• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Showed Something at GDC...Made People Excited. [Seemingly Not HL3]

Sibylus

Banned
My heart hopes for Half-Life 3.

My brain tells me it's probably a kickass biometric controller, though. Still want one!

Salsa

And no, it wouldn't get out if they only show it to a few people and they know those people personally.

I dont know about this. I personally thing some kind of "WINK" would get out

then again that's just me based on the fuckin myth HL3 became at this point

I mean if it was indeed this kinda super top secret HL3-level closed door stuff this guy wouldnt even be saying what he's saying here

Zeknurn

It could be that Valve is finalizing hardware with biometric sensors that the Director-equivalent in Payday 2 could benefit from.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I would imagine they would have showed off source engine 2.0 along with new steamworks features for developers and other misc steam stuff. Also controller stuff.

I wouldn't believe they would show off HL3 at a private event at GDC.

duckroll

I dont know about this. I personally thing some kind of "WINK" would get out

then again that's just me based on the fuckin myth HL3 became at this point

I mean if it was indeed this kinda super top secret HL3-level closed door stuff this guy wouldnt even be saying what he's saying here

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/224260350269341696

CliffyB and some other people saw the Ground Zeroes demo over a month before Kojima presented it to the public at the Japanese MGS anniversary event. This is not unusual. I'm sorry if you think that people who see cool things before you are obliged to mention exactly what they saw instead of just teasing it.

Hypron

Source engine 2 will probably look like crap but run very well on everything.

What? That doesn't make any sense.

When Half Life 2 was released it looked absolutely awesome and yet still ran really well on everything. There's no reason for Valve's next gen engine to look like crap.

Village

That wouldn't be that bad... :D

Possibly, behind closed doors for devs only as a "tech demo" of sorts?

Hey, if something as big as BF4 can be revealed there, anything's possible. :)

It isn't bad, have new characters for each class along with the old ones, gets some new classes.
I would play it.

xenist

Half Life 3.
Running on Source 2.
On the Steambox.
With Occulus Rift.

The Golden Box, out on Thanksgiving for 599.

But it's probably Source 2.

Salsa

I'm sorry if you think that people who see cool things before you are obliged to mention exactly what they saw instead of just teasing it.

no reason to get like that about it :/ im just saying that Half Life 3 grew to a point where I personally find it hard to believe nothing would leak out or be a bit more direct at pointing towards it. Im not necesarelly suggesting people are straight up unprofessional.

pants

It's GDC, it was technology being showcased, not a game. (could be technology showcased via a game though)

duckroll

no reason to get like that about it :/ im just saying that Half Life 3 grew to a point where I personally find it hard to believe nothing would leak out or be a bit more direct at pointing towards it. Im not necesarelly suggesting people are unprofessional.

The only way actual details would leak out is if someone is being really unprofessional about being shown something in good faith though! I'm not being a dick, I'm just saying that's the reality of the situation. As it is, people are already teasing they saw something cool. That's probably the most they can say at this point, regardless of what it is.

StuBurns

Banned
Even when things have leaked, the industry has done a good job of minimizing it I think. The Last Guardian was shown to the press at GDC the year before it was announced, and while it did leak, almost no one seemed to know about it, let alone the exacting details of the trailer. In fact, we even had someone post a thread about it here, and it was completely deleted.

Salsa

The only way actual details would leak out is if someone is being really unprofessional about being shown something in good faith though! I'm not being a dick, I'm just saying that's the reality of the situation. As it is, people are already teasing they saw something cool. That's probably the most they can say at this point, regardless of what it is.

Guess you're right. It all boils down to the fact that the allegedly first showing of HL3 this way feels underwhelming given the state of that game.

so yeah I just dont think it happened

ekim

imageuzxaa.jpg

?

ArjanN

If you know something early but can't say anything specific, I'd rather you say nothing at all.

Especially if it concerns HL3.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I remember the HL2 source presentation like it was yesterday; fond memories. However, I'm a pessimist when it comes to HL3 & source 2 because it has been forever now. :p

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

LMAO at the the comment on that tweet.

As for Valve, I have a pretty good idea of what they weren't showing.

Snark aside, they're not likely to be showing the eagerly awaited new entry in their flagship FPS to a lead designer for one of their main competitors, are they? I don't think it's Source 2 for the same reason. This is something they'll be wanting other devs to use and give them money for (which admittedly is the case with Source 2 but not for a company like DICE).

StuBurns

Banned
LMAO at the the comment on that tweet.

As for Valve, I have a pretty good idea of what they weren't showing.

Snark aside, they're not likely to be showing the eagerly awaited new entry in their flagship FPS to a lead designer for one of their main competitors, are they? I don't think it's Source 2 for the same reason. This is something they'll be wanting other devs to use and give them money for (which admittedly is the case with Source 2 but not for a company like DICE).
The industry isn't close to that petty. In fact, Valve and Bungie have had each other visit their studios a few times, they're the two biggest independent FPS design studios in the world.

duckroll

Hey guys, Source 2.0 supports VR on the Rift natively, and will launch along with Half Life 3! You heard it here first on Twitter!!!!!!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The industry isn't close to that petty. In fact, Valve and Bungie have had each other visit their studios a few times, they're the two biggest independent FPS design studios in the world.

Bunch of amateurs, no wonder so many studios are closing with all this pinko anti-capitalist philosophy running rife through the industry
;)

I still think it's likely to be hardware or software that other devs are either going to license or support: controller, VR, steambox etc... Just seems more like the thing Valve would bring to GDC than a lone game. Maybe it was VR HL3 running on Steambox controlled with a biometric keyboard + Kinectmote combo.

StuBurns

Banned
Bunch of amateurs, no wonder so many studios are closing with all this pinko anti-capitalist philosophy running rife through the industry
;)

I still think it's likely to be hardware or software that other devs are either going to license or support: controller, VR, steambox etc... Just seems more like the thing Valve would bring to GDC than a lone game. Maybe it was VR HL3 running on Steambox controlled with a biometric keyboard + Kinectmote combo.
To be serious, I would be surprised if it was 'Half-Life 3' as such. But if they're going to show Source 2 to people, I would imagine it'll be within a tech demo that looks like a game, and as HL3 is probably the closest to shipping of any Source 2 games they have, asset wise, it's an obvious candidate for the basis of a tech demo.

If you see a bunch of creates and a floating crowbar in a dark pretty room, you'd think you've seen HL3.

Oh, that guy in the OP is from DICE? Then it has to be something hardware related, I don't see why DICE would be interested in another developer's engine or game. They would be interested in hardware though.

LaneDS

If this ends up not being Half-Life 3 I am going to sigh heavily and keep waiting, possibly even crossing my arms somewhere in between.

eznark

Banned
HL3 is really just a character pack for Dota 2. Playable Gordon Freeman. Goldfarb is pumped because it's one less shooter in the market.

Top Bottom