• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Twig

Banned
JaseC said:
That Toki Tori walkthrough video for the "real" Test bonus level #6 is useless when it's nearly impossible to get past that shower curtain bit at the start. The timing allows absolutely no room for error and the best I can do is remove the curtain, move forward and run into the enemy. I don't have the room to run up the ladder.

Edit: And I get through it as soon as I complain on GAF! God bless you.
o_O

I didn't have to do anything so timing-dependent. The walkthrough must give you a dumb solution.

EVIL

EatChildren said:
I'd be sad if an early release was exclusive to those who owned the potato pack.

Basically I'm now paranoid I wont get an early copy for no good reason.
portal is drenched in the cooperation concept, so I think I am safe to assume all effort that is put into solving this thing is to ensure a quick release for everybody.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Twig said:
o_O

I didn't have to do anything so timing-dependent. The walkthrough must give you a dumb solution.

Yeah, it was unnecessarily difficult. Got the potato, though.

KiKaL

I keep fighting myself to not get the Potato Pack. I want to go for more potatoes but then keep saying I don't need to spend the $35 when I have a big Steam backlog and have Portal 2 on the way next week. I also just built a HTPC and some of these seem great for that type of set up....ahh damn you Steam! I already have Killing Floor, Defense Grid, Amnesia and Audiosurf which make's it pointless to just buy the games I need.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
KiKaL said:
I keep fighting myself to not get the Potato Pack. I want to go for more potatoes but then keep saying I don't need to spend the $35 when I have a big Steam backlog and have Portal 2 on the way next week. I also just built a HTPC and some of these seem great for that type of set up....ahh damn you Steam! I already have Killing Floor, Defense Grid, Amnesia and Audiosurf which make's it pointless to just buy the games I need.
Toki Tori, The Ball and Super Meat Boy are all great on the HTPC setup. The Ball has some of the best content to come out of this ARG easily.

KiKaL

Yeah seeing those The Ball screenshots really made me want to pick it up. I've always been interested in Meat Boy as well....hmmm

The_Technomancer said:
Hahahahaha, someone is twisted.

Man, I feel like I should get at least one potato. Which ones are the easiest?
If you've played Super Meat Boy up to world 4, then just die 11 times on a certain level (check the ARG) to get a potato. In Audiosurf you just need to get a gold medal on some 30 second level, that sounds pretty easy too.

I spent way too long trying to get the Audiosurf one on any difficulty, my arm's killing me and I still didn't make it. And I used to like that song too.

Edit: To be clear, it's the "Device has been Modified" one I was doing.

Baha

I followed this tip from the wiki:

Go on Pro, during the slow parts go for orange + companion cube, on fast parts go for blue + companion cube. (via slimd1995 in IRC)

Really helps for people who are accustomed to ninja mono. Got 337k on pro for the gold.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
The_Technomancer said:
Hahahahaha, someone is twisted.

Man, I feel like I should get at least one potato. Which ones are the easiest?

Amnesia is by far the easiest. All you have to do is create a profile named "Casbah". The login screen will appear, enter the password "troubled memories", and you've earned a potato.

The 20 sec. Audiosurf song is probably the second easiest.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
MasterShotgun said:
Amnesia is by far the easiest. All you have to do is create a profile named "Casbah". The login screen will appear, enter the password "troubled memories", and you've earned a potato.

The 20 sec. Audiosurf song is probably the second easiest.
The two newest Defense Grid ones only involve running some C:/ commands too

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EatChildren said:
That is hillarious and terrifying.

I want to believe Valve planed this.

Also, shameless cross-post:

Me said:
I just realised that the Cog save I used to access the BestLaidPlans level you need to beat to get the first ApSci log-in page unlocked a few Steam achievements at precisely the same time.

I suppose using the new save that allows you to play the two new ApSci log-in levels wouldn't be that much more of a transgression, even though it'll unlock many more if not the rest of the achievements...

Edit: I'm stupid and thought this was the ARG thread.

Edit: I got the second (well, technically third) BTB log-in screen. Not sure how, though, but I'm glad it happened. Now I'm working on Cogs, obviously.

It's pretty funny how Portal 2 is the focus of like 4 or 5 active frontpage threads on GAF today, none of which are even it's OT. Clearly it's stirring the pot, but what else did we expect?

Dropping another plug for Amnesia's Justine, finished it this morning (notably in full daylight) and holy hell was it good. In a roughly 30 minute experience, they crafted a believable side story to the regular plot, made the whole thing a
rough homage to GlaDOS without being overbearing about it
, and even had time left over for a slightly twist ending that actually caught me by surprise. Bravo, Frictional.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
rainking187 said:
Not sure which Portal 2 thread to stick this in, but Amazon.com has a bunch of Portals on the site, and if you follow all of them you eventually get to this page:http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_355889282_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000671171&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-10&pf_rd_r=1DPC0THCR89Z76WFCJCT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1293260462&pf_rd_i=2636782011, which has a couple of songs and some concept art on it. Not sure if this is old or not.
What do you mean "Amazon has a bunch of Portals on the site"?

Jenga

Banned
Campster said:
That's like the least canon date ever, though.

SkyNet really became self-aware on August 29th, 1997.
so did Gladdos!

not really tho

unless she was active before 1998 anyway

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Assuming it isn't bullshit, it looks like she's hyjacked the Wiki.

# 11:35: Various players are having their User page and/or their Steam profiles changed by unknown hands.
11:25: Stop worrying about them. They are okay. They are still people. Who are okay. They are busy doing safe things that are supervised by a responsible safety associate. Everything is fine here.

This is so great.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Check this. Steam profiles being hyjacked, users kicked from IRC, shit being edited.

Oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man.

Sai-kun

Banned
EatChildren said:
Assuming it isn't bullshit, it looks like she's hyjacked the Wiki.

This is so great.

Haha, holy shit, that is amazing

Edit: goddamn

What is more likely, that you are being stalked by a homicidal computer, or that this is all just a paranoid delusion of your unstable minds. I mean really, you're people. And aren't people supposed to be sane?

Zomba13

OK, I decided to get the rest of the Potato sack games I was missing. Seeing as the price of the games separately was like, £1 or 2 less than the sack price, I just bought the sack meaning I have a few games to trade/give away.

I have these games to gift/trade:
1...2...3... Kick It
AAAAAaaaaaa
Amnesia
Audiosurf
Killing Floor
The Wonderful End of The World
Toki Tori

And Portal 1

Zomba13 said:
OK, I decided to get the rest of the Potato sack games I was missing. Seeing as the price of the games separately was like, £1 or 2 less than the sack price, I just bought the sack meaning I have a few games to trade/give away.

1...2...3... Kick It
AAAAAaaaaaa
Amnesia
Audiosurf
Killing Floor
Toki Tori

And Portal 1

Audiosurf plz?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zomba13 said:

1...2...3... Kick It
AAAAAaaaaaa
Amnesia
Audiosurf
Killing Floor
Toki Tori

And Portal 1
I'd like any of 1..2..3, Killing Floor or Wonderful End of the World, if you want to work out some kind of trade.

Also, I still have a Portal 1 to give away.

Firehead

Zomba13 said:

1...2...3... Kick It
AAAAAaaaaaa
Amnesia
Audiosurf
Killing Floor
Toki Tori

And Portal 1
Ugh... I'm missing The Ball, 1 2 3 Kick It and AaaAaa. How is The Ball anyway?

Top Bottom