• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Showed Something at GDC...Made People Excited. [Seemingly Not HL3]

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm guessing it's Source 2 related and they're trying to get early licensees on board. If they showed HL3 then it was likely as a tech demo for the engine. I don't think it's Steambox since devs won't need to do anything special for that since it's pretty much just a PC.

I'm guessing it's Source 2 related and they're trying to get early licensees on board. If they showed HL3 then it was likely as a tech demo for the engine. I don't think it's Steambox since devs won't need to do anything special for that since it's pretty much just a PC.

It has a special controller.

Sentenza

Forget Half Life 3, I just want news on Source 2. Valve really need a new engine.
And to bring SOB back!

ibz9zcyojwpnFV.gif

I was thinking, filled with hope, "Why would anyone be excited by the announcement of a new engine?"

But then I remembered what part of the console cycle we're in :/

The only thing that would excite me from Valve is HL3. (Or, to a lesser degree, L4D3.)

StuBurns

Banned
Half-Life 3 is obviously coming, but it certainly could still be a while away. In 2007 Lombardi said if they'd have attempted to make HL3, instead of the three episodes, it was going to take a decade. They ended up having to do it, and starting three years later than they would have, so people assuming there is no HL coming because we haven't seen or heard of it for five years are just underestimating Valve's patience.

Half-Life 3 is happening, at some point in this upcoming generation.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
If I was Valve, I wouldn't make HL3 either. If it's not the most amazing game ever made, people will shit all over it. Even Bioshock Infinite is getting shit on and it's 100 times better than Bioshock.

1-D_FTW

Is it crazy to think that one of Valve's ambitions with Source 2, Steam Workshop, and new tools might be to revive something like the Doom WAD scene?

I don't think it is. And if they truly have the ambitions we think they have, this has to be the core of it. But time will tell.

daveo42

Banned
What...so many posts of "Forget Half Life 3"

I am weeping over here...I want more Half Life damnit.

I think and hype anyone has for the game/series has died down to the point that, while it would be pretty awesome to play a new Half-Life game, most people have lost interest. 6 years is quite a long time to wait for a new game that ending on such a cliff-hanger.

I would, however, buy the game instantly if it ever does get released. My guess on the announce is they are finally showing off Source 2 and all the neat physics tricks it can do.

Orayn

I don't think it is. And if they truly have the ambitions we think they have, this has to be the core of it. But time will tell.

It would fit nicely into their focus on community, and could even connect to F2P if they made HL3 a "platform," with the main campaign simply being the best and biggest campaign for it.

Sentenza

Is it crazy to think that one of Valve's ambitions with Source 2, Steam Workshop, and new tools might be to revive something like the Doom WAD scene?
I don't think there is any doubt that user generated content is going to stay a big point for every single Valve product at this point.

Arnie

My gut feeling points to an unveiling of a Source successor that includes assets which would imply Half Life 3.

'Look at our new physics technology'

Demonstrator throws a barrel into some combine, etc.

KingKong

Yes, their goal is to create f2p multiplayer games supported by user content, not mods/levels

TxdoHawk

"hey guys we have something and it has a 3"

actually is Team Fortress 3

This would make me genuinely happy, as someone who's never been much of a Half-Life fan. Not happening though, it's too soon. I'm sure people at Valve are pitching and prototyping potential ideas for TF3 as we speak, but TF2 still has plenty of room to run.

Top Bottom