• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump gently, lovingly guides Montenegro PM to one side to get in front for photo

Keasar

The order of the pic was pre-determined, he was definitely supposed to be in front. It's how he got there that is moderately questionable.

Look, it's inappropriate, but the hyperbole here is ridiculous. He put his hand on his chest , moved him aside, then patted him on the back and smiled at him. Terrible diplomatic protocol, clearly, but it's the kind of thing that, were he a decent president, it'd pretty much be a non-story.
Sorry but I am looking at the gif and there is nothing of what you describe.
hZifWyJ.gif

First he basically smacks his hand on the arm (not the chest), I can hear the slapping sound it makes through the gif, and just pulls the Prime Minister aside. Then he walks in front. He doesn't look back. He doesn't acknowledge the PM. He smiles at the cameras. He adjusted his suit. The PM ceased to exist once Trump got past him cause all he cared about was being visible to the cameras. The person he talks to is not the PM in question, it's someone else.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's really fucked up seeing world leaders with the turd. The orange shit doesn't belong. He doesn't have the class. The prestige. The pedigree. The intelligence. It's a fucking scarab in a basket of kittens.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Look, it's inappropriate, but the hyperbole here is ridiculous. He put his hand on his chest , moved him aside, then patted him on the back and smiled at him. Terrible diplomatic protocol, clearly, but it's the kind of thing that, were he a decent president, it'd pretty much be a non-story.

That is not what happens in that GIF. You're seeing things, because you want to I guess...?

MrBadger

I don't get why people say shit like this. You do know we can all see footage of what happened, right?

PKrockin

This is why you can't trust eyewitness testimony.

j.rob

Are we looking at the same gif?

Tyaren

Eh...these are alternative facts, I guess? ;) He's doing none of what you described. He forcefully pushes him aside, no clap on the back, no acknowledgement and no smile.

Rubenov

Eh...these are alternative facts, I guess? ;) He's doing none of what you described. He forcefully pushes him aside, no clap on the back, no acknowledgement and no smile.

Alternative facts are as good as the real thing. You just gotta say it.

MrBadger

Even Trump's supporters are saying he forcefully pushed him.

Of course they're saying it makes him alpha and shows dominance or whatever embarrassing shit they believe

Trokil

Banned
giphy.gif

Seems to be a thing. In a few years they will give puppets to former Europeans leaders to ask where the US presidents touched them.

It's funny that people talk constantly about the size of his ego - but all I see is a hugely FRAGILE ego. Like a giant balloon filled with nothing but hot air and easy to destroy with a single pin prick.

Froli

How does your eyes and brain work?

giphy.gif

Seems to be a thing. In a few years they will give puppets to former Europeans leaders to ask where the US presidents touched them.

This is just awkward. A sort of failed gesture of warmth.

Trump's move is just straight up a gesture of a man with no manners.

Tovarisc

That's some excellent hand shaking technique there.

Trump tried to pull out of shake few times, but Macron decided to dominate shit out of Trump. There was even white knuckles according press pool descriptions as, I imagine, Trump started whole his power hand shake play.

Kinokou

Imagine the PM being a woman and Trump doing a pussy grab instead.

Someone surly did that joke already I guess

It's interesting in the context of Montenegro defying Russia and joining NATO in June.
The "shoved president" is only there as a guest.

ISOM

I'll say that it's something that requires context of the person previously that makes this a story.

If we saw Obama do this, who by most accounts/past actions seems to be a fairly warm, professional, respectful sort of person, it would definitely be less of a story and nobody would be jumping to any sort of conclusion.

But this is a guy who by every account is an arrogant, oblivious, egomaniacal, narcissistic, desperate, lonely bully, so his actions here fit perfectly into the contextual persona we understand Trump as. It's just the most logical conclusion to make here to say that Trump is arrogantly pushing a world leader out of the way as some kind of weird power play, oblivious to the message it sends to those around him. It makes too much sense.

Regardless of who it is, the president of the United States doing what Trump did would make news. Hell any politician doing what he did would be news because world leaders aren't supposed to act like they're an old senile man at the supermarket trying to push some kids out of the way.

That's clearly a shove and he knows it. You can tell from his face as he does it, he looks slightly annoyed that he had to do it. Then he stands there looking across as if, yeah what you gonna do, I'm the boss. Then the lady breaks the situation of the shove by saying something and getting his attention.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
This is the same Montenegro PM that Russia tried to assassinate just last year is it not?

So Trump continues doing Russia's work.

akira28

That wasn't a handshake attempt

see? that's how well she played it off. her recovery from being left hanging was pro. she probably even asked him a question she didn't care about the answer to, just to justify having to be in his big dumb presence. and that kind of trump tower move he does over her? what is that?

Madness

This is just awkward. A sort of failed gesture of warmth.

Trump's move is just straight up a gesture of a man with no manners.

Bush and Merkel were also friends, and while she probably did not like or ascribe to his politics, there was mutual respect between the two. Bush just gave an awkward almost nerve pinch/shoulders hug that she didn't see coming.

Trump just shoved this guy out of the way, didn't acknowledge just so he could be in front. I honestly imagine Trump is the man in the 80's who lost his shit if someone had a better font on his business card than he did. Very disrespectful.

Kiljaro

Can't hold his wife's hand, but hugs men?

I'm sure if Melania wanted to hold hands with him he could lol. She's not having any of that. I don't see why that would detract from the video though. Thought the video was an interesting take on it, had seemed weird to me that the guy he shoved didn't look agitated about it at all.

Top Bottom