• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump said he was going to donate $25k to the family of a dead soldier... Then didn't

The WH claims that the check is in the mail

XCFKWQv.jpg

There is a pattern here that goes beyond his politics, something that suggests this is not being done on a conscious basis anymore. It's a tale of a man who has been so used to telling white lies to elevate himself and his image, that he no longer is even aware of the fact.

He's a conman that learned dead air is a chance for the other person to stop and actually think about what they are being told.

You are right though he can't seem to turn it off at times.

Offering $25K is great, not going through with it isn't, but it would set a bad precedent. SGLI (Servicemember Group Life Insurance) is the avenue for taking care of families of deceased service members. It's only $30 a month and pays out $400K.

Trumps an idiot and should never have offered and they should put out a statement about how he should have never offered, but that's not going to happen.

GrapeApes

Ludovico

That doesn't say it was set up by Trump's people though.

WWWhhhooaaaaa.
I didn't say or imply it did - I posted it in hopes of it exploding.

We don't have to prove we're more generous than Trump (pretty low bar there), but it's still nice to give if you're able.
A WaPo article continues to show Trump's willingness to use troops, but only when it suits him.

_Ryo_

What a fucking scumbag.
A blackhole needs to come swallow the cunt.

Also its in the mail... But he is gonna be shamed into writing it? Does the WH know how reality works?

chekhonte

Not a chance. I'd bet everything on it. It would be astonishing if he sees out his term. No consolation to decent Americans in the mean time, but he won't last.

I'd be willing to bet that he gets reelected if the democrats don't have a very strong candidate, assuming that the economy is still decent. Trump's approval rating hasn't budged through the worst he's done and said. He's going to get the same voters that he did the first time and with out a large democrat turn out he'll win again.

The kind of thing where it would be the talk for months if it were Obama. A stain on his Presidency.

For Trump, it's Wednesday.

I'd be willing to bet that he gets reelected if the democrats don't have a very strong candidate, assuming that the economy is still decent. Trump's approval rating hasn't budged through the worst he's done and said. He's going to get the same voters that he did the first time and with out a large democrat turn out he'll win again.

His approval rating dropped from about 44% to 37% where it's been stalled at for months now, which means he's historically unpopular. He failed at repealing Obamacare and he's poised to fail on tax reform. He's the subject of a criminal investigation. He lost the popular vote and only won the electoral college by the slimmest margin. It won't take much support bleed for him to lose an election. He's certainly not gaining any support.

Of course there's a chance he gets reelected... but if I was forced to put money down one way or another, Donald Trump isn't a horse I'd comfortably bet on.

Just remember, your child's life is worth $25,000 to Donald Trump. Relatively speaking, that's like one my employees dying by falling off a ladder and me offering their parents $2...as some kind of...I don't even know what that is...just a kick in the face i guess.

studyguy

Today's episode of The White House is their take on The Office's Scott's Tots episode.
Somehow they really managed to top it through in sheer cringe and sadness.

tumblr_mbjks0baU01rbrwnpo1_500.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You cannot just throw out a claim like that without offering proof.

Source on that?

1. You got a link for that?
2. How is that being fair?
3. LOL: Trump did something bad - Well so did Obama! Really?

We are still waiting on a source for this claim.

Republicanussian bot?

You better be ready to back that claim up.

Do you guys seriously not remember this? It was a 20/20 special. I’ll get a link.

Edit: here it is. Took him 17 months and being called out on it to respond. http://abcnews.go.com/International...arity-donation-isis-hostage/story?id=41658582

Viewt

"Check's in the mail," like seriously, dude? That is some deadbeat dad shit. What a fuckin bum this guy is.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just remember, your child's life is worth $25,000 to Donald Trump. Relatively speaking, that's like one my employees dying by falling off a ladder and me offering their parents $2...as some kind of...I don't even know what that is...just a kick in the face i guess.
To be fair, if he offered massive money it'd become a precedent.

Strike

Reminds of the primaries when he skipped a debate to hold a rally for vets, then claimed to have raised $6 million (which he didn't), and didn't donate anything until he was shamed into doing it by the media.

studyguy

Wildest thing about all of this is it wouldn't be an issue if Trump himself didn't bring the scrutiny over it with the jabs at Obama making calls. We already have the NSC memo that was shot down for some reason, it's not like contacting grieving families is a special exception.

It's just the most mundane responsibilities that seem to trip his entire administration up and inadvertently uncovering a mess when people get a glance under the hood of it all. This literally isn't even the first time Trump has made this kind of promise and bailed.

Dude Abides

Banned
Classic Trump. Does something without thinking because it feels good at the time, then realizes it was a bad idea (because he'd then have to do it for every soldier who dies or justify why he didn't) so now he just looks like an asshole.

To be fair, if he offered massive money it'd become a precedent.

I mean, this should be a precedent now. It was a very stupid thing to do.

It's not right of him, as President of the United States, to offer personal money to grieving families. Why this one father and not others? Why $25,000? Trump's set an expectation now. Should other families of fallen soldiers who get a call from the President now expect a personal check?

What about future presidents who aren't wealthy who can't afford do the same? Do they get judged by this new standard?

This opens a whole ethical can of worms.

Top Bottom