• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah interviews scary white blonde woman on The Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked some of the laughs he managed to get in there - and honestly she setup most of them herself - but every time he started down the right path in challenging a point he either whiffed it or changed the subject. It's like he's got half of the formula down disarming with humor, but he just isn't incisive enough to get to the heart of a subject. The cobwebs of her intellectually dishonest double-speak are still left hanging there and it's super annoying.

I agree. Debates don't really exist to convince one side or the other, they're there to convince people who are undecided. IMO anyone "on the fence" with anything she's saying doesn't have enough reason off this debate alone to shift their view.

KiN0

I have mixed feelings about this interview. I'm happy to see Trevor try and engage her so earnestly, but he really didn't do enough to call out her hypocrisy. Really, this interview just re-demonstrated the problem liberal media has with confronting these conservative types: a lack of force.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tomi did a lot better than I thought she would. I was under the assumption her viral rantings were scripted by other people and she was the attractive young blonde to deliver the message.

Oddly enough it's because she's a dreadful actor and much better in natural conversation. And still a weird straw man assembler rather than debater.

Ashes

Banned
I liked some of the laughs he managed to get in there - and honestly she setup most of them herself - but every time he started down the right path in challenging a point he either whiffed it or changed the subject. It's like he's got half of the formula down disarming with humor, but he just isn't incisive enough to get to the heart of a subject. The cobwebs of her intellectually dishonest double-speak are still left hanging there and it's super annoying.

And old debating trick is sophistry. Noah had a good seasoned producer telling him in his ear to go through his points and not get drawn too much to any single point.

The interview was about her and her various stands on issues.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I just don't see how someone can just have that kind of sustained anger about everything. Trevor Noah grew up in a fucking apartheid South Africa and he seems less bitter about the world.

I had to turn it off. I live in fucking Idaho and it feels crazy that someone like that can exist.

Thing about Noah though, is that he's too honest with his emotions on how he feels about her stances on those views. Like I said, it seemed that he could barely tolerate being next to her. Meanwhile, she's smiling, firing back at all of the things that he's desperately trying to get her to see as wrong, and she's not budging.

And what bothers me is that there's folks who are going to view that and say "huh, she might have a point." She spouted that hateful shit with confidence, and even had the gall to try to pull sympathy from immigrants who went through the hoops, to try to say that they should rally against those who are refugees, or are illegal immigrants. It's all real devious, and she makes it sound appealing.

MUnited83

For you.

You kinda have to change the subject when she just plain doesn't seem to answer it at all. Dude asked her 5 times what a acceptable way of protesting would be and she ignored it every time and just went on crazy ass rants.

How did he own her?

This is the first time I've seen the show. The bits before this interview were mostly bad, but maybe this wasn't one of his best episodes.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yeah, I can't really say he owned her. I mean, yeah he brought up some good points, but whenever he had her backed in the corner, he also gave her a way out like he did when he asked her how black people should protest. Also, he completely dropped the ball when she made that asinine claim that Obama unilaterally gave five million illegal immigrants amnesty.

Air

Banned
There wasn't any ownage. I like Trevor and any reasonable person would see how illogical Tomi is, but in these kind of talks, if the person can squeeze out some kind of answer than its a win. Also thinking about it as if it were ownage is how we keep this polarization of parties. I think Trevor brought her on just to try to understand that side and not try to make inroads into changing her mind. He fact checked her but I didn't get the feeling he was hanging her feet over the coal.

All of that said, I wouldn't have brought her on. I think he did good for what he was trying to accomplish but I don't think it will have any effect and will add fuel for her supporters.

I think the thread may have raised my expectations a bit too high. I just went in expecting a Jon Stewart/Ticket Carlson smoking crater thing. I do like Trevor more than I used to, though.

You kinda have to change the subject when she just plain doesn't seem to answer it at all. Dude asked her 5 times what a acceptable way of protesting would be and she ignored it every time and just went on crazy ass rants.

Okay so I understand that you can't belabor for good TV but you actually have to cut through the Orwellian shit first or you'll abandon your audience to her dishonesty. Trevor never got to the incisive part. I still like him but he is not living up to Stewart in this particular area at all.

Zackat

I think it's time to start watching the daily show again. I would catch it from time to time, but I will start watching it a bit more regularly.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Oh I know. She just can't be quite so obvious in how silly that narrative is, when she's comparing folks saying "fuck cops" and "fry the bacon", to an organization that hung people from trees and burned churches with congregations inside them.

He should have nailed her on her own "saying shit versus doing shit" garbage she spouted when comparing Trump and Hillary? "Excuse me? You just said words mean less than actions..."

gabbo

I honestly thought only Stephen Colbert's "Stephen Colbert" fake conservative pundit used the "I don't see colour/race" line and 'meant it'. He didn't go all in on her, but anyone watching that was neutral or hadn't heard of her before is going to see her KKK comment and tune her the fuck out from now on.

Her follows/fans will make "savage black man/white woman" comments and cheer her on I'm sure

I think it's time to start watching the daily show again. I would catch it from time to time, but I will start watching it a bit more regularly.

Still a lot of hit and miss. Trevor's comedy falls flat a lot because he's just not an American so he makes jokes that are mostly aimed at an international crowd. You can sense it from the crowd as well.

I despise this woman and how she has "made it". The best part of all is that you know she doesn't believe a single word she says but she is smart enough to exploit the people who do believe what she is saying. Just like Sean Hannity, Beck, and O'Reilly did. They are just giving the people what they want.

Laz-E-Boy

Trevor Noah lost for even having this jackass on the show. Only thing this will do is give her a bigger audience. Sick of this.

gabbo

Okay so I understand that you can't belabor for good TV but you actually have to cut through the Orwellian shit first or you'll abandon your audience to her dishonesty. Trevor never got to the incisive part. I still like him but he is not living up to Stewart in this particular area at all.

Jon went soft on plenty of people in his day (O'Reilly). Jim Cramer was the exception not the rule, and he also took aim at plenty of progressive movements as well (Occupy Wall Street). Trevor has done a pretty good job getting up to speed after a shaky start

Jyester

If you think Trevor bodied her, you are living inside the bubble. She remained unphazed and on message the entire time. And he let her off the hook most of the times. His points were good, but that isn't enough to win a debate like this. I thought we went over this after the election?

iuxion

The best part of all is that you know she doesn't believe a single word she says but she is smart enough to exploit the people who do believe what she is saying.

How do you know that? I've never heard of her before, but from this interview, she seems to be drinking her own Kool-aid.

Ugh. What a disgusting person. She couldn't answer a question straight with all the framing she had to put around it to make the logic work in her head. And the "I'm a millennial, I don't use labels." was just too much. And the comparison of the KKK to the BLM movement, what the hell. Just disgusting.

I thought this was a great interview. While I have doubts about the ability to bridge the gap through conversation or anything like that, I'm glad Trevor didn't give an interview that lends itself to being referred to as having "wrecked" or "owned" Tomi. I think that's a really juvenile way to view what are supposed to be exchanges of ideas, even if you feel (and I do) that one person's side of the argument is abhorrent and flimsy.

Ryzaki009

The fact that she didn't realize what the KKK had actually done and compared them to BLM is astounding.

Our education system really needs to be fixed. All this skipping over the bad shit our country has done isn't doing any favors. Because that level of ignorance just shouldn't be possible.

Stasis

Had no idea who she was before tonight. I've never heard her name once. I'm gonna go right back to living that way.

These people are gross tbh. I have no words to explain it further. Or I have too many.

And there are MILLIONS of these people in the USA. LOL. What a joke. THAT'S what's sad. That so many people truly believe this shit and just can't even begin to explain why with any logic or sense.

- J - D -

I don't know about owned or destroyed. Felt more like giving her enough rope to hang herself, but I question the efficacy of that method given how this election cycle turned out.

I think this was a solid interview for Noah, though it does ultimately circle back to the same problem addressed by both of them. Everyone exists in a bubble, now. Noah's entire style with this interview wasn't to hang her in the street by her obvious false logic, but rather allow her to present her own hypocrisies. Circling the entire BLM conversation back to Trump and the KKK presents a very clear picture that she isn't concerned about any 'moral code', but rather sticking to party talking points.

Of course, that only works if you're already on Noah's side. Which of course you are, because you're watching a clip from The Daily Show. No enthusiastic fan of this woman is going to watch this interview in earnest, and have their minds changed. It could be, if Noah focused in on her blatant biases. But what's the point, if the audience is going to go into this segment assuming she's a racist piece of shit?

The result is a conversation where Noah lets her have the last word on almost every point, allowing the whole interview to be viewed two ways. You're either on his side, and are disgusted enough with her points to move on - or you're on her's, and see him changing the point of conversation because he's been proven wrong.

The Daily Show isn't neutral ground. It's not the spot where both sides of the aisle come in, and can have a factual debate. The primary issue is that right now, no such spot exists in the US media landscape. Everything is partisan, because it's either funded by a conglomerate that 'only wants to shape opinion', or is so fringe that it has to rely on agreeable news to stay relevant.

TyrantII

Honestly I don't see the point of trying to "own" these people because they don't care anything you say or do to them as long as you give them airtime. People like her are playing a character and only care about the limelight, not any kind of real discussion.

Yep. You don't give them air time. You only go into their house and bury them ala Stewart on Crossfire. Even then, it's not good to do unless theyre breaking outside of their normal tiny audiences.

They're snake oil propagandists, they need exposure and air time to sell their ads, subs, and books. Don't give them a soap box

How do you know that? I've never heard of her before, but from this interview, she seems to be drinking her own Kool-aid.

All these media people are just that, personalities. They believe in it to an extent but then the rest is just a show to rile up their viewers/opponents. I believe she's gotten popular because she's this little blonde woman and she's "so tough" and doesn't "take any shit". I would say go read some of the user comments from her really early videos(before Blaze) but they are cancer.

game_boy

Banned
My problem with interviews like this is that they don't really attempt to sway viewers from any preconceived opinions.

For instance, typical liberals and conservatives who watch this clip have preconceived opinions of BLM. When Tomi compares BLM to the KKK, typical conservatives accept that because it more or less matches their existing opinions and biases. When Trevor says violent acts are not representative of BLM, typical liberals accept that because it more or less matches their existing opinions and biases.

See, interviews like this change nobody's opinion because liberal and conservative opinions are rooted in strikingly different beliefs. Both sides believe their beliefs are fact. So when Tomi says something that you or I can clearly see is nonfactual, it doesn't matter—because conservatives see everything Trevor says the same way.

To clarify, I don't hold the position that both sides are just equally biased/wrong—I think my liberal beliefs and opinions are far more grounded in reality and truth than Tomi's. But what many liberals misunderstand is that conservatives feel the exact same way about us. We're playing with completely different sets of "facts," and interviews like this need to provide new, concrete, irrefutable facts that neither side mistrusts, in order for anyone to learn and change their opinion.

game_boy

Banned
I think this was a solid interview for Noah, though it does ultimately circle back to the same problem addressed by both of them. Everyone exists in a bubble, now. Noah's entire style with this interview wasn't to hang her in the street by her obvious false logic, but rather allow her to present her own hypocrisies. Circling the entire BLM conversation back to Trump and the KKK presents a very clear picture that she isn't concerned about any 'moral code', but rather sticking to party talking points.

Of course, that only works if you're already on Noah's side. Which of course you are, because you're watching a clip from The Daily Show. No enthusiastic fan of this woman is going to watch this interview in earnest, and have their minds changed. It could be, if Noah focused in on her blatant biases. But what's the point, if the audience is going to go into this segment assuming she's a racist piece of shit?

The result is a conversation where Noah lets her have the last word on almost every point, allowing the whole interview to be viewed two ways. You're either on his side, and are disgusted enough with her points to move on - or you're on her's, and see him changing the point of conversation because he's been proven wrong.

The Daily Show isn't neutral ground. It's not the spot where both sides of the aisle come in, and can have a factual debate. The primary issue is that right now, no such spot exists in the US media landscape. Everything is partisan, because it's either funded by a conglomerate that 'only wants to shape opinion', or is so fringe that it has to rely on agreeable news to stay relevant.

I strongly agree with this comment; it's on a similar train of thought as mine from above.

Phased

I thought she actually handled herself pretty well.

I agree with her on pretty much nothing, but she's definitely not Ann Coulter who has nothing BUT her inflammatory language and when she gets called on it just gets more nasty.

I never understood the conservative sympathy for immigrants waiting in line. Yeah like hell you actually care about those people.

I was really hoping he would say to her yea sure if those people want to get out of line and come in another way and work on farms for pennies on the dollar then sure.

I thought she actually handled herself pretty well.

I agree with her on pretty much nothing, but she's definitely not Ann Coulter who has nothing BUT her inflammatory language and when she gets called on it just gets more nasty.

Tomi has some kind of weird skewed view on the world that I believe she was raised to stay on no matter what. Ann I think is legitimate human trash. The way she communicates shows a clear desire to make people angry and get incredibly hateful people on her side to the point where I don't even think it comes from an actual ideology. She's a troll, aka a dumpster fire of a person.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
People who wanted him to pry further and not merely let the audience watch as she gets tangled in her own web of logic...

Clearly some of you have little experience dealing with someone inconsolable. If anything it was an educational experience of mere observation.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
While it was funny/cathartic to see Trevor utilize her own logic to take down every 'argument' she presented I don't like that TDS gave her a larger platform for her hate.

People who wanted him to pry further and not merely let the audience watch as she gets tangled in her own web of logic...

Clearly some of you have little experience dealing with someone inconsolable. If anything it was an educational experience of mere observation.

I don't think you get the point of having someone like her on to begin with. At no point does anyone think a debate is going to change her mind, the entire point is to communicate to other people why her ideas are wrong. Constantly letting her have the last word is only going to make her look bad to people who already dislike her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom