• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various eShop software download sizes for Nintendo Switch games

fernoca

Heroes 1 is like 58GB or so on PS4.

Holy shit you're right, where did I pull 58 out of my ass? Was I thinking DOOM?
Maybe. :p
But yep..
(As for DQ Heroes, the footage I've seen and file size seem to indicate that it's a very poorly optimized game.)
Checking around, the PS3 version of II is 16GB and on Vita is 3GB.

Seems unoptimized in many ways, considering how it looks and the reported frame rate problems.

GLAMr

Yowza, seems like a hefty (and pricey!) 128 or 256GB SD card might not take long to fill.

A carry case with cartridge slots is a bad option IMO. If my $470 console gets lost or stolen, I don't want to lose another $500 worth of games at the same time.

Not that digital is all that great an option with Nintendo. If anything happens to my PlayStation or Xbox, I can buy a new console for $300 and get my digital content back in no time. If my Wii or 3DS is lost or stolen, my digital content is gone forever. Hopefully Nintendo addresses this with the Switch.

Meffer

Yowza, seems like a hefty (and pricey!) 128 or 256GB SD card might not take long to fill.

A carry case with cartridge slots is a bad option IMO. If my $470 console gets lost or stolen, I don't want to lose another $500 worth of games at the same time.

Not that digital is all that great an option with Nintendo. If anything happens to my PlayStation or Xbox, I can buy a new console for $300 and get my digital content back in no time. If my Wii or 3DS is lost or stolen, my digital content is gone forever. Hopefully Nintendo addresses this with the Switch.

Nintendo confirmed all your purchases are tied to your account. No system transfers for the Switch. So if you had your Switch lost, stolen or broken. You just need to log in your account on a new Switch and you're good.

fernoca

Is not lost forever though and recent documentation plus leaks confirmed just needing to sign-in on a new hardware, to redownload anything.

Just as I thought. Already 32GB games. If you want anything digital on this thing you gotta shell out another $60-$200+ for memory. I am digital only ugh

99Luffy

Banned
I never get these threads. I have maybe 20% of my steam library installed across three SSD drives. I dont need to have everything installed at one time. Thats just crazy.

There you go. Game publishers can already use 32GB cards, and they will use them despite the lower internal storage of the system.

BreakAtmo

LOL @ people jumping to "BUT ONE SINGLE GAME FILLS ALL THE SPACE" argument, when they (probably on purpose) ignore the fact that these are two games in one package.

Though in fairness, they are two largely similar games in the same series. It's likely that a chunk of that 32GB is made up of the various game data basics being on there twice, and that a smaller size could have been achieved by taking the second game and porting the exclusive stuff from the first into it, like how Dissidia 012 includes all the story and characters and gameplay and whatnot from the first game, rather than just being new stuff and inefficiently packaging both games together separately.

3DS and Vita are both this way, at least with Switch you can download some games without extra storage. You can expand the storage without expensive proprietary cards too, so complaining about this is kind of dumb. This is the reality of mobile devices.

Sacul64GC

Banned
It's not a big deal for me, since I'll be buying retail...

I think the issue is that I could easily imagine it being an issue/unexpected for some kids and uninformed parents.

Ultimately, I'd rather Nintendo didn't put a size limit on game size, but I do understand arguments otherwise.

It will be a lot easier then trying to explain to a parent why they need a 40$ memory card when their kid just wants to buy the game they got with the vita. I even had to deal with the wallmart not even carrying the things and not telling people you needed one to play any games on the thing.

Yes I know but I was told sd cards were dirt cheap and that's not the case
It's $40 for 128GBA. That isn't bad at all for mobile storage. If you were expanding your phone's memory it would be the same price. There is literally nothing else they could do, especially given that Heroes 1+2 is a port of 2 PS4 games, where file sizes routinely run 50gb+. People are making a mountain out of a molehill on this one.

Bluth54

For an extra 96GB of Internal storage Apple will charge you an extra $100, ou really dont think Nintendo wouldn't raise the price for an extra 32GB of Memory?

Just because Apple can charge $100 for an extra 96 GB of memory doesn't mean they, or Nintendo would have to. Flash memory is very cheap.

What the Nintendo apologists just aren't getting here is how quickly this memory is going to fill up even if you buy all retail games on cards.

We know from the Switch UI video that only around 26 GB of that 32 GB is available for storage. You decide to go all physical when possible but do buy some smaller games and indie games on the eshop. These indie games aren't little apps that are only 50 MB downloads like on your phone. Many are going to be several hundred MB if not in the GB range. Snipperclips is going to be 1.6 GB. Lets say you buy Smash and Splatoon 2. Those games will likely have large patches that end up in the multiple GB range each. Lets say you buy some DLC for a retail game card like Zelda: Breath of the Wild, that second DLC is probably at the very least be in the hundreds of MB range if not a GB or more...the fact of the matter is 26 GB just isn't enough space if you're mainly going to be going with physical game cards.

Games are getting bigger. Devs on the Switch have 3 time more RAM available to them than the Wii U and assets are going to take up more space yet the Swtich has the same amount of on board memory as the Wii U. 32GB may be fine for 99% of mobile phone users but it's not fine for a videogame console in 2017.

Just because Apple can charge $100 for an extra 96 GB of memory doesn't mean they, or Nintendo would have to. Flash memory is very cheap.

What the Nintendo apologists just aren't getting here is how quickly this memory is going to fill up even if you buy all retail games on cards.

We know from the Switch UI video that only around 26 GB of that 32 GB is available for storage. You decide to go all physical when possible but do buy some smaller games and indie games on the eshop. These indie games aren't little apps that are only 50 MB downloads like on your phone. Many are going to be several hundred MB if not in the GB range. Lets say you buy Smash and Splatoon 2. Those games will likely have large patches that end up in the multiple GB range each. Lets say you buy some DLC for a retail game card like Zelda: Breath of the Wild, that second DLC is probably at the very least be in the hundreds of MB range if not a GB or more...the fact of the matter is 26 GB just isn't enough space if you're mainly going to be going with physical game cards.

Games are getting bigger. Devs on the Switch have 3 time more RAM available to them than the Wii U and assets are going to take up more space yet the Swtich has the same amount of on board memory as the Wii U. 32GB may be fine for 99% of mobile phone users but it's not fine for a videogame console in 2017.

Nintendo is notoriously cheap, just get over it and buy a sd card. Stop ragging on those darned NINTENDO FANS.

martino

Do you think HDD external could come later. There is a USB port on the dock you could use (and transferred only game you need on SD/internal)

i paid $70 for my 200gb that is considered cheap

$70 for half of something that should've already been there. I am only looking at 1TB and over 💀

It's $40 for 128GBA. That isn't bad at all for mobile storage. If you were expanding your phone's memory it would be the same price. There is literally nothing else they could do, especially given that Heroes 1+2 is a port of 2 PS4 games, where file sizes routinely run 50gb+. People are making a mountain out of a molehill on this one.

I will have that thing docked at all times. It's a console it's unacceptable that we have to shell out that much. Patches? How much space is that gonna take? They're in gigs this generation.

$70 for half of something that should've already been there. I am only looking at 1TB and over 💀

I will have that thing docked at all times. It's a console it's unacceptable that we have to shell out that much. Patches? How much space is that gonna take? They're in gigs this generation.
If the system's concept as a handheld and console hybrid doesn't appeal to you, then don't buy it. These are the concessions they needed to make a hybrid possible, there really weren't any better alternatives. You don't have to like that, but you also don't have to buy one. If it's that big a deal to you, don't purchase one.

massoluk

Banned
If the system's concept as a handheld and console hybrid doesn't appeal to you, then don't buy it. These are the concessions they needed to make a hybrid possible, there really weren't any better alternatives. You don't have to like that, but you also don't have to buy one. If it's that big a deal to you, don't purchase one.
Come on man, don't buy one is such a cop out argument.

Is that supposed to be the excuse? Because as a hybrid that would mean it has to meet standards for both sides. Why is it that when someone has a valid complaint that we automatically use the "it's a portable" excuse for its shortcomings??? Also saying "you don't have to buy it" when it will be the only place to get Nintendo games makes no sense. There's a defense force for everything I guess :/.

jonno394

My 128gb micro sd card is ready. Looking at the breakdown, the only way to get "console" memory would have been to make the thing much bigger and much more expensive. I can't really fault them for their thought process here, especially as they used the most prevalent expandable memory format.

Bluth54

Nintendo is notoriously cheap, just get over it and buy a sd card. Stop ragging on those darned NINTENDO FANS.

I'm talking about Nintendo apologists. Nintendo has made bad decision after bad decision for the Switch yet so many people here defend those decisions for some reason.

I count myself as a Nintendo fan. I think they make some of the best games in the industry. I've bought every Nintendo system on day one since the Gamecube (which was the first time I could afford to buy a system myself). I've bought all their handhelds since the GBA at or near launch.I have a Switch and the Master edition of Breath of the Wild preordered. That doesn't mean I'm going to make excuses for Nintendo's bad decisions with the Switch.

I also noticed you do nothing to address my point that if you just buy retail, some DLC and some indie/smaller games for the Switch that you're going to run out of memory other than the same, tired excuse of spending more money on the Switch.

I'm talking about Nintendo apologists. Nintendo has made bad decision after bad decision for the Switch yet so many people here defend those decisions for some reason.

I count myself as a Nintendo fan. I think they make some of the best games in the industry. I've bought every Nintendo system on day one since the Gamecube (which was the first time I could afford to buy a system myself). I've bought all their handhelds since the GBA at or near launch.I have a Switch and the Master edition of Breath of the Wild preordered. That doesn't mean I'm going to make excuses for Nintendo's bad decisions with the Switch.

I also noticed you do nothing to address my point that if you just buy retail, some DLC and some indie/smaller games for the Switch that you're going to run out of memory other than the same, tired excuse of spending more money on the Switch.

It has nothing to do with cartridges or digital, you are supposed to buy an SD card. It isn't a big deal, the prices are fine.

Is that supposed to be the excuse? Because as a hybrid that would mean it has to meet standards for both sides. Why is it that when someone has a valid complaint that we automatically use the "it's a portable" excuse for its shortcomings??? Also saying "you don't have to buy it" when it will be the only place to get Nintendo games makes no sense. There's a defense force for everything I guess :/.
You stated yourself you don't care about the portable aspect of the device, that's a huge part of the appeal. You can expand the storage if need be, by the cheapest means that are available for any consumer device. The only other thing they could do is support external hard drives while docked, which I think they should do, but otherwise there's not really another solution. They can't put a 500gb hard drive in a mobile device. I'm saying don't buy it because obviously the downsides of it being a portable device are a huge deal for you, and the benefits of portability don't matter to you.

bounchfx

it does meet the standards. what's happening in this thread is not a defense force so much as hyperbole from the other side

what it comes down to is the system is fine as is, and maybe a fraction of a percent of players have a legitimate issue with the storage in a way that will prevent them from buying it. the rest of us will either buy an sd card when we need the space or buy physical

D.Lo

You seriously want to be able to add a platter based slow-ass moving parts HDD to this in able to have 1GB of cheaper but much slower storage?

1TB would hold 142 copies of Mario Kart 8. It would even hold over 60 copies of the Dragon Quest Heroes games (32Gb is the double pack). How many people will by buying 60-142 retail games as downloads?

And by the time you get halfway there, (say three years at one game a month), a 1TB SD card will probably be under $50.

Come on man, don't buy one is such a cop out argument.
His expectations are unrealistic given current technology. It's nice to want things, but what he wants is impossible. The best they could do is support external drives while docked, but otherwise you have to be realistic about what the device is.

Fularu

Banned
Man switch threads really are a carnival of stupid these days.

Between haters, concern trolling, obvious lame jokes and downright insane demands from people who clearly have no intention whatsoever to soil their hands with a Nintendo product it's becoming incredibly difficult to have intelligent discussion around here.

People would complain even if it had 128 gb (and it would be the exact same people bitching in this thread), heck it could have a 512 gb SSD (for the very low low price of 500$ tacked on the system) and people would still complain that they can't get 2 gb for it.

Newsflash, you can't have your whole digital library on either Xbox 1 or PS4 either with the base starting kits (500 gb systems) unless you only ever buy like 15 games total during the lifetime of your system.

Something Nintendo never claimed. They said it is a hybrid that can be home console and portable.

? Do what?

Giving tablet a standard amount of storage?

What was the excuse of the Wii U having low storage as well? Calling it a tablet excuse is lame. Their not even calling it a tablet.

JB2448

Lol Nintendo, Im never shocked anymore on what they do.
What does this even mean? When did the caliber of posting on this board in relation to Nintendo get so unabashedly and unprecedentedly negative?

As long as microSD cards are cheap, Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2's filesize really isn't too bad. Seeing not just the fact that it's two titles in one, but that that they're bigger than any of the others on launch day almost two-fold speaks more to it seemingly being a rushed port than anything else. If a game like Breath of the Wild can fit in less than half of that size, I just can't see DQH having that much more complex structure to pack in. We won't know for sure until other Warriors style games come to the system though, it seems.

bman94

It's ridiculous that a console can launch in 2017 and still require people to buy extra storage right out of the gate.

Oh c'mon, a Xbox One 500 GB is damn near useless after a few game installs without a extra hard drive.

On topic, it's amazing how Nintendo generally keeps down load sizes ridiculously small for their first party software.

massoluk

Banned
What was the excuse of the Wii U having low storage as well? Calling it a tablet excuse is lame. Their not even calling it a tablet.

Out of the box standard SD card and external USB drive support

Edit: Also did I dream them labeling a "tablet mode" meh, whatever, handheld... Tablet...

Alex

When I get around to buying one, I had wanted to buy digitally but a reasonably priced SD card isn't going to cut it. If it was like... Steam or something, I could always delete and re-download but I can't even put up with that at PSN speeds. I had largely avoided digital with the Wii U I remember how long it took me to get a free humble bundle game off of the Wii U, it was obscene.

Maybe if they had some system like Vita where you could transfer shit to store on a PC, that would be OK for me but I severely doubt that'll happen. Another good scenario would be to let the damn dock use an external drive and let you transfer files around but I think I heard that isn't in yet? Maybe it'll come eventually.

This is a stupid situation.

The Wii U having pitiful storage capacity was a stupid mistake on Nintendo's part. For Switch, it is easily and cheaply expandable and is due to the realities of the device. But sure, keep pretending it's the exact same situation.

Yeah, I look and see a tablet, but some people on this website insisted that a web browser is not necessary because it's not a tablet.

The form factor is closer to a tablet, but it's not a tablet. The odd exclusion of a full web browser may contribute to Nintendo hyperfocus to ensure everyone that this is a primarily a gaming machine.

Bluth54

It has nothing to do with cartridges or digital, you are supposed to buy an SD card. It isn't a big deal, the prices are fine.

If you're supposed to buy an SD card why bother including any memory for saving content on the system at all? Nintendo could of saved so much money by only including only 8 GB of flash for the OS and nothing for games or DLC the system would of been so much cheaper!

Top Bottom