• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unit 13 |OT|

mxgt

Banned
This game is so good. If this is a taste of things to come for shooters on the Vita then I am really excited.

I found it at Walmart, but Best Buy and TRU didn't have it. The clerk at Best Buy said it wasn't even in their system.

Best Buy is doing some weird shit with Vita games. I was in there soon after the launch and asked about Virtua Tennis 4. They didn't even have it in their system yet. It didn't exist. Same with their website.

Now I'm seeing it's on their site, but it says no stores around me have it in stock. They must be taking a very cautious approach with Vita software for some reason.

neptunes

Best Buy is doing some weird shit with Vita games. I was in there soon after the launch and asked about Virtua Tennis 4. They didn't even have it in their system yet. It didn't exist. Same with their website.

Now I'm seeing it's on their site, but it says no stores around me have it in stock. They must be taking a very cautious approach with Vita software for some reason.

After PSP, why wouldn't they?

They need to be convinced there is demand for certain software. I'd say your best bet is to buy off PSN.

They're probably pissy because you can just download games via digital distribution on day one. I love DD.

AkuMifune

Banned
Are trophies broken for anyone else? I played last night and didn't get trophies for completing training (which AFAIK I can't redo) or any of the ones for completing a mission type for the first time. :-(

Any ideas of what to do?
I didn't either. I checked the game info and it said eligible, so it wasn't that. I deleted and am going to start it again today and hope that works.

Is this a known thing or just a fluke?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Are trophies broken for anyone else? I played last night and didn't get trophies for completing training (which AFAIK I can't redo) or any of the ones for completing a mission type for the first time. :-(

Any ideas of what to do?

Yup. I had the same dilemma after doing the training in the demo then getting the full version. Found out by mistake (or should I say, clicking everything) that if you go to Settings > Other Settings that you can select 'Replay Training'.

The game is a mix of mediocre ideas and amazing ideas. Surprisingly, is not simply good in anything, is either great or either mediocre.

It's the best in social-random content, the best in contextual button use, the open-like enviroment, etc. But other areas, like AI, the charisma of the characters or the unspired graphics, or the outgame interface is mediocre.

If you are able to ignore those flaws, and you pay attention to the high points, is a very enjoyable game.

Chorazin

Replayed the training mission and now the Trophies are popping like crazy. I never played the demo so I'm not sure why it acted so weird, but as long as it's working now I'm happy.

theBishop

Banned
The game is a mix of mediocre ideas and amazing ideas. Surprisingly, is not simply good in anything, is either great or either mediocre.

It's the best in social-random content, the best in contextual button use, the open-like enviroment, etc. But other areas, like AI, the charisma of the characters or the unspired graphics, or the outgame interface is mediocre.

If you are able to ignore those flaws, and you pay attention to the high points, is a very enjoyable game.

That's Zipper for you these days. I felt the exact same way about MAG. I love the goddamn game, but there's no way a reviewer could give it better than an 8/10. Although the biggest surprise of Unit 13 is how well it controls and feels. Socom4's 3rd person implementation was just awful. MAG, while serviceable, had somewhat unrefined aiming/recoil. Unit 13 feels like Zipper could pull off a Gears of War if they had the license.

But one thing I'm sadly realizing about Unit 13: It's the buggiest game I've ever played. Sound frequently doesn't work. I often get a black screen, which leaves Vita in a weird state that requires a hard-reset. And so far the coop is broken more than it works. We need some hefty patches asap.

Mesijs

My opinion on this game has totally changed, and positively. I really enjoy it, it has a lot of innovative gameplay elements and is very, very long and full of content.

Gen X

I posted this in the Vita Screenshot thread but I think it's relavent here too.

I had zero hype for the Vita till I saw Unit 13, the whole daily challenges thing and the Near leaderboards. Then the demo came out and I started to think the game wouldn't be as good as I initially thought. I still planned on getting it but was prepared to be disappointed. After 3 days on it I can safely say it is actually really good, just don't expect a deep campaign or anything as you won't find it here. It's really all about finding what character you gel with and the scores you can muster up. This style of game will either click with you or it won't but give it an honest chance, don't slag it off after 4-5 missions.

And adding to that I'll agree with the posts above about the AI. Sometimes I've seen them get stuck on the corner of a box and constantly stuck in some duck'n'stand animation. Other times when you're on some mean headshot streak it feels like the last guy won't show his face until the combo meter for headshots has reset but aside from that there is definitely a challenge to be had.

As for the respawning guys, I haven't noticed that on any level, although I had noticed in some areas depending who you're using and the weapon loadout you have, if you make too much noise then a few extra guys will rush to the scene that otherwise wouldn't be there, but they never seem to respawn.

daffy

Banned
It seems i am unlocking levels through co op, i thought that was impossible ?

Anyone fancy a party room where we can set up co op matches? It runs super smooth for me. i notice it lets you filter by Public, Friends, and Party. but i have to refresh tons to find a match hehe.

As for the respawning guys, I haven't noticed that on any level, although I had noticed in some areas depending who you're using and the weapon loadout you have, if you make too much noise then a few extra guys will rush to the scene that otherwise wouldn't be there, but they never seem to respawn.

Some of the later levels and at least the Wizard and Scorpion HVTs have annoying infinite respawns.

I finished the solo levels and HVTs today - can't play co-op with out redownloading the whole thing (stupid) - and overall I found the game to be decent to start but shallow and repetitive after the initial few levels. The heavy aim assist really drags the game down in a lot of ways, but it also seems to be inconsistent, making it near impossible to score headshots in some cases. Brain-dead omniscient A.I. and a animic set of maps also make the game a bit boring once you have played each map and figured out the basics of each A.I. type (a few levels).

Overall I found the game flip flopped between extremely easy and frustrating with no real overall challenge. I received 5-star ratings on most every level after my first run. But would restart a few times when the game would either make a random A.I. able to track me through walls or not allow me to score a headshot even though my sights are right over his head. The one operative who gets 1,175 points per headshot (or 1,225 if stealth) with the pistol makes most every mission (except perhaps Deadlines) very easy thanks to the obscene lock-on.

My final verdict is that people should wait for a price drop. As a Terrorist/Arab murder simulator it is very shallow and as a puzzler it isn't even challenging. As a first generation portable dual-analog shooter, it comes off as a higher-res PSP game with camera controls rather than a portable version of what we would expect to see on home consoles. I don't think this is the fault of the hardware, but rather the developer and I stand behind my initial impression that, if anything, this game gives me hope that we will see great FPS/TPS games on this system.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anyone want to shoot some bad guys with me? Haven't been able to do much co-op yet. I'll be online tonight and I'd rather play with someone from GAF than randoms. PSN: Snuggler 86.

Gen X

Some of the later levels and at least the Wizard and Scorpion HVTs have annoying infinite respawns.

Yeah, after my post above about no respawning witness I did a couple, or should I say attempted a couple of HVT missions and yeah, the respawning is bat-shit crazy.

Also, I mananged to find a few co-op games last night and man there are some muppets around. Had guys shooting mines before they were even in cover and just let the enemy know where we were or standing next to those sensors on the walls and not deactivating them then dying when the AI shot them. Kept getting hammered. It was incredibly frustrating. For a console that has a built in mic, I'm really surprised at the lack of communication. It's like some people are still too shy to talk online.

Grinchy

Banned
The AI isn't perfect, but i don't think it's terrible. I found that I was able to trick it by firing from one place then sneaking around to another, only for them to continue attacking my original position.

I've only basically played the regular and dynamic versions of the demo mission so far, but I was able to do that too. I threw a flash grenade just to get a guy on the other side of the room to turn around. I snuck back to him and took him out.

Sneaking around feels so good. I ended up getting like 95k in the dynamic mode because I'd throw in a flash, run in and punch everyone including the leader I was after. It felt so bad ass. The more I've played it, the less shitty I think it looks too. It has some visual strengths.

Seventy5

Yeah, that's really the only thing I'm not liking about the game. Took me about 30 minutes to finish the second HVT mission.
Second HVT took me over 10 tries to beat it because of the enemy respawns in the second area. I beat the 3rd HVT on my first try in less than 20 minutes.

Kazerei

Banned
I am so addicted to this demo. But if I buy it now, it'll just end up in my backlog :\

Stealth is so much fun once you've figured out the enemy patterns. My high score on Open Flame is 212256 with Alabama, and he's just level 4. But I noticed the top 25 on the leaderboards use Ringo. Do they just CQB everyone? I gotta try that...

Why is popping out of cover and getting a quick headshot with the pistol so satisfying?!

Impressed with the game overall, liking it a lot more than I thought I would. I like the way enemies react to bullets but it's strange that they just ignore them sometimes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Seems kind of difficult to set up an online game. It errors for me if I leave it idling for too long at the host screen, but I'm getting like a 20 minute delay with PSN messages so it's not easy to get two people at the same place at the same time. Seems the only way to set up a game with a PSN friend is to host or join a private match, am I missing something?

Flunkie

Banned
Turned my sensitivity up to 80, acceleration down to 20. Much happier with the controls now.

I also don't think my leaderboards are working. Either that or all my friends are douchebags and aren't playing this game. But I know that's not true because there's at least 3 friends unlocking stuff on LiveArea.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That's what you should have been doing all the time. If you want to play with strangers, set up a public game. :)

Yeah, I've already played a few public matches, but I failed to set up a private match with a fellow GAFFer last night. I tried hosting private matches, but after about a minute of waiting at the 'deploy' screen I would get an error that sent me back to the title screen. Since our messages were arriving 20 minutes late (is this normal?), it was pretty much impossible to get him to join my private match before the error occured. Just wish there was some kind of universal cross-game invite system, it would make this so much easier.

micah

Oh it was horrendous. I felt like I was screwing something up. Might be easier just to post here and set a time.

It seems i am unlocking levels through co op, i thought that was impossible ?

Anyone fancy a party room where we can set up co op matches? It runs super smooth for me. i notice it lets you filter by Public, Friends, and Party. but i have to refresh tons to find a match hehe.

Really? You're sure? That's my only real complaint on an otherwise awesome game.

Can anyone else verify? I haven't seen any patches and can't check for myself at the moment.

Replayed the training mission and now the Trophies are popping like crazy. I never played the demo so I'm not sure why it acted so weird, but as long as it's working now I'm happy.

Yeah, thought it was pretty rad that my character is already leveled from playing dat demo

AwRy108

Turned my sensitivity up to 80, acceleration down to 20. Much happier with the controls now.

I also don't think my leaderboards are working. Either that or all my friends are douchebags and aren't playing this game. But I know that's not true because there's at least 3 friends unlocking stuff on LiveArea.

Hey, I'm playing it! But it's competing for my time along with ME3, Journey, and 6 other Vita games. Oh, and a career, wife, 2-year old, and a house are in the mix, too.

Ken

I must know if there is an assassination animation or if it's just a normal poke to the back animation.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I must know if there is an assassination animation or if it's just a normal poke to the back animation.

It's the same animation regardless of where you stab them. Still looks kinda cool though, it's always satisfying to systematically stab an entire room full of enemies.

Ken

It's the same animation regardless of where you stab them. Still looks kinda cool though, it's always satisfying to systematically stab an entire room full of enemies.

That's disappointing. Was watching one of the trailers and the guy stabbed someone, but it looked more like a little quick poke than a satisfying stab.

daffy

Banned
Seems kind of difficult to set up an online game. It errors for me if I leave it idling for too long at the host screen, but I'm getting like a 20 minute delay with PSN messages so it's not easy to get two people at the same place at the same time. Seems the only way to set up a game with a PSN friend is to host or join a private match, am I missing something?

Set up a party, open it to friends of friends. Have whoever you want check your profile, they can join the party through there and then have them filter by Party ingame.. This is what I do.
Really? You're sure? That's my only real complaint on an otherwise awesome game.

Can anyone else verify? I haven't seen any patches and can't check for myself at the moment.

hrrm well, i only had like 13 missions unlocked. I played co op for maybe 15 minutes and checked back and two number 30+ mission were unlocked. I really don't know how it works though so not sure.

Gen X

Finished all the Single Player Missions, just got to 5 star around 15 of them now, most others are at 4 stars so will be a hard grind finding the right person/weapon load out combo. Done 4 HVTs, a few of them are easy as.

Was rather proud of this on Sunday. Note it's region (UK) not Global.

6983209043_3aae4ac738.jpg

Raine

I may be done with this game until a patch comes and fixes these issues. I can't keep resetting my system like this.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
AwRy108 said:
Hey, I'm playing it! But it's competing for my time along with ME3, Journey, and 6 other Vita games. Oh, and a career, wife, 2-year old, and a house are in the mix, too.

Yeah I am still finishing ME3, Journey and playing SFxT so haven't been playing my Vita much either. Might pick this up further down the line.

Top Bottom