• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah to replace John Stewart on The Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you remember what the Daily Show was before Jon?

Its a different show and it has a different and some might say a more important impact than when Kilborn was doing the show.

Oh definitely I do! Yeah, that post wasn't pointed at anyone in particular; just reminding everyone (myself) that the right guy for the job didn't always look that way. Given that, and not knowing much about him yet, I'm hopeful Noah can grow into a kickass host.

Think back to when John started. There wasn't really anything in his act that made him particularly destined for greatness. He grew into the show and became the host it needed. This guy has a good stand-up game so if he's keen on the material he may do fantastic. Looking forward to watching it.

And I remember how Conan O'Brien's debut on Late Night was generally regarded as a train wreck, but he certainly grew into the role.

Also, being South African, Trevor Noah has one big advantage:
DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY!!!

Log4Girlz

From the NYTimes article lol.

"Mr. Noah said he expected to be criticized and second-guessed long before his first episode as host. “We live in a world where some people still say Beyoncé can’t sing,” he said. “Clearly I’m not immune to that.”

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
that's not the point, the point is an outside English accented non-American telling Americans what is wrong with them. I find it patronizing and unfunny

I rather be it an American from the inside making fun of themselves.

it's like uh uh uh he is a different accent, makes him sound smarter than us ugugugu he must be right uh huhuh

how long did it take for people to realize that Piers Morgan was a total asshat?

So it's the accent that bothers you? Would you rather have a cheerleader for America or something? I don't get what the big deal is.

His stand up ive seen a couple of years ago was pretty funny and he was hitting the issues addressed in the Daily Show. Pretty inspired choice.

Oppo

that's not the point, the point is an outside English accented non-American telling Americans what is wrong with them. I find it patronizing and unfunny

it's like uh uh uh he is a different accent, makes him sound smarter than us ugugugu he must be right uh huhuh

how long did it take for people to realize that Piers Morgan was a total asshat?

How long did it take you to realize that John Oliver is awesome?

mclem

Canadians have accents that are similar to what you will find in the Northern parts of the United States and many have the generic American Accent.
That's rather my point, plus there's the fact that American accents themselves are wildly varied. I was curious if it was actually the accent, or simply not liking someone from outside the US criticising the country.

ugh another British accented dude telling Americans what is wrong with America... no thanks

This shtick is getting old, ''look I am British (Piers Morgan, John Oliver blablaba) and I am making fun of you! telling YOu what is wrong with you''

I will pass

So, that's your criticism. An accent. Not the content. What an ad hominem. That is pathetic.

Ultima_5

Per Bill Simmons; the first three choices were Amy Poehler, Louis CK, and Amy Schumer. Alas, they all turned down the offer.

I could see amy poehler doing a good job.... Can't see Louie doing it well.... I'm not familiar with amy schumer

KingK

I could see amy poehler doing a good job.... Can't see Louie doing it well.... I'm not familiar with amy schumer
Amy Schumer is pretty hilarious. She would have been great.

I'll give this guy a shot. The stand-up bit linked in this thread is pretty funny and he'll have good writers. Still would have loved Aasif Mandvi.

Damn. Trevor Noah is pretty good, but giving him Jon Stewart's shoes to fill? That just seems crazy. Stewart and Colbert are like the most popular comedians in America, beloved figures. Poor guy, I hope he does alright.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't know him before this, but willing to give him a shot. Good luck to him.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So how fucked in Comedy Central if Daily Show bombs? Are they running anything else that's popular?

They actually are doing pretty well, content-wise. A Daily Show/Nightly Show bomb would leave a pretty huge hole every night, though, especially if it dragged @midnight down with it. But that's more the nature of having a show that's on 4 times a week. The only positive here is that Noah will not command the same kind of paycheck as Stewart, so I'd expect the budget, and therefore the advertising-buy needs to be smaller.

They have plenty of other shows that do well and even some that are in syndication. Broad City, Workaholics, Nathan for You, Tosh.0. South Park, Key and Peele are all pretty big hits. Plus they have a few more shows returning and "on-the-cusp" as well.

It's never been better for them, over all.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
His appearances have been decent but it usually takes a while for people to become accustomed to the styles of the correspondents and think he segments were pretty subtle. He hasn't done enough of them though to form a solid opinion based on that.

Seeing him do stand-up makes me feel a bit better about it. I still can't see him ripping up Fox the way Stewart does but I'm sure they've done test shows with him before deciding. He definitely seems to have the intelligence and is worldly which is a bonus. We'll see how he handles the more serious topics.

I wish him luck.

I was expecting a more unknown guy. The replacement choices were just pipe dreams tbh. I like that they're going with a young guy who can build his own show. From the little I've seen from him he seems smart and charming, so I'm sure he'll grow into it and be great.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
At least he's proven he can do good voices.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The "I won't watch the show" sentiment is weird.

What are you gaining by declaring you're out?

NimbusD

Just went back and watch his 3 segments so far in his run at the Daily show. I gotta say, they're fucking great. He's smart and commits. Gonna be a sharp contrast to Jon Stewart's goofy "Im so stoopid" *wink* way of delivering comedy. He also seems just just have great presence after only 3 segments. It took Jordan Klepper and Jessica Williams (off the top of my head) much longer to look as comfortable as he does.

EDIT: does anyone have videos of him other than his Apollo London set and his 3 Daily Show segments?

Struct09

I think Trevor is great, hope it goes well for him and will definitely watch the show with him hosting it. I still selfishly wish it was John Oliver so we'd get to see him more than once a week :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom