• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump advisor Flynn discussed sanctions w/ Russia before inauguration, despite denial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerazar

I can't see how this doesn't fall under Treason. Hope he gets tossed in jail. Also says a lot that one if Trump's closest advisors was colluding with Russia. Trump will never be able to shake that he's a Russian puppet.

What, wait! That's not treason. They were having a friendly chat about golf or something. It's building rapport with Russia and that's something the people wanted, yes? Peace with Russia? No more bullying by the US? Being a friend of Putin is an asset and everything?

No, that guy deserves a medal. Or a flight ticket to Moscow to escape the FBI agents. And hand him a small metal case with cyanide in it, too. You never know when you'll need it.

Tovarisc

Now even Pence walking back on what he did or didn't know about what Flynn talked with Russians. There is some fire and they are taking steps to drop Flynn?

Tovarisc

Was mentioned as breaking news on CNN, looking for in-writing on that.

Same time rubber is meeting the road even more now? Official: Flynn Discussed Sanctions With Russians Before Taking Office: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ssed-sanctions-russians-taking-office-n719271

Edit: Could be CNN referred to this;
Pence told CBS on 1/15 that he talked to Flynn — & Flynn told him he & the Russian ambassador did not discuss anything to do with sanctions
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/830057109094092800

C4T0c4ZXAAASQ7L.jpg
C4T0c4cXAAAPOzW.jpg

Tovarisc

A Trump administration official says national security adviser Michael Flynn "can't be certain" that sanctions did not come up in his discussions with Russia's ambassador to the United States.

The official says Flynn has "no recollection" of discussing the sanctions, but left open the prospect that the issue did come up when he spoke with Sergey Kislyak during the transition.

Source: https://www.apnews.com/f9b33b5db455...low&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Politics

Sounds like he did talk...

From what I'm reading, they've had recordings of the calls for a while, and Trump and Pence had this intelligence, so they've been knowingly lying about it too?

I don't want to get excited, but this might be more than some obscure Logan Act violation.

But I mean, what even is "illegal", right? Just an honest mistake, surely. Gosh, give them some slack.

Now let's go imagine some new crimes for Hillary Clinton to lock her up.

I would like to believe some sliver of the GOP wants to start picking off his sycophants one by one to keep the stories on the medias' radar, but that's probably just wishful thinking and these leaks are the IC giving Trump's cult enough rope to hang themselves with.

Apathy

Every fucking time Republicans get into power they try some bullshit and the idiots keep voting them in because they are about the people.

Pence walking back and distancing from Flynn. This is a bad sign for the republicans is it not? I can't help but imagine other intelligence agencies will be ready to leak if the FBI tries any bullshit to cover this up.

MarionCB

So we know for a fact Flynn has committed two offences.

He talked to Russia about the sanctions while Obama was still President, which violates the Logan Act. There are recordings of this.

Then, he lied publicly about it. He also either lied to the Vice President or Pence is lying too.

The interesting thing is that it makes no sense for Flynn to have acted this way on his own initiative. It only comes to proving how far up this goes. (In my belief, it's clearly from Trump but the proof is the thing).

Flynn must immediately resign at the very least. (I'd prefer the FBI to arrest him, of course, but they seem to be compromised and unwilling to do their job). He appears to be being lined up to be a sacrifice in any case.

jelly

Yeah, the Trump team was obviously in on it. Hope they prove so and the whole lot get removed and that bellend Republican leader can take charge and finally get torn to shreds on his watch.

So we know for a fact Flynn has committed two offences.

He talked to Russia about the sanctions while Obama was still President, which violates the Logan Act. There are recordings of this.

Then, he lied publicly about it. He also either lied to the Vice President or Pence is lying too.

The interesting thing is that it makes no sense for Flynn to have acted this way on his own initiative. It only comes to proving how far up this goes. (In my belief, it's clearly from Trump but the proof is the thing).

Flynn must immediately resign at the very least. (I'd prefer the FBI to arrest him, of course, but they seem to be compromised and unwilling to do their job). He appears to be being lined up to be a sacrifice in any case.

Didn't the article say they have been talking since before the election? That, while not damning by itself, given all the other actions Russia was taking, is a lead to follow.

I imagine Flynn is fucked. In a dream scenario, he'd make a deal with the FBI. In reality, he'll resign and duck away and no charges will be brought against him.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It seems the wagons are starting to circle and he is being left/thrown out. He'll either resign quietly or be thrown out with big fanfare by Trump.

I imagine Flynn is fucked. In a dream scenario, he'd make a deal with the FBI. In reality, he'll resign and duck away and no charges will be brought against him.

If the FBI could flip Flynn... that would be amazing.

But yeah, the best case scenario here is that Flynn resigns and ends up pulling down a sizeable cable news paycheck.

MarionCB

Trump's big mouth also damns him here. It was around this time as Flynn illegally discussed the sanctions with Russia that Trump made tweets saying how smart Putin was to not react to the fresh sanctions, and then saying to him to hold out till Jan. 20th. (Was that only three weeks ago? It feels like three years).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If the FBI could flip Flynn... that would be amazing.

But yeah, the best case scenario here is that Flynn resigns and ends up pulling down a sizeable cable news paycheck.

It's probably why the leaks are coming out. The FBI leadership clearly is in Trumps camp (and why not, he doesn't want to talk about criminal justice reform). So, leak this now so that the admin can see through media that Flynn needs to be jettisoned before he taints anyone else higher up.

This feels like a nice backrub by Comey to Trump and especially Pence.

And this mother fucker felt the need to send that god damned letter to Congress over a nothing sandwich.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Trump's big mouth also damns him here. It was around this time as Flynn illegally discussed the sanctions with Russia that Trump made tweets saying how smart Putin was to not react to the fresh sanctions, and then saying to him to hold out till Jan. 20th.

Right, but Trump will say he had zero knowledge Flynn was doing this behind his back. No way Flynn is going to point fingers. He'll just duck out and Congress/FBI won't do shit if he retires. Or Trump could pardon/commute his dumb ass Scooter Libby style.

MarionCB

Right, but Trump will say he had zero knowledge Flynn was doing this behind his back. No way Flynn is going to point fingers. He'll just duck out and Congress/FBI won't do shit if he retires. Or Trump could pardon/commute his dumb ass Scooter Libby style.

Oh, sure. It's not evidence in anything but the court of public opinion. But boy does it all line up.

sangreal

Frankly I'd be happy and surprised just to get Flynn (and his son) out of the white house.

There will be more scandals to get the rest

jelly

It's probably why the leaks are coming out. The FBI leadership clearly is in Trumps camp (and why not, he doesn't want to talk about criminal justice reform). So, leak this now so that the admin can see through media that Flynn needs to be jettisoned before he taints anyone else higher up.

This feels like a nice backrub by Comey to Trump and especially Pence.

And this mother fucker felt the need to send that god damned letter to Congress over a nothing sandwich.

Damn, never thought of that. Sucks, I want them all to go down.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tie Flynn to Bannon, kill two birds with one stone. Trump is reliant on both, and without them, he's exposed to the establishment that's freaking out. They want a sedated, declawed Trump and Bannon and Flynn ousters would secure that.

Stop him tweeting and he'll lose all his power over his base, and then they can get back to normal institutionalized evil.

The above is a dream scenario but is plausible.

Am I correct in thinking that, if Pence is lying whatsoever, then if Flynn gets kicked out, Flynn will threaten to take down Pence with him?

If any of the deception evidenced here is true, Pence could be royally fucked.

Protein

Banned
Hit them hard with every fuck up they make. This is what needs to be happening. Chisel this administration down one person at a time.

Tovarisc

Am I correct in thinking that, if Pence is lying whatsoever, then if Flynn gets kicked out, Flynn will threaten to take down Pence with him?

If any of the deception evidenced here is true, Pence could be royally fucked.

I wouldn't expect Flynn to make fuss if he needs to take the fall, but if Pence is lying and investigation finds proof of this then Pence is reaaaally fucked.

I wouldn't expect Flynn to make fuss if he needs to take the fall
From what I understand - and admittedly I've only started to pay attention to this stuff in the last few days - Flynn seems like he's been carefully working his way toward this position of power for, well, a decade (probably longer).

If I were him I wouldn't be so receptive to being disgraced and dismissed, if I knew others were equally corrupt and/or complicit.

Tie Flynn to Bannon, kill two birds with one stone. Trump is reliant on both, and without them, he's exposed to the establishment that's freaking out. They want a sedated, declawed Trump and Bannon and Flynn ousters would secure that.

Stop him tweeting and he'll lose all his power over his base, and then they can get back to normal institutionalized evil.

The above is a dream scenario but is plausible.
Pf9j4F6.gif

I like it.

MarionCB

I wouldn't expect Flynn to make fuss if he needs to take the fall, but if Pence is lying and investigation finds proof of this then Pence is reaaaally fucked.

This would be perfect. Get rid of Pence first, then get rid of Trump. They both need to go; I'm sick of deciding which one is worse (competent evil or incompetent evil).

Tovarisc

From what I understand - and admittedly I've only started to pay attention to this stuff in the last few days - Flynn seems like he's been carefully working his way toward this position of power for, well, a decade (probably longer).

If I were him I wouldn't be so receptive to being disgraced and dismissed, if I knew others were equally corrupt and/or complicit.

It all really depends on how these domino's fall. I won't be surprised if he is offered backdoor and gushy private gig(s) and he takes it, over being publicly fired and/or prosecuted over this shit.

If it goes to prosecution or Trump tries to humiliate him with public firing etc. there is possibility that he won't go down silently if he has some goods on e.g. Pence or even Trump.

jelly

Trump probably wouldn't be able to resist Tweeting something that offends him, hope Flynn spills the beans.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Frankly I'd be happy and surprised just to get Flynn (and his son) out of the white house.

There will be more scandals to get the rest
Seeing as how the first few weeks have gone, I'm comfortable with this. Trump has caused pain but he keeps shooting himself in the foot in the process. And the clowns he's hired to fill his administration clearly aren't used to being under this much scrutiny when trying to pull their normal con jobs. It's inevitable that they'll keep getting caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom