• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WARIO LAND: THE SHAKE DIMENSION

batbeg

It's going to be said eventually anyway, but why does Nintendo's first console 2d game since Yoshi N64 look like... well, like this? I suppose they could just be bad pictures and the size hides the awesomeness, but it's still kind of disappointing.

ksamedi

slaughterking said:
azedzme0cxdeac017.jpg

Finally, and it looks good too.

Shiggy

batbeg said:
It's going to be said eventually anyway, but why does Nintendo's first console 2d game since Yoshi N64 look like... well, like this? I suppose they could just be bad pictures and the size hides the awesomeness, but it's still kind of disappointing.

Disappointing?

Shiggy said:
Disappointing?

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand that. It seems to have really nice hand-drawn 2D backgrounds in the traditional Wario Land style and what seems to be a large, detailed Wario model (still not sure if it’s sprite or 3D though). Perhaps when they’re blown up to the correct size the backdrops won’t be as nice as they seem to be, or perhaps poor animation will let it down but I can’t see how any fan of the series would be disappointed so far.

Hey reminds me of Wario Land 4 ( a true testament of platforming brilliance) , I calmly await gameplay videos that will have me doing somersaults.

Hopefully the screens a really jacked because that looks very mediocre. The resolution is hardly up to par with Wario Land 4. Crap. And don't defend it. I expect a 2D game on Wii to look mighty impressive.

evilromero said:
Hopefully the screens a really jacked because that looks very mediocre. The resolution is hardly up to par with Wario Land 4. Crap. And don't defend it. I expect a 2D game on Wii to look mighty impressive.

What do you mean the "resolution is hardly up to par..."? These are low-quality, 240px wide screens (they actually look like cleaned up scans, TBH) of a game that will - I assume - be running at 480p.

Cosmonaut X said:
What do you mean the "resolution is hardly up to par..."? These are low-quality, 240px wide screens (they actually look like cleaned up scans, TBH) of a game that will - I assume - be running at 480p.
I understand that but it's hard to imagine the game looking any better after it has been properly resized. Look, the screens don't lie- it looks mediocre. There's no other way around it.

Shiggy

Cosmonaut X said:
Yeah, I'm not sure I understand that. It seems to have really nice hand-drawn 2D backgrounds in the traditional Wario Land style and what seems to be a large, detailed Wario model (still not sure if it’s sprite or 3D though). Perhaps when they’re blown up to the correct size the screens won’t look as nice, or perhaps poor animation will let it down but I can’t see how any fan of the series would be disappointed so far.

Ok, it might be just my opinion then ;)
(As I also think Super Mario World looks great)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
evilromero said:
I understand that but it's hard to imagine the game looking any better after it has been properly resized. Look, the screens don't lie- it looks mediocre. There's no other way around it.
That or you're just really bad at trolling.

Looks fine to me. It will probably look even better in its proper resolution as well, it's not like it'll lose detail when you get to view it without compression and whatnot.

Editz: But yeah, you are entitled to your own opinion and all that so yeah it's not like I get to decide if you're wrong or not :\

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Thanks, both of you. I still can't see too much in those screens, I think I'll wait for Famitsu and direct feed.

ShockingAlberto said:
I doubt it.
There's nothing wrong with being critical of established Nintendo characters. Wouldn't you rather have a Wario Land game that actually looked like it was running on the Wii?

Shiggy

evilromero said:
There's nothing wrong with being critical of established Nintendo characters. Wouldn't you rather have a Wario Land game that actually looked like it was running on the Wii?

How do you want a platformer like Wario Land to look like? I'd rather have this simple Wario Land style than too many details where I can't see anything. At least it's quite a step from Wario Land 4:D

Shiggy said:
How do you want a platformer like Wario Land to look like? I'd rather have this simple Wario Land style than too many details where I can't see anything. At least it's quite a step from Wario Land 4:D
I thought WL4 looked great. It and WL3 are two of my most played games. The music in both is legendary and that is one aspect I hope returns in Shake. Still, I'm not going to give in to my excitement and just let this game get a free pass. It'll have to earn my praise.

evilromero said:
Hey, I was right to doubt that you understand what anyone was defending. Awesome.

Shiggy

evilromero said:
I thought WL4 looked great. It and WL3 are two of my most played games. The music in both is legendary and that is one aspect I hope returns in Shake. Still, I'm not going to give in to my excitement and just let this game get a free pass. It'll have to earn my praise.

I don't have a problem with that ;)
I only wonder how to bring the WL4 style to the Wii if not in the way Good-Feel does. The backgrounds look beautiful imo and Wario itself is cel-shaded.

TreIII

Looking good so far...from what I can see. :lol

I'm hoping that if what has been said is true, then tonight's Famitsu may have the first real "scoop" on this game.

Can't wait...go Wario!

Halcyon776

Neo Member
If its as deep and addicting as Warioland 2 was for the gameboy, I don't think i can resist its allure! Thank you for making it 2d and not 3d!

Halcyon776 said:
If its as deep and addicting as Warioland 2 was for the gameboy, I don't think i can resist its allure! Thank you for making it 2d and not 3d!
Did you play Wario Land 3? It blows 2 out of the water.

Halcyon776

Neo Member
evilromero said:
Did you play Wario Land 3? It blows 2 out of the water.

actually no sadly :-( I was a supid kid back then with no way of learning when a 3rd or a forth sequel came out; Maybe when I have time I'll try it out! The series were so refreshing since you were immortal, I'l surprised we haven't seen other games like it.

dk_

atomico said:
that screenshot with wario shaking a vase made me wanna replay mischief makers :D

shake shake shake

I wonder why there are still no real screenshots. What's wrong with the game?

dk_ said:

Whut? The only images we have so far come from a shitty scan of a promotional flyer that came from - IIRC - a recent Nintendo retailer meeting and these new, unsourced but slightly better pics. The only reason we have these is because someone passed them on before the game was officially unveiled.

There's no reason to believe there's anything "wrong" with the game just because someone put out a shitty scan of a promo leaflet before Nintendo release official info & screens...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
dk_ said:

Nintendo's brilliant marketing strategy is to keep everything back until the last minute.

This looks like a GBA/DS game... Yoshi's Story, the DKC series, and Super Paper Mario looked better than this. Hopefully, this game will look better in motion because it looks like NSMB right now.

TreIII

KeeSomething said:
This looks like a GBA/DS game... Yoshi's Story, the DKC series, and Super Paper Mario looked better than this. Hopefully, this game will look better in motion because it looks like NSMB right now.

...Yeah. Way to miss the point of what was discussed earlier. These shots are reduced in size and quality, of course they're not going to be good indicators of what this game could look like.

Cosmonaut X said:
At the risk of labouring a point, here are two screenshots of similar Wii games reduced in size and compressed for comparison:

spmtemp.jpg

youtoudentemp.jpg

Look at the above. As Cosmonaut X states, when you use similar quality shots for other games, they look terrible too!

Vinci

Danish
Christ, we're already demeaning this game based on shit shots like those? Damn. Give it time to put out some decent screens, maybe a gameplay video or two, before writing the game off as looking like garbage.

Wow.

TreIII said:
...Yeah. Way to miss the point of what was discussed earlier. These shots are reduced in size and quality, of course they're not going to be good indicators of what this game could look like.

Look at the above. As Cosmonaut X states, when you use similar quality shots for other games, they look terrible too!
They clearly still look way better than a DS game, unlike WLS. Talk about missing the point!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
evilromero said:

Do you always complain about everything Nintendo?

TreIII said:
There's no need to be rude. And I did read that point. Regardless of Wario Shake being scaled down, I can see its artstyle, and I find it boring and uninspired like NSMB. Even with Super Paper Mario being scaled down, you can still say "Well, that's a crappy screenshot, but I like the artsyle." And, like nincompoop stated, you can tell that Super Paper Mario and the other game are not DS games, while I'm still having trouble believing that Wario: TSD is not a DS game.

Oh well, I'm sure the game will look much better in motion.

harSon

Banned
Gagaman said:
Here you go:
f3bzgo.jpg

Wario looks like a 3D model to me. Pretty hard to tell from such small shots, though.

I wish Nintendo would make their next Mario game for the Wii like this, Galaxy was amazing from the little I've played but Super Mario 3/Super Mario World/ Yoshi's Island are god among video games.

HK-47 said:
Do you always complain about everything Nintendo?
I am just being overly critical because the Wii is the only system I own. Plus these are important characters and I feel they deserve nothing short of greatness.

JDSN

Banned
dk_ said:

Because it was recently announced? Give it a break, they'll show it when they are ready, which will be on the next Famitsu.

TreIII

KeeSomething said:
There's no need to be rude. And I did read that point. Regardless of Wario Shake being scaled down, I can see its artstyle, and I find it boring and uninspired like NSMB. Even with Super Paper Mario being scaled down, you can still say "Well, that's a crappy screenshot, but I like the artsyle." And, like nincompoop stated, you can tell that Super Paper Mario and the other game are not DS games, while I'm still having trouble believing that Wario: TSD is not a DS game.

Sorry if I sounded rude, but Vinci's sentiments basically echo my own.

To get to my point...the thing is, we've had chances to see what SPM and Vanillaware's new game look like when they have better screen grabs. Those pre-conceived notions of what the game is "supposed" to look like make it so that of course, you're going to say it looks better, even when it the quality of the grabs are reduced.

But take it back like about a year and some change ago. Say that the mock-ups that Cosmonaut X posted were all that we had to go on when Super Paper Mario or some other possible high-profile 2D release was being showcased. Would cries of "IT LOOKS A DS GAME!!! WTF?!" go up in the case, too?

So, I think it's still a bit too early to say anything about it looking like crap, when we have yet to see at least what a passable Famitsu magazine scan may be able to tell us, much less an actual direct-feed.

These shots are all that we have, because some one leaked 'em before Nintendo was ready. So again, of course it's not going to be high quality, and its unfair to attack the game in this area until we DO see some better screen grabs.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hopefully they'll give the game a decent level of challenge... that is what I fear the most since it could ruin the game way more than a its supposed shorteness.

TreIII

Dash Kappei said:
Hopefully they'll give the game a decent level of challenge... that is what I fear the most since it could ruin the game way more than a its supposed shorteness.

And even there, we don't exactly know what they mean by "20 stages", or whatever was the quoted number. It could be 20 stages with any number of sub-sections between 'em, with one such sub-section making up what most people would call the ideal length for a "level". Or it could be more like Mario 64, and the stages are very large, but have different goals within them.

Or they might "Metroid" it up even more than previous entrants in the franchise, which wouldn't be so shocking, considering Gunpei Yokoi created the series, and you can still see how some of his overall design choices persisted up to Wario Land 4.

So...again, there's a lot we have yet to learn about this game. Ideally, we could actually start getting some answers this week, if not beginning tonight...

TreIII said:
So, I think it's still a bit too early to say anything about it looking like crap, when we have yet to see at least what a passable Famitsu magazine scan may be able to tell us, much less an actual direct-feed.

These shots are all that we have, because some one leaked 'em before Nintendo was ready. So again, of course it's not going to be high quality, and its unfair to attack the game in this area until we DO see some better screen grabs.
I guess you're right. We'll have to wait for Famitsu for those scans, and then E3 for some videos. Though, I'm not one to really complain about graphics. I just hope this Wario game will live up to the other Wario Land games (I've only played the first two though, and that was years ago).

Top Bottom