though, by making the Mixtape people matchmake into the specific modes.

You're okay buying it if you're interesting in Attrition and Pilots vs. Pilots, however.

Donos

Since the big sales happened and I assume a lot of people bought the game since, I have been getting into a LOT of "match in progress" games.

Sometimes I join games that started for only 30 seconds, and sometimes I join matches that started for 4 minutes.

I would say that out of 5 games, 2-3 are in progress that I join.

I just want to play a full match and be able to level up :\ Although I did join a game half way through and they were losing pretty bad and I ended up carrying them and win :D felt bad ass :D

which Platform? 9 out of 10 matches are full ones for me (germany/PS4). Maybe it depends on the Network? I only use The Advocate Network (it was just there when i started the game for the first time)

One thing i love the Tone for is sonar. Even if they nerf "it" in the next update, the Sonar would keep me there.

Izuna

Banned
"A Case For Phase Embark"

https://youtu.be/pO6bcEmoGSI

I took this clip because it shows how Phase Embark can safe your life, and how without it you can be screwed.

There are actually quite a few "guaranteed" Nuclear Ejections... (well, if they don't manual eject, but then that's good too isn't it?)

One thing i love the Tone for is sonar. Even if the nerf him in the next update, the Sonar would keep me there.

Don't Misgender Tone

Greddleok

I've been trying with the alternator today and it's super fun.
I get a similar number of kills per match as I did with the hemlock, but I die way more.

SwolBro

Banned
I actually don't have any team on Xbox, let alone anyone that plays CTF.

These tournaments constantly banking stuff is making them not worth watching for me.
what exactly is banned that you are upset about? lol. i mean, really? You want to see amped weapons? you want to see someone running sentry-turret? i don't understand. things are banned to make sure the quality of play is at it's highest.

Amped Weapons >>>>> especially since scrubs are giving free batteries.

I don't even run amped weapons in pilot v pilot. it seems unfair. at this point no one above average should be running anything game breaking. it's a bit contradictory to complain about the matchmaking, or the lack of competition, but then run something as ridiculous as amped weapons.

Izuna

Banned
what exactly is banned that you are upset about? lol. i mean, really? You want to see amped weapons? you want to see someone running sentry-turret? i don't understand. things are banned to make sure the quality of play is at it's highest.

I want the better players to be put in a situation to overcome, otherwise, there's nothing to learn from it.

Case in point, you were saying how Tone isn't too much of an issue, and yet there were limits to how many Tones you could have in the last one.

It's so early, why not let the game run unlocked until after a tournament shows something as OP.

I don't even run amped weapons in pilot v pilot. it seems unfair. at this point no one above average should be running anything game breaking. it's a bit contradictory to complain about the matchmaking, or the lack of competition, but then run something as ridiculous as amped weapons.

That's why I don't complain about it. I just dislike JIP and how the game is gearing the worser players to use unwinning strats like A-Wall and Hemlok.

EPG and Mozambique is definitely up there with the most powerful in the game.

SwolBro

Banned
I want the better players to be put in a situation to overcome, otherwise, there's nothing to learn from it.

Case in point, you were saying how Tone isn't too much of an issue, and yet there were limits to how many Tones you could have in the last one.

It's so early, why not let the game run unlocked until after a tournament shows something as OP.

What the fuck needs to be shown? Say specifically what is banned that should be allowed! Because frankly almost everything is allowed besides stupid boosts. There's only limits on certain stuff. Why do you want to see a team of all hemloks? That makes no fucking sense. You don't want to see variety?

These people that play, that organize these tournaments are good players that are pretty knowledgable with the game. I'm pretty sure a consensus on what is or is not OP already exists. We don't need a tournament to confirm that the goddamn hemlok is OP.

Tone is not too much of an issue in Pub matches. I never said Tone isn't the overall best titan and since Titan's are Heros this time around there's only one titan class per player as it should have been. No one wants to see 4 Tone's pinging sonar pulse every other second.

Sometimes your views are ass backwards. I wonder if you just enjoy being a contrarian.

Izuna

Banned
What the fuck needs to be shown? Say specifically what is banned that should be allowed! Because frankly almost everything is allowed besides stupid boosts. There's only limits on certain stuff. Why do you want to see a team of all hemloks? That makes no fucking sense. You don't want to see variety?

These people that play, that organize these tournaments are good players that are pretty knowledgable with the game. I'm pretty sure a consensus on what is or is not OP already exists. We don't need a tournament to confirm that the goddamn hemlok is OP.

Tone is not too much of an issue in Pub matches. I never said Tone isn't the overall best titan and since Titan's are Heros this time around there's only one titan class per player as it should have been. No one wants to see 4 Tone's pinging sonar pulse every other second.

Sometimes your views are ass backwards. I wonder if you just enjoy being a contrarian.

I'm not being a contrarian, I've held this view since forever, even back when people were talking of banning certain chrs in fighting games.

Let's take MvC2 for example. If you look at earlier competitions you'll see certain characters and strats basically breaking the game and making it unfun, but it took those tournaments to happen before they were banned. It just feels like these rules are trying to force Titanfall 2 to become the game people want to play, and it's not the same as public games at all.

I'm unconvinced that you would have teams choosing only Hemlok, actually. I'd think the best teams would decide that isn't the best strategy. Who knows by this point, because it's not been done.

A tournament will force a competitive environment and will either prove people's suspicions or provide knowledge on how to deal with certain scenarios.

Pilot Sentries are horrible, but would they always be a better choice over Amped Weapons? What if you kill someone with Amped Weapons and pick up their gun, combining that with your boost?

Instead, it's all gutted out and these tournaments don't represent the game we are playing.

What's the point banning a weapon until Respawn makes it so that no one would use it anyway?

As a non-tournament player, I'd like to see what I can take away from the gameplay, not to see people play in a sandbox. I don't have any emotional attachment to these teams. It's just a bad idea for getting people interested in this game.

Why not make a series including the other modes? Skirmish, Bounty Hunt, CTF. I would love to see a tournament like that.

CTF may be competitive and "fair" with these rules, but it isn't the game the vast majority is playing, or anything like it.

The tournaments are doing the equivalent of banning Jean Grey in early MvC3.

SwolBro

Banned
I'm not being a contrarian, I've held this view since forever, even back when people were talking of banning certain chrs in fighting games.

Let's take MvC2 for example. If you look at earlier competitions you'll see certain characters and strats basically breaking the game and making it unfun, but it took those tournaments to happen before they were banned. It just feels like these rules are trying to force Titanfall 2 to become the game people want to play, and it's not the same as public games at all.

I'm unconvinced that you would have teams choosing only Hemlok, actually. I'd think the best teams would decide that isn't the best strategy. Who knows by this point, because it's not been done.

A tournament will force a competitive environment and will either prove people's suspicions or provide knowledge on how to deal with certain scenarios.

Pilot Sentries are horrible, but would they always be a better choice over Amped Weapons? What if you kill someone with Amped Weapons and pick up their gun, combining that with your boost?

Instead, it's all gutted out and these tournaments don't represent the game we are playing.

What's the point banning a weapon until Respawn makes it so that no one would use it anyway?

As a non-tournament player, I'd like to see what I can take away from the gameplay, not to see people play in a sandbox. I don't have any emotional attachment to these teams. It's just a bad idea for getting people interested in this game.

Why not make a series including the other modes? Skirmish, Bounty Hunt, CTF. I would love to see a tournament like that.

CTF may be competitive and "fair" with these rules, but it isn't the game the vast majority is playing, or anything like it.

The tournaments are doing the equivalent of banning Jean Grey in early MvC3.

Ok, your problem is that you're not a tournament type player. Let's just end the conversation there because everything else makes no sense. No one wants to join this tournament to use or go against sentry-turrets, amped weapons, or anything else that is ridiculous in Pub matches. They join these tournaments to play the very best of what Titanfall has to offer not to deal with the assiness of Titanfall. If you don't understand that then there is where your problem sits.

Izuna

Banned
Ok, your problem is that you're not a tournament type player. Let's just end the conversation there because everything else makes no sense. No one wants to join this tournament to use or go against sentry-turrets, amped weapons, or anything else that is ridiculous in Pub matches. They join these tournaments to play the very best of what Titanfall has to offer not to deal with the assiness of Titanfall. If you don't understand that then there is where your problem sits.

You're mistaking me.

It's very important that these tournaments have viewers. The vaaast majority of viewers aren't tournament players (obviously).

You asked why I didn't like the rules, I told you why. At least try and see where I'm coming from. I find it more interesting to watch Overwatch and Halo tournaments over Titanfall tournaments, and I don't play those games like I do Titanfall.

Also, if you only compete in the unpopular mode, then it becomes inaccessible. No wonder you have CTF players being "the best", because they're the only ones who have any tournaments geared for them. Especially with these arbitrary rules. I'm not alone in this.

When you have one set circlejerk coming up every once in a while you know the community has something special. For HaloGAF it is either sprint or ADS, for TitanGAF it is obviously the competitive side of a totally non competitive game.

Izuna

Banned
When you have one set circlejerk coming up every once in a while you know the community has something special. For HaloGAF it is either sprint or ADS, for TitanGAF it is obviously the competitive side of a totally non competitive game.

I literally don't know what you're talking about.

SwolBro

Banned
You're mistaking me.

It's very important that these tournaments have viewers. The vaaast majority of viewers aren't tournament players (obviously).

You asked why I didn't like the rules, I told you why. At least try and see where I'm coming from. I find it more interesting to watch Overwatch and Halo tournaments over Titanfall tournaments, and I don't play those games like I do Titanfall.

Also, if you only compete in the unpopular mode, then it becomes inaccessible. No wonder you have CTF players being "the best", because they're the only ones who have any tournaments geared for them. Especially with these arbitrary rules. I'm not alone in this.

Halo has customized their tournament play since day 1. Chrrriiiist Halo 3, arguably the biggest time for competitive Halo, altered and customized the game from the ground up lol.

The mode is unpopular because it's the hardest mode to be decent at (a long with it not being on the front page) It's the mode that will expose how bad you are. If you don't have real skill sets you won't succeed in CTF. You can get away with being garbage in modes like Bounty Hunt and Attrition. Still, it will be one of the only modes people still play after a year or two down the line. Titanfall 1 CTF/LTS were the next most populated playlists after attrition when everything else was completely dead. Don't jump the gun.

And again listen to how silly you sound. "Arbitrary rules" what nonsense is this? lol The tournament takes away the ability to exploit the stuff that is broken that Respawn has yet to address.

Izuna

Banned
CTF isn't unpopular because it's "the hardest". It's almost always the least popular mode since Quake 3.

It just sounds like fucking elitism to me. Unless Attrition or Bounty Hunt have comeback mechanics etc. it's still a "fair" mode.

The purpose of me complaining about the rules is because it is going to stop whatever competitive scene Titanfall 2 will have from ever being accessible for the majority of players. Banning what makes up the public games is going to make this competitive scene like it was in the original... barely known.

~~~

The worst part is that because this is run by someone on Reddit, it's seen as basically the only tournament there. Making these competitions more accessible will have more people jumping into them. No one's going to play CTF for the first time regardless of how good they think they are, because they aren't going to learn whatever meta less than a month before the competition starts.

~~~

and seriously, stop calling Attrition and Bounty Hunt "only requiring garbage play", you're outright alienating the vast majority or possibly 99% of everyone else in this thread by doing so.

Vipu

Banned
But BH is terrible, it rewards too much campers.
If guy 1 is fast as Sonic running and gunning stuff he might get good score and $ but if he is gonna die to camper at some point and camper gets tons of $.

I like attrition more because of this, camping is less effective and being active is rewarding and you dont lose it all in 1 death.

Izuna

Banned
But BH is terrible, it rewards too much campers.
If guy 1 is fast as Sonic running and gunning stuff he might get good score and $ but if he is gonna die to camper at some point and camper gets tons of $.

I like attrition more because of this, camping is less effective and being active is rewarding and you dont lose it all in 1 death.

That camper only gets 25% of the $ the fast dude collected, though.

I haven't played BH in a while however. Attrition is super fast and easy, and I'm using it to get my G10

SwolBro

Banned
CTF isn't unpopular because it's "the hardest". It's almost always the least popular mode since Quake 3.

It just sounds like fucking elitism to me. Unless Attrition or Bounty Hunt have comeback mechanics etc. it's still a "fair" mode.

The purpose of me complaining about the rules is because it is going to stop whatever competitive scene Titanfall 2 will have from ever being accessible for the majority of players. Banning what makes up the public games is going to make this competitive scene like it was in the original... barely known.
CTF is hard. It's been hard and it will remain hard for majority of FPS. If this has been going on since Quake 3 then there is no need to bullshit - CTF wont' be accessible to a vast majority of players that do not care about a high level of play regardless if the limitations on broken shit, which you dont' seem to point out, isn't in the game.

If things that are easily exploitable are in the game the better players will use them far more efficiently than the lesser players. Use some proper logic izuna for christ sakes man.

The worst part is that because this is run by someone on Reddit, it's seen as basically the only tournament there. Making these competitions more accessible will have more people jumping into them. No one's going to play CTF for the first time regardless of how good they think they are, because they aren't going to learn whatever meta less than a month before the competition starts.
There is no complicated meta to learn. This isn't like imposing crazy restrictions or rules to a League of Legends type of game nor is this like Halo 3 where everything from movement speeds and jump height/float were drastically changed from the standard game. Stop exaggerating.

and seriously, stop calling Attrition and Bounty Hunt "only requiring garbage play", you're outright alienating the vast majority or possibly 99% of everyone else in this thread by doing so.
In this very thread we have pretty much everyone complaining about how bad the general population is but i'm criminal for rejecting those modes as anything other than usually terrible play? Hm, ooookay.

Not sure why this happens in gaming threads but it's odd reasoning to get offended by others that talk about higher level play. In order to be good at something it requires time, you know this - Time+inherent ability= skill. If you don't put in time you won't get better. So, the people that tend to put time into a game end up seeking higher level of play, they want to play better players because stomping less skilled or new players gets old fast. Once you seek out more competition you end up realizing you won't get that in the normal casual modes and you'll have to jump into a ranked (which usually is objective modes) or a tournament type setting. That's how it has worked for every FPS i have ever played since the late 90s.

No one should get offended by this or turned off. It's reality.

Izuna

Banned
No one should get offended by this or turned off. It's reality.

No, this is your decision.

It's a mode that's damn near impossible to even play in a lot of regions and even harder to get into a match on for PC. You just said it requires a lot of skill, if that's the case, then yeah, it's inaccessible.

If competitive Titanfall is CTF only, then quite frankly, I don't care about it for the same reason a lot of people don't.

The fact that you can't see anything wrong about that is upsetting, because it gives me reason to believe the community itself doesn't.

And when I referred to teams not willing to play CTF, I mean that there are teams or groups of friends that like LTS, Bounty Hunt, perhaps there are teams that are coming up with Amped Hardpoint strats or are merely playing a lot together. Like, GameSager himself exclusively plays CTF as well. If we only have CTF, all those teams of people who could be joining to make up the numbers (which is the most important thing), can't join.

Especially if they find out they will have to play with entirely different rule sets such as "no you can't use that weapon or use Phase Shift".

Honestly, it reminds me a lot of GameSager wanting Respawn to nerf "the only thing that kills him" in pub games.

The fact that we have never had any Titanfall 2 competition revolving around the most popular modes or "as is" rules is like taking the crumbs at the bottom of a Fruit & Fibre box, and separating only the bits of raisin and sultana because fuck the bran. -- Even if the bran is the worst bit, without it there's barely anything left and it also creates a variety to the flavour at least.

I do feel like you're unable to understand the casual or "average" players are what keep this game alive. It's important they're addressed because they're the majority of the fans. It's also why Respawn is looking into Tone further, but regardless if "the pros" don't mind her, everyone else is getting sick of it.

That reddit thread itself, which announced the tournament, has other people complaining about the rules also. This isn't a "me" thing.

--

P.S. CTF, in pub games, is super easy to carry if you're gdlk. Just like every mode in the game barring LTS and Amped Hardpoint.

There better be an option to disable in-match text chat, because there are some people who will relentlessly do mean things in there, and I don't want that showing up on my screen.

Not that I'm complaining about the people doing said actions; free kills if I find them since they're too busy typing out all of those insults

Izuna

Banned
I didn't find the Ion glitch super game breaking (maybe it is for LTS though).

There better be an option to disable in-match text chat, because there are some people who will relentlessly do mean things in there, and I don't want that showing up on my screen.

Not that I'm complaining about the slurs themselves; free kills if I find them since they're too busy typing out all of those insults

yeah, there's a word in particular that keeps popping up.

Just finished the campaign. Wow what a ride. I really hope we get a third one with a longer campaign. The levels with
time traveling
was god damn amazing. I got huge Portal 2 vibes from that level.

Now to get the platinum, I only have to get 5 more trophies

SwolBro

Banned
If competitive Titanfall is CTF only, then quite frankly, I don't care about it for the same reason a lot of people don't.

The fact that you can't see anything wrong about that is upsetting, because it gives me reason to believe the community itself doesn't.

And when I referred to teams not willing to play CTF, I mean that there are teams or groups of friends that like LTS, Bounty Hunt, perhaps there are teams that are coming up with Amped Hardpoint strats or are merely playing a lot together. Like, GameSager himself exclusively plays CTF as well. If we only have CTF, all those teams of people who could be joining to make up the numbers (which is the most important thing), can't join.

Especially if they find out they will have to play with entirely different rule sets such as "no you can't use that weapon or use Phase Shift".

Honestly, it reminds me a lot of GameSager wanting Respawn to nerf "the only thing that kills him" in pub games.

The fact that we have never had any Titanfall 2 competition revolving around the most popular modes or "as is" rules is like taking the crumbs at the bottom of a Fruit & Fibre box, and separating only the bits of raisin and sultana because fuck the bran. -- Even if the bran is the worst bit, without it there's barely anything left and it also creates a variety to the flavour at least.

I do feel like you're unable to understand the casual or "average" players are what keep this game alive. It's important they're addressed because they're the majority of the fans. It's also why Respawn is looking into Tone further, but regardless if "the pros" don't mind her, everyone else is getting sick of it.

That reddit thread itself, which announced the tournament, has other people complaining about the rules also. This isn't a "me" thing.

--

P.S. CTF, in pub games, is super easy to carry if you're gdlk. Just like every mode in the game barring LTS and Amped Hardpoint.

I think you're not understanding what a tournament or pug play is about. It's about playing the game at it's highest level. No one goes into a tournament to play the most casual, player friendly mode offered. That's completely pointless. LTS tournaments are about to start being posted by the way. Are you going to join in on that?

Anyways, attrition was created as a casual mode for people to succeed at even if they are bad. Why on earth would you bring the mode over to a sweaty? You think that's going to attract a lot of players? I doubt it. It won't make a difference and it goes against the whole point of competitive play.

CTF incorporates every single facet of titanfall and the skill sets required to be really good at the game. No actual CTF team would lose to attrition players in an attrition mode or you don't realize that yet? Attrition/bounty hunt by their very nature allows for a stationary, low skill ceiling type of play style to succeed. Players that do well in attrition/bounty hunt begin to assume they are good. That isn't an insult, it's not their fault, it's the mode. I don't even know why i'm arguing with you about this. This was already debated and settled in Titanfall 1 when a group of sweaty attrition players decided to go up against a ctf team in an attrition game. The massacre was ugly.

Izuna

Banned
LTS tournaments are about to start being posted by the way. Are you going to join in on that?

Being in the UK on a garbage connection, nah. You see how long it's taking me to reach G10. I think 60% of my playtime is just me leaving the game running (I've actually done that for like 5 hours today alone).

Anyways, attrition was created as a casual mode for people to succeed at even if they are bad. Why on earth would you bring the mode over to a sweaty? You think that's going to attract a lot of players? I doubt it. It won't make a difference and it goes against the whole point of competitive play.

I think you missed the part where I was suggesting a variety of Skirmish, Bounty Hunt and CTF.

I also highly doubt the mode was "created for casuals". At the very least, this current Attrition we have in Titanfall 2 is really bad at that.

Players that do well in attrition/bounty hunt begin to assume they are good.

I have to ask. where are you seeing this? I have never seen anyone talk about how mlg pro they are in these modes. It sounds more like CTF players are just being elitist and like to say "the most popular mode in the game" is just garbage for garbage players.

This was already debated and settled with the first game when a group of sweaty attrition players decided to go up against a ctf team in an attrition game. The massacre was awful to watch.

What debate? Surely you can understand that anyone who was interesting in playing competitive Titanfall would have had to become a CTF player, so you were left with the online warriors. Besides, doesn't that mean that Attrition isn't super casual if the best team wins?

---

I honestly don't know why you can't understand that I am giving my opinions about how this is going to destroy any chances Titanfall 2 had at becoming a commonly played game. These organisers are going to find that less and less people will be interested, meanwhile there's this large group of would-haves preferring the TDM modes.

I'd be all over a championship series that use multiple game modes, rather than unpopular mode tournaments. Who's gunna watch that?

I think you're not understanding what a tournament or pug play is about. It's about playing the game at it's highest level. No one goes into a tournament to play the most casual, player friendly mode offered. That's completely pointless. LTS tournaments are about to start being posted by the way. Are you going to join in on that?

CTF incorporates every single facet of titanfall and the skill sets required to be really good at the game. No actual CTF team would lose to attrition players in an attrition mode or you don't realize that yet? Attrition/bounty hunt by their very nature allows for a stationary, low skill ceiling type of play style to succeed. Players that do well in attrition/bounty hunt begin to assume they are good. That isn't an insult, it's not their fault, it's the mode. I don't even know why i'm arguing with you about this. This was already debated and settled in Titanfall 1 when a group of sweaty attrition players decided to go up against a ctf team in an attrition game. The massacre was ugly.

they might lose since they would never be able to find the flag to cap.

Calderc

Can we just admit that Izuna and Swolbro have colossal, identically sized dicks and move the fuck on from this tedious shit?

Arrrammis

That's an aaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwful bunch of generalizing you have there. CTF and attrition have completely different focuses and skill requirements to win. In CTF, you never have to shoot an enemy, much less manipulate enemy spawns and keep track of what's spawning where.

CTF is all about keeping track of the enemy team's position, knowing that they will always spawn in the same place, and running a route that you can use to get the flag and get back safely. It's extremely easy to do compared to Attrition and bounty hunt because I always know where they enemy will respawn, which is one of the things that can catch people off guard in attrition. Plus, on average I can say that the average CTF player I encounter, even which playing against groups, is not better than the average player in attrition. I can load into a game, note where the enemies are, and just choose my approach and get out with the flag pretty easily. Of course, just like every other mode, there are people who know what they're doing, and they'll be able to anticipate players coming in and have their own routes, but those are the players that can do well in any mode.

Players are not automatically better because they play one game mode over another. Hell, some CTF players would get stomped in attrition because they don't know how to shoot, because they rarely have to if they're quick and good at movement in CTF. Quit trying to convince yourself that you're MLG pro just because you only play a certain mode. Oh, this one group got beaten by another tryhard group? Must mean that nobody in that playlist is good!

If you're so convinced that AI makes attrition too easy, there's another mode (domination I think?) which is only pilots and titans in a deathmatch. Try that out, it can get really sweaty and fun if two teams are evenly matched, and the lack of cemented spawns means that teams can retreat, regroup, flank, and manipulate the enemy to gain an advantage. Campers get absolutely destroyed by any kind of mobile player since there's no AI to farm or flag to camp beside, which makes it feel more mobile to me that even CTF.

Izuna

Banned
It's fair to say that Swolbro is the closest thing to MLG Pro. He's pretty amazing at this game. ~~ I'm not disagreeing for the sake of it, I just wish that there were some lessons learnt from competitive Titanfall 1.

I think Swol and Izuna are coming at this from pretty different perspectives and this causes the never ending debate.

Thinking about spectatorship, which is Izuna's perspective, it's often more interesting to watch an experience that's compatible with your own. So being able to watch a game at an esport level that matches the experience you can have in ranked play, it's easier to relate to what's happening, why people are using certain weapons, the dynamics of the game type. For spectatorship it's often better to have the features of the regular modes. Locking off things like boots, which might be a big part of some players playstyles, can cause the gameplay to look alien when compared to their own.

Of course games like Halo use modified rulesets for those tournaments, but the developers of those games have streamlined that competitive support with MLG playlists, which are competitively balanced for the esport scene and allow everyone to jump in and test their skill within a competitively regulated mode, Titanfall doesn't do that, so aside getting some friends together into private games with custom rulesets, there's few ways in which casual Titanfall players will relate to Titanfall as an esport.

The solution then, would be to add something like a 3 vs 3 ranked playlist with a competitive ruleset. With that said however, I do not think single pick items are the solution, instead, Respawn should work towards balancing the game in a way that validates and encourages the use of a wide variety of Titan's and equipment.

Swol's perspective comes from that as a player, so he's thinking about competitive validty, which is an equally valid perspective. He wants everything removed from the game that would make the matches stale or unfair towards a certain side, so that then the deciding factor becomes more weighted towards a teams skill rather than their loadout decisions. This is especially significant if certain loadout options are very powerful, and would cause the majority of players to gravitate towards certain picks, as it would also make the game quite repetitive to watch.

The unfortunate problem with both of these perspectives however is that Respawn haven't shown any indication that they care about Titanfall's competitive scene. What does that mean then? It means that the competitive scene is for the players, not the spectators. It's for the people that want to play at a high level because they enjoy that, not to attract massive numbers of spectators and build a competitive scene. If it were the latter, Respawn would need to support it. In this regard it means that to some degree, Swol's points are more valid than Izuna's, because Titanfall wasn't built as a competitive game, it doesn't have the support from its developer / publisher to allow it to flourish as a competitive platform, that would make people want to watch. So the primary concerns are not what affects the spectators but instaed the players, and in which case, they should balance the ruleset around what they feel is competitively valid and enjoyable. However, at the same time they will need to be aware that they can't expect other casual players to watch or care about the competitive scene. The level of play in the competitive scene will also remain relatively low, compared to other games where a heightened level of competitive play is encouraged through monetary incentive (causing many many more players to effectively, take the game a little more seriously) and support from the games deveoper.

If the game were supported by its developers in a competitive capacity and a larger portion of the community cared about its competitive scene, then Izuna's perspective would have more validity, but as it stands until we see any real competitive support facilitated by Respawn, both with competitive modes and balance tweaks, then the competitive element of TF2 is for the players, and not the spectators. In this case, Swol's views are more paramount because they reflect the views of someone more significantly affected by the adjustments. Izuna suggests changes for the sake of spectatorship, what spectators? The average player does not watch competitive Titanfall 2, they do not care, and the developers seemingly do not care.

The other issue is that Izuna would argue with a wall on a topic as simple as the colour of the sky, provided it would argue back. I myself ended up in a several reply debate with him about something as trivial as response latency on monitors and USB devices, only a few pages ago. An argument that I wasn't at all vested in, but one that he would not let drop, even after I stated that I wasn't interested in the conversation.

That's an aaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwful bunch of generalizing you have there. CTF and attrition have completely different focuses and skill requirements to win. In CTF, you never have to shoot an enemy, much less manipulate enemy spawns and keep track of what's spawning where.

CTF is all about keeping track of the enemy team's position, knowing that they will always spawn in the same place, and running a route that you can use to get the flag and get back safely. It's extremely easy to do compared to Attrition and bounty hunt because I always know where they enemy will respawn, which is one of the things that can catch people off guard in attrition. Plus, on average I can say that the average CTF player I encounter, even which playing against groups, is not better than the average player in attrition. I can load into a game, note where the enemies are, and just choose my approach and get out with the flag pretty easily. Of course, just like every other mode, there are people who know what they're doing, and they'll be able to anticipate players coming in and have their own routes, but those are the players that can do well in any mode.

Players are not automatically better because they play one game mode over another. Hell, some CTF players would get stomped in attrition because they don't know how to shoot, because they rarely have to if they're quick and good at movement in CTF. Quit trying to convince yourself that you're MLG pro just because you only play a certain mode. Oh, this one group got beaten by another tryhard group? Must mean that nobody in that playlist is good!

If you're so convinced that AI makes attrition too easy, there's another mode (domination I think?) which is only pilots and titans in a deathmatch. Try that out, it can get really sweaty and fun if two teams are evenly matched, and the lack of cemented spawns means that teams can retreat, regroup, flank, and manipulate the enemy to gain an advantage. Campers get absolutely destroyed by any kind of mobile player since there's no AI to farm or flag to camp beside, which makes it feel more mobile to me that even CTF.

The general rule is that competitive play focuses on placing the emphasis on a players skill, removing confounding factors that may mask it. The reason Attrition would never be a competitive mode is because the AI add variance beyond the players, skillful control. The AI in Attrition, or Bounty Hunt are far less predictable than say, the AI in a typical MOBA and that presents an issue when it obscures competitive play. Perhaps the most egregious example would be in Bounty Hunt, let's say two Titan's of opposing team's control attack a bounty Titan at the same time. That bounty Titan cannot attack both players, therefore once the neutral Titan is dead only one of the other players has taken significant damage, allowing the opposing player to kill his Titan. Here the AI's decision is difficult to anticipate and yet influences the game in a significant way. The same could be said of the habbits of the reapers in Attrition.

SwolBro

Banned
Being in the UK on a garbage connection, nah. You see how long it's taking me to reach G10. I think 60% of my playtime is just me leaving the game running (I've actually done that for like 5 hours today alone).
You never lagged on my screen when you played on NY servers. And as long as you're under 200ping you should be fine. One of the best Titanfall players plays on a South American shit ping. No excuses. Join the LTS tournament. In the end it's for fun.

I think you missed the part where I was suggesting a variety of Skirmish, Bounty Hunt and CTF.
Skirmish has too many people. There will never be teams of 8. Organizing 4 players to all meet up and play is hard enough for most people.

Bounty hunt, like attrition, doesn't promote anything that would entice competitive players to play and i think you're overstating how interested the normal population would be interested in playing these modes in a tournament setting. Fact is i'm sure if you played a sweaty in some of these modes it could be fun/funny initially but people would get bored of it fast.

What drives competitive play is competition. A hardcore me vs you challenge. Not shooting a.i to gain points.

I also highly doubt the mode was "created for casuals". At the very least, this current Attrition we have in Titanfall 2 is really bad at that.
One of the reasons Respawn decided to introduce a.i into the matches were for people that weren't good at shooters to contribute to their teams score. It's a casual mode.

I have to ask. where are you seeing this? I have never seen anyone talk about how mlg pro they are in these modes. It sounds more like CTF players are just being elitist and like to say "the most popular mode in the game" is just garbage for garbage players.
Look at what Arramis just posted. I've debated stuff like that before a numerous amounts of times on Reddit. Don't you remember the big attrition backlash on reddit some time ago? This has nothing to do with CTF elitism.

Besides, doesn't that mean that Attrition isn't super casual if the best team wins?
No? That's like saying professional baseball players would lose at softball.

I honestly don't know why you can't understand that I am giving my opinions about how this is going to destroy any chances Titanfall 2 had at becoming a commonly played game. These organisers are going to find that less and less people will be interested, meanwhile there's this large group of would-haves preferring the TDM modes.
I can understand the TDM concept. People love straight up slayer/deathmatch type games. I can't argue that. The thing is Titanfall doesn't really shine on that front. You say it all the time, PVP is trash. LTS tournies are there for the TDM aspect of the game. The point of Titanfall is that it's different than these other shooters. It's a hyper fast mobile shooter. What's the point in playing if it's undistinguishable from COD? or any other shooter? Which it would be for pvp deathmatch games.

Respawn is yet to nail the pvp death match aspect of the game. I think they'd do well by looking at quake/unreal... something where they combine the coliseum type enclosures with titanfall style maps if that's even possible.

I'd be all over a championship series that use multiple game modes, rather than unpopular mode tournaments. Who's gunna watch that?
the same people that watch any type of competitive tournaments. You're assuming because competitive titanfall is small that it's the fault of the community. Once again you present really odd reasoning. Titanfall isn't as big as some of these other games in general. It has nothing to do with the competitive community.

And i find it a bit ironic that this narrative that you have to build a game around the casual feel good 5min playtime population is what brings in the player base, the monies. We're seeing that this isn't the case anymore. Mid-tier competitive games like rocketleague are taking over. Games built around competitive player bases (even if it's on accident) is what is lasting right now. Counter-Strike is practically unfucking changed in over a decade and it's as hardcore as hardcore FPS gets. That game is still popular. Hell, look at Overwatch. They built that game around a very fundamentally defined hardcore team aspect.

It's really really ironic if you think about it. COD is responsible for that extreme casual every other year (now yearly) FPS iterations. It boomed. It's what people thought had to be done to succeed but that's all changing. I don't think that is the type of games that will last.

Me too.
When I combine MLG pro + Console my calculator breaks.
I do to. I cringe when someone brings up MLG or "pros" . Notice i never use the word "pros".

You don't have to be some teenager MLG dreamer in order to want to play a game competitively within a community, especially when the game does not offer a ranked playlist.

EDIt:
The other issue is that Izuna would argue with a wall on a topic as simple as the colour of the sky, provided it would argue back. I myself ended up in a several reply debate with him about something as trivial as response latency on monitors and USB devices, only a few pages ago. An argument that I wasn't at all vested in, but one that he would not let drop, even after I stated that I wasn't interested in the conversation.

lmao. This is true. All in good fun.

Top Bottom