• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TNA wrestling is dead, it is now Global Force Wrestling

Kaladin

In a move designed to distance itself from the financial struggles and legal drama that hung over its brand, Anthem Sports announced last week it has purchased Nashville-based Global Force Wrestling.

The move signals the end of TNA, the professional wrestling league that once served as home to legends Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair and as a launching pad for future stars A.J. Styles and Samoa Joe.

Anthem Sports, the Canadian company that also owns the Fight Network, will rebrand its wrestling league as GFW and Nashville native Jeff Jarrett will helm the creative aspects of the promotion. Its staple weekly program on Pop TV will continue to be called “Impact.”

The rebranding comes almost 15 years to the day that Jarrett and his father Jerry Jarrett launched TNA. The wrestling promotion ended up under the control of Dixie Carter, endured a turnstile of cable television partners and garnered negative headlines for unpaid bills, unpaid talent and state tax liens.

The troubles culminated in a lawsuit last fall when rock-and-roll legend Billy Corgan, who was hired to help lead the creative direction of TNA, sued Carter and the company. When the dust settled, Anthem Sports, which distributed a portion of its content, emerged as the new owner and operator of the wrestling promotion

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mon...802001/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

TNA is dead friends.....the end of an era. 15 years. Can Global Force do any better? LOLGWF doesn't have the same ring to it.

cool name...

Xgr4x_f-maxage-0.gif

jwhit28

I know nothing about Global Force Wrestling outside of Jarrett showing up and shelling it at NJPW a few times.

Kaladin

I know nothing about Global Force Wrestling outside of Jarrett showing up and shelling it at NJPW a few times.

That's pretty much it. He's run house shows with it mostly and even has champions. Those titles are being unified with the TNA titles at Slammiversary. He taped some TV episodes but never got a TV deal of his own so I guess he's backdoored his way into having TV with GFW. Oh, and he also tried to do some gold scheme with it.

Jay Sosa

tna was so good for a while. aj, alex kozlov, black machismo, sonjay dutt, gail kim, odb, eric young. I never understood why the promotion didn't become more popular with such an incredible roster.

theBmZ

This has been a long time coming. I used to watch TNA every week back when it was great. I want to say things started to go downhill around 2010 or so. I can't remember. It's been so long since I watched every week. I remember when Bischoff and Hogan came over, things got really terrible. I stopped watching after that. The only TNA programming I watched since was The Final Deletion stuff.

Jay Sosa

This has been a long time coming. I used to watch TNA every week back when it was great. I want to say things started to go downhill around 2010 or so. I can't remember. It's been so long since I watched every week. I remember when Bischoff and Hogan came over, things got really terrible. I stopped watching after that. The only TNA programming I watched since was The Final Deletion stuff.

yup, me too.

TNA lasted 15 goddamn years, unbelievable.

TNA lasted longer than WCW. Think about that

tna was so good for a while. aj, alex kozlov, black machismo, sonjay dutt, gail kim, odb, eric young. I never understood why the promotion didn't become more popular with such an incredible roster.
Because TNA management sucked. To have the talent they had and still fuck it up is an achievement.

Foffy

Banned
So wait.

It went from Total Nonstop Action , to Impact Wrestling, to now Global Force Wrestling?

Even though GFW was a separate promotion?

Busty

Banned
Wasn't this promotion recently doing shows in India? Say what you will but at least they are smart enough to try and diversify away from the ever shrinking North American wrestling market.

Also, isn't their 'big PPV' show Slammiversary this weekend?

Kaladin

So wait.

It went from Total Nonstop Action , to Impact Wrestling, to now Global Force Wrestling?

Even though GFW was a separate promotion?

It started as TNA, and they tried to do some weird branding to separate the Impact Wrestling show from TNA and just call the show Impact Wrestling while PPVs were still under the TNA banner, though I think lately they've backed away from that a bit. Global Force Wrestling is a completely different company created by Jeff Jarrett who also created TNA 15 years ago. GFW was bought by TNA's new parent company and in a smart move, the new parent company saw how toxic the TNA name is and decided to go forward with Global Force Wrestling and GFW Impact.

Ithil

Jarrett's attempt to leave TNA to start another promotion failed so much that his solution was to get back into the former promotion and turn it into his new one in order to get TV.

Foffy

Banned
It started as TNA, and they tried to do some weird branding to separate the Impact Wrestling show from TNA and just call the show Impact Wrestling while PPVs were still under the TNA banner, though I think lately they've backed away from that a bit. Global Force Wrestling is a completely different company created by Jeff Jarrett who also created TNA 15 years ago. GFW was bought by TNA's new parent company and in a smart move, the new parent company saw how toxic the TNA name is and decided to go forward with Global Force Wrestling and GFW Impact.

Makes sense why they're merging Impact and GFW belts this weekend too, I guess.

Uh to my knowledge both Karen angle and Jeff Jarrett only came back to TNA after Kurt Left...or right before he left.

Edit: forgot to quote gutter_trash. Oh it's true it's damn true.

charsace

Could never get into the because they pushed dudes like Jarret and other over the hill guys over guys you wanted to see.

Top Bottom