• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Trans Soldiers now barred from the military entirely

I'm confused here, are you cowardly republicans playing some victim card in this thread, talking about not being to defend your pathetic stances, desperate to sputter out some anti-transgender opinion or some shit? This ban should be pretty cut and dry deplorable for any decent human being... so, what's up?

Ominym

Banned
I can't speak for the person you're quoting but in my case it isn't a lack courage or conviction, it's a belief that it's an exercise in futility. I love a good, friendly debate with someone that doesn't agree with my opinion but lately the winds have shifted and things are much more hostile (on all sides) to the point where it's no longer enjoyable discussing our disagreements.
You'd think for a group that claims to be oppressed on this board that they'd gain an understanding of where these people who are actually being oppressed are coming from.

If you think it sucks to be dogpiled on neogaf and yelled at or silenced for what you say and do? Imagine having to endure that in your day to day life.

Case and point:
Wow, you're so insightful. I bet your next obvious statement will be 1 + 1 = 2. I worked for that check and paid taxes on the monies received.

I'm stopping right here, the Mods around these parts and the gaming side, tend to use the ban on me because I don't fall in line so, I'm out.

As someone who suffers from severe anxiety disorder, the fact that Trump can ban swaths of people from doing things freaks me right the hell out. I'm just waiting for the day that he says that people with mental illness need to learn to concentrate. So we're going to send them to camps where they can concentrate.

The idea that you can't have a friendly debate about politics is absurd. I've had thousands of debates with my left leaning friends prior to the Trump era without any broken furniture or smashed windows. You're twisting my statement into one specific topic.

It's perfectly fine to have a reasoned debate on what the ideal corporate tax rate is. But what we're seeing is that both sides have unshakable positions. For many conservatives, abortions are always wrong; there's no debate to be had, period. For the vast majority of progressives, that goes for what falls under the broad umbrella of human rights.

On the military angle, we probably COULD have had a debate about, I don't know, allowing women to serve on subs. I don't think it would be a particularly interesting one, but that's such a niche thing and culture that there might be some dialogue.

hawk2025

The fucking gall of people asking for sympathy for not being able to defend their own views.

Go into any thread about international trade, commerce, inflation, growth.

See all that discussion? It's alive and well on these boards. That's what you used to pretend to be about. The problem is that the veil fell over the past 20 years. You are not about free markets, you are now for protectionism. You are not about fiscal conservatism, you are about removing rights and programs that by ALL research have a POSITIVE impact on society, and yet you ignore that research.

Your party has nothing but bigotry and empty ideas left. You stood up and talked when the hate was covert. Now that it's out in the open, you pretend (pretend, yes, we both know you don't really believe it) that you are not speaking up because you will get shouted down. No, you are not speaking up because you are complicit and you don't have the arguments to back up your views, precisely because your views are a castle in the sand that was built on a fake, abandoned foundation of free markets and fiscal discipline. The castle crumbled, and you've got NOTHING left to say.

uRaGTLs.jpg

So, by banning Trans service personnel, the US military can save enough money to make...

8 Tomahawk missiles.

- and we just wasted 59 Tomahawk missiles on a nearly-empty runway in Syria that had zero impact on their daily operations.

Trump has assembled the worst government in US history and it only took him 6 months to reach that status.

Let me guess, your a gamergator?

NO, I don't chime in on stuff like that, it was about an E3 article, I didn't agree with it and gave info as to why and didn't capitulate and out came the ban hammer and thread starting privileges.

I'm not a bigot, and don't have nothing against anyone. I just think this is something you should pay for yourself, not the tax payer.

I'm really out now. Thanks for the dialogue.

I feel this is basically the R strategy at this point. It's why DeVos is going after on campus sexual assault, it's why trump is going after the trans community, sessions pumping up blue lives matter. They are issues that rile people up unlike tax reform which they know will make people lean closer to the center.

They are playing the American people like a clickbait article or your racist uncles Facebook page.

Is a sex change a medical necessity?

Did you know our biology is complex and you dont get to choose what traits you end up stuck with?

Babies can be born missing mouths, or with cancer or.... be born with parts of one gender while mentally being another

Do we punish people for ending up different on a genetic level? No the right thing to do is accept them as who they are wholeheartedly

Because being born as part of a variety IS the fucking norm and always has been.

The right answer is abundantly clear and refusing to accept that we are all born unique is asinine and wrong

I'm confused here, are you cowardly republicans playing some victim card in this thread, talking about not being to defend your pathetic stances, desperate to sputter out some anti-transgender opinion or some shit? It should be pretty cut and dry for any decent human being.. so, what's up?

"Sharing my bigoted views is considered a horrible thing around these parks so I will just make this post to let you guys know that it is actually YOU ALL that are the bigots."

NO, I don't chime in on stuff like that, it was about an E3 article, I didn't agree with it and gave info as to why and didn't capitulate and out came the ban hammer and thread starting privileges.

I'm not a bigot, and don't have nothing against anyone. I just think this is something you should pay for yourself, not the tax payer.

Yes you are.

mnannola

This will distract from the current Health Care debate, and also put fire on the democrats up for reelection in 2018 to pick a side in working class states.

Next Level Distraction.

Gin-Shiio

Of course the medical costs aren't the problem. But a bigot won't just openly say that they don't want transgender people in the military if that means courts can pick the ban apart based on that alone. Hopefully they will anyway.

That's not how Tricare works.

Alucrid

Banned

when you have to qualify yourself as "not a bigot" maybe it's time to rethink your position

Is a sex change a medical necessity?

In the context of US military service, somewhat. As I understand, transgender service people are held to the standards of their gender (as generally aligned with physical sex in cisgender people) in terms of physical requirements. Subsequently, for a female service person to best meet those standards, she needs a body that reflects her gender, and same for males. Hence they can (or until today, could) get reassignment treatments on the military, because it is necessary for them to best serve.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
"I enjoy shitting on people's rights in a friendly way, but GAF hates freedom. Here's a clumsy Nietzsche paraphrase because I'm a Big Idea Man."

On-Topic: man, fuck that fucking guy

cordy

Banned
The people who voted for this man, as the days continue to you find yourselves wanting to talk to them more about his decisions or do you just sit and silence as their character breaks? Honestly I'm not even surprised at any of the shit he does, I knew this would happen. What I'm surprised about are his people. Like you niggas keep doubling down on shit and yeah you might try to cover it up but eventually that shit is gonna break you.

Shit like this ain't surprising. This man's going to be doing the worst. He's Lex Luthor.

If I were in the military I don't know know if I'd want my squad mate loaded up on estrogen injections making him super emotionally labile and unstable. Men aren't made to have high levels of estrogen. I know from experience. When my estrogen is high (i take testosterone replacement therapy and convert a lot of it to estradiol) if I don't take my estrogen blockers I cry at every little thing.

Ms.Galaxy

You're a bigot. Tell us, why would you refuse a medically necessary treatment to a soldier who is risking their lives for our nation. Should we also make soldiers pay for gallbladder operations as well?

Well that's easy, many here have become blinded with rage in the Trump era (rightly so or not) and are no longer open to discussion or tolerant of any other ideas apart from their own. Honestly, I think some have become the very monsters they sought to slay.

Wanting equality is intolerant?

There is a difference between debate of ideas and refusing to accept you are on the wrong side of the argument

There is this point in a debate where a conclusion should be made and we all move on

Instead the "opposing side" has chosen to dig up the issue and reexamine it again through regressive lens

Debate isnt about moving backwards and arguing into a vacuum. It should be about pushing forward and arguing NEW ideas

Should we go back a reopen whether or not slavery is a good idea too? I thought that one was soundly decided but yet we still have hateful KKK members wanting to "reopen" that discussion

Ozigizo

Wow, you're so insightful. I bet your next obvious statement will be 1 + 1 = 2. I worked for that check and paid taxes on the monies received.

I'm stopping right here, the Mods around these parts and the gaming side, tend to use the ban on me because I don't fall in line so, I'm out.

I'm sorry that your opinions are bigoted.

Steel

Banned

I hope you realize that the military covers plastic surgery for free. I'm sure that the 5.6 million dollars saved will make a huge difference.

I can't speak for the person you're quoting but in my case it isn't a lack courage or conviction, it's a belief that it's an exercise in futility. I love a good, friendly debate with someone that doesn't agree with my opinion but lately the winds have shifted and things are much more hostile (on all sides) to the point where it's no longer enjoyable discussing our disagreements.

No, it is a lack of courage.

There is no "good, friendly debate" on the topic of Are trans people humans who deserve liberty and fundamental rights? - they are and they do. That you cannot conduct yourself in public without demanding a sterile environment says everything that should need to be said.

RDreamer

I was called a bigot, for having a different opinion. People saying I should explain and I did in the first post. I don't think the taxpayer should pay for this period.

You haven't explained nor have you answered my question. In your opinion should the military not pay for any and all surgeries, or is it just this one you have a problem with?

I can't claim to know the full effects of being a post-transitioned Transgender individual, or all of the issues that comes in regards to medical costs. I also can't claim to know anything about the military or what's needed to be a part of said military.

But...I have a especially hard time imaging that a trans solider would be such an issue, if under the Obama administration, this was almost allowed. I mean, Obama was a ok president, but I trust his judgement far more then I trust the orange stain in the white house.

There is no "good, friendly debate" on the topic of Are trans people humans who deserve liberty and fundamental rights? - they are and they do. That you cannot conduct yourself in public without demanding a sterile environment says everything that should need to be said.
It's not even public, it's a privately owned forum. If he wants to be transphobic in public nothing is stopping him.

Kinsei

Banned
I was called a bigot, for having a different opinion. People saying I should explain and I did in the first post. I don't think the taxpayer should pay for this period.

That's not a good explanation. A good explanation would have you explain why you don't believe the military should provide treatment for trans soldiers.

This will distract from the current Health Care debate, and also put fire on the democrats up for reelection in 2018 to pick a side in working class states.

Next Level Distraction.

Healthcare won't be anything worth distracting from for a few days. Right now is just a bunch of procedural stuff.

This isn't a distraction, this is Trump being Trump. Human rights are not a distraction.

The fundamental problem is that even if he is just doing this as a distraction, people still need to outright reject it for the horribly cruel and bigoted move that it is. We can't just ignore it to focus on Russia, because this shit is not okay either in a vacuum or in context as a distraction.

It's the old "I could walk up to a guy on 5th Avenue and shoot him" thing playing out differently; Trump shooting a guy on 5th Avenue would get forgiven by a disgusting percentage of his supporters, but a decent chunk of his detractors would just say he's doing it to distract from Russia.

This is wrong. This is not what this country is supposed to be. If he's a horrible enough human being to try this shit to distract from his other failings, it's just reason to yell longer and louder about both. But the President just announced intention to ban transgender people from the military via Tweets; I don't care what his motivation was, it's reprehensible and deserves all of anger and reaction it's getting.

Agreed with you totally friend. All the insane, vile things Trump says or does have to be called out. I mean, none of this is normal imo (I'm not even US but I look on in horror)

But yeah, was just making that point of view that this is more a distraction than anything else.
Tbh it's been the insane ramblings of a President lately who feels the walls sloooowly closing in on him and trying to pump up his base, but like you say this shit must be called always.

I mean if you want to take the stance that the government shouldn't provide healthcare for everyone in the military...i mean that's really shitty, but consistent from an ideological view. When you single out trans health it makes you a bigot.

Pls respond if this doesn't make sense

If I were in the military I don't know know if I'd want my squad mate loaded up on estrogen injections making him super emotionally labile and unstable. Men aren't made to have high levels of estrogen. I know from experience. When my estrogen is high (i take testosterone replacement therapy and convert a lot of it to estradiol) if I don't take my estrogen blockers I cry at every little thing.

Even if taking that argument as valid, that shouldn't be used to block people who've already transitioned, so Trump's decision would still be unnecessarily discriminatory by the basis you've put out.

RPGCrazied

Ivanka Trump‏Verified account @IvankaTrump Jun 1

I am proud to support my LGBTQ friends and the LGBTQ Americans who have made immense contributions to our society and economy.

Family of frauds. Every last one of them.

linkboy

So, if a female military member need a breast reduction because her breasts are to big, this causing back pain (and preventing her from doing her job), should Tricare pay for it.

If a person needed Lasik for bad vision, should Tricare pay for it.

Saying you're not a bigot, but still supporting the party that supports bigotry, is no different then saying you're not racist, but not stopping someone from doing or saying something racist.

You got juniored for this trainwreck of a thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396882

Thread was unintentionally hilarious but you deserved it.

Kthulhu

>I don't think the military should pay for trans people's medical needs even though they do it for everyone else.

>I'm not a bigot.

Please explain.

It'd be one thing if you were against the military paying for all medically necessary procedures, but that doesn't appear to be your position.

Vindicis

Banned

I didn't demand anything, I simply responded to several people acting shocked Republicans aren't posting frequently in many of the political threads.

Top Bottom