• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Sibylus

Banned
MasterShotgun said:
Okay, I jumped the gun on the "manifest" thing. There were files with the exact same name in the Portal 1 files. It does look like they were used to reference other files. I'll do my research better next time.

I still stand behind the other spoilerific post I made earlier (back a page or more), except for one point.

I mentioned a file called weapon_alyxgun. Turns out, it (and pretty much every weapon_ file in Portal 2) was probably just leftover from Portal 1 files. There goes that awesome hope.
weapon_alyxgun is the semi-auto machine pistol Alyx uses in the episodes, probably a fossil from the Orange Box. Spoiler potential is still potentially high in other places, though. I don't know if Valve would have included subtitle transcripts in the preload, but definitely steer clear of those if you're avoiding dialogue.

dLMN8R

MasterShotgun said:
I didn't mean that the word meant anything. I'm sure that the files are tied together. But I'm wondering what the files are being used for. Again, it's pure speculation and they might not even be that important. But that won't stop me from speculating.
No, I mean that the word "manifest" is commonly used in all aspects of computer science to refer to collections of similar objects, or to refer to metadata that describes objects.

hudanimations would refer to animations on the hud, hudanimations_manifest is metadata about those animations. And so on. You're definitely reading far to much into this.

[edit] I see this was already addressed in other posts, nm

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Botolf said:
weapon_alyxgun is the semi-auto machine pistol Alyx uses in the episodes, probably a fossil left over. Spoiler potential is still potentially high in other places, though. I don't know if Valve would have included subtitle transcripts in the preload, but definitely steer clear of those if you're avoiding dialogue.
The files are there. But every file downloaded is heavily[ encrypted until the game is unlocked. I couldn't spoil the game right now if I wanted to.

Twig

Banned
Greyvvolf said:
Just 9 or 8 more, SalsaShark. It looks like there is 29/30 potatoes all together. I have 18 so far and plan to get the potato for Amnesia tomorrow. No way in hell am I playing that tonight. The rest of the games are on my laptop and I won't have it until tomorrow. Good luck.
At least thirty, but no one's figured out how to get Aaaa's potato(s?), yet.

I'm at 11 for today, 24 total. Cogs is going to be a bitch. (I'm not cheating on that one 'cause it's a good game!)

Can I play Amnesia's and The Ball's extra content without being spoiled for the main game?

Also I still can't find the damn computer in Killing Floor. ):

Sibylus

Banned
MasterShotgun said:
The files are there. But every file downloaded is heavily[ encrypted until the game is unlocked. I couldn't spoil the game right now if I wanted to.
Good to know. Probably also means the map BSPs are similarly garbled. Less temptation to decompile them and take a peek in Hammer, lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope there's not too much punishment for not having many taters. I have three, and will probably get one or two more from the latest bunch, but thats it.

EatChildren said:
I hope there's not too much punishment for not having many taters. I have three, and will probably get one or two more from the latest bunch, but thats it.

I only have 1 from Audiosurf (couldn't afford the Potato Sack at the moment in addition to Portal 2, even though there's a few games in there I'd like to at least try).

I'm not too worried about it honestly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Gaijin Games website/blog mentions the recent update and it also has this paragraph:

Then a group of intrepid Internet Nerds figured out a plot to get the massively anticipated Portal 2 released early.

Those with all the potatoes get the game early, after all?

Hylian7

JaseC said:
The Gaijin Games website/blog mentions the recent update and it also has this paragraph:

Not necessarily, did you see this?

Heck, just by playing the games, you might even help to get Portal 2 released early…

Nedjoe

Neo Member
JaseC said:

There's no way they would release the game early to a few people right? I'm guessing once the community hits a certain potato number, the game gets released for everyone. At least I hope that's what happens, 10 potatoes are enough for me.

Nabs

Nedjoe said:
There's no way they would release the game early to a few people right? I'm guessing once the community hits a certain potato number, the game gets released for everyone. At least I hope that's what happens, 10 potatoes are enough for me.
That's more like it. There may be a large number that we have to work together to hit.

Salsa

YMMiG.png

JaseC

Do you have to perfect the Test level in BTB to get the second ApSci screen?

Hylian7 said:
Not necessarily, did you see this?

Nope. :p

What you fellas have said seems more likely.

Twig

Banned
JaseC said:
Do you have to perfect the Test level in BTB to get the second ApSci screen?
No. Haha. Hell no.

Wiki says, finish in Nether Mode and in Hyper Mode. That may be true, but I've also read that you just wait for the text to change on the title screen. Sometimes it's in BIT.TRIP font, and sometimes it's in... Portal font?

I finished in Nether with Portal font the first time and in Hyper with BIT.TRIP font the second time. Soooo. I can't confirm either way. X:

Also:
Me said:
Can I play Amnesia's and The Ball's extra content without being spoiled for the main game?

Also I still can't find the damn computer in Killing Floor. ):
S:

Zomba13

Should we join/make a server to get the KF computer?
I've got it and can show you guys (it nees to be done on multi or you have to be VERY lucky alone).

And the Amnesia expansion spoils nothing from the main game, maybe a monster design but I'm not very far in Amnesia (and I run/hide from the monsters anyway).

Twig

Banned
Zomba13 said:
I've got it and can show you guys (it nees to be done on multi or you have to be VERY lucky alone).
Oh, you need two people? I SEE. Well, if anyone's up for it, I need it. X:
And the Amnesia expansion spoils nothing from the main game, maybe a monster design but I'm not very far in Amnesia (and I run/hide from the monsters anyway).
Okay, cool. I'll probably do that tomorrow. And fail or shit my pants or both.

JaseC

Twig said:
No. Haha. Hell no.

Wiki says, finish in Nether Mode and in Hyper Mode. That may be true, but I've also read that you just wait for the text to change on the title screen. Sometimes it's in BIT.TRIP font, and sometimes it's in... Portal font?

I finished in Nether with Portal font the first time and in Hyper with BIT.TRIP font the second time. Soooo. I can't confirm either way. X:

I've completed the level at least 3 times now, and most recently with missing just one "beat". I always finish it on Nether mode. First couple of times were with the typical BTB font on the title screen and most recently with the Portal/Half-Life font.

I guess my question becomes: How the fuck do you enter Hyper mode?

Twig

Banned
Nether mode is the black and white mode. There's no way you'd finish in Nether mode if you only missed one beat. X: You have to miss... eight, I think?

Hyper mode is what you start in. Mega mode is the top mode, and it takes eighty beats, I think, to get to. Going into Nether and getting back out resets that to zero so you have to get eighty all over again. But I dunno if you can get Mega in the Portal level. Or if you can, it doesn't seem to change anything?

JaseC

Twig said:
Nether mode is the black and white mode. There's no way you'd finish in Nether mode if you only missed one beat. X: You have to miss... eight, I think?

Hyper mode is what you start in. Mega mode is the top mode, and it takes eighty beats, I think, to get to. But I dunno if you can get to it in the Portal level. Or if you can, it doesn't seem to change anything?

Oh. Why am I getting the Nether mode log-in URL when finishing the level in Hyper mode, then? :/ Unless, the two are mixed up on the Wiki?

I'll finish the level in Nether mode and see what happens.

Salsa

#23 get

Missing 123 kick it!, Cogs (these two are getting on my nerves), Defense Grid (just because i had it uninstalled) and Amnesia.

Salsa

Zomba13 said:

Not at all, specimens walk right through the door and open it by doing so, you just stand near to it and walk by when a specimen does.

11, I don't think there are anymore I could possibly get with the games I have now. Thinking about getting either Toki Tori or TWEOTW possibly because I actually have interest in them. I bought RUSH because of this potato thing and that turned out to be a really fun game.

Twig

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Not at all, specimens walk right through the door and open it by doing so, you just stand near to it and walk by when a specimen does.
Hah, really?

I got n0b to help me anyway so it's all good. :D

Twig

Banned
JaseC said:
Oh. Why am I getting the Nether mode log-in URL when finishing the level in Hyper mode, then? :/ Unless, the two are mixed up on the Wiki?

I'll finish the level in Nether mode and see what happens.
I dunno. I got them as the Wiki says. X:

EDIT: Oops, double post!

Jintor

What the hell Salsashark, are you posting from the future or something? Somehow my post ended up slotting behind yours.

JaseC

I suck at Audiosurf. I can't get within 15k of the gold medal score.

Twig said:
I dunno. I got them as the Wiki says. X:

EDIT: Oops, double post!

I finished the level in Nether mode (as in, I got into the mode just before the level began to fade). Instead of fading to black, it faded to white, but nonetheless I still got the same log-in. :/

BY2K

Membero Americo
So, by finishing the new mission in Defense Grid, I now have 3 recruits to... recruit.

1 is already done. The next two will go to NeoGAF members.

First arrived, first served.

BY2K said:
So, by finishing the new mission in Defense Grid, I now have 3 recruits to... recruit.

What does that mean?
EDIT: Uh, me please?
Steam tag: crazydealer

Twig

Banned
BY2K said:

Me please!

Steam name: Twig

edit: no fair you don't even know what it is ):

BY2K

Membero Americo
Shall be done tonight, Zaro and Prophet Steve. I'm leaving for work soon.

The new mission is quite the challenge to get on Gold.

P.S: Your Steam IDs won't be enough. I will have to add you to my friend list because I need information about your characters.

Doopliss

JaseC said:
I suck at Audiosurf. I can't get within 15k of the gold medal score.
I spent over an hour last night trying to do it on Novice in the manner described on the wiki but the best I could get was ~170k. Tried the new suggestion on there of doing it on Pro (Pointman, though I don't think the mode makes a difference) and got it on my first full run through with 20k to spare. It requires a higher score but you get way more more white cubes, just focus on one colour at a time.

Zaro said:
Cool. On that note, anyone here want a copy of Defense Grid? I have a spare (Also Super Meat Boy).
Still available?

Edit: beaten on defense grid, but if SMB is still available that would be awesome

Feep

Banned
I can't help but think Portal 2 is going to have a potato comedy theme, like the first had a cake comedy theme.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd be sad if an early release was exclusive to those who owned the potato pack.

Basically I'm now paranoid I wont get an early copy for no good reason.

Zaro said:
Clever Pun and darkpaladinmfc, PM me emails.
Thanks for the game!

EatChildren said:
I'd be sad if an early release was exclusive to those who owned the potato pack.

It doesn't seem like something Valve would do.

JaseC

That Toki Tori walkthrough video for the "real" Test bonus level #6 is useless when it's nearly impossible to get past that shower curtain bit at the start. The timing allows absolutely no room for error and the best I can do is remove the curtain, move forward and run into the enemy. I don't have the room to run up the ladder.

Edit: And I get through it as soon as I complain on GAF! God bless you.

EatChildren said:

The way its phrased on the Gaijin blog makes it seem as though the game will be unlocked early for everybody if we get to the end of the ARG in time. Those with potatoes will probably get a little something extra, but that would be it I imagine.

syoaran

EatChildren said:

After the march line up of awesome gaming, and the May/June period of also awesome gaming, I can't justify buying a pack of games that I will not play. So yes, it would suck if the game came out early for those that owned the pack, or had earned every potato. Early release for everyone that has at least one potato, that I'm ok with ;)

Top Bottom