• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: Clinton in commanding position for 270 EC votes

Status
Not open for further replies.
2BfHIli.png

This Nintendo ad is perfect for Trump.

Actually, that was a pretty good illustration of how the screen ended up looking.

Brinbe

Duh... She's in position to reach 400 EVs if everything swings right. Along with the House/Senate.

But I suspect things will tighten a bit in these last few weeks unless more sweet OPPO trickles out.

Have there been any elections similar to this one polls-wise, and if so how did they turn out? Were the final numbers close to the predicted?

Not a US citizen so just curious.

The last two or three elections have been very accurate to what pollsters followed.

Overall, I don't know of any 1-to-1 comparison, but no one has been below at the level of Trump and actually won, if that's what you're asking. The closest analogy of a candidate behind to a high level that came back to win is the infamous case of Truman v. Dewey. There's the picture of Truman, who had just won the election, holding up a newspaper that proclaimed Dewey Bears Truman. But event that really isn't the same for two key reasons: the first being that Truman wasn't behind as bad as Trump, and the second being that how the data for polling was gathered at that point in time wasn't nearly as sophisticated as it nowadays.

The truth is there's really only three ways Trump can win. 1: Some massive surge that seems him shot up the polls in a precedent never seen in American politics, 2: A major force of voters, this "Silent Major" will magically start to exist that aren't being represented in the polls and they all vote for Trump over Clinton, 3: The Democratic turnout will be depressed to an epic degree never before seen in politics with no depression whatsoever in the Republican turnout. The odds of this three happening, even as a mixture of the three together, are pretty slim.

When Hillary gets into office I'm 100% certain she's going to do everything she can to get Assange before the next election. If the Republicans manage to put up a worthy opponent who knows what kind of additional damage he can pull off.

Laieon

I actually hope if/when they announce a Clinton win that mods wave banning the more vocal trump supporters for 24hrs, so everyone can post "We did it" gifs to them.

As someone who just sent in my vote-from-abroad ballot last week and voted for Clinton, I hope they don't. Nothing sounds more childish or irresponsible than banning people with dissenting opinions.

Personally I can't wait to see the salt in the Donald subreddit.

I am looking forward to this though.

When Hillary gets into office I'm 100% certain she's going to do everything she can to get Assange before the next election. If the Republicans manage to put up a worthy opponent who knows what kind of additional damage he can pull off.

I think he's done all the damage he truly can. If he had something more damaging, it would have been pulled out already. The reality is that a lot of the e-mails really aren't much of anything at the end of the day.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The last two or three elections have been very accurate to what pollsters followed.

Overall, I don't know of any 1-to-1 comparison, but no one has been below at the level of Trump and actually won, if that's what you're asking. The closest analogy of a candidate behind to a high level that came back to win is the infamous case of Truman v. Dewey. There's the picture of Truman, who had just won the election, holding up a newspaper that proclaimed Dewey Bears Truman. But event that really isn't the same for two key reasons: the first being that Truman wasn't behind as bad as Trump, and the second being that how the data for polling was gathered at that point in time wasn't nearly as sophisticated as it nowadays.

The truth is there's really only three ways Trump can win. 1: Some massive surge that seems him shot up the polls in a precedent never seen in American politics, 2: A major force of voters, this "Silent Major" will magically start to exist that aren't being represented in the polls and they all vote for Trump over Clinton, 3: The Democratic turnout will be depressed to an epic degree never before seen in politics with no depression whatsoever in the Republican turnout. The odds of this three happening, even as a mixture of the three together, are pretty slim.

That was a good explanation, thanks.

I think he's done all the damage he truly can. If he had something more damaging, it would have been pulled out already. The reality is that a lot of the e-mails really aren't much of anything at the end of the day.

He's still open to receive more information in the future. Having him and Wikileaks around is a wild card for her reelection. I wouldn't be shocked if she takes them down.

He's still open to receive more information in the future. Having him and Wikileaks around is a wild card for her reelection. I wouldn't be shocked if she takes them down.

I doubt it matters much. Odds are that Clinton and her office are going to go through much higher lengths from now on to have more secure cyber security. And even if Arrange can get more, you have to remember, what we're saying now is a huge mass of e-mails from multiple years, and very little of true damaging material has come from it. Even if he continues to get information, there's not a lot of precedent that there will be all that much to damage her to begin with unless there's just an assumption Clinton will have massive scandals in the office by default.

Korey

http://www.investors.com/politics/trump-up-2-points-nationwide-while-clinton-campaigns-as-if-the-race-is-already-won-ibdtipp-poll/

So this shows Trump ahead. I don't know a lot about this kind of stuff, so since all these websites show different results, which one can we actually trust?

That's scaring me. That poll was apparently the most accurate in the last 3 elections?

http://www.investors.com/politics/ibd-tipp-tracking-poll-most-accurate-presidential-poll/

Edit: actually, the poll now shows Clinton up by .1%?

Maedre

Banned
http://www.investors.com/politics/trump-up-2-points-nationwide-while-clinton-campaigns-as-if-the-race-is-already-won-ibdtipp-poll/

So this shows Trump ahead. I don't know a lot about this kind of stuff, so since all these websites show different results, which one can we actually trust?

The poll results include responses from 783 likely voters, with a weighted partisan breakdown of 282 Democrats, 226 Republicans, and 259 Independents. The results reflect the rolling average of six days' worth of polling, with a margin of error of +/- 3.6 percentage points.

Nice try. I can make you a graph where trumps wind with 80%. ;)

BiggNife

Even if there was a major terrorist attack, it wouldn't matter much I don't think. None of the terrorist attacks, domestic or abroad, has seemed to help Trump at all. The Orlando shooting, and his comments on that, actually saw him have a decent drop in the polls during the primaries. I don't know people are convinced a terrorist attack would somehow make him surge.
Iirc his reaction to the France terrorist attacks in December led to his Muslim ban proposal and gave him a very noticeable bump. I'm pretty sure that's why a lot of people think another terrorist attack will help him.

Having said that, this was during the primaries and the past month has proven that the primaries and the general are two very different things.

Futureman

Duh... She's in position to reach 400 EVs if everything swings right. Along with the House/Senate.

But I suspect things will tighten a bit in these last few weeks unless more sweet OPPO trickles out.

"A few weeks" was last week. We're into "a couple weeks" now with no sign of tightening.

What if there was some devastating election eve oppo? Doesn't seem to matter now but it would be hilarious.

BiggNife

A single poll doesn't mean anything. It's much better to look at prediction sites that aggregate polls and weight them based on reliability.

For example, look at New York Times' The Upshot, which is compiled by Nate Cohn:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html

Hillary currently has a 93% chance of winning based on his model, and halfway down the page you can see this compared to other popular prediction models, almost all of which have Hillary in the 80 to 90 percent range.

So I really would not freak out over a single poll. If prediction models start to drop, then there's cause for concern. But we're so close to the election at this point that a significant shift like that isn't likely.

gaugebozo

That's scaring me. That poll was apparently the most accurate in the last 3 elections?

http://www.investors.com/politics/ibd-tipp-tracking-poll-most-accurate-presidential-poll/

Edit: actually, the poll now shows Clinton up by .1%?

To fine tune the results, proprietary data are used to accurately adjust for race, gender, region and political party affiliation of the nation as a whole.

This is a bad idea. Political party changes over time, and there's no "correct" amount for a particular election. It's how all those "unskewed" polls got into trouble last time.

Also, you really shouldn't trust one poll, maybe they were lucky the first two times (they were off by 2.3 the other). That's why poll aggregates like election.princeton.edu are the most accurate.

Voting turnout increases tend to increase democratic chances. The horrific voter turnout in midterms is why democrats tend to do so badly.

Most college students/millenials are democrat, not to mention voter ID laws in some states are heavily biased against african-americans who mostly vote democrat.

We really need to overhaul the voting system in this country. Look at Norway. You can vote with your frigging smartphone, and they have near 100 percent turnout and next to no voter fraud.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just did a quick look around on Youtube and lots of Trump supporters are going on about a poll that shows Trump 67% vs Hillary 19%. That poll comes from the esteemed Arizona Freedom Alliance. It was done in August but the videos pushing this dont mention who did the poll or when. From the comments theres going to be lots of shocked people come November 8.

Haunted

Just did a quick look around on Youtube and lots of Trump supporters are going on about a poll that shows Trump 67% vs Hillary 19%. That poll comes from the esteemed Arizona Freedom Alliance. It was done in August but the videos pushing this dont mention who did the poll or when. From the comments theres going to be lots of shocked people come November 8.
Let's just hope there won't be riots on November 9 so people can enjoy some good old fashioned Schadenfreude in peace.

EYEL1NER

Isn't Colorade Springs ground zero of the evangelical movement. or at the very least a hotbed. I know it's where Fuck Ups on the Family is based. Has James Dobson had any input on this election? I know he has, but it seems that he's been overshadowed by Jerry Falwell Jr., Tony Perkins, and Franklin Graham, but in past presidential cycles he's been more of a prominent voice.
I hadn't ever looked into anything like that. My comment was coming from almost 20% of the cities population being either active duty or federal civilians. You've got Fort Carson, Schriever AFB, Cheyenne Mountain, the Air Force Academy, Peterson AFB... Within those are NORAD, the headquarters for Space Command, and more. So it would make sense that in a city where the military/DoD is responsible for a third economy, they vote republican.
Now that you bring it up though, I have checked into it. Focus on the Family is based out of there. There are also a bunch of mega churches that sprung up in recent years. According to a couple sources, it has become a huge evangelical city in the last few decades. Dobson has endorsed Truml and declared in the Summer Thant Truml was a born-again Christian, but then backpedaled shortly after and said he didn't believe Trump. But then went on to still support Trump anyway because the thought of Hillary running the world for 8 years keeps him up at night and Trump has promised evangelical leaders to do right by them and showed off a list of SCOTUS nominees that Dobson was pleased with, and apparently 'now' is the time to trust him and have faith that he isn't a complete fucking liar.
So you are right. Seems like the city is a perfect storm of republican support. I knew from coworkers who lived in the Springs that it leaned right and was more conservative than, say, Denver, but I didn't know all that much about the evangelical movement there. So that sucks.

S-Wind

Anyone have a "realistic-ish worst case scenario" electoral map? I want to be comfortable in trump losing.

These last two weeks cant go by fast enough

The realistic worst case scenario is Donald Trump in the Oval Office.

If enough people who don't support Trump think that a Trump defeat is a foregone conclusion and don't get off their asses to go vote then get used to saying President Donald Trump for at least the next 4 years.

Look at Brexit. EVERYONE, even the politicians leading the Brexit charge thought that they had lost!

The realistic worst case scenario is Donald Trump in the Oval Office.

If enough people who don't support Trump think that a Trump defeat is a foregone conclusion and don't get off their asses to go vote then get used to saying President Donald Trump for at least the next 4 years.

Look at Brexit. EVERYONE, even the politicians leading the Brexit charge thought that they had lost!

Why does everyone keep on pushing this Brexit myth, here are the final 3 months of polling for both Brexit and this Election.
CvjpWhKWgAAM8BS.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom