• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 box art and details

Falchion

The gunplay was admittedly quite nice though, though the game really didn't seem to want you to use it if you played it correctly.

The gameplay was at its absolute best when you ran around with the silenced pistol you get in the beginning, plug a dude in the head, move around to a different position, use some hacks, then repeat. So much fun.

I've been quite surprised that a bunch of people who participate in a hobby that is often harshly judged by others are so judgmental of other people.

No, I don't dress like the characters (or real life hipsters for that matter). But... to each their own and all that. I have never looked at someone and said "Wow, what a douche" because of how they choose to express themselves. Why would I care?

I've played plenty of games where the characters' style of dress is different - It's never made me not want to play if it turns out to be a good game.

rapunzel_zpshiruxmsi.jpg

sjay1994

This. It's like twitch chat in this topic. So much complaining for a game that allows you to customize the character's outfit.

... I just realized the motivation of the main character is he wants to eliminate labels due to the fact he was wrongly labelled as a criminal.

And people are labeling him as edgy, hipster, cringe, douche etc.

This feels super intentional.

Davide

What I have learned is people here have no idea what the words edgy, hipster and douche even mean.

Hell, I don't even know what they mean.

They are labels people use to try to describe things they do not like or understand.
Kind of contradictory to say that you know people are using these words incorrectly when you say you also don't know what these words mean.

... I just realized the motivation of the main character is he wants to eliminate labels due to the fact he was wrongly labelled as a criminal.

You're right. That's kinda awesome narrative.

Boke1879

I've been quite surprised that a bunch of people who participate in a hobby that is often harshly judged by others are so judgmental of other people.

No, I don't dress like the characters (or real life hipsters for that matter). But... to each their own and all that. I have never looked at someone and said "Wow, what a douche" because of how they choose to express themselves. Why would I care?

I've played plenty of games where the characters' style of dress is different - It's never made me not want to play if it turns out to be a good game.

Yea I don't care at all lol. The game seems self aware. I mean it's funny people are getting mad at the stickers on the laptop when people on various forums say the same stupid shit.

I'm sure the makers of the game know that and it's almost mocking them in a way. I mean you have people like this. Obviously not using a phone to hack shit, and shoot people but It's a game exaggerating that culture.

The first game probably took itself too damn serious. Story wise it'll probably be better for them to lighten the tone a bit.

Yeah. Sure. Winkyface.

Boke1879

It's just so fucking meta lol.

Davide

...isn't this game about playing as a criminal?

Looks like he's angry about being labelled as a criminal so he actually becomes a criminal...logic.

Davide

They have no meaning. No one knows what they mean. They are nothing words.
Except they're really not.

douchey: (typically of a man or his behavior) obnoxious or contemptible.
hipster: a person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially those regarded as being outside the cultural mainstream.
edgy: informal, at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.

All dictionary terms.

Order

I like it

Disgraced

If we're using edgy as Aerosmith defined it it's super accurate.

There's somethin' wrong with the world today
I don't know what it is
Something's wrong with our eyes
We're seein' things in a different way
And God knows it ain't his
It shore ain't no surprise

Maybe over-used here but whatever. It's a thing that happens with words.

sjay1994

hipster: a person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially those regarded as being outside the cultural mainstream.

All dictionary terms.

But do people here use it in those contexts?

Look at what he is wearing, he must be a douche. Nothing to do with his behavior or actions, simply based on what he is wearing.

He is a hipster, because I have never seen a studded jacket before, or because he has buttons on his vest.

And as if anyone here is using the word edgy to represent them saying "that is an experimental or avant garde"

They are words with no meaning now, in a similar way that people use "fuck", "visceral", "iconic" etc.

All dictionary terms.

So then everyone is just using them the wrong way. Got it.

There are only a handful of franchises I actually root against. I believe myself to be one of the least cynical and overly critical users on this board.

That said, this is too priceless.

Davide

But do people here use it in those contexts?
I would say yes, absolutely.

And he seems douchey as a main character going by his personality/actions already. He's falsely labelled as a criminal and out of anger becomes a criminal. Hacks into news networks, companies, cuts off power to the whole city it looks like too, probably a lot more. Of course, that comes in part with the entire idea of the game, but still.

sjay1994

I would say yes, absolutely.

And he seems douchey as a main character going by his personality/actions already. He's falsely labelled as a criminal and out of anger becomes a criminal. Hacks into news networks, companies, cuts off power to the whole city it looks like too, probably a lot more. Of course, that comes in part with the entire idea of the game, but still.

Ever hear about something called the labeling theory?

It was a sociological theory that lost favor around the 70's but is used to show the impacts of labels on a person.

If caught and condemned, the person is labeled as a deviant, and hobbled with this identity of stigma. They are asked to bear the burden of maintaining their stigma and to play the role of the deviant, in effect, not challenging the right of people to label them in a way that hurts them. Due to either the internalization of their spoiled identity or the reduction of the opportunities, they will often have to commit additional acts of deviance; this is called secondary deviance.

Also, this is just a video game in the end. You have the option to not kill or harm anyone in the game, despite you are still a hacker committing criminal behavior.

I still think people are using those words as nothing because they simply dislike or don't understand what they are looking at.

Lijik

The writing in the first game was so bad that im worried this new crew is going to be 20 hours of this but i'd love to be proven wrong.

I think the character designs are okay, but especially with the mask dude and the robot thing, they all feel slightly more exaggerated than the world they occupy in? Like if the games San Fran was slightly more cyberpunky to match their slightly more cyberpunky vibe. The heightened aspects of the first game like the virtual trip minigames or that art show with the fake deadmau5 were the best parts, itd be fun if Ubisoft leaned into those aspects more.

I think id be a lot more excited about this game if it wasnt a follow up to a game I had a mostly rotten time with.

Also, this is just a video game in the end. You have the option to not kill or harm anyone in the game, despite you are still a hacker committing criminal behavior.

I still think people are using those words as nothing because they simply dislike or don't understand what they are looking at.

btw

I love that you guys are both fighting over your right to defend or attack a fictional video game character like it actually matters.

Squire

Banned
I'm just mad because they got so close to the classic "dressed by the internet" style and messed it up with the sleeves, sneaker color and tacky jeans.

all much better imo

hacker girl's mismatched stockings, graphic sweatshirt and whatever the guy on the far left is are the worst offenders by far

You realize Marcus' clothing is changeable, right? It's not just a static character model. I'd bet you can buy a version of everything in those three pics. You can already see those shorts in the gameplay footage.

SystemBug

There is a point where arguing for or against elements in fiction becomes ridiculous.

This is NeoGAF. We have plenty of examples.
But his clothing is clearly inspired by street wear and steet fashion. Clothes a lot of minorities can be seen wearing in cities. Just because he ain't dressed in a plaid shirt doesn't mean the character design should be ridiculed.

kvn

The only thing feeling a bit forced is the "you are in ctrl" marketing line, which has nothing to do with the game itself and was probably coined by the marketing team to try to market the sequel in a different way than its predecessor.

The gameplay videos don't warrant all the effortless and unimaginative negativity thrown around here. I'm not defending this game or whatever but when has discussion become so shitty in this forum?

Ascenion

This gif has a lot of potential.

Damn, that guy would be a better protagonist for me, far more in the tone of the game than Marcus.

How can you know the tone of the game when we haven't played it? Marcus seems to fit just fine to me, although this dudes design is better.

That boy Delsin Rowe from Infamous Second Son.

delsinrowe.jpg

His clothes actually matched too.

So you prefer pacific northwest stylings?

because we in cali now bby. Delsin Rowe looks like a rebellious young adult from the outskirts of Seattle. Marcus looks like a rebellious young adult from San Fran.

For as much as people dropped the word 'hipster' in this thread, there's no questioning where Delsin Rowe's design stems from... Seattle-area hipster culture. Which is awesome. It's a great design.

Feels like the people who made this game, or had the idea for this type of aesthetic, were teens during the whole 90s "cool dude yeah this is rad bro awesome man" era. I was a kid then in elementary and looking back at it, nah. Just seems forced like they want it to be that type of "cool rad awesome" thing but it's not working out well.

You ever party in San Francisco?

I liked the part where he "hacked" a ~40 year old muscle car.

Nanomachines, breh.

Tosyn_88

I don't find the characters to be annoying because at least I can safely say we don't know much about them aside from what they look like. This isn't that archetype black guy that's buff and has a deep voice that's common in media. I really look forward to the day when ethnic minorities and women will become part of a regular norm rather than the surprise

Sou Da

Yep and they clearly did that to a lot of designs in T7/FR like with Jin's "armor hoody".

That boy Delsin Rowe from Infamous Second Son.

delsinrowe.jpg

His clothes actually matched too.

Delsin looks like a jean jacket wearing dork, MC here actually has some steez

cordy

Banned
So you prefer pacific northwest stylings?

because we in cali now bby. Delsin Rowe looks like a rebellious young adult from the outskirts of Seattle. Marcus looks like a rebellious young adult from San Fran.

For as much as people dropped the word 'hipster' in this thread, there's no questioning where Delsin Rowe's design stems from... Seattle-area hipster culture. Which is awesome. It's a great design

Nanomachines, breh.

I'm from the South and I see people dressing like Delsin everywhere, it's not really a a look that mostly exists around Seattle. That's a look that exists most places.

This guy? Nah bruh, looks lame as well. I don't rock with it.

Sou Da

Nah bruh, the main character of this game can't match his clothes. I don't rock with it.

This sounds like some 2013 era thinking or something. If everything you got on is new, you don't even need to match.

Least that's how it works in here in Miami for the non-fuccbois.

EDIT: Obviously there are limits to this lest you want to look like a Haitian sterotype.

Thin White Duke

Neo Member
Looks nice and colourful. I was kind of hoping we'd be playing as a cool girl like Clara was, though. I know that actually having her be the protagonist wouldn't have been possible, but dammit, I'd would've loved a new character in a similar vein or a prequel with her.

Top Bottom